Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

And eidolon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

AgentSythe posted:

Anyone play legacy or vintage in Chicago? I know mtg cardmarket is there and they run events, but didn't know if anyone else knew some other cool spots to check out

Mtg cardmarket does legacy every Thursday and then there's dice dojo but I'm not sure if they do regular legacy events since cardmarket is closer to me and nice (dojo is too). Then as mentioned lots of options in Chicagoland but not much really in the city.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Though speaking of new moon cards and burn has anyone tried one or two bedlam reveler? I'm hoping one is enough of a free roll cause I like the card.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

AgentSythe posted:

yes do this and i mostly saw boreal druid in the beck//call versions, which you should not play

Why is it ever boreal druid and not just llanowar elves? Did elf lists start running a colorless matters spell?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Voyager I posted:

I played a homebrewed UW Spirits list at Modern last night and ended up going 2-1, taking down 2-0s against Jund and Abzan Company while getting hosed by Bushwhacker Zoo. It basically feels like a worse version of UR Delver or Faeries that trades speed and consistently good cards for tricky interactions.

If I put more money into the list the first things I'd add would be Celestial Colonnade and Cavern of Souls, but so far the surprise standout was Moorland Haunt. Turns out being able to turn used cards into 1/1 flying tokens for 3 mana is a pretty loving big deal in a topdeck war.

Caleb had a modern league video of his bant spirits brew up on CFB recently and he did quite well. Apparently collected company is a pretty good card?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

L0cke17 posted:

I dont know poo poo about modern. I usually just play mill when I have to play it. I stole the list from some other goon in here I think, or maybe some GP or something? I was most excited about russian cards. Theyre so pretty

I sold my depths a while back. I didnt see myself ever actually making marit lage again. I mostly just want to be casting young pyromancer when Im not on terminus and co. Maybe I should put Junk back together though. Casting knight of the reliquary again seems sweet.

Casting young peezy is the noblest of goals in all formats.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

suicidesteve posted:

Ohhhh bubby, have I got some things to show you.

Your ebay sales after lodestone got restricted?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Also vintage storm lists are hilarious.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

legacy is the best, after pauper

wizards please print JTMS at common

cube is the best of legacy and pauper

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

but think of us simple mages just trying to kill people with huge kiln fiends

I guess this means I have a reason to play noxious revival in suicide bloo now :getin:

As a grixis delver player I hear ya. Can I get a good cantrip that infect and degenerate combo just aren't allowed to play?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Just play grixis delver and never worry about having a good matchup.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I'm skeptical that an aggro deck would exist without miracles. They'd lose very hard to fast combo unless they played force and then you're playing blue so may as well play that 3/2 flying one drop and oh wait.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

suicidesteve posted:

This is probably the sweetest play I've ever made and I've equipped my Batterskull to a Phyrexian Obliterator that I stole with Vedalken Shackles. In modern.

You just stole that story from some guy on Caleb's stream

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Today I went to a store I had never played legacy at before. The event barely fired, with 8 of us doing battle.

First match: the Landstill mirror.

What the gently caress is going on in Chicago

Which store?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

That's my usual LGS though I haven't played legacy there. It usually gets a good modern crowd however. Where's your regular stomping ground?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Jester's Cap. It was once very expensive for a reason after all.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
What does izzet burn look like? Snappy obviously but beyond that? Did he sneak in some treasure cruises?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Flashfires. Please see this instructional video on its use

Knew exactly what this link was and cracked a huge grin. Mono Wescoe metagame...

e: can we get more of these grudge matches please??

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Elyv posted:

Suicide Black has some superficial similarities to suicide zoo. In both cases you're playing a deck that tanks its own life total and plays undercosted fatties (one deliberately, one as a consequence of playing the most efficient cards) and then finish them off with a pump spell. Suicide Zoo doesn't really exist anymore though and the new Suicide Jund deck is a bit different.

Yeah, I was going to say a Death's Shadow deck or Infect are probably the closest you can get these days.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

GoutPatrol posted:

If you really have no clue, another Snap.

That seems reasonable.

Playing a modern GPT with grixis delver/death's shadow today. I will try to remember my matches and try to report back here after I scrub out.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

TheKingofSprings posted:

When your deck dies to both Burn and Tron you are in a bad place in the meta

Eh those are tough match ups for decks like grixis and jund of all flavors including death's shadow (though ds certainly helps against tron) and those decks are clearly good. One of the reasons I like delver in grixis is that it lets you get lucky and steal games from tough matchups like tron.

The list that was posted looks perfectly cromulent even if it may not be top tier.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Guy at my shop was playing UW control in modern and ended up 1-1-2. Both draws were against grixis control I think.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Ville Valo posted:

I fully expect it'll also be my last time with the deck, because how can Gush stay unrestricted? Fingers crossed it sticks around.

Nice suicidesteve bait. Did you ever see the Chandra? Hadn't seen her in vintage yet.

Congrats on the good finish especially for your first time in a new format.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Went 4-0 at the weekly modern tourney at the LGS with grixis death's delver. Got lucky in my matchups: beat jund death's shadow, abzan company, naya bushwhacker, and elves in the finals. Got $40 in credit.

Since adding the death's shadows I've gone 3-1, 3-1, 2-2, 4-0, and top 8 at a GPT. Mostly more casual events but at one of the spikier stores in town with players usually playing real decks. Ignoring my twin (rip) break, it's the best delver deck I've played since treasure cruise (rip) was legal.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Errant Gin Monks posted:

What's your list?

Creatures

4x Delver of Secrets
4x Death's Shadow
4x Snapcaster Mage
2x Tasigur, the Golden Fang
1x Gurmag Angler

Sorceries

4x Serum Visions
4x Thoughtseize

Instants

4x Lightning Bolt
4x Thought Scour
2x Fatal Push
2x Terminate
2x Mana Leak
1x Dismember
1x Kolaghan's Command
1x Spell Snare
1x Remand

Lands

4x Scalding Tarn
4x Bloodstained Mire
4x Polluted Delta
2x Watery Grave
2x Steam Vents
1x Blood Crypt
1x Island
1x Swamp

Sideboard

1x Spell Snare
1x Spell Pierce
1x Countersquall
1x Dispel
1x Negate
1x Surgical Extraction
1x Blood Moon
1x Izzet Staticaster
1x Engineered Explosives
1x Kolaghan's Command
1x Collective Brutality
1x Rakdos Charm
1x Painful Truths
1x Shattering Spree
1x Young Pyromancer

SB is still very much in flux. I've been considering adding the always spicy #61 in another instant/sorcery to make the delver probability slightly higher but that's probably silly. I wouldn't be opposed to another shockland, either a watery grave or blood crypt, but that makes delver worse. The lesson is probably to cut delver but nah.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
For any pure grixis delver players out there, I think the death's shadows are completely worth it. The biggest downside is how it cuts into your spell count for snappy/delver but not very significantly: straight delver lists would play around 19 lands and grips of delver/snapcaster/a combination of tasigur, angler, and young peezy, resulting in around 29 instants and sorceries; I'm playing 26 instants and sorceries, which is worse but not at all backbreaking. The other changes are essentially free. Four thoughtseizes is mana efficient, flips delver, deals you damage, gives you perfect info post probe, and aggressive decks are some of your best match ups. Going up to twelve fetches feels essentially free too: bolts ya, fills the yard for the delve threats, shuffles off of a bad delver peek, and fucks with your serum visions when you're being sloppy. Delver is such a mana intensive deck that you often already dealt yourself 6 after fetching out steam vents and watery grave in the first two turns. Why not throw in a thoughtseize in and cast death's shadow and hit for a bunch the next turn?

I'm not experienced enough with the grixis death's shadow sans delver enough to honestly defend delver's inclusion but I like it for a couple of reasons. I assume, like grixis control or delver, death's shadow struggles with big mana decks such as trons and valakuts. Death's shadow certainly helps in these matchups but having another cheap threat that you can just get lucky with and steal a game or two is even better. This was the biggest reason I liked delver in grixis even before the collective magic community realized death's shadow is a pretty good card. The other main reason I like delver (over street wraiths being the most obvious difference) is that my meta has a good amount of death's shadow decks running around and the matchups seem to come down to who draws the most threats and removal. Grixis death's delver--still don't have a good name--has the most of those.

If you want to watch me get insanely lucky my final match starts around 3:11: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/138331135 I also briefly appear for a game around 1:37. Warning: questionable commentary.

Delver is a pet card too.

And I'm never not playing four bolts in a deck running bolt and snap.

I also feel like a huge idiot not playing this when gitaxian probe was legal.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Much pithier than your usual posts.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

C-Euro posted:

So the Kiki Chord guy I played on Friday was also running Eldritch Evolution, which reminded me of how sweet that card is. Then I saw a couple lists like the following go 5-0 in MTGO leagues and am wondering if Little Kid GW/Abzan could work with some silver bullets to tutor with Evolution-

Deck: GWb Evolution

//Lands
4 Blooming Marsh
2 Forest
1 Gavony Township
1 Godless Shrine
1 Horizon Canopy
1 Marsh Flats
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Plains
1 Swamp
2 Temple Garden
4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Windswept Heath

//Spells
4 Eldritch Evolution
2 Lingering Souls
2 Maelstrom Pulse
4 Path to Exile

//Creatures
1 Anafenza, the Foremost
1 Aven Mindcensor
1 Baneslayer Angel
4 Birds of Paradise
1 Eidolon of Rhetoric
1 Eternal Witness
4 Kitchen Finks
1 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
3 Noble Hierarch
2 Siege Rhino
1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
4 Voice of Resurgence
1 Wilt-Leaf Liege

//Sideboard
2 Collective Brutality
1 Gaddock Teeg
1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Maelstrom Pulse
3 Nihil Spellbomb
1 Reclamation Sage
3 Stony Silence
2 Thoughtseize
1 Tireless Tracker

Display deck statistics

My gut tells me to lean more into the beatdown plan but that's because I still secretly love GW beats from my childhood. Also, grab Renegade Rallier off of Evolution and then bring back the guy you sacced to Evolution? Too cute?

Is Aven Mindcensor any good with no instant speed chords or companies? I suppose it hoses some decks but it seems suspect maindeck w/o chord. Also in a mainly gw deck I'd much rather have four noble hierarchs before four bops and would reconfigure the mana base if the bop's black source was that important.

I have some other reservations about the list but not very confident ones.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
My cube will help pay for my funeral one day. Just maybe not today.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

New Unset this Christmas means new full art non-zendikar lands

Okay?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

RUG Delver is back, baby

e: get a load of this fuckin thing that took 16th place:

there's just no god drat way that 3 FoW is correct

Three mainboard is an understandable meta choice but not having four in your 75 does indeed seem quite suspect.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Mezzanon posted:

Round 3 (last weeks) vs infect: Lose 0-2

Going in to this match I thought this was a slam dunk win for me. Lose the die roll. Hubris is real.
Warning: long post, and an incredibly inconsistent use between numbers and written numerals.

(Also, I dig swans but somewhat uninteractive decks that I dig I often tire of. Where's swans on the sweet/interactive spectrum?)

I thought this against elves tonight while playing grixis death's shadow/delver. Game 1 I won after terminating his other elf when he played shaman of the hunt when I was at 2.

Game two I mulled to 6 and kept 2 thought scours, serum visions, bolt, push, and a fetch. Scried nonland to bottom, fetched a watery grave, cast all my cantrips, and then I died to an elvish archdruid while staring at my only land watery grave in play and push and bolt in hand.

Game 3 he played a choke when I had a tapped watery grave and steam vents. It was still a close game since I fetched a blood crypt and two playable death's shadows plus a tasigur but I wasn't realistically getting there. Opponent had been in Vegas and said it was sweet hope you goons that were there enjoyed it.

Also played B/W tokens piloted by a newer, younger teenager (he had braces) and he made a couple big costly misplays which never feels good for either player. The most notable of which was when he had a Gideon, two knights, vault of the archangel, four other lands, and two cards in hand against my tasigur and 5/5ish death's shadow. He casts thoughtseize, whiffs, swings with knights, I block, and he sheepishly plays his land second main phase.

Ended up winning the match but I assume it's a rough matchup. Lingering souls is a beating. My friend played B/W tokens several years ago and it was a horrendous matchup for me on grixis twin or delver.

Then beat naya burn sans meows in three quite close games. Opponent said he was mainly a modo player and he missed a decent amount of triggers; you don't have to enforce your opponent's mandatory, positive triggers anymore, right? I let him him catch them after what would normally be too late except for an eidolon one he never noticed. It wouldn't have mattered but I just want to make sure I have the current ruling correct.

Then went to time in the mirrorish against the stock grixis shadow list. The board is stalled and on turns 3 I kolaghans command him to 2. Turns 5 I kcommand him again. He stubborn commands. I have the slight board advantage and show him my hand of dismember (at 12 life) and snapcaster with five lands in play. He refuses to concede even though a good amount of his denials and snaps are in the gy. 3-1 is worth ~22 in credit and 2-1-1 is the same as 2-2, or $5 credit.

Prisoner's dilemma!

So some factors:

-This is my main LGS, mtgcardmarket, but they do well for themselves.

-My opponent was generally a chill guy, had moved to Chicago a couple weeks ago from Philadelphia, lives in my neighborhood, and is down to cube.

-I was way more likely to win.

So gently caress him we both get two packs or five credit. Anything above 2-2 (or 2-1-1 apparently) I'll get credit but otherwise I'll play the scratchers. Contrary to my usual luck I managed to open a good gay sealed pool between hazoret the pervert and gloryhole bringer.

Got some street wraiths coming my way via suicidestephen so this will probably be the last run of the delver version, rip. I think the delvers are worse but not by much.

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 22, 2017

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Nah it's actually snapcaster.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

come play legacy tonight

I have not intact burn and not quite complete nor intact grixis delver.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

that's hot. Sylvan Library was so good in my legay death's shadow deck that i think i want two

The best part of the top ban is that death's shadow is now somehow playable in legacy too.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I use beads to represent tapped permanents.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Star Man posted:

Using a phone app to keep track of life totals is an acceptable aubstitute for pen and paper at $5 tournaments like FNM and Standard Showdown. Just no dice, sticks, teeth, whatever....

Eh, I've had a couple times when the dishonest grinder-type has clearly tried to cheat his life total and not an innocent missed fetch or painland at the FNM level. Paper record makes it easier to resolve and gently caress rewarding that type of behavior.

And is it really arduous to bring paper and pen? Plus if you're playing with hand revealing effects jotting their hand down on the same page as life total is much easier. At the FNM level I just leave the revealed cards revealed, but the aforementioned type usually doesn't.

myDad posted:

Woah...

And exert!

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Mef989 posted:

I play two bolts and like them for the extra reach. They still hit enough to be ok as removal and bolt snap bolt still wins games. I won't pretend to be an expert though.

Edit: To be fair though, they are also my go to cards most of the time as the first thing to board out.

Same in every way. It's my fav card so I'll always play one anyway.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Snappy is pretty nuts in the deck too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

The Sexual Shiite posted:

That man's voice is the equivalent of this:

Didn't know they had updated The Big Book of British Smiles.

Don't ban anything from death's shadow yet please.