Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

uninverted posted:

4 Delver of Secrets
4 Stormchaser Mage
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Mana Leak
2 Spell Snare
4 Serum Visions
2 Electrolyze
4 Gitaxian Probe
1 Dismember
2 Spell Pierce
1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
2 Vapor Snag
2 Sulfur Falls
10 Island
8 Mountain
2 Steam Vents

Sounds like the consensus is to go for delver, would a list like this be a good place to start for ~$150?

Like other said, stormchaser is a bad replacement for Snapcaster. The counterspell heavy plan is kinda weak without snaps but a more aggressive route is playable without snaps. I threw this list together in 5 minutes so I'm sure it could use some optimizing but it can be built for under $150:

http://deckbox.org/sets/1445750

Kinda going off memory from a UR delver prowess deck Patrick Chapin played a year ago, but his had an actual green splash to it. The only "odd" card is mishra's bauble because it's only other use is in suicide zoo, so I'm sure you could replace it with something cheap. It's great in this deck though, being zero mana and replacing itself. I'd replace it with more burn and a dismember if you don't want to spend the money on baubles. Also the manabase needs improving but I was trying to keep it under $150 for you.

Another option you can make is bushwacker zoo without the goblin guides, but that deck wants a lot of fetches. Deck is super cheap without fetches and guides though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
You're right, the aggressive version seems a lot better. I'll probably end up playing something like that. Thanks for the help everybody.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Shivan Reef and Wandering Fumarole are two fairly cheap ways to improve the manabase on that budget UR Delver. Shivan Reef gives you consistent mana, but will probably cost you a few life points since the deck doesn't have much use for coloreless mana. Wandering Fumarole comes into play tapped, but can sometimes be an extra threat in the lategame.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

AgentSythe posted:

the Lava Man is fine if you go the bauble/probe/lava spike/mutagenic growth plan and just try and hit people in the face. if you're on that plan you probably shave a few lands and don't mess around with things like Pia and Kirin

e:
Paul Rietzl has unveiled a delight of a deck in the VSL:

//Creatures
1 Blightsteel Colossus
1 Trinket Mage
1 Snapcaster Mage
1 Consecrated Sphinx

//Jace the Mind Sculptors
3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

//Spells
1 Tinker
1 Time Walk
4 Force of Will
3 Mana Drain
3 Mental Misstep
2 Flusterstorm
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Brainstorm
1 Fact or Fiction
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Repeal
1 Spell Pierce
1 Spell Snare

//Artifacts
3 Null Rod
1 Black Lotus
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Sol Ring
1 Chalice of the Void
1 Mana Crypt

//Enchantments
3 Back to Basics

//Lands
9 Island
4 Wasteland
2 Polluted Delta
1 Strip Mine
1 Library of Alexandria
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Flooded Strand
1 Misty Rainforest

//Sideboard
1 Flusterstorm
2 Annul
2 Blue Elemental Blast
2 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Mindbreak Trap
2 Dismember
1 Propaganda
1 Hurkyl's Recall
1 Arcane Laboratory
1 Ravenous Trap

So, this deck is kind of a mash of the two things I wanted to do in Vintage. I wanted to play 4 wastelands, a strip mine, and a crucible. That leaves me with landstill or some shops variant. the other thing I want to do is play a 3 mana enchantment that hoses most lands in the format. This meant Blue Moon, but Paul has remembered that Back to Basics is a card that exists.

I think if I played this, I would be inclined to make it UR, just to have better ways of interacting with resolved permanents. So, probably some Dork Fandangos and Sudden Shocks and an EE main, pyroblasts, sulfur elemental, probably a hammer mage and other red artifact hate in the board. People played three color stoneblade decks with back to basics in it, so there has to be a way to make that manabase work. Maybe two Volcs and a mountain? maybe switch that around? One thing I know I am keeping around is Propaganda. holy poo poo is that hot against the Eldrazi manabase

I think in the current meta, white is a better splash than red. Yes, you dont get pyroblast, but swords/path and disenchant are way better right now than the direct damage spells. If you do switch it up, you need min 6 fetches, maybe 8. two basics of your splash color, and 1 dual to fetch with the off-color fetch.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

I think in the current meta, white is a better splash than red. Yes, you dont get pyroblast, but swords/path and disenchant are way better right now than the direct damage spells. If you do switch it up, you need min 6 fetches, maybe 8. two basics of your splash color, and 1 dual to fetch with the off-color fetch.

Everything you are saying makes sense, except that I cannot use Plains to cast a Hammer Mage

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

AgentSythe posted:

Everything you are saying makes sense, except that I cannot use Plains to cast a Hammer Mage

Luckily in their infinite wisdom, and in anticipation of this exact problem, WotC has produced a magical card to circumvent this issue entirely.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

L0cke17 posted:

Luckily in their infinite wisdom, and in anticipation of this exact problem, WotC has produced a magical card to circumvent this issue entirely.

It's also worth noting that there is a Plains that can cast Hammer Mage.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There are actually two different ones, though obviously one of them is a lot better than the other.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Jabor posted:

There are actually two different ones, though obviously one of them is a lot better than the other.

There's three if a Blood Moon is out!

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

L0cke17 posted:

Apart from awesome card name/flavor, I would rather play Chromatic Lantern

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

little munchkin posted:

Yea modern is actually (mostly) good now. There's a ton of diversity in decks. There's still the problem with some non-interactive decks and too much reliance on sideboard hate, but what are you going to do, play Standard?

Someone locally plays Bloomless Titan and does real well with it. Here's his list from some states thing:

decklist

Hey thanks for that, I'll give it a try before disassembling for something else!

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Pretty hosed up that you would suggest putting a Plateau in your deck.

what if some kid reads this?

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 27, 2016

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Any of you nerds playing legacy at Montasy in NYC tonight? I'm doing my first sanctioned event with lands and I'm missing 7 of my sideboard cards so I'm running some... interesting sb options.

So if you see a bald dude running some atypical lands poo poo feel free to say hi.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The March Hare posted:

I'm missing 7 of my sideboard cards so I'm running some... interesting sb options.

go on

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Let's just say I may be taking some extra turns courtesy of Rebecca Guay tonight.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The March Hare posted:

Any of you nerds playing legacy at Montasy in NYC tonight? I'm doing my first sanctioned event with lands and I'm missing 7 of my sideboard cards so I'm running some... interesting sb options.

So if you see a bald dude running some atypical lands poo poo feel free to say hi.

Just jam 4 tireless trackers and 3 Nissa worldwaker and call it a day

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!

The March Hare posted:

I wish I could but I work until 7. I wonder if I can call in and sign up and just take a loss the first round so I can still play. I'm Legacy starved here because apparently every single shop starts everything so drat early :(

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

RoflcopterPilot posted:

I wish I could but I work until 7. I wonder if I can call in and sign up and just take a loss the first round so I can still play. I'm Legacy starved here because apparently every single shop starts everything so drat early :(

I think you can, they claim online registration is available on the event page but I have absolutely no idea what that actually means as I can't find any online form to register with v0v.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Anyone play legacy or vintage in Chicago? I know mtg cardmarket is there and they run events, but didn't know if anyone else knew some other cool spots to check out

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You know what Modern needs more of?

Ajani Vengeant.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Star Man posted:

You know what Modern needs more of?

Ajani Vengeant.

But instead, you could play the other, better 2RW planeswalker

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
will food chain be any good with the 3-drop play-from-exile dude? What would a list drop to add that, maybe 2 misthollow and.....?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Tim Raines IRL posted:

will food chain be any good with the 3-drop play-from-exile dude? What would a list drop to add that, maybe 2 misthollow and.....?

A. It will never be good.

2. Why would it drop the card it can use to cast Force of Will and still get value out of it?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

AgentSythe posted:

Anyone play legacy or vintage in Chicago? I know mtg cardmarket is there and they run events, but didn't know if anyone else knew some other cool spots to check out

Hotsauce Games in Westmont does legacy on monday nights, and Pastimes in Niles used to have monthly vintage and legacy but I don't see anything on their event calendar. But in Chicago proper I do not know.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

A. It will never be good.

2. Why would it drop the card it can use to cast Force of Will and still get value out of it?

Why would it need to drop it?

Having more copies of Misthollow isn't necessarily bad, and it allows you to follow a Baleful Strix directly into it on turn 3, or curve a dork into strix into it turn 2.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why would it need to drop it?

Having more copies of Misthollow isn't necessarily bad, and it allows you to follow a Baleful Strix directly into it on turn 3, or curve a dork into strix into it turn 2.

Idunno why it would drop it. Ask the person whose post I quoted.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

AgentSythe posted:

Mtg cardmarket does legacy every Thursday and then there's dice dojo but I'm not sure if they do regular legacy events since cardmarket is closer to me and nice (dojo is too). Then as mentioned lots of options in Chicagoland but not much really in the city.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anyone playing MonoW Eldrazi in Legacy?

Michael Majors played it at a GP and it looks good...

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=104145

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Seems like it needs containment priest main. Legacy is slow enough that the interaction between priest and displacer might be actually really good, rather than just a byproduct of maindeck oath hate like the vintage version has. And last I checked, sneak and show was still a thing, right?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

L0cke17 posted:

Seems like it needs containment priest main. Legacy is slow enough that the interaction between priest and displacer might be actually really good, rather than just a byproduct of maindeck oath hate like the vintage version has. And last I checked, sneak and show was still a thing, right?

I really like cutting the Endless One's or some number of Mimics for MD containment Priest.

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!
Somebody talk to me about B/W Death and Taxes. I play ANT almost exclusively right now and have always thought building a non-combo backup deck wouldn't be a bad idea. I've seen a few lists around where they basically bring in Scrublands, discard, and Dark Confidants and cut some of the extra fat on the traditional mono white version. Just trying to see the pros and cons with the black splash, beyond the obvious. Here's a list similar to what I've seen. Seems like the mana-base is worse and it's harder to grind with added life loss due to Bob and fetches?

3 Flooded Strand
3 Karakas
4 Rishadan Port
4 Scrubland
2 Plains
4 Wasteland
3 Windswept Heath

4 Dark Confidant
4 Flickerwisp
4 Mother of Runes
1 Phyrexian Revoker
2 Serra Avenger
4 Stoneforge Mystic
4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Thoughtseize
1 Batterskull
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Umezawa's Jitte
4 Æther Vial

SB

1 Bitterblossom
1 Circle of Protection: Red
2 Containment Priest
1 Enlightened Tutor
2 Ethersworn Canonist
2 Orzhov Pontiff
1 Pithing Needle
2 Rest in Peace
1 Seal of Cleansing
1 Thoughtseize
1 Vindicate

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

RoflcopterPilot posted:

Somebody talk to me about B/W Death and Taxes. I play ANT almost exclusively right now and have always thought building a non-combo backup deck wouldn't be a bad idea. I've seen a few lists around where they basically bring in Scrublands, discard, and Dark Confidants and cut some of the extra fat on the traditional mono white version. Just trying to see the pros and cons with the black splash, beyond the obvious. Here's a list similar to what I've seen. Seems like the mana-base is worse and it's harder to grind with added life loss due to Bob and fetches?

3 Flooded Strand
3 Karakas
4 Rishadan Port
4 Scrubland
2 Plains
4 Wasteland
3 Windswept Heath

4 Dark Confidant
4 Flickerwisp
4 Mother of Runes
1 Phyrexian Revoker
2 Serra Avenger
4 Stoneforge Mystic
4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Thoughtseize
1 Batterskull
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Umezawa's Jitte
4 Æther Vial

SB

1 Bitterblossom
1 Circle of Protection: Red
2 Containment Priest
1 Enlightened Tutor
2 Ethersworn Canonist
2 Orzhov Pontiff
1 Pithing Needle
2 Rest in Peace
1 Seal of Cleansing
1 Thoughtseize
1 Vindicate
What you're looking for is a deck called 'deadguy ale' and it hasn't been good since 2012. Sadly. Basically cut the flickerwisps and ports and reviker, play tidehollow scullers, and as many Liliana of the veil as your wallet allows.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Anyone playing MonoW Eldrazi in Legacy?

Michael Majors played it at a GP and it looks good...

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=104145

Why isn't anyone else playing this deck?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Because the format is dead!!
I think I sold my priests or I'd try it out in our eight mans. Looks fun.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

mcmagic posted:

Why isn't anyone else playing this deck?

They.....are? Like, Eldrazi decks get lumped by tcdecks and mtggoldfish and such but they're out there.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

They.....are? Like, Eldrazi decks get lumped by tcdecks and mtggoldfish and such but they're out there.

All I see are the colorless versions of the deck... This white version with Thalia just seems much better to me...

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I have some $ for a new legacy deck. do i go for the better deck and build infect, or should i put together the daretti stax list I've been playing on xmage? it's not great but it keeps your opponent from playing magic at all.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I have some $ for a new legacy deck. do i go for the better deck and build infect, or should i put together the daretti stax list I've been playing on xmage? it's not great but it keeps your opponent from playing magic at all.

Never not Daretti Stax. Its one of the most fun decks in the format that has the chance to be good.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Depends entirely on what you want to be able to "cross over" into. Infect gets you forces, duals, fetches, Daretti stax gets you sol lands (which are obviously blowin' up right now) and possible other random stuff that has cross appeal like chalice and mox diamond (i am making assumptions about your list). Sol lands also turn into an actual good deck right now so you can't really go wrong

also, anyone playing doomsday in legacy right now? i saw it top 8'd a super iq or whatever the sunday events are called but I'm not convinced it is better than ANT. still, seems sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

AgentSythe posted:

Depends entirely on what you want to be able to "cross over" into. Infect gets you forces, duals, fetches, Daretti stax gets you sol lands (which are obviously blowin' up right now) and possible other random stuff that has cross appeal like chalice and mox diamond (i am making assumptions about your list). Sol lands also turn into an actual good deck right now so you can't really go wrong

also, anyone playing doomsday in legacy right now? i saw it top 8'd a super iq or whatever the sunday events are called but I'm not convinced it is better than ANT. still, seems sweet.

The only real difference between Doomsday and ANT is when you cast Ad Nauseam or Tendrils in ANT you win the game, and when you cast Doomsday you tank for 40 seconds, realize you screwed up the pile, and scoop.