Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

I know.

My problem isn't that they exist, it's that they're still the majority of viable decks and there's still not really a reason to play a non-linear deck. And control is still a joke.

Hey, I said "yet!" Angler comes pretty close sometimes.

But they aren't? Highest percentage of any deck played in the format is jund at 7%. There is no "majority" in modern anymore. Infect and affinity are the next two most played at 6% and 5% respectively, and infect is actually kinda bad in the meta right now but people still play it. Jeskai nahiri is the 5th most played and came in 4th and 9th at GP LA and Charlotte and is actually a pretty good deck.

Most of your comments about the format seem to come completely from a bit of a sour personal point of view but the numbers recently don't agree. In 15 rounds at GP Charlotte I played against 10 different decks off the top of my head, more in the GPT/challenge I did Friday. Sorry your personal experience hasn't been good, might just be your local scene. I don't want people to be discouraged to try modern when it's actually in a really good place now.

Legacy is fun too and I love pauper until peregrine Drake ruins it. It's me, I'm the guy that actually has fun playing magic (except EDH).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Sigh... it's really frustrating that my new LGS sucks so much. Dude puts no effort into anything, including magic events. What's worse is he won't give up the reigns. I worked at an LGS in a pretty big MTG market for five years and can help him if he'd let me. Now I finally don't work at a store and STILL can't play the drat game.

Hooray for 3 people showing up to Modern when where I moved from had multiple stores in a 30 minute radius firing 20+ person events weekly.

/Endrant

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

But they aren't? Highest percentage of any deck played in the format is jund at 7%. There is no "majority" in modern anymore. Infect and affinity are the next two most played at 6% and 5% respectively, and infect is actually kinda bad in the meta right now but people still play it. Jeskai nahiri is the 5th most played and came in 4th and 9th at GP LA and Charlotte and is actually a pretty good deck.

Most of your comments about the format seem to come completely from a bit of a sour personal point of view but the numbers recently don't agree. In 15 rounds at GP Charlotte I played against 10 different decks off the top of my head, more in the GPT/challenge I did Friday. Sorry your personal experience hasn't been good, might just be your local scene. I don't want people to be discouraged to try modern when it's actually in a really good place now.

Legacy is fun too and I love pauper until peregrine Drake ruins it. It's me, I'm the guy that actually has fun playing magic (except EDH).

Sure but I don't care at all about GPs. I care about MTGO because that's the only place I realistically get to play modern more than once a year, and all I ever play against is burn/burn pretending it's zoo, infect, Ad Nauseam, Dredge, Storm, basically anything except the decks that actually lead to interesting games. I still have yet to see any evidence that the UWR deck is actually good instead of not wildly unplayable like control used to be.

So sure maybe modern is fun if you play at GPs or something but on MTGO it's as terrible as it's ever been and until WotC actually starts caring about card accessibility it's going to keep being a terrible goldfish fest.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

One week to EMA as of today :3:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Skyl3lazer posted:

Just learned my store is doing $35 24-player drafts for the first month it's out, with 8 EMA packs going to the winner of each 8-player pod (4 for 2nd, 1 for 3rd/4th). Super tempted to sign up for one at those odds even though I'm not a great Limited player.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I can't wait to not spend $100 to play EMA sealed!

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
One local store doesn't have a huge supply but they're doing a hush-hush limited thing for regulars. Haven't heard how much they plan to price it but it's cool to know I at least have the option.

I'm mostly looking forward to finding out what the official Japanese name of Force of Will is, since everyone I know in Japan just calls it "Will." Sometimes cards get good localizations but a lot of them are overly literal in ways that don't really carry the same gravity as they do in English, and I'm interested in seeing how they come up with new names for things that have been established in players' minds for years.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
My store is doing nothing but drafts of EMA when it comes out, $35/draft, limited to 3 drafts/person/day, to deal with their limited allotment. Should be good.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

Skyl3lazer posted:

Maybe 75 cards in that set aren't garbage. The drat thing's a disappointment.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Anyone disappointed in EMA had expectations they should have realized were unrealistic from the start. (Or they were holding off on buying their Rishadan Ports, I guess.) It's completely in line with the other paper Masters sets we've had before.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
EMA is one of the best sets ever for pauper (which is an eternal format). It might force them to ban Ghostly Flicker, but other than that I think it's a pretty amazing set for one of the more underappreciated formats. I'm pretty excited for it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Is Nimble Mongoose going to do things in Pauper?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

Is Nimble Mongoose going to do things in Pauper?

doesn't it seem very good with moldervine cloak or rancor? :haw:

joking aside you'd think you'd be able to do something with like

4 basking rootwalla
4 wild mongrel
4 circular logic
4 deep analysis
4 arrogant wurm
4 nimble mongoose

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zoness posted:

doesn't it seem very good with moldervine cloak or rancor? :haw:

joking aside you'd think you'd be able to do something with like

4 basking rootwalla
4 wild mongrel
4 circular logic
4 deep analysis
4 arrogant wurm
4 nimble mongoose

Hell, add in Careful Study and Aquamoeba and you literally have Block UG Madness (with Mongeese and extra Deep Analyses)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Mongoose seems terrible in a world full of edicts and 1 mana 5/5s. If there was a land that had island and forest as land types so you could Land Grant for an Island I'd see it being very good in a Gro type deck. Or maybe UG Delver will still be a thing. Idunno, but my brewing attempts have been remarkably unsuccessful.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
pretty hosed up if one of the coolest block decks ever can't hack it in an all common format imo.

also i dont think ug madness played mongeese but i honestly dont remember. realistically what im saying is why isnt there a threshold deck gently caress this format.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 3, 2016

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Delver is just a better threshold deck.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zoness posted:

also i dont think ug madness played mongeese but i honestly dont remember. realistically what im saying is why isnt there a threshold deck gently caress this format.

Hence, "with Mongeese"

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Zoness posted:

pretty hosed up if one of the coolest block decks ever can't hack it in an all common format imo.

I'll probably try it again with mongoose but I've tried to force pauper UG madness to exist for a while and it just doesn't get there like other decks. I played with a list similar to the above but also with careful study, waterfront bouncer, and aether burst. What ends up happening is your hand doesn't quite stay full enough and you end up without the reach or evasion to close a game. The old UG madness deck played multiples of Wonder, which the Pauper deck desperately needs to close a lot of games.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I'll probably try it again with mongoose but I've tried to force pauper UG madness to exist for a while and it just doesn't get there like other decks. I played with a list similar to the above but also with careful study, waterfront bouncer, and aether burst. What ends up happening is your hand doesn't quite stay full enough and you end up without the reach or evasion to close a game. The old UG madness deck played multiples of Wonder, which the Pauper deck desperately needs to close a lot of games.

yeah i know about wonder, it is probably a big missing piece from the deck for sure

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Network42 posted:

Delver is just a better threshold deck.
My issue with UG threshold/madness in the past has been a) your only good creature is delver (spell stutter is bad outside of monoU and mongrel is okay but not something to be excited about; you also get cheap 4/4s but they come out when other decks are casting 5/5s or fireblasting your face), b) you don't have any good removal, reach, or ways to break through a ground stall, c) your best disruption and card advantage spells (counter spell, daze, gush) are really hindered by running not-islands. Mongoose addresses (a) but not really the other two...

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 3, 2016

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Zoness posted:

With threshold you get werebear, without threshold you get angler. The 5/5 wins :(

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

Johnny Landmine posted:

Anyone disappointed in EMA had expectations they should have realized were unrealistic from the start. (Or they were holding off on buying their Rishadan Ports, I guess.) It's completely in line with the other paper Masters sets we've had before.

If your emotions disagree with our overlord, quit Magic, commit seppuku.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
Is 8 fetches enough to run 2 Grim Lavamancer in modern Boros burn?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Oraculum Animi posted:

Is 8 fetches enough to run 2 Grim Lavamancer in modern Boros burn?

Why are you only playing 8? They are great with Searing Blaze too.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Why are you only playing 8? They are great with Searing Blaze too.

Presumably because lol @ Tarns and Mesas.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

What this man said. And I have the Searing Blazes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

suicidesteve posted:

Oraculum Animi posted:

What this man said. And I have the Searing Blazes.

Play 3x Sacred Foundry 1 or 2 Plains and 2-3 Windswept Heath.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Pretty hosed up that Wizards left the best deck in the format, the Mighty Quinn, out of the gauntlet

Also, extremely hosed up that a bunch of people have explained Nic Fit and have neglected to mention you're obligated to run at least one sideboard Tsunami. it's actually in the rules.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

AgentSythe posted:

Pretty hosed up that Wizards left the best deck in the format, the Mighty Quinn, out of the gauntlet

Also, extremely hosed up that a bunch of people have explained Nic Fit and have neglected to mention you're obligated to run at least one sideboard Tsunami. it's actually in the rules.

What if you're playing BUG Nic Fit?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

What if you're playing BUG Nic Fit?

better hope you find those four river of tears to cast your jace

e: if anyone ever wants to play bad decks or bad cards, or wants extremely bad opinions on how to accomplish something in a game of constructed Magic: the gathering, I'm your man

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 6, 2016

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

AgentSythe posted:

better hope you find those four river of tears to cast your jace

e: if anyone ever wants to play bad decks or bad cards, or wants extremely bad opinions on how to accomplish something in a game of constructed Magic: the gathering, I'm your man
I don't really keep up with new sets, is there any sweet new tech to add to my nic fit doomsday deck? What about porting it to vintage?
Deck: Veteran Explorer Doomsday

//Main
4 Veteran Explorer
1 Wild Dogs
1 Elvish Spirit Guide
1 Tinder Wall
1 Broodmate Dragon
4 Summoner's Pact
4 Dark Ritual
2 Manamorphose
3 Culling the Weak
1 Dryad Arbor
1 Forest
1 Mountain
3 Swamp
4 Verdant Catacombs
2 Wooded Foothills
1 Badlands
1 Bayou
1 Taiga
1 Tendrils of Agony
1 Cruel Bargain
4 Cabal Therapy
2 Doomsday
3 Infernal Tutor
4 Burning Wish
2 Gitaxian Probe
4 Lion's Eye Diamond
1 Lotus Petal
4 Sensei's Divining Top

//Sideboard
1 Empty the Warrens
1 Tendrils of Agony
1 Natural Order
1 Hull Breach
1 Massacre
1 Thoughtseize
1 Dreadbore
1 Tremor
1 Toxic Deluge
1 Infernal Plunge
1 Infernal Tutor
1 Phyrexian Obliterator
1 Obstinate Baloth
1 Vexing Shusher
1 Ruric Thar, the Unbowed

Display deck statistics

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

eSporks posted:

I don't really keep up with new sets, is there any sweet new tech to add to my nic fit doomsday deck? What about porting it to vintage?

Spanish Inquisition is a powerful brew that you have made even more powerful by slamming some Doomsdays in there. You already have the hot Wild Dogs technology to make sure you can turn on your culling the weak/other sac cards and isn't just dead in your hand if you already have enough mana.

i mean there's nothing really that enhances the engine of the deck and you probably have the two best "manual style" creatures you can pact for so i'm pretty sure this deck is perfect

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

This list is super tight so I'm not sure what you would even want to remove, although obstinate baloth seems like the weakest link in here (I'm assuming it's a counter for burn?) and something like Worldspine Wurm might be a useful swap as a NO target / hardcastable "worship" type dealie.

Obliterator and Baloth seem like the weakest cards in here by a wide margin as everything else is pretty tightly woven into the engine except for the singleton broodmate, which doesn't have a better replacement that meets the "flies and avoids a single target removal spell" because there isn't anything larger with hexproof that flies.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Okay, this is dope, and I now know what I'm gonna practice on xmage, to see if I wanna build.
Love me some Doomsday.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

eSporks posted:

Deck: Veteran Explorer Doomsday

I'm staring at this list and I think I got an aneurysm.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
So this legacy Eldrazi deck (+ 1 Strip Mine) went 6-1-1 at a recent NYC vintage tournament: https://twitter.com/JMJACO/status/739256500061868032

I guess I really need to finish building it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you'd think wizards would have learned after the last time they decided to push a synergetic tribe of colourless dudes

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

mehall posted:

Okay, this is dope, and I now know what I'm gonna practice on xmage, to see if I wanna build.
Love me some Doomsday.
It's not good, but its really fun. It has some the wackiest lines and and attacks from so many angles that your opponent has no idea whats going on. Turn 1 natural orders are a lot more common than storm kills.

AgentSythe posted:

You already have the hot Wild Dogs technology to make sure you can turn on your culling the weak/other sac cards and isn't just dead in your hand if you already have enough mana.
Wild dogs != Wild Mongrel. Dogs is there to be a cantrip you can pact for, good for getting into doomsday piles.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

CompeAnansi posted:

So this legacy Eldrazi deck (+ 1 Strip Mine) went 6-1-1 at a recent NYC vintage tournament: https://twitter.com/JMJACO/status/739256500061868032

I guess I really need to finish building it.

My favorite part is that even though it's unpowered, he just couldn't help himself with the alters. Thing should've been crusty, faded, and with a bunch of altered white bordered Eldrazi. :evilbuddy: