Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

I actually bring in 1 wear/tear in the dark vs ANT for carpet of flowers, grid, city and other random stuff - at worst it's a 1/2 for counterbalance. If I see a target I bring in the other one for game 3.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sigma-X posted:

Defense Grid and City of Solitude are basically Duresses that are immune to Flusterstorm, and that you want to play early rather than holding for your critical turn like you do with discard spells.

We ran two D.Grid in our ANT deck's side for a while and against control matchups you would just swap them in for two of the duress effects.

They avoid creature kill that people bring in / keep in for Xantid Swarm and they are very hard to remove as most people do not keep a lot of artifact/enchantment hate in their deck.

I can see City potentially being preferable in the Miracles matchup as they don't have Abrupt Decay and they can't flip into a lot of 3s and they definitely didn't bring/keep Wear//Tear against your 4 LEDs.

Also the aforementioned inability to top during your turn.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

The March Hare posted:

Are there any legacy decks you can build 100% out of promos? I think the closest I've found is d&t.

If you count the premium deck series as a promo burn can be 100% promos. Even if you don't count it I think you can come pretty close.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Network42 posted:

If you count the premium deck series as a promo burn can be 100% promos. Even if you don't count it I think you can come pretty close.

Swiftspear?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

And eidolon.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

little munchkin posted:

Linvala is also good against Bant Eldrazi and affinity.

Eidolon is good against Ad Nauseam as well. With Pridemages to answer Phyrexian Unlife, you can keep them off the combo completely.

Usually against Jund the Company/Chord decks sideboard out as many mana dorks as possible. You're not going to combo off agianst jund and those cards are really bad in a game that's about attrition or topdecking. You replace them with anything in your board that you think might be more relevant than a 0-power creature.

I'm wondering about 2 Path in place of Twisted Image, it still deals with Spellskite, is more relevant in the Jund matchup and it helps for Infect.

E: Or is dealing with dorks that important?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Oh right, I was thinking Eidolon was after they started giving you any rare as your promo.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

suicidesteve posted:

Oh right, I was thinking Eidolon was after they started giving you any rare as your promo.

Nah that was the bullshit one where everyone was trying to get the white pack because of Dawnbringer Charioteers.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

This is where I'm at currently. Considerations for changes Im thinking now: 1 more mill card, and another crypt incursion, or blockers somewhere. When I was playing sprout spawning (which I cut because dispel is too common nowadays to rely on it) it was great for making blockers, but this list leans heavily on removal then eventually resolving a crypt incursion halfway through milling the opponents deck to stay alive. its weak to mono-black, but is otherwise decent in most matchups.

4 Evolving Wilds
3 Izzet Boilerworks
8 Snow-Covered Island
2 Snow-Covered Mountain
2 Snow-Covered Swamp
4 Terramorphic Expanse
4 Accumulated Knowledge
4 Brainstorm
1 Chainer's Edict
4 Counterspell
1 Crypt Incursion
2 Curse of the Bloody Tome
1 Diabolic Edict
2 Dispel
1 Echoing Truth
1 Electrickery
1 Jace's Erasure
3 Lightning Bolt
1 Logic Knot
3 Mana Leak
2 Mystical Teachings
1 Pyroblast
2 Skred
2 Staggershock
1 Terminate

Sideboard:

1 Circle of Protection: Red
1 Diabolic Edict
1 Dispel
1 Electrickery
1 Hydroblast
1 Muddle the Mixture
2 Pyroblast
2 Relic of Progenitus
1 Serene Heart
2 Shattering Pulse
1 Skred
1 Snow-Covered Plains

edit: I also have been going back and forth on muddle the mixture in the main. I may go for 1-3 drift of phantasms for decent blockers and being able to tutor for crypt incursion.
thanks for reminding me that loving Terminate is a common

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The March Hare posted:

Are there any legacy decks you can build 100% out of promos? I think the closest I've found is d&t.

Goblins I believe has everything but the manabase.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Is it just missing the caverns? iirc there are judge wastelands and ports. Oh i guess it usually splashes either black or white so youve got the duals too

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

Goblins I believe has everything but the manabase.

Are we counting FTV? Presumably we are.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I'm super bummed that my little tier 2 modern deck somehow marauded it's way into a PTQ crushing deck that managed to get itself banned not 6 months after I bought all the pieces...

Is there anything similar I can salvage as much as possible from my Amulet Bloom deck into?

Maybe scapeshift or some sort of Valakut deck?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Razzled posted:

I'm super bummed that my little tier 2 modern deck somehow marauded it's way into a PTQ crushing deck that managed to get itself banned not 6 months after I bought all the pieces...

Is there anything similar I can salvage as much as possible from my Amulet Bloom deck into?

GR titanshift maybe.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Razzled posted:

Add an Azusa, put in 3 explore, and it's a turn 3-4 win

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Razzled posted:

Quit playing modern. This happened to me 3 times before I realized that.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

eSporks posted:

Quit playing modern.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Or understand when the entire community is calling for a ban on a deck, there's a chance it'll happen.

With no modern pro tour, there's less likely to be any more shake-up bans. Nothing is oppressive right now, so it's doubtful there will be any bans for a while.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Yea modern is actually (mostly) good now. There's a ton of diversity in decks. There's still the problem with some non-interactive decks and too much reliance on sideboard hate, but what are you going to do, play Standard?

Razzled posted:

Someone locally plays Bloomless Titan and does real well with it. Here's his list from some states thing:

4xSimic Growth Chamber
2xGruul Turf
2xBoros Garrison
1xSelesnya Sanctuary
1xGolgari Rot Farm
4xGemstone Mine
2xTolaria West
1xMana Confluence
1xCavern of Souls
1xIsland
1xForest
1xRadiant Fountain
1xKhalni Garden
1xVesuva
1xSlayer's Stronghold
1xSunhome, Fortress of the Legion
4xPrimeval Titan
2xSimian Spirit Guide
2xCourser of Kruphix
1xAsuza, Lost but Seeking
4xSerum Visions
4xExplore
4xAncient Stirrings
4xAmulet of Vigor
4xSummoner's Pact
3xPact of Negation
2xHive Mind
1xSlaughter Pact
0xSideboard:
1xDragonlord Dromoka
2xFirespout
1xGhost Quarter
1xHornet Queen
2xLeyline of Sanctity
1xNature's Claim
1xRest in Peace
1xSeal of the Primordium
1xSigarda, Heron's Grace
1xSwan Song
2xThragtusk
1xWrath of God

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

To this day I wish they'd have left Pod legal and changed the format so Pod wasn't too good. Pod was so much fun to play against.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

To this day I wish they'd have left Pod legal and changed the format so Pod wasn't too good. Pod was so much fun to play against.

Also play with! Pod was an insanely fun deck to pilot and play against, there were so many lines of play with that deck.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Thisuck posted:

Also play with! Pod was an insanely fun deck to pilot and play against, there were so many lines of play with that deck.

I don't think I've ever cast the card (though I did Comandeer one in Commander once,) but all of my favorite games of modern were against Pod. Much more interesting and interactive than anything that exists now.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Pod is my favorite card and the epitome of Starcraft Magic, imo

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So is Dredge in Modern a real deck now or is it overhyped nonsense?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

To answer question ask yourself WWTWOOD, what would Travis Woo do. If he says yes, the answer is no.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's yet another "draw your sideboard card or you probably lose" deck that the format is already full of except it also randomly loses to itself a lot.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

It's yet another "draw your sideboard card or you probably lose" deck that the format is already full of except it also randomly loses to itself a lot.

What makes it lose to itself? The lack of Bridge and a reliable sac outlet?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

What makes it lose to itself? The lack of Bridge and a reliable sac outlet?

It randomly draws the cards in the wrong order, doesn't have a Faithless Looting, doesn't have a Bridge, doesn't have a Gargadon, etc. Basically it's all the worst parts of combo without most of the good parts of combo.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
I feel like you're talking about something very different than modern dredge.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Network42 posted:

I feel like you're talking about something very different than modern dredge.

Nope.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
The biggest problem is the lack of good discard outlets, also sometimes you just end up mulling to 4 because you either don't have a discard/dredge outlet. It's nice when you hit like 10 power when you untap on turn 2 but that's not very consistent and yeah, side board hate usually hoses your entire deck. Meanwhile Legacy dredge have some really sweet discard/draw outlets along with Ichorid to generate zambos every turn with bridges.

Edit:
Yeah that's probably the best version of that right now, there's the Dredgevine version that runs Vengevine and Gravecrawler, problems with discard if you want to run Prized Amalgams and Narcomebas. This is the other version, which is nice, but still lack reliable discard and no Bridge like the Vengevine version.

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 25, 2016

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
I'm trying to find a cheap modern deck that I can gradually build into something competitive. Right now I'm looking at either building a super cheapskate version of Kiki Chord or Abzan Company (shittier manabase, replace Noble Hierarch with some other mana dork, etc.) or building a budget UR delver deck and working my way into Jeskai control or Grixis delver. Any advice?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

uninverted posted:

I'm trying to find a cheap modern deck that I can gradually build into something competitive. Right now I'm looking at either building a super cheapskate version of Kiki Chord or Abzan Company (shittier manabase, replace Noble Hierarch with some other mana dork, etc.) or building a budget UR delver deck and working my way into Jeskai control or Grixis delver. Any advice?

I honestly don't know how you could build abzan company or kiki chord on a low budget without it being terrible. You could try for a UR delver style list, by either going for UR prowess or delver with young pyro. The young Pyro build wants Snapcasters way more than a prowess build though. If you did a prowess deck with a base of something like:

4x delver of secrets
4x Monastery Swifts pear
4x stormchaser mage
4x abbot of keral keep

4x bolt
4x gitaxian probe
4x serum visions

And fill out the rest with probably mishra's bauble, forked bolt, electrolyze, vapor snag, and whatever else, 18-20 land, it could probably be pretty budget friendly. Could also replace stormchaser with young pyro too. UR delver isn't great right now but once you get Snapcasters you could go towards grixis delver, which is actually a cool and good deck.

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 26, 2016

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I honestly don't know how you could build abzan company or kiki chord on a low budget without it being terrible. You could try for a UR delver style list, by either going for UR prowess or delver with young pyro. The young Pyro build wants Snapcasters way more than a prowess build though. If you did a prowess deck with a base of something like:

4x delver of secrets
4x Monastery Swifts pear
4x stormchaser mage
4x abbot of keral keep

4x bolt
4x gitaxian probe
4x serum visions

And fill out the rest with probably mishra's bauble, forked bolt, electrolyze, vapor snag, and whatever else, 18-20 land, it could probably be pretty budget friendly. Could also replace stormchaser with young pyro too. UR delver isn't great right now but once you get Snapcasters you could go towards grixis delver, which is actually a cool and good deck.

Lava spike as well. The Grixis version gets Gurmag Anglers, which essentially turn into 1 to cast 5/5s with how fast you're planning to cycle cards to enable prowess, the Grixis version also runs Thought Scour, which is another way to power your prowess creatures and get stuff in the yard for the Gurmanglers

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Thisuck posted:

Lava spike as well. The Grixis version gets Gurmag Anglers, which essentially turn into 1 to cast 5/5s with how fast you're planning to cycle cards to enable prowess, the Grixis version also runs Thought Scour, which is another way to power your prowess creatures and get stuff in the yard for the Gurmanglers

This could work too. The lava spikes would be good in straight UR prowess probably, I was just thinking of a 2 color list since he mentioned starting on a budget. I forgot to mention mutagenic growth, which I'd play in a UR prowess deck. Thought scours into gurmag/tasigur is exactly what the real grixis delver decks want to be doing though, yeah. I like the versions that run delver, snaps, angler/tasigur and young peezy with bolts and tons of spot removal, but the manabase can be a bit expensive that way.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My "budget" version of abzan company just uses Wooded Foothills instead of Verdant Catacombs, and Avacyn's Pilgrim instead of Noble Hierarch.

I'm not sure you can really call an $800 deck "budget", but it works fine without spending that extra $300-400. Actually the big annoyance for me money-wise is the lack of fulminators for the tron matchup.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Stormchaser Mage
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Mana Leak
2 Spell Snare
4 Serum Visions
2 Electrolyze
4 Gitaxian Probe
1 Dismember
2 Spell Pierce
1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
2 Vapor Snag
2 Sulfur Falls
10 Island
8 Mountain
2 Steam Vents

Sounds like the consensus is to go for delver, would a list like this be a good place to start for ~$150?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

uninverted posted:

4 Delver of Secrets
4 Stormchaser Mage
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Mana Leak
2 Spell Snare
4 Serum Visions
2 Electrolyze
4 Gitaxian Probe
1 Dismember
2 Spell Pierce
1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
2 Vapor Snag
2 Sulfur Falls
10 Island
8 Mountain
2 Steam Vents

Sounds like the consensus is to go for delver, would a list like this be a good place to start for ~$150?

Stormchaser mage is a nonbo with counterspells. I'm not really sure what to replace it with though. Also you need better mana fixing, but you probably know that already. I think you want at least one Grim Lavamancer.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
The stormchasers are pretty much a placeholder for snapcaster mage, I agree that they're not great. Is Grim Lavamancer still good without fetchlands in the deck? Also, is 22 lands right or should I have fewer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

the Lava Man is fine if you go the bauble/probe/lava spike/mutagenic growth plan and just try and hit people in the face. if you're on that plan you probably shave a few lands and don't mess around with things like Pia and Kirin

e:
Paul Rietzl has unveiled a delight of a deck in the VSL:

//Creatures
1 Blightsteel Colossus
1 Trinket Mage
1 Snapcaster Mage
1 Consecrated Sphinx

//Jace the Mind Sculptors
3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

//Spells
1 Tinker
1 Time Walk
4 Force of Will
3 Mana Drain
3 Mental Misstep
2 Flusterstorm
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Brainstorm
1 Fact or Fiction
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Repeal
1 Spell Pierce
1 Spell Snare

//Artifacts
3 Null Rod
1 Black Lotus
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Sol Ring
1 Chalice of the Void
1 Mana Crypt

//Enchantments
3 Back to Basics

//Lands
9 Island
4 Wasteland
2 Polluted Delta
1 Strip Mine
1 Library of Alexandria
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Flooded Strand
1 Misty Rainforest

//Sideboard
1 Flusterstorm
2 Annul
2 Blue Elemental Blast
2 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Mindbreak Trap
2 Dismember
1 Propaganda
1 Hurkyl's Recall
1 Arcane Laboratory
1 Ravenous Trap

So, this deck is kind of a mash of the two things I wanted to do in Vintage. I wanted to play 4 wastelands, a strip mine, and a crucible. That leaves me with landstill or some shops variant. the other thing I want to do is play a 3 mana enchantment that hoses most lands in the format. This meant Blue Moon, but Paul has remembered that Back to Basics is a card that exists.

I think if I played this, I would be inclined to make it UR, just to have better ways of interacting with resolved permanents. So, probably some Dork Fandangos and Sudden Shocks and an EE main, pyroblasts, sulfur elemental, probably a hammer mage and other red artifact hate in the board. People played three color stoneblade decks with back to basics in it, so there has to be a way to make that manabase work. Maybe two Volcs and a mountain? maybe switch that around? One thing I know I am keeping around is Propaganda. holy poo poo is that hot against the Eldrazi manabase

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 26, 2016