Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It's definitely pretty hard at the beginning but if you do all the side quests and stuff you'll eventually be strong enough not to worry too much about most fights. But yeah at the beginning and then in the expansions you can definitely get hosed up if you're not real careful each fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

julian assflange posted:

I had never played the others but this is one of my favourite games ever. Near the end of Blood and Wine :smith: I'll miss you Geralt

I was seriously depressed when I realized I was done with TW3 lol. Like I was moping around my house irl that I was suddenly thrust into a post-Witcher 3 world.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I tried to play Geralt as a lone wolf but ended up stumbling dick-first into the girl from Hearts of Stone anyway.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The DLC's amazing. Hearts of Stone is one of my favorite video game stories in a long while.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I hated Olgierd so much that I did the optional mission to learn how to save his soul just so I could specifically refuse to do so.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I figured that Geralt would have wanted to spite both of them for making him do a bunch of convoluted nonsense to settle their own score but at the end of the day I at least owed Master Mirror for the tip at the start of the base game and busting me out of the Olfieri ship while Olgierd was a dick who didn't do anything for me. And Gaunter was a bro anyway. That scene where he just casually sticks a spoon in that dude's brain lmfao.

I absolutely refused any reward from him though. I know better than that at least.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The fighting mechanics are solid if not particularly remarkable and it looks really cool with Geralt jumping and pirouetting around all over the place so I think it's good.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Hey now, I found that the books were good! Not to everyone's liking (at least, the main saga wouldn't be) sure, but I liked 'em.

I like the books a lot but I wish he had done a lot more short stories than novels. The first couple books where each story was Geralt taking a contract or investigating something weird were great and a much better fit for the universe imo.

I'm probably going to end up buying TW3 again so that I can replay it and catch all the references to the books that I missed in my first playthrough.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Don't be too sad yet, the expansions are amazing and some of the best content in the game.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

extremebuff posted:

i didnt touch gwent once and im not dong it on the second run either. i know it adds another layer to the game and theres a lot of unique dialogue behind it but i just wanna be middle ages batman

I couldn't get into it at first so I just ignored it. After beating all the regular missions I tried going back to it and actually enjoyed it but kept getting my rear end kicked because I just had the lovely starter deck and not all the cool cards I guess I should have been winning in Gwent games from the beginning so I gave up again. Maybe when I finally get around to playing it again to catch all the book references I missed the first time.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

goferchan posted:

lol this is true . i feel like they did a very intentional good job in W3 of creating suspense related to events that occurred in the books/previous games for people who aren't familiar with them. it's written in a way that is extremely friendly to series newcomers

Yeah, they somehow managed to tie up plot threads and characters from five books and two games but in a way that seemed really smooth (no "well, as you know, Geralt...") and easy to get into without any prior knowledge of the series.

I still want to replay the game now that I've actually read the books and see how many references I just completely missed because they seemed so natural.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Played Witcher 3 entirely on a controller because I'm a filthy console player

:hai:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I've had feelings before where I've wished I could remove all memory of a book or film from my head so I could experience it for the first time again but this is the first and only game I've thought that about. Especially now that I've read the books and things like Regis's resurrection would be so much more meaningful than "oh I guess Geralt knew this guy at some point."

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It’s not really possible to screw up your spec, I just kinda listened to my gut with no overall plan when choosing abilities and I never once felt like I did something wrong. I’d recommend just putting points into the standard “hitting things with your swords” skills to begin with and then just play around with signs, potions, etc until you find something that works for you to focus on.

julian assflange posted:

Mad jealous of people discovering W3 for the first time

:hai:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

lmao. rip.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Blood and Wine has more unique content than a lot of $60 games, it’s unbelievable that CDR made it as a $20 DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah the wedding was one of my favorite parts of the whole game. Especially if you play Possessed Geralt as extremely suave and smooth and Regular Geralt as the most unromantic clod on the planet.

• Locked thread