Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Going to a Legacy FNM this week with borrowed Reanimator (U/B/g with Archetype of Endurance, Golgari Charm, and Abrupt Decays). Playing the deck for the first time, what advice would you guys give me? I have watched other people play the archetype and watched MODO videos.

This is pretty close to what my friend has sleeved up right now, though he did mention MD Thoughtseize. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ScarletBrother posted:

Going to a Legacy FNM this week with borrowed Reanimator (U/B/g with Archetype of Endurance, Golgari Charm, and Abrupt Decays). Playing the deck for the first time, what advice would you guys give me? I have watched other people play the archetype and watched MODO videos.

This is pretty close to what my friend has sleeved up right now, though he did mention MD Thoughtseize. Thanks!

Archetype of Endurance was bad for the very limited number of times I played this deck.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Archetype of Endurance was bad for the very limited number of times I played this deck.

Yeah but beggars can't be choosers. What would you replace it with?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ScarletBrother posted:

Yeah but beggars can't be choosers. What would you replace it with?

I like the singleton Jace or if you're on a budget, Hapless Researcher in that deck.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

mcmagic posted:

I like the singleton Jace or if you're on a budget, Hapless Researcher in that deck.

I think my buddy has a Jace I can also borrow. Thanks!

Any piloting tips?

Edit: Just realized that I'm not sure if you meant Mind Sculptor or Vryn's Prodigy...

ScarletBrother fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 6, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ScarletBrother posted:

I think my buddy has a Jace I can also borrow. Thanks!

Any piloting tips?

I always like just jamming with a deck like this and if they have the answer they just have it.

Edit. I mean Little Jace.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

mcmagic posted:

I always like just jamming with a deck like this and if they have the answer they just have it.

Edit. I mean Little Jace.

No you meant Flip Jace

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

No you meant Flip Jace

I knew he meant VP and not Jace Beleren.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

CompeAnansi posted:

So this legacy Eldrazi deck (+ 1 Strip Mine) went 6-1-1 at a recent NYC vintage tournament: https://twitter.com/JMJACO/status/739256500061868032

I guess I really need to finish building it.

Those leylines of the void are freaking awesome.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

No you meant Flip Jace

The littlest Jace.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

eSporks posted:

Wild dogs != Wild Mongrel. Dogs is there to be a cantrip you can pact for, good for getting into doomsday piles.

??????

I didn't say wild mongrel

i said it's not dead in your hand (the cycling) which can be used with pact also, and you can culling the weak/cruel bargain/cabal therapy it in pinch

Bugsy posted:

Those leylines of the void are freaking awesome.

I need to acquire them

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

AgentSythe posted:

??????

I didn't say wild mongrel

i said it's not dead in your hand (the cycling) which can be used with pact also, and you can culling the weak/cruel bargain/cabal therapy it in pinch
I completely misread what you said and I thought you were talking about discarding dead cards to wild mongrel.

I do think my faorite part of that deck is just being a storm deck with a way to flashback therapy.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Maybe this post belongs in the main MTG thread, but I don't read that one. While watching VSL they were talking about the risk of running "off color" moxes in eldrazi decks. Wizards swears that eldrazi mana is not a 6th a color, but when you start weighing the costs of off color moxen it absolutely is. After seeing these eldrazi decks play out for a while, they definitely do run into mana problems, they do get blown out by bloodmoon. It functionally plays exactly as a 6th color would. So wizards line about it not being a 6th color is BS.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I really hate the Eldrazi white manabase, it looks absolutely awful. They usually run 6 plains/karakas, 1 mox pearl, 1 black lotus, and 4 cavern for white sources with often 3+ creatures with nonoverlapping creature types(some combination of Thalia, Wingmare, Displacer, Stoneforge) and then they have cards like Rest in Peace or Disenchant in their sideboard and somehow they expect to cast all these spells. If I was playing that deck the first thing I would go would be cut 3 moxen/caverns/cities for 3 white sources. They can be plains, they can be Brushlands (if you're worried about colorless sources), they can be something else entirely, I don't care. I just don't understand how anyone can look at that manabase and go "hmm, yes, this is correct".

Elyv fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 8, 2016

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The green/white eldrazi list is actually superior to the mono-whit eone just because brushland is a triland effectively.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

L0cke17 posted:

The green/white eldrazi list is actually superior to the mono-whit eone just because brushland is a triland effectively.

I've never seen GW Eldrazi in Vintage, but I don't follow the format closely. Got a list?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Elyv posted:

I really hate the Eldrazi white manabase, it looks absolutely awful. They usually run 6 plains/karakas, 1 mox pearl, 1 black lotus, and 4 cavern for white sources with often 3+ creatures with nonoverlapping creature types(some combination of Thalia, Wingmare, Displacer, Stoneforge) and then they have cards like Rest in Peace or Disenchant in their sideboard and somehow they expect to cast all these spells. If I was playing that deck the first thing I would go would be cut 3 moxen/caverns/cities for 3 white sources. They can be plains, they can be Brushlands (if you're worried about colorless sources), they can be something else entirely, I don't care. I just don't understand how anyone can look at that manabase and go "hmm, yes, this is correct".
Yea, that decks mana is atrocious. It's a 2 color deck with no fetch lands. This is exactly what I mean, wizards takes the firm stance than eldrazi mana was not a 6th color, and some techno babble about how the mechanic has always existed and is nothing new. Then you see the constraints it puts on play and deck building, and it absolutely is a 6th color.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Elyv posted:

I've never seen GW Eldrazi in Vintage, but I don't follow the format closely. Got a list?

Its on the Mana Drain but TMD is down right now. Its under the eldrazi thread.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
PSA you can get the mirror in the legacy gauntlet on MTGO. I assumed this would not be the case, but after putting my opponent on storm he tried to go for the turn 2 study/reanimate (which was also my turn 2 play!). Thankfully I didn't study the turn before and also had force, easy games boys.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The March Hare posted:

PSA you can get the mirror in the legacy gauntlet on MTGO. I assumed this would not be the case, but after putting my opponent on storm he tried to go for the turn 2 study/reanimate (which was also my turn 2 play!). Thankfully I didn't study the turn before and also had force, easy games boys.

That's a weird but understandable decision. I wonder if someone get an all-painter bracket.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

eSporks posted:

Yea, that decks mana is atrocious. It's a 2 color deck with no fetch lands. This is exactly what I mean, wizards takes the firm stance than eldrazi mana was not a 6th color, and some techno babble about how the mechanic has always existed and is nothing new. Then you see the constraints it puts on play and deck building, and it absolutely is a 6th color.
Except it's not a 6th color. Sources that make mana "of any color" do not produce colorless.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
So it plays exactly like a 6th color, but worse.

Lol.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
Played Miracles in a League run, mirror match 4 out of 6 matches (had one nullified for a feature/bug issue).

Go to run the Gauntlet... get Miracles.

Sigh.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

eSporks posted:

I mean, you're right; it is effectively a sixth color. It's possibly to build a decent 2 color manabase without fetches, though. You just might have to make some sacrifices.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
The worst thing about legacy gauntlet is absolutely the basic lands btw.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

The March Hare posted:

I know, I almost puked. The upside to getting the deck I actually play is that I know the match-ups really well.

Poor poor Lands guy...

edit: pretty easy 3-0. First two matches were walkovers. Third match was tough, guy was a good player that got Shardless BUG, but I Blood Moon'd him out game 2 and 3.

empathe fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 8, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's the 6th color and it owns.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

The March Hare posted:

What basics are they using?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Cernunnos posted:

What basics are they using?

SoI

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Wow. That's actually lame.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

They should 100% be using Unhinged Basics and Expeditions where possible.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

empathe posted:

They should 100% be using Unhinged Basics and Expeditions where possible.

Each deck should have a different theme - some should be all foiled expeditions, some should be using revised basics to match their white border duals (are duals white border on MTGO?), one deck should be unglued, one judge promos, etc etc.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
There are no white-bordered duals on MTGO, unfortunately.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Can you "fix" the basic lands the same way you do when putting your draft deck together?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Elyv posted:

http://www.themanadrain.com/topic/350/white-eldrazi/4

For gw eldrazi. The main takeaway is bushland and horizon canopy are insane, and Noble hierarch pushes you over the top in the mirror, allowing you to push through damage with exalted triggers and wasteland more without colorscrewing yourself. YMMV of course, but it looks great to me.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
A guy playing Mardu Nahiri control went undefeated in my Modern FNM, was a pretty cool looking deck. I think this is a pretty close deck list to what he ran http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/422212#online

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Ran a second Legacy Gauntlet, got Punishing Knight. 3-0'd vs. all blue decks.
Blue is clearly overrated.

Match 1 vs. ANT
Game 1: Opened w/ Chalice on 1 w/ a Mox Diamond, matter of time.
Game 2: He Empty'd on turn 2 for 6 dudes, forgot to sideboard out Maze of Iths which actually saved me lol. GSZ's for a Scavenging Ooze and eventually stuck a Liliana.

Match 2 vs. Shardless BUG
Game 1: Wasteland locked him pretty hard on Loam. He scooped pretty early. Nothing like getting that Ancestral Vision with no lands in play, huh?
Game 2: Stuck a choke on turn 3 after he Decay'd my Sylvan Library. Got a Liliana and Punishing/Grove up. He flooded after that and eventually got out from under Choke but at that point he was top decking.

Match 3 vs. Sneak and Show
Game 1: He forced by Chalice on 1 and eventually played a Show and Tell. I put a Knight into play. He drew 7 cards, discarded to hand size on his turn. I untap, play Liliana. He draws another 7 to find force, whiffs, and I have him sac and swing lethal with Knight.
Game 2: He show and tells an Emrakul into play on Turn 2, I put in a Knight. Cast Containment Priest which sticks and Knight for Karakas and then bounce Emrakul. He blood moons, I chalice on 1. Clock him w/ the 4/4 Knight and Priest while he hopes for Blue Mana (which he took himself off of).

GG ez QP ez 30 fun points.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Can wizards please make a playable red planes-walker with a + ability other than loot?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

eSporks posted:

Can wizards please make a playable red planes-walker with a + ability other than loot?

Legacy playable? Sounds dubious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

Legacy playable? Sounds dubious.
I'd settle for any format really. I think the last one we had was koth right?

Ok, I guess its not as bad I thought, but 1/4 red planeswalkers have a loot ability.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 12, 2016