Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

So, is the most expensive part of most modern combo decks still the manabase? Putting aside I guess the super chase cards like Tarmogoyf and JtmS which I understand is legal again?

One of these days I really want to start getting into modern, as it seems like one of the most fun formats. I have a modern UR storm deck in MTGO that I like a lot, and is mostly super cheap, but the $100+ in lands alone for a paper version has always been a little hard to swallow.

I guess it sounds like they're reprinting a lot of modern staples now, so hopefully shocklands are one of them eventually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Thisuck posted:

Shocklands are actually the cheaper lands, the fetches, especially Scalding Tarn, are where the real money costs are. Although with people playing more modern now, shocks have been going up a bit.

Dang, that's crazy. I thought paying like $20 per land was already pretty pricey. I guess that's just the shallow end of the cardboard yacht pool.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Thisuck posted:

Where are you buying your cards? I just checked TCGplayer and Steam Vents is only like $15. I mean, I'm up for supporting LGS, but when you're saving like $5 per card, I'd just buy them online.

Oh, I was just converting to CAD funny money, $15 USD. $15 USD is about $19 CAD.

Any suggestions on where to get cards in Canada, now that I'm thinking about it?

I suppose I should actually check the LGS in the area now that you mention it. There's a bunch in Toronto, one of them have to sell singles.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I did it, I bought into modern storm. Pretty excited about playing it in local events, considering I've only ever played modern on mtgo aside from a single event.

Though I'm going to have to spend some time gold fishing before I go considering I'll have to get used to tracking my mana and storm count by hand

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

So I've been double sleeving my modern deck up as I get the cards in. I'm using the dragon shield copper sleeves, which for some reason I thought were matte but aren't.

The cards are pretty bulky as a result. To the point that when I pull them out of the box they actually squish slightly, for lack of a better term. Like if I put pressure on one side the other end starts to spread out. Did I do a bad job with the sleeving and get a bunch of air stuck in them or something? Or is that just how they normally feel?

Also, the sleeves are unbelievably slick. It makes it kind of awkward pulling them out as they effectively slip out unless I squeeze them pretty tightly, and then they feel like they're bending due to the squishing. Which doesn't seem ideal, at least they shuffle well though!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Thisuck posted:

Yeah that's just air trapped in when you double sleeve, i usually press down on my cards a bit with my hand or a heavy book. Also yeah the copper color is one of the originals. They're not matted and are super slick, but they have a tendency to attract dust and black crud as you use them. They're still durable as hell though.

Lawnie posted:

Just mash shuffle your deck for 20 minutes while you watch TV. try to do it in a manner that would force air toward the opening of the outer sleeve. I did this last night.

Thanks for the tips! I was hoping it was something like this, otherwise man double sleeving would be a pain in the rear end

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Turns out U/R Gifts Storm is hard to play in actual matches! I learned a lot about what hands are actually viable, and that I need to be much more aggressive about mulliganing hands that aren't easily leading to a T4 combo.

I've also learned a bunch of additional gifting patterns in order to be more successful in shaping my hand. Hoping to not be unbelievably bad next week, but I suspect it's going to take a bit more practice before I'm remotely competent. It's a lot more fun than my old MTGO pyromancer's ascenion storm deck from a few years back, though being able to draw most of my deck through probes and ponders was a lot of fun.

Turns out Modern is way complicated, but super interesting.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I remember awhile back someone was kicking around a B/W Zombies list for Modern that they were tuning. Anyone have a link/list?

I've got a friend who's interested in putting it together, so I was thinking I could forward it there way.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Hey that was me, this is where I'm at now-

4 Concealed Courtyard
3 Godless Shrine
4 Marsh Flats
1 Plains
10 Swamp
4 Cryptbreaker
4 Death Baron
3 Fatal Push
4 Gravecrawler
2 Liliana of the Veil
4 Lord of the Accursed
3 Path to Exile
3 Relentless Dead
4 Thoughtseize
3 Tidehollow Sculler
4 Wayward Servant
//Sideboard
2 Blessed Alliance
2 Damping Sphere
2 Disenchant
3 Nihil Spellbomb
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
2 Stony Silence
2 Zealous Persecution

I'm not 100% on it yet, the Zealous Persecutions could for sure be something else and a goon in the main MtG thread said that Relentless Dead wasn't all that impressive. He splashed green for Lotleth Troll in that spot but didn't say if he cut out white entirely to do so, Servant and Sculler have both been good enough to merit the white splash and a green one on top of that feels a little tight. Personally I want to try Graveyard Marshal in that slot instead.

Awesome, thanks! I'll pass this on to them.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

i think jassi should be barred from all future magic events, and further, be stone-cold stunnered by "Stone Cold" Steve Austin through card tables until dead.

TBF that's the ultimate fate of all Magic players

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Yeah I realize now that I messed up the timing, even with the Cascade trigger. I feel like I have at least one timing-related gently caress-up per where I get too proactive with instant-speed effects rather than being reactive. Definitely something I need to drill myself on.

I make this mistake literally every time I play versus decks with cascade in it, and it never stops making me feel like a dummy

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Lawnie posted:

That card is $13??? Red mythic finally getting some respect apparently.

It was $5 a few weeks ago, Canadian, turns out that deck is really fun.

I actually built a different variant using the same discard/fiery temper shenanigans with a more burn oriented approach and risk factor as another card that can be discarded. UR for prowess creatures and snapcasters. It's super fun, and can be really, really grindy. Can't wait to get to play it more!

It's pretty incredible how many variants of the izzet spells sorta deck are popping up everywhere!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ilmucche posted:

I'm watching someone play lands in legacy and holy moly does it look fun. Shame the decks are insanely expensive.

Legacy looks extremely fun in general, and completely unattainable due to the cost

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I kinda wish they'd just offer an "eternal only" style of account or something like the did for the eternals weekend where you can just build whatever you want and jam events

I'd pay monthly for something like that just to mess around with really janky combos and be bracket fodder for people actually good at this game

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

That already exists sort of. Use code "RatTrain" for 15% off first 3 months, from Frank Lepore.

I'm almost done with my first month and definitely renewing. Gold tier is enough to play any deck in any format so far. I just saved my decklists on manatraders and it takes no time to just click "rent deck" on whatever I feel like playing that day.

I've thought about it, and the price isn't bad compared to buying the cards themselves, but it's still kind of steeper than what I can really justify unless I get really back into playing a ton of magic. I've sorta fallen off with quarantine and everything

I think the sweet spot for me is $20-25 a month, with some allocation of tickets for actually running through tournaments, since there's not really a "queue" idea other than free play in MTGO. Maybe I'm just cheap I dunno

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/3748940#paper

This list looks insanely cool. I wonder if it'll have any staying power?

Feels like just a solidly fun janky gimmick deck but those are honestly some of my favorite decks so probably works for me.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Can't decide what I want to play in modern this week between enchantress and belcher

Belcher is by far the better deck, but it's a free event and it's not like people will hate my deck less regardless of whether it's enchantress or belcher lol

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

The answer then is which ever brings you the most joy.

True, but I love both is the issue. Enchantress does my favorite thing in MTG, which is draw a bunch of cards. And Belcher is just plain fun because it's always fun flipping your deck at someone

Both decks draw a lot of hate for whatever reason. I'm not sure why because like.. if enchantress locks you out just move to game 2 or 3. They find the wincon eventually so unless you've got back to nature or something...

I guess in belcher's case though it's just people don't like getting combo'd out. Maybe I'll play belcher and hope to draw the Turn 0/1 this week.. still haven't gotten it in a real game

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

120 Card Yorion Enchantress Belcher.

:sickos:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Decided to go with Belcher and chase the dragon of the T1 kill

Ended up being a pretty easy 3-1 where I faced murktide in the first round and just couldn't stick anything. Also I'd forgotten to put veils back in my sideboard so I had absolutely nothing

Played against twiddle storm round 2 that featured him conceding because he misread a card (I kept saying it was fine but they absolutely insisted) and I was just not paying attention, then they did the math wrong and lost to their own pact trigger.

Round 3 was vs Yawgmoth which is such a cool deck. Unfortunately it has no interaction that's particularly relevant to me and so basically any reasonable T3/4 hand wins the game super easily so yep. They did take game 2 though!

Round 4 was against good ole burn. G1 I went off on T3 after they had a frankly absurd hand and I had to bolt myself down to 2 to win, however they only had a lava dart in the yard and were tapped out. G2 they won through leylines by drawing like, an incredibly creature heavy hand and bolting themselves a bunch to speed up the clock which was honestly super sick. G3 I went off T3 again and got very lucky that they'd tapped out, because they brought in deflecting palm and I hadn't even considered them deflecting it back at me when I popped the belcher.

Afterwards the kid who actually finished in first really wanted to play against belcher for some reason. He was on UW hammer and I proceeded to lose the first game to an absolutely ridiculously fast hammer hand, then go off through a pithing needle G2. G3 he had a completely insane hand again but I literally killed him T2 so it absolutely didn't matter and he looked kinda sad.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Trying to decide where to slot in the new elf lord for modern elves.

I feel like it's going to replace either shaman of the pack or the changeling, but I can't decide which makes more sense. I also sort of want to move up to 4 chords too... there was an interesting BGw toolbox version that ran the vizier combo as a one of for chords as well

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I gotta say, I've really been enjoying the tribal builds of elementals in Modern the past month or so

Though I'm gonna try and squeeze in some eladamri's calls so I can play mother of machines as well. I might just end up running 65 cards to add some calls + a couple lands....

Though flamekin awakener is admittedly not super exciting with mom on the field

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

People are running 75 card main decks for elementals now

Yeah, but those are the more control-y versions. I'm running the tribal build with flamekin and voice of resurgence instead of t3feri and w6

But honestly between flamekin and now eladamri I've got so many ways to tutor for creatures, and risen plus mother of machines draws so many cards, that sneaking in the extra cards (dunno if I want the growths as much) isn't a huge deal