Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Sigh... it's really frustrating that my new LGS sucks so much. Dude puts no effort into anything, including magic events. What's worse is he won't give up the reigns. I worked at an LGS in a pretty big MTG market for five years and can help him if he'd let me. Now I finally don't work at a store and STILL can't play the drat game.

Hooray for 3 people showing up to Modern when where I moved from had multiple stores in a 30 minute radius firing 20+ person events weekly.

/Endrant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I am super excited to do Modern in Indy at the end of the month. Now to decide on a deck.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I formerly played Mono Red in Legacy before I sold out of the format. Chalice, Trinisphere, Blood Moon, Through the Breach and Sneak Attack. It seems like some Dragon Stompy variants in Modern are kind of doing the same thing. Considering picking up the deck. Talk me into or out of it.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

Simian Spirit Guide will eventually get banned and then your deck will be unplayable instead of just really bad.
I disagree about SSG getting banned anytime soon, but I agree the deck does not seem that great.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I'll just stick to vengeance-ing and TTBing Emmy and Griselbrand for now. Thanks folks.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

myDad posted:

I brewed up a Dragon Stompy variant in modern & posted my WIP list a page ago or so, imo it would fit great in modern but people are afraid of experimentation

Trinisphere/Chalice completely hoses a lot of combo decks in modern and most fair decks can't deal with 4 Rabblemasters, couple Pia/Kirans, and increasingly scary dragons on curve

Blood Moon/Magus is great against all the 3 color decks, but can be safely taken out after game 1 for more specific hate since they will likely play around it
God Damnit ill see what cards I need. Lol.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Wizards banning Top shows that they perhaps care about the format (right or wrong). The lack of Wizards events for the format proves otherwise though.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Gnumonic posted:

I'm not gonna piss and moan about it, but Doomsday was the only thing keeping me playing MTG, and after having every. single. modern deck I thought was kind of neat end up banned, I think WoTC and I just have different ideas of fun. Time to part ways.

Anyone have any tips for selling off a collection? Tcgplayer/Ebay still the way to go?
Three options.

Sell locally for max money (don't lose any on fees) and take A TON of time to do it. This is the max effort, max money option.

Sell on something like TCG/eBay and lose about 15% on fee's, also comes with the hassle of shipping your cards. This is somewhere in the middle.

Sell to a middle man, like myself, who will pay you for your collection and slowly part it out over time for some profit. This is the least effort, least risk, and least money option.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
After winning 4 weeks in a row, Griselbrand/Emrakul took a poop on me last night. Several mulls to five, land floods, you name it. Still love the little bastard of a deck though.

Thinking about switching back to Pyroclasm in the side over Anger of the Gods. Most situations I'm seeing locally Pyroclasm is better for being a turn sooner and not needing double red, but there are some cases where the 3 damage and/or exile is needed.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

myDad posted:

Emrakul as more than a 1-of? Is this RB Reanimator in Modern?
I play a Grixis list. 4 Emmy/4 Griz. Yes Modern.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
There has been a lot of back and forth on using Opt in Ad Naus. It's probably better turn 1 compared to Visions. This may also create 12 cantrip Ad Naus, so we shall see.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Anyone have thoughts on Leyline main in Ad Naus? How about reduction of scry lands to play whatever amount of fast lands? I've been tinkering and can't decide what I like. I also cannot decide if I like Opt more than Peer after testing. Peer is just so good at digging for the missing piece, but Opt helps increase my chances of turn 1 lotus.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

I run Leyline main at my LGS when there are a lot of hand disruption decks. I also did it for GP Detroit during Eldrazi Winter. It works. It makes for some terrible draws sometimes but it is better than having your hand ripped apart. I usually cut the 3 spoils and an Unlife, moving them to the side. When I play a match without disruption I put them back.

I've been running 4x Darkslick Shores and 4x Seachrome Coast forever. I run 5 scrylands, 4 gemstone mines, and 3 basics. I may cut the swamp and go back to a 3/3 split on temple of enlightenment and temple of deceit. I'm currently at 3/2.
Nice! I am actually really digging this list:

http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=116071

I do like Damnation more than Supreme Verdict, simply because getting double black is important in this deck and having to make sure I have white and blue on top of double black is kind of a hassle. I'm also not a fan of the City of Brass and will just play another gemstone. Depending on if I try to alter this into 12 can trip (with Opt)... I would also cut a land. How do you feel about Opt?

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

I haven't done any testing with Opt. I'll probably play it in place of Sleight of Hand or Spoils initially.
I've never played spoils. Not a fan.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=111972

I've been playing Byrd's list until recently. I've had a few chats with him and he is working on a 12 can trip list currently. One opinion is that Sleight and Opt dig deeper for turn 1 lotus, compared to Vision's.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

I've never had much trouble with emrakul decks you just have to play differently (and lean on surgical hard.) I used to play this deck so much in pods heyday people started sideboarding emrakul. It didn't work.
Formats wide open.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I have always thought of company decks as decks that can have a lot of variance, especially with your one ofs. It is a meta call for sure. Seems to me that you want to play the second version more, so do that until your meta forces you to change some slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

uninverted posted:

They're not really higher variance than other decks. Jund and abzan have a lot of scattered one and two ofs too, but they're all just resource denial cards that are slightly better or worse against different people or bad in multiples. Everything in GW company does some variation of "develop my board while picking up incidental card advantage". You're rarely going to lose games because you drew one value bear instead of another.

The combo-based collected company decks are a different animal, but chord still makes them very consistent.
To me, having quite a few different combinations of one ofs is something I would label as variance, but I see your point. This does go back to meta choices though, which is obviously very different when comparing FNM to an Open.