Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

https://twitter.com/MSigrist83/status/1133751770105221120?s=19

Lands is back woot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

what are you getting back in lands?

e: i know siggy literally says seismic assault in the tweet but that seems like a super different deck

So this card existing means major potential changes. Cut any extra libraries you had, forget blue splashes. Main board a drop of honey, gw cycler, and a solitary confinement, and go to town. Between cycling lands, punishing fire, and the new walker, you're better than ever as a prison deck, and every part of your game plan is recurrable from the yard. Blast zone protects from b2b and rip, molten vortex, walker, and the Cascade retrace card deal with blood moon, etc. It's huge.

E; sideboard cards like seal of primordium or cindervines are more possible too, frenzy gets cooler, there's just so much tbh

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 29, 2019

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

lol thinking about it even more you can use the grove/pfire combo to pay for solitary confinement every turn

skyblazer you're a genius

I can't take sole credit for this one but yeah there's so many dumb rear end synergies just by the fact that the card exists. I've been wanting one for years but figured they'd never print it.

Loam + Cycle Land, Wrenn and Six, and Punishing Fire + Grove all keep Solitary Confinement up forever.

e; This is what I'm looking to start testing

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1959033#paper

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 30, 2019

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

If you're already going Naya colors for Lands, it's worth finding room for a Horizon canopy. I will help you test this, I've been on RUG lands (for EE+Academy Ruins), but this seems like a next natural step.

Canopy is still poop vs cycler lands. I'd play the GW cycler before I played canopy.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

C-Euro posted:

Lmao what pricing are you using to get $1500 Savannahs and $220 Wastelands?

They're set to show betas in the previews.

Also updated the image I was missing the most important sideboard card

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

So I hear modern is turbofucked with this new bridgevine

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Borachon posted:

Linear and combo decks always seem to dominate when there are major format changes until the midrange, control, and prison decks that can police them adapt appropriately. Dredge was the bogeyman after creeping chill was printed and Karn/Lattice combo decks were the bogeyman after WAR was printed, and in both cases things adapted to rein them in pretty reasonably, I think.

We'll have to see where the Hogaak deck ends up after things settle out a bit. It *is* a powerful deck and pretty resilient to traditional GY hate strategies, so I could see it needing to get knocked down a peg, but it's a little early to say, I think.

Dredge was still a top tier .5 deck in modern, as was phoenix. The formats never really 'adapted' to them, they warped to them via dedicated mainboard hate out of decks. This is just going to push it farther.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

So it turns out Wrenn and Six is really good in legacy

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

BTW this won't be a pioneer thread for a while at least, let things calm down and see if this has any staying power first.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

hope is a mistake

also if anyone is going to make it to Eternal Weekend let me know. I don't have vintage cards anymore but I'll probably play in the legacy event with nic fit or lands or some other garbage rear end deck that will lose to RUG Delver and Turbo Depths and Tomik

I'm not going this year but I'll buy you VIP if you can mail me the play mat and hoodie.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Legacy isn't dead, people always overreact to this stuff, other groups will step up and run events.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

W6 banned in legacy

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I miss paper legacy :( Haven't gotten to bring oko/uro sultai lands to a paper event yet, and the deck is really cool!

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Hello Yachtsmen, it's Eternal Weekend time (on MTGO!)

https://magic.gg/news/eternal-weekend-2020-on-magic-online

$25 entry, 3 days for Legacy (Oct 16-18), and 2 days for Vintage (Oct 24 - 25). $25 entry for any of the 6 events (3 and 3) will get you a god account that you can brew with for the weekend. You can even win oversized art cards too!

If you don't play these formats normally, $25 for a weekend of some of the most fun in magic is still worth it!

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Getting reps in for eternal weekend, if I can play this well I'm taking down the whole thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5Bc5Cv85IE

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I just kind of don't feel legacy anymore, which sucks because it was the last magic format I really enjoyed. All the new poo poo they put in just isn't fun, I hate all the random 2 card perfect combo type poo poo they plug in with the MH sets, I hate how everything has to be a must answer game winning card, I just want value to matter.

Like the only card they've printed recently I think legacy really benefited from in a fun way is Expressive Iteration. Everything else since MH1 could get axed and I'd be happier with the format.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

YggdrasilTM posted:

Isn't the format dominated by UR aggro

Yeah, because they've banned recent threats down to DRC and Murktide. The deck doesn't even always play delver anymore because it isn't good enough, and just went back to ever playing delver because they banned Ragavan. Legacy was a format that rewarded format knowledge and xerox specifically was good because you could use that knowledge to ride a razor edge ahead of what your opponent was doing.

Like, protecting a delver can be hard but rewarding, protecting a DRC is much easier, and if it dies that doesn't even matter because the surveils put enough in the yard to cast a 7/7 murktide. I play Lands, a deck which is even pretty good right now entire on the back of how busted Urza's Saga is, so it's not even like "a bloo bloo bloo my deck isn't good." It just isn't fun to play because again your entire gameplan revolves around one self-synergizing card that kills your opponent with no help if they don't answer it. It's pretty rare I win off of depths these days, I only play 2 now.

My binder has 4x uro, 4x wrenn, 4x oko, like the amount of poo poo that has gotten either banned or nearly immediately replaced due to an even better thing getting printed has gotten entirely out of hand for a format that used to see 4-5 new cards a year.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Finally selling out of legacy (mix of can't play bc covid and dislike of the direction of curation) and wowzers cards got expensive eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Bane is an easy 2 of because it just works alongside murktide but doesnt die to spot removal