Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The most interesting thing about City of Solitude is that it was illustrated by the same artist that did several Animorphs book covers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You know what Modern needs more of?

Ajani Vengeant.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

AgentSythe posted:

I have no idea if that is really correct, and even if it is, I will not write it that way

It technically is, but no one learns Latin or Greek anymore. Either spelling is fine.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

suicidesteve posted:

Tell that to Chaos Orb and Falling Star.

If Chaos Orb and Falling Star were legal today, would the card sleeve that they're in count as being a part of the card or would you have to take it out of the sleeve first?

EDIT: oh gently caress, there's actually an official rule on that very question! http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=603

Oracle posted:

10/4/2004 If you have sleeves on cards, they count as the cards.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

black potus posted:

Chaos Orb calls out needing to touch cards, so clearly you'd take it, and all other cards, out of their sleeves.

In that case, I'm going to play a deck with four copies of Soldier of Fortune, Cosi's Trickster, and request that my opponent play without sleeves.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I guess I'm a bad person for wanting to re-enter Modern with BW tokens :(

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Is there a reason that I'll see Boreal Druid used instead of Arbor Elf in Modern Elves lists?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Then what should I play :saddowns:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Buying booster packs is never a good deal. Like, ever.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Tim Raines IRL posted:

thoughts on Eldritch Evolution in Elves? In a typical Natural Order build, it seems really, really bad -- but in Chaos Elves, it's another way to find a t2/t3 Teeg, and just as importantly, we can still cast this with Teeg on the board.

I am going to try it in Modern and retreive Iona or Elesh Norn. Though I have to learn which color to name against certain matchups.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Yeah, it's a landfall deck that uses landfall creatures to run over the opponent or burn them out with Valakut and Scapeshift.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Because of the M14 legend rule, you can't do the cute trick of playing a second Flagstones of Trokair and getting two Plains when the lands erase each other from state-based effects.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It doesn't actually have that many fetches for a landfall deck.

Never mind that Scapeshift, Knight of the Reliquary, and Flagstones of Trokair accomplish the same thing.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Question for Dredge players: how happy are you when your opponent is playing Living End?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Am I crazy for wanting to put Cursed Scroll in a Legacy burn deck?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
All I own for burn right now is a playset of Lightning Bolts and a pile of Mountains. It was something on my mind this morning, I like it because it can go long like Grim Lavamancer does. I know that I've seen it in Legacy burn lists before.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Okay :smith:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I thought I'd never see the day where I would want to play Tron in Modern because I want to play with Sundering Titan and make people very angry with me.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Voyager I posted:

Fair warning: this is a meta where losing the coinflip means you can have Tron + Karn in your opening hand and still die before casting him.

Yeah, I know. Right now I play a gimped version of Skred Red because that's all I can afford (though I will have my Blood Moons on Friday).

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I went 3-1 at FNM Modern last night with Skred Red. I am using this list with some small changes: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-skred-red-27427#paper

Deck: Skred Red

//Lands
2 Scrying Sheets
20 Snow-Covered Mountain

//Spells
1 Batterskull
3 Blood Moon
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Koth of the Hammer
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Mind Stone
3 Pyroclasm
2 Relic of Progenitus
1 Roast
1 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
4 Skred
1 Sword of War and Peace
3 Volcanic Fallout

//Creatures
1 Godo, Bandit Warlord
3 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
2 Stormbreath Dragon
1 Wurmcoil Engine

//Sideboard
1 Boil
2 Dragon's Claw
2 Gut Shot
2 Molten Rain
2 Reality Hemorrhage
1 Relic of Progenitus
2 Sudden Shock
1 Torpor Orb
2 Vandalblast

Display deck statistics

The changes that I made were that I used two copies of Molten Rain instead of just one and one Stone Rain and two copies of Vandalblast because I didn't want to drop five dollars on a Tenth Edition Shatterstorm last night (black borders or bust). I won into ten dollars of store credit, so I used it to get two copies of Shattering Spree and swapped out Vandalblast for them.

My matchups were:

0-2 RW Burn: My opponent had Skullcrack or Flames of the Bloodhand ready when I had Wurmcoil Engine or Batterskull out to prevent me from gaining life to stabilize. It was about as fun as you think.

2-1 Jund Burn: I conceded the first game with only two life left because my twelve-year-old opponent made it known to me that his last card was Searing Blaze, so playing Wurmcoil Engine to stabilize would have been pointless. In game two, we both had two copies of Dragon's Claw in play and my very young opponent would keep playing burn spells even though they'd do little damage to me in the end. There was a point where our life totals were something like 9-40 when I finally had Pia and Kiran Nalaar down and a thopter token carrying Sword of War and Peace to stabilze and win the game. Koth also came in and helped while I was pushing through damage. Game three went about the same.

2-0 Naya Zoo: My opponent began the game with an Experiment One and a Tarmogoyf with only a single card type in our graveyards. The Tarmogoyfs multiplied, but a timely Relic of Progenitus kept them from finishing me off and a Pyroclasm erased my opponent's board, clearing the way for a thopter token and an attached Sword of War and Peace to win the game. In game two, Stony Silence hindered my mana acceleration with Mind Stone and I was tapped out when an Ancient Grudge destroyed my Relic of Progenitus, but I was able to stabilize with Wurmcoil Engine and go over the top with Batterskull to win.

2-0 Death and Taxes: Game one was won with the help of Chandra sniping one-toughness creatures like Thalia, Aven Mindcensor, and Flickerwisp. I never used her zero ability to draw cards because it was more important that I pick off creatures in order to keep Koth's loyalty up. In game two, my opponent had a turn zero Leyline of Sanctity, but in all four rounds of the event, I think I only ever used a Lightning Bolt to deal damage to a player once. It's just a creature killer in this deck. Sarkhan did work until he was removed with Path to Exile and Batterskull followed him to win the game. I held on to Vandalblast until I had the mana for the overload cost so I could erase both Aether Vials in play, but when I had the mana to do it, it was also more important to me to play anything else because I couldn't commit five mana to destroy both Vials. I just sat there wishing it was a Shattering Spree instead.

From orbiting the tables and seeing what other people play at my location, burn decks and both versions of Tron are popular. There is also Grixis, Bant Eldrazi, Merfolk, Red Affinity, and Hatebears running around. This was my second night with Skred Red. Last week I had to use Crumble to Dust in place of Blood Moon because I had finally had the money for them and ordered them on TCGPlayer that day and went 2-3. My only wins were against a budget Mardu Tokens deck and the Saheeli Rai/Liquimetal Coating combo deck. Against creature-based decks, I seem to do okay because my cheaper spells are all made to eliminate single creatures with Lightning Bolt and Skred or wipe them all out with Pyroclasm and Volcanic Fallout while I try to get Blood Moon out to deny mana and win with a planeswalker or big creature. But in my match against Merfolk last week, keeping up against the litany of cheap lords created with Aether Vial is tough and made worse when my opponent just so happens to have both copies or Master of Waves.

I can snipe creatures in Burn decks, but if I can't get Wurmcoil Engine or Batterskull in time, them I'm finished. I don't know how aggressively I should mulligan to find a Dragon's Claw and two lands to play it in that match.

And against the other decks I mentioned, I'm not completely sure of what to do beyond hope I get a Blood Moon and win with Koth or a dragon. Blood Moon always amazes me in just how much damage it can do to a deck and Modern loves its greedy manabases when the closest thing to Wasteland in the format only works if the player has four or more lands. A lot of decks just don't respect it, but I know that I shouldn't rely on Blood Moon to save me. I have the cards now to try a more creature-oriented version of Skred and I have considered trying this list that was on Channel Fireball. Changes to it that I have in mind are using Stormbreath Dragon over Demigod of Revenge and substituting Obsidian Fireheart with Wurmcoil Engine and Batterskull.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
How imperative is it to have Horizon Canopy in decks that play green and white? I'm planning on trying out an Eldritch Evolution Elves deck for FNM and Horizon Canopy is far out of my reach while I'm still in school. I've got a set of Temple Garden, Razorverge Thicket, and Windswept Heath, so getting access to both colors isn't an issue. But is having a land that can be sacrifice to draw a card going to make that big of a difference to me when I can't drop $70 on a land?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Now this is a storm deck: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/vintage-kobolds#paper

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Wolves are good at holding sticks and swords by the handle in their mouths. I also hear that effects that are similar to Survival of the Fittest are pretty good.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

C-Euro posted:

That's why I haven't taken it apart yet, lol

I'd just use them to build Eldrazi if I could get City of Traitors for less than a Benjamin per copy.

glhf

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Merfolk has the same problem that every creature deck does against Miracles: Terminus.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Question: am I crazy for wanting to prefer Tombstalker over Gurmag Angler? Is the one extra black mana in the casting cost that big of a deal breaker just for something with wings?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Elyv posted:

Every time I think about playing Death's Shadow in Legacy I remember its extremely awkward interaction with enemy Swords to Plowshares and I stop considering it.

I bet there's been an occasion or two where pointing a Swords to Plowshares at your own Death's Shadow was the only way you were going to survive a game.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You're going to get a stack of booster packs and the best thing in them will be one or two dual lands. You're not going to get a masterpiece in them

Don't buy booster packs.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Every MTG thread title needs to be Don't buy booster packs

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Seriously, you'll have a better time doing that.

I used to buy packs for Pokémon all the time when I was 13 hoping to pull certain cards in 2000. The guy that ran the place told me that the $15 I spent on packs to get a $15 card would be better spent getting the $15 Hitmonchan out of the case. So, I listened, bought non-holo rares and damages holos out of the $2 and $4 binders, traded aggressively for staple Trainer cards, and would steamroll events for store credit that I used for cards sleeves and...packs.

I was still in middle school :v: But the point is that I got more value out of spending $4 on a scratched Alakazam than I did on buying packs that had poo poo in them.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Unban every card in the game and ban all Magic players.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I want to play Bitterblossom and Ajani Vengeant in Modern. Should I build up for WB tokens or Sun and Moon first?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Nothing in this thread is as true as this statement.

No, the truest statement in this thread is:

Star Man posted:

Unban every card in the game and ban all Magic players.

And you carry out those player bannings with a shotgun.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Trading Post is a card that to this day scares and confuses me.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
More lovely cards I want to play in Modern:

Doran, the Siege Tower
Earthquake in Skred Red

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
What is the difference between playing Banishing Light over Oblivion Ring? Oblivion Ring has the avenue of exiling a card for good with bounce effects, but in a deck that doesn't utilize that strategy, then I can't see a difference between the two. Is it just a matter of taste at that point?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

uninverted posted:

Regionals decklists are up. Lots of spice in there, including storm, living end, landfall aggro with renegade rallier, and BUG delver.

yesssssssss Sun and Moon won a regionals.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Oi, I'm playing Skred Red for States this weekend because I don't have the cards, let alone practice, for Sun and Moon. Time to get rolled over by combo all day long.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
More dumb cards I wish had a home in Modern:

Progenitus
Thornling
Akroma, Angel of Wrath
Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Tim Raines IRL posted:

does anyone have any modern Esper builds that are control oriented, not awful, and also not faeries?

I'm sure there's an Esper Death's Shadow deck out there with your name on it.