Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Played legacy, tonight and usually I see one chalice, blood moon, or back to basics.
Saw all three tonight and I hate this game so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I don't think I've ever seen anyone hate blood moon more. What were you on?? Was it 40k stuff again

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone hate blood moon more. What were you on?? Was it 40k stuff again

Rug dressnought

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
A fun branching point in the timeline of Magic that I like to think about sometimes is the fact that Blood Moon was put in Eighth Edition because of a fan poll on Wizards' website 20 years ago. Can you guess what other piece of red nonbasic land hate it was up against? That's right, Dwarven Miner lmao

I saw a bit of scuttlebutt on Magic Twitter the other day that Wizards had taken down a bunch of their old articles, I hope these poll results still exist in some public capacity because I'd love to see if anything else that made an impact in Modern made it in off of a vote.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Hammer is still good in modern to anyone curious

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

A fun branching point in the timeline of Magic that I like to think about sometimes is the fact that Blood Moon was put in Eighth Edition because of a fan poll on Wizards' website 20 years ago. Can you guess what other piece of red nonbasic land hate it was up against? That's right, Dwarven Miner lmao

They should have just printed both, win/win for everyone!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
nm.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 24, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
3-0-1 tonight in legacy.
Magic is good again

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

Post the list!

HootTheOwl posted:

If it ever wins a game I will
4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
3 Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath
3 Fury
2 Trygon Prime

2 Minsc and Boo, Timeless Heroes

4 Brainstorm
4 Ponder
4 Stifle
4 Force of WIll
1 Test of Talents
4 Lightning Bolt

4 Dress Down
1 Scroll of Fate
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Misty Rainforest
1 Tropical Island
2 Breeding Pool
1 Volcanic Island
2 Steam Vents
2 Wasteland
2 Island
1 Mountain
1 Snow-Covered Forest

Side
3 Leyline of the Void
2 Veil of SUmmer
2 Force of NEgation
2 Brotherhood's End
3 Leyline of Sanctity
3 Run Afoul

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Trygon Prime is a pet inclusion, right? I can't imagine it's the best four-drop available, but annoying people who don't like Universes Beyond is very cool.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Have you tried the new land "The Mycosynth Gardens" in Stiflenauts yet? You could make it a copy of Dreadnought with the sacrifice trigger on the stack.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Chamale posted:

Trygon Prime is a pet inclusion, right? I can't imagine it's the best four-drop available, but annoying people who don't like Universes Beyond is very cool.

I actually really liked them, and hate the art because I always disliked 'nids. (They're also surge foils so they look cool).
I cut them in games that are about recourses but in games that are about bodies they're pretty good.
For example, vs initiative I had an active scroll and a prime, so I had scalding tarns attacking for 3 unlockable to take back the initiative while this guy is crashing in for 6, eating the creatures that would take it back.

frameset posted:

Have you tried the new land "The Mycosynth Gardens" in Stiflenauts yet? You could make it a copy of Dreadnought with the sacrifice trigger on the stack.

Yes this is in the works but I sold my cities a few years ago so I didn't manage to get a list I liked built for last night. A4nrken (steamer guy) just trophied with a gardens/saga/dreadnought list

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/march-6-2023-banned-and-restricted-announcement

Expressive Iteration and White Plume Adventurer banned in Legacy, congrats Legacy players (unless you were on Delver or MonoW)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

czech pile it was pleasure playing you once again 🫡

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'll let you know in about a month when I next play legacy if it had any impact.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

HootTheOwl posted:

I'll let you know in about a month when I next play legacy if it had any impact.

Spoilers: it killed the viable non-blue deck.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
at last, people can play brainstorm in peace without their virtual card advantage being clobbered by cheap real card advantage

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

suicidesteve posted:

Spoilers: it killed the viable non-blue deck.

Chalice it is then

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Nothing feels worse in modern right now than when scam draws hot

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

HootTheOwl posted:

Nothing feels worse in modern right now than when scam draws hot

I saw the most disrespectful scam hands of my life over RC Vancouver

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mezzanon posted:

I saw the most disrespectful scam hands of my life over RC Vancouver

I hope you were doing the disrespecting and not getting dunked on.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I gotta say, I've really been enjoying the tribal builds of elementals in Modern the past month or so

Though I'm gonna try and squeeze in some eladamri's calls so I can play mother of machines as well. I might just end up running 65 cards to add some calls + a couple lands....

Though flamekin awakener is admittedly not super exciting with mom on the field

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

HootTheOwl posted:

I hope you were doing the disrespecting and not getting dunked on.

I got to watch. It was a scam player I’d played in a previous round and he was against creativity.

T1 he has the grief +undying evil to take out the creativities followed by a fury + undying evil for W6 and two dwarf tokens.

Game 2 was the really disgusting one.
Creativity player mulls to 6
Scam: t1 grief + undying evil, T2 grief + undying evil game over

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I gotta say, I've really been enjoying the tribal builds of elementals in Modern the past month or so

Though I'm gonna try and squeeze in some eladamri's calls so I can play mother of machines as well. I might just end up running 65 cards to add some calls + a couple lands....

Though flamekin awakener is admittedly not super exciting with mom on the field

People are running 75 card main decks for elementals now

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

People are running 75 card main decks for elementals now

Yeah, but those are the more control-y versions. I'm running the tribal build with flamekin and voice of resurgence instead of t3feri and w6

But honestly between flamekin and now eladamri I've got so many ways to tutor for creatures, and risen plus mother of machines draws so many cards, that sneaking in the extra cards (dunno if I want the growths as much) isn't a huge deal

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Went 2-2 drop (skipping rounds 5-9) at the NRG modern 10k today.
Sanctifier en-Vec I hate you

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

At 2-2 you could've gone 7-2, why drop??

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I needed 22 points to top eight, so I saved 5 rounds and got to go home and take a nap

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Even if it ends up that a couple of 7-2s do make the cut, the guy who was 7-1 and decided to play the last round to try for a better seed is going to get in on breakers well ahead of someone who's been slumming around the losing bracket.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's been a while but I finally put Murktide and Sailors' Bane in the same deck and I am here to confirm not only are they both good together they work together and also Bane is a Dragon for you Invasion of Tarkir weirdos.

But like also you need 53 other cards in your deck and you should not choose the 53 I did.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Having played some vintage now, my god is bazaar of baghdad an insane magic card.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I was right about Drifter. Card is very good and powerful.

I was wrong about what cards you need to play around it. Those cards are bad and lovely.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Orcish Bowmasters are real and they're good

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Orcish Bowmasters are real and they're good

Yeah lol wtf

Probably doesn't do anything in formats where it's legal but turning opponent's Brainstorm into 3 pings and Amass 1 Orc 3 times is kinda hilarious. Might go in the BW version of D&T that never seems to be better than mono white in Canandian Highlander.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Yeah lol wtf

Probably doesn't do anything in formats where it's legal but turning opponent's Brainstorm into 3 pings and Amass 1 Orc 3 times is kinda hilarious. Might go in the BW version of D&T that never seems to be better than mono white in Canandian Highlander.

4. It also trigger on ETB.
It's also good at just murdering D&T's army of x/1s.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Kinda plays nice with Cabal Therapy too. I'd guess it shits all over 8 cast's lunch.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

HootTheOwl posted:

4. It also trigger on ETB.
It's also good at just murdering D&T's army of x/1s.

Finally a card that can put death and taxes in its place. The savior of the format! Now if they could just do something about zoo and solidarity.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Finally a card that can put death and taxes in its place. The savior of the format! Now if they could just do something about zoo and solidarity.

I don’t think UR is a real big fan of it either tbf

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Posts are the only thing safe from it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Unfortunately post has a whole host of other problems