Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

NickRoweFillea posted:

This game is really loving good.

:omarcomin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-egGn5WYrk

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

beepstreet posted:

Just made it to the Baron again... I did cat school skills and gear last time. I've heard alchemy builds are really tight so I might try that out. I maxed out the Igni intensity skill and one shotted the crew that tries to fight you when you're leaving White Orchard with it, lol. I'm gonna max out bombs at least.

I oneshotted the whole group in the inn with grapeshot so in the following cutscene the whole room was drenched in gore while bystanders were screaming and vomiting. I don't think the devs meant that scene to be quite so hardcore.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Jerkops posted:

This plays at the beginning of w3 iirc, and yeah all of their cinematics are amazing. Blizzard-level quality imo

No, it's the one where Geralt is tracking Yennefer across a battlefield. Segues straight into White Orchard.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Action Tortoise posted:

yeah, it was weird for the plot to immediately go to the foglet infested mountain where you infiltrate the party and kill the biggest guy in the hunt.

Not at all. Ciri's uncontrolled explosion almost annihilated the Wild Hunt's entire expedition to Kaer Morhen. They weren't going anywhere near her again until they were ready.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Action Tortoise posted:

how does ciri know about the party and that the big guy was attending it? is there someone there relaying info to her?

i dunno, it just feels like a plot hole to me.

Well, besides the sage telling her, she already overheard the Crones talking about Imlerith. But I agree it was forced. I got the sense that they cut a link in the story somewhere between Kaer Morhen and Bald Mountain.* Still, the last stage of the game is meant to feel rushed compared to the search that occupies the first 80%. You're trying to find a way to ambush the Wild Hunt before they recover from Kaer Morhen. It's a dramatic change of pace, but it makes perfect sense as a rapid escalation to a climax.

*I also wish Weavess's survival was addressed outside of the miserable ending that you'd have to be a complete moron to trigger and probably had to look up on YouTube. Fighting the Wicked Witch in B&W went a little ways toward that, but only indirectly.

Bobnumerotres posted:

lmfao at the post that got larry probed

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

BBJoey posted:

I preferred hearts of stone because of how tight the story is but blood and wine is real good

Yeah, Blood & Wine's story is all over the map. It's not bad at all, but it's not literary like Hearts of Stone—in the sense that HoS made you feel like you were creating a folk tale for later generations because its plot was so lean and carefully structured. Blood and Wine reverts to the main game's kind of story, which doesn't feel as urgent (A) because you're not trying to escape the inexorably tightening grip of a bargain with the Devil and (B) there's just so much poo poo to do you feel like you can put off the vampire investigation to renovate your manor and play gwent and arbitrate undead marital spats. Only the first couple hours of B&W match the pace and structure of HoS.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Gamer With Dignity posted:

the witcher 3 is a great game if you love soap operas

It's only a strange and cretinous minority of Witcher 3 players that insists on playing the game like it's a Bioware RPG whose only meaningful choice is which peppy bisexual party member you bang. True connoisseurs of CD Projekt Red's oeuvre relish even the subtlest narrative flourishes of their magnum opus, such as the little-known side quest wherein its protagonist "Geralt" finds a note on the beach and must swim to a chest located a short distance from shore in order to retrieve the priceless treasure to which the note refers.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

julian assflange posted:

Just played a great quest in B&W where Roach can talk and it's ftw.

It's pretty well hidden, too. I didn't find it until my second playthrough.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

goferchan posted:

cool, thank you for the heads up. is there anything cool/missable in white orchard that i need to do before killing the griffin? iirc i'm pretty sure you can come back afterwards, i just don't remember if beating the boss locks you out of any side quests

Killing the griffin doesn't lock you out of anything. The trigger for leaving White Orchard is speaking to Vesemir in the inn after going to the Nilfgaardian garrison for a reward.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Steve Shultz posted:

I love the references to him in Blood and Wine with the cursed spoon wraith that got visited by a man selling mirrors.

The dwarves trapped on the Isle of Mists also got tricked into going there by a mirror merchant. Gaunter's loving around all over the world.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I will say though that if you care a lot about getting a good ending for the main plot then you might want to do a little research because it's really easy to screw up

Just save often, imo. The only thing that's easily missable (the ribbon) is still pretty close to the end and if you decide you hate the ending you get you can just reload. You really, really don't want one really off-the-wall thing spoiled (the book). Otherwise just follow good advice when you hear it. The "bad" decision is really strongly telegraphed.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

a Loving Dog posted:

whats the best drat way to get gold

a mod to reduce the vendor prices of items

otherwise clear ?s, even back in Velen. Loot from chests scales to a point and will sell for quite a bit.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

extremebuff posted:

love how the crones are built up in the story

Yeah, nothing until the first DLC comes close to the Crones as villains, particularly not the Wild Hunt. You feel their influence all over Velen long before they're so much as named.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
"No, I couldn't possibly accept 20 crowns for ridding your village of that noonwraith, you need that to help your sick daughter." [while shaking her upside down to get her jewelry]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
The cutscene at the start of Blood and Wine where the knight is charging a windmill on horseback, like "haha, he thinks it's a giant, like Don Quixote," and then a literal giant bursts through the wall of the windmill with a peacock-feathered wine barrel as a helmet and swinging the millstone like a hammer was an unbeatable moment in Gaming. Just... just... *kisses fingers*

• Locked thread