Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Scam took 1st and 2nd in Saturday's challenge. Deck is legit and going to just increase in popularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Look at you idiots paying mana for spells. You idiots. You loving morons.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

HootTheOwl posted:

Look at you idiots paying mana for spells. You idiots. You loving morons.

Modern.txt

I had a epiphany a few weeks ago that the Rhinos deck (really any Cascade deck) is just an exercise in "how many ways can I take advantage of the rules around printed mana costs?"

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Modern.txt

I had a epiphany a few weeks ago that the Rhinos deck (really any Cascade deck) is just an exercise in "how many ways can I take advantage of the rules around printed mana costs?"

Pretty big reason for me stepping away from the game.

Plus any new deck will cost me $500 in cards that can be cast for zero mana.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
After years away from the game I've been playing premodern lately, and it's great because it's a format that WotC can't possibly go and gently caress up (and also no expensive dual lands and as an unsanctioned format they let you play gold bordered cards).

It is in large part a nostalgia trip as well, but the games are genuinely great to play out a lot of the time.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Premodern is the only way I have any interest in playing this game anymore. Even if it was 100% proxies I have zero interest in any format wotc has any ability to print new cards for.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 12, 2022

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

Premodern is the only waty I have any interest in playing this game anymore. Even if it was 100% proxies I have zero interest in any format wotc has any ability to print new cards for.

You've been quitting magic for 3 years now steve

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

It's been a lot longer than that. I don't even have a constructed deck outside of premodern at this point. And I'm like $500/8-12 cards away from having one thanks to being on strike when mh2 released.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
You don't even have to be an old grog to play premodern, you can just pick up madness for $50. A fair bit of the true aggro decks can be had pretty cheap too.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

It's been a lot longer than that. I don't even have a constructed deck outside of premodern at this point. And I'm like $500/8-12 cards away from having one thanks to being on strike when mh2 released.

Relationship to Magic status: It's Complicated

Mezzanon posted:

Pretty big reason for me stepping away from the game.

Plus any new deck will cost me $500 in cards that can be cast for zero mana.

To be fair, 90% of my move away from Modern is a larger move away from paper Magic over the last few years due to the sequence of COVID -> LGS re-opens but cedes 60-card Constructed to the other store in town that's further away -> we move further away from both LGSs -> we have a baby. And clearly a lot of people, if they aren't in love with Modern, at least enjoy it enough to roll with its current punches. I'm just not willing to put in the practice or money that present-day Modern demands, and that's OK! But I should probably just stop putting it off and just sell my Modern stuff that isn't currently sleeved up (which is most of it).

I'm actually hoping that Pioneer picks up a little more here, I have Boros Prowess almost built and the BG Midrange deck I enjoyed in late 2019 got a couple of nice shots in the arm with Sheoldred and LotV. Once the kid becomes a little easier to solo I could be convinced to venture out for a local Pio event.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I played magic in paper twice since my child was born and the last time my mind was so broken I played goblins in modern not even remembering how to do the combo. I went 2-1 and that was the last time I touched a card to play, 6 ish months ago.

Coincidentally by not playing alot of magic I feel like I have alot more money for baby stuff

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
is the proliferation of Leyline Binding in Modern going to make Yawgmoth combo worse?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bust Rodd posted:

is the proliferation of Leyline Binding in Modern going to make Yawgmoth combo worse?

Yes. But I feel most of those decks already had access to solitude.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

GoutPatrol posted:

I played magic in paper twice since my child was born and the last time my mind was so broken I played goblins in modern not even remembering how to do the combo. I went 2-1 and that was the last time I touched a card to play, 6 ish months ago.

Coincidentally by not playing alot of magic I feel like I have alot more money for baby stuff

I think the deep dark secret is that I never cared about actually playing Magic as much as the amount of time I spend posting about it and money I've spent on it in the past would indicate. But I think that's quite a few people lol

Like speaking of Yawg, I bought a near-complete paper 75 last year for $400 (was missing Catacombs, which I already owned). I still haven't played it and probably never will at this rate. Sad!

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

HootTheOwl posted:

Yes. But I feel most of those decks already had access to solitude.

I think the two decks it gives the most to are rhinos and creativity which gives them % against yawgmoth now. For the most part I知 fully agreed though

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

I think the deep dark secret is that I never cared about actually playing Magic as much as the amount of time I spend posting about it and money I've spent on it in the past would indicate. But I think that's quite a few people lol

Like speaking of Yawg, I bought a near-complete paper 75 last year for $400 (was missing Catacombs, which I already owned). I still haven't played it and probably never will at this rate. Sad!

Sell it to me for $400.

I mostly enjoyed going to mid size events, seeing a bunch of people I know from other mid sized events, and then going for bbq with those people who I see at events.

But even that hasn稚 been as fun lately. Bleh. Bad time to play spirits and humans, im not a huge fan of playing hammer. Affinity is okay.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Think that's why I couldn't get into arena. I'd rather see and play with nice people. I've stopped playing modern lately because the format hasn't been as fun and the people I know have stopped

Legacy is fun though

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Trying to decide where to slot in the new elf lord for modern elves.

I feel like it's going to replace either shaman of the pack or the changeling, but I can't decide which makes more sense. I also sort of want to move up to 4 chords too... there was an interesting BGw toolbox version that ran the vizier combo as a one of for chords as well

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ilmucche posted:

Legacy is fun though

this

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Yup

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Today's a Modern NRG, and tomorrow pioneer.
I'm dialing in my pretakes now: 4c and Murktide, or some other deck that would be otherwise unplayable without 20 zero mana spells.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

Legacy is fun though

More and more people are saying this.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Legacy is fun though

:yeah:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Legacy IS fun! Why don't you buy these and get yourself a step in the direction of playing it?
I'm selling off a good chunk of rare and valuable magic cards at comparitively low prices!
Get your duals, and odd foils now!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679632&pagenumber=493#post529029459

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Bringing my 40k squad cards to legacy tonight. I didn't go fully into the squad post gimmick so it's probably going to suck

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

HootTheOwl posted:

Bringing my 40k squad cards to legacy tonight. I didn't go fully into the squad post gimmick so it's probably going to suck

What's this deck about?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

What's this deck about?

After one round: Losing

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I知 about to jump back into paper Modern for the first time since like 2018. I bought a bunch of MH2 when it came out and I知 thinking about building a deck around Asmoblahblah and making a bunch of food tokens, since I feel pretty allergic to just picking a meta deck. Am I gonna get completely destroyed?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Necronomicon posted:

I知 about to jump back into paper Modern for the first time since like 2018. I bought a bunch of MH2 when it came out and I知 thinking about building a deck around Asmoblahblah and making a bunch of food tokens, since I feel pretty allergic to just picking a meta deck. Am I gonna get completely destroyed?

There are some asmo food decks that exist in the meta. But if you don't know the more powerful interactions with asmo and the book then ovalchase, you might get stomped out.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Yeah, I've played against the Asmo/Cookbook/Manufactor deck a few times and it can get kinda cumbersome. One of the guys wanted to pre-emptively call a judge before he started combo'ing.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Yeah, I've played against the Asmo/Cookbook/Manufactor deck a few times and it can get kinda cumbersome. One of the guys wanted to pre-emptively call a judge before he started combo'ing.

The interactions are extremely cool, and there's a bunch of ways to build the deck (value, infinite turns, etc)

but once two academy manufactors come out, I would also call a judge

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I wasn稚 planning on running Manufactor but I might throw a copy in for fun. I知 looking at a Gruul list that produces value and Urza痴 Saga tokens, but also potentially cheating a Feasting Troll King into play by turn two. I知 considering adding an Overgrown Tomb or basic swamp to be able to cast the Ovalchases as well.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Necronomicon posted:

I wasn稚 planning on running Manufactor but I might throw a copy in for fun. I知 looking at a Gruul list that produces value and Urza痴 Saga tokens, but also potentially cheating a Feasting Troll King into play by turn two. I知 considering adding an Overgrown Tomb or basic swamp to be able to cast the Ovalchases as well.

Overgrown tomb or blood crypt as a one-of but you almost never want to cast ovalchase

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

HootTheOwl posted:

Post the list!

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Mezzanon posted:

Overgrown tomb or blood crypt as a one-of but you almost never want to cast ovalchase

Now that I think about it, in the event I actually need to cast Ovalchase I could just use one of the geese. We値l see how it shakes out this coming Friday. I got so used to playing burn back in the day but MH2 just completely transformed the format. None of the old decks are around anymore.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Necronomicon posted:

Now that I think about it, in the event I actually need to cast Ovalchase I could just use one of the geese. We値l see how it shakes out this coming Friday. I got so used to playing burn back in the day but MH2 just completely transformed the format. None of the old decks are around anymore.

That's not true because Burn is mostly unchanged in Modern and still at its usual tier. But other than Burn and tron, modern essentially rotated with MH2

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

Post the list!

If it ever wins a game I will

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Here's a fun Modern Passion project instead:

Mono R Freebies

# Land Like Objects
4x Desperate Ritual
4x Mountain
8x Red Fetchland
4x Pyretic Ritual
4x Stomping Ground
4x Strike it Rich

# enablers
4x Electrodominance
4x Finale of Promise
4x Hazoret's Undying Fury
4x Invoke Calamity

# lightning bolts
2x lightning bolt

# payoffs
4x Crashing Footfalls
1x Grapeshot
4x Increasing Vengeance
4x Wheel of Fate

//Sideboard
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Veil of Summer
3x Leyline of Sanctity
4x Leyline of the Void

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Seems like a fun list. Have you played it anywhere?

HootTheOwl posted:

Here's a fun Modern Passion project instead:

Mono R Freebies

# Land Like Objects
4x Desperate Ritual
4x Mountain
8x Red Fetchland
4x Pyretic Ritual
4x Stomping Ground
4x Strike it Rich

# enablers
4x Electrodominance
4x Finale of Promise
4x Hazoret's Undying Fury
4x Invoke Calamity

# lightning bolts
2x lightning bolt

# payoffs
4x Crashing Footfalls
1x Grapeshot
4x Increasing Vengeance
4x Wheel of Fate

//Sideboard
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Veil of Summer
3x Leyline of Sanctity
4x Leyline of the Void
:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
A little bit on mtgo. Some times when I move things main I forget to mark them on the list.
If you cast Calamity into Hazorets Undying Fury you get to cast Crashing Footfalls + Fury for 8 power + mind's desire for 4.
If you cast Invoke Calamity with an Increasing Vengance in the yard and a Footfalls either in hand or the yard, you make 24 power.
If you cast Finale of Primise with Vengance and Footfalls in the yard you make 24 power.
In addition to being able to wheel/footfalls for 2 mana with Electro Dominance/