Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Playing Geralt while possessed by a ghost, hitting on your ex girlfriend, the way he walks. It's so great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

They're kind of different experiences. HoS had a better story that felt like cut content reintegrated into the main story, while B&W felt like a proper epilogue to the series. Both really good.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Nah

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I really screwed up the end because I thought they'd give me a second chance to impart some information and they very much did not. Was a bittersweet end that fits perfectly w the Witcher universe though so I wasn't too disappointed.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Both dlc's have crazy money-sinks in them. Between the runes, the master craft armor, and your house, the cost is insane.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

goddamn blood and wine is a really big expansion

It feels bigger and has more content than most full priced games.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Some Witcher news:

https://twitter.com/PlatigeImage/status/864787632991219712

A lot of potential for this to be poo poo, but cautiously optimistic.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I feel it has to be non-Geralt stories, like during the height of witcher prominence. Seeing anyone play Geralt and speak in not-Geralt voice would instantly turn people off. That said, this is a deal the book guy made who is extremely mad about the videogames for some reason.

In a perfect world it would be a series revolving around Lambert.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Plutonis posted:

The games are like the only reason people outside of Poland are reading his books why would he complain

My guess is he's an old man.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Blood and Wine is great to just ride around in. The environments are so great, and the people there don't hate your guts for no reason.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I don't think there was ever a point where I felt rich. I was close in the vanilla game but eventually with the expansions between runes, master crafting, and the house, I was pretty quickly broke once again.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Buy all the gwent cards you can. Even early on at the expense of other things you think you need.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

extremebuff posted:

also yeah white orchard (the starting zone) is a little safe island for you to try out the game's mechanics. i'd advise exploring it though, it's really small and you'll find some reaaaally nice early boosts if you help out the locals. but i think the most dangerous thing in the area is like, a local bear lol

I remember one spot having some drowners in the teens for level I had to go back eventually to clear out, but it was just a random ? in a lake iirc. Nothing too important.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

An important thing to remember is that quen does't have bleedthrough. If you are playing on death march or doing some kind of gimmick that makes you unable to take a hit just spam quens while you wittle the enemies down.

Between quen and the quick dodge button, you almost have to try to get hit.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

extremebuff posted:

i didnt know installing mods for this was so easy. auto apply oils is a must

There's an auto-loot mod that's a lifesaver.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I liked 1 more than 2 fwiw. It has definitely not aged well, but the story is pretty good and certainly helps you feel more invested in old Gerry by the time you reach the third game.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

01011001 posted:

same, but i probably wouldn't replay either

I only did the scoiatel path on each of the previous games so eventually I plan on going through it again for the humans.

I think they're both worth going through on easy for the story.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

extremebuff posted:

all the better balance mods for witcher 3 involve either making you a god with every skill maxed out and selling things gives you more gold than buying them, or it makes it so that you have to be naked with 1 sword or youre over max weight and everything murders you

I took mostly QOL mods like fast travel from anywhere and auto-looting.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

This is the only game I've ever beaten and immediately started a new game on. It's enough for me to simply beat a game.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

is Witcher 1 really that bad

They basically had to borrow an engine that wasn't suited for the kind of game they were making, so kinda?

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

how many hours does everyone have? I prob have 30 in my ps4 save and 63 in my PC one im currently on

143 hours over 2 play-throughs. First one vanilla, second with both DLC's. I'm not really a completionist though, so there are lots of quests I missed or skipped.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

P-Mack posted:

I kinda like missing things in games. Makes the world feel larger.

Lends itself better to replays as well.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Controller.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, like the sad Velen violins got tiresome because I kept going back to Crow's nest to sell armor and the Skellige music grating on me is my own fault for finding all the ?s, but it does a decent job of mostly being subtle enough that 100s of hours later, you don't want to murder the person who wrote it.

The Velen music is probably the one I got most tired of, and also the one that randomly pops into my head the most. The soundtrack is really good.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Palpek posted:

It's a game that makes people who finished it come back to the thread just to vicariously relive the experience of playing it for the first time through other people's posts.

Absolutely. It's crazy to me how much this game has stuck with me. Every few days I get the urge to start a new game.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Gwent is so much better than dice poker it's silly.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

One of the witcher devs made a free immersion/balance mod

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2788/

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Checked the thread a few days ago and lolled. Forgot about it, checked in today and lolled all over again.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

They really are and I can’t help but feel Cyberpunk 2077 will be a day one purchase.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I like in-game gwent more than the stand alone version. It’s rad that they turned it into a full game, but it isn’t nearly as fun as the original sidegame.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah every time someone experiences something for the first time in W3 I get super envious. I wish i could wipe my memory and play it all again for the first time.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

My favorite part of B&W is how the people don’t all loving hate your guts. The majority of the populace is happy to have Geralt’s help. Combine that with the beautiful, untouched-by-brutal-war scenery, and it’s just a wonderful victory lap of an expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Neurosis posted:

is there anything in the dlc as funny as geralt and his buddies getting gently caress drunk

Possessed Geralt hitting on Shani at a wedding was pretty great. Pretty much everything involving that wedding is excellent.

• Locked thread