Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Pretty hosed up that Wizards left the best deck in the format, the Mighty Quinn, out of the gauntlet

Also, extremely hosed up that a bunch of people have explained Nic Fit and have neglected to mention you're obligated to run at least one sideboard Tsunami. it's actually in the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

What if you're playing BUG Nic Fit?

better hope you find those four river of tears to cast your jace

e: if anyone ever wants to play bad decks or bad cards, or wants extremely bad opinions on how to accomplish something in a game of constructed Magic: the gathering, I'm your man

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 6, 2016

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

eSporks posted:

I don't really keep up with new sets, is there any sweet new tech to add to my nic fit doomsday deck? What about porting it to vintage?

Spanish Inquisition is a powerful brew that you have made even more powerful by slamming some Doomsdays in there. You already have the hot Wild Dogs technology to make sure you can turn on your culling the weak/other sac cards and isn't just dead in your hand if you already have enough mana.

i mean there's nothing really that enhances the engine of the deck and you probably have the two best "manual style" creatures you can pact for so i'm pretty sure this deck is perfect

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

eSporks posted:

Wild dogs != Wild Mongrel. Dogs is there to be a cantrip you can pact for, good for getting into doomsday piles.

??????

I didn't say wild mongrel

i said it's not dead in your hand (the cycling) which can be used with pact also, and you can culling the weak/cruel bargain/cabal therapy it in pinch

Bugsy posted:

Those leylines of the void are freaking awesome.

I need to acquire them

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

They're just lucky I had a wedding and couldn't bring the ultimate in anti-Eldrazi technology

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

eSporks posted:

If you guys missed the finals of GP Prague, its worth watching. Link to Game 3 here Its miracles vs Storm
Miracles player is holding force, force, flusterstorm, flusterstorm, surgical extraction, snap caster, blue card, and has a top in play. Storm player manages to win.

This guy is loving nuts. I like to think I'm a reasonable storm player but there's no way I can come up with those lines in that situation.

L0cke17 posted:

Moat Stompy? I dont think that deck can beat turn 1 moat.

I sold all my Sol lands :negative:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Rogue0071 posted:

Legacy is the greatest format.

http://imgur.com/a/5nRLi

Hm. Yes, this is good.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Close, because it has Chapin, but it's actually this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26PPRnVCLVA

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I mean, it's a classic, but holy moly does Brian Davis not play well

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Kraus posted:

Am I crazy for wanting to buy a couple of Badlands so I can play Dark Burn and B/R Reanimator?

I mean, if it's between buying Badlands and paying rent, yeah sure but if you have the dollars to spend B/R Reanimator is super fun to play and is a deck that has a lot of different lines you can take. if you enjoy that sort of thing you'll like B/R Reanimator

dark burn seems both bad and not fun

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Kraus posted:

It'd be something I save up to/trade in cards for. I basically have the whole deck, except the Badlands, and the Sires of Insanity. Are the Sires actually good? I have zero experience playing against or with them.

they're bad if you blow your load on one and they get swords'd, but other than that they're game winning on turn 1. they were worse when there were more goyfs around since if your opponent goes land, land, goyf that can be bad for you but you've already done a million damage at that point anyway

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Shadow225 posted:

I've heard the sentiment that Goyf is bad now. What changed to make that so?

suicidesteve posted:

Moat, Rest in Peace

Man, if only there were a deck that played both of these...

:twisted:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Let's talk about the objectively best eternal format, which is Pauper

What is everyone doing in pauper? I'm not particularly revolutionary and have been trying out elvish vanguard, shaving a few visionaries and sometimes a priest of titania. It has been Pretty Good but just making a big idiot isn't that interesting.

i've also tried making UG Canadian Threshold work, and as sweet of a card as Temporal Spring is, it is not going well

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Mostly not playing it because Peregrine Drake is ruining it.

UG really needs a land that has island and forest types so you can get an island with with Land Grant. I've been trying to brew something up that's close to old school Gro lists with like 12 lands but it really badly needs a good threat and the aforementioned dual.

Trop should be a common, imo. easily the worst blue dual

i haven't really been playing online, just in paper with some bros. does peregrine drake really ruin the format? needing to have five lands already do do mnemonic wall/ghostly flicker poo poo seems a lot worse than cloud of faeries

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

It doesn't need bounce lands, Familiars, or mulitple colors and Peregrine Drake, Archaeomancer, Ghostly Flicker is infinite with no other help.

oh right. ghostly flicker is two things

lol

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

okay here's the list

the 8-whack guys
some lightning bolts
i think goblin grenade?
some goblins

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

maybe

how about you play some games and find out

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

I'm running a grixis teachings/skred control list.

i need a list immediately

i'm assuming it shaves some countermagic for bolts and skreds?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

This is where I'm at currently. Considerations for changes Im thinking now: 1 more mill card, and another crypt incursion, or blockers somewhere. When I was playing sprout spawning (which I cut because dispel is too common nowadays to rely on it) it was great for making blockers, but this list leans heavily on removal then eventually resolving a crypt incursion halfway through milling the opponents deck to stay alive. its weak to mono-black, but is otherwise decent in most matchups.

4 Evolving Wilds
3 Izzet Boilerworks
8 Snow-Covered Island
2 Snow-Covered Mountain
2 Snow-Covered Swamp
4 Terramorphic Expanse
4 Accumulated Knowledge
4 Brainstorm
1 Chainer's Edict
4 Counterspell
1 Crypt Incursion
2 Curse of the Bloody Tome
1 Diabolic Edict
2 Dispel
1 Echoing Truth
1 Electrickery
1 Jace's Erasure
3 Lightning Bolt
1 Logic Knot
3 Mana Leak
2 Mystical Teachings
1 Pyroblast
2 Skred
2 Staggershock
1 Terminate

Sideboard:

1 Circle of Protection: Red
1 Diabolic Edict
1 Dispel
1 Electrickery
1 Hydroblast
1 Muddle the Mixture
2 Pyroblast
2 Relic of Progenitus
1 Serene Heart
2 Shattering Pulse
1 Skred
1 Snow-Covered Plains

edit: I also have been going back and forth on muddle the mixture in the main. I may go for 1-3 drift of phantasms for decent blockers and being able to tutor for crypt incursion.
thanks for reminding me that loving Terminate is a common

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Is it just missing the caverns? iirc there are judge wastelands and ports. Oh i guess it usually splashes either black or white so youve got the duals too

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

the Lava Man is fine if you go the bauble/probe/lava spike/mutagenic growth plan and just try and hit people in the face. if you're on that plan you probably shave a few lands and don't mess around with things like Pia and Kirin

e:
Paul Rietzl has unveiled a delight of a deck in the VSL:

//Creatures
1 Blightsteel Colossus
1 Trinket Mage
1 Snapcaster Mage
1 Consecrated Sphinx

//Jace the Mind Sculptors
3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

//Spells
1 Tinker
1 Time Walk
4 Force of Will
3 Mana Drain
3 Mental Misstep
2 Flusterstorm
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Brainstorm
1 Fact or Fiction
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Repeal
1 Spell Pierce
1 Spell Snare

//Artifacts
3 Null Rod
1 Black Lotus
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Sol Ring
1 Chalice of the Void
1 Mana Crypt

//Enchantments
3 Back to Basics

//Lands
9 Island
4 Wasteland
2 Polluted Delta
1 Strip Mine
1 Library of Alexandria
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Flooded Strand
1 Misty Rainforest

//Sideboard
1 Flusterstorm
2 Annul
2 Blue Elemental Blast
2 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Mindbreak Trap
2 Dismember
1 Propaganda
1 Hurkyl's Recall
1 Arcane Laboratory
1 Ravenous Trap

So, this deck is kind of a mash of the two things I wanted to do in Vintage. I wanted to play 4 wastelands, a strip mine, and a crucible. That leaves me with landstill or some shops variant. the other thing I want to do is play a 3 mana enchantment that hoses most lands in the format. This meant Blue Moon, but Paul has remembered that Back to Basics is a card that exists.

I think if I played this, I would be inclined to make it UR, just to have better ways of interacting with resolved permanents. So, probably some Dork Fandangos and Sudden Shocks and an EE main, pyroblasts, sulfur elemental, probably a hammer mage and other red artifact hate in the board. People played three color stoneblade decks with back to basics in it, so there has to be a way to make that manabase work. Maybe two Volcs and a mountain? maybe switch that around? One thing I know I am keeping around is Propaganda. holy poo poo is that hot against the Eldrazi manabase

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 26, 2016

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

I think in the current meta, white is a better splash than red. Yes, you dont get pyroblast, but swords/path and disenchant are way better right now than the direct damage spells. If you do switch it up, you need min 6 fetches, maybe 8. two basics of your splash color, and 1 dual to fetch with the off-color fetch.

Everything you are saying makes sense, except that I cannot use Plains to cast a Hammer Mage

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Pretty hosed up that you would suggest putting a Plateau in your deck.

what if some kid reads this?

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 27, 2016

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The March Hare posted:

I'm missing 7 of my sideboard cards so I'm running some... interesting sb options.

go on

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Anyone play legacy or vintage in Chicago? I know mtg cardmarket is there and they run events, but didn't know if anyone else knew some other cool spots to check out

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I have some $ for a new legacy deck. do i go for the better deck and build infect, or should i put together the daretti stax list I've been playing on xmage? it's not great but it keeps your opponent from playing magic at all.

Depends entirely on what you want to be able to "cross over" into. Infect gets you forces, duals, fetches, Daretti stax gets you sol lands (which are obviously blowin' up right now) and possible other random stuff that has cross appeal like chalice and mox diamond (i am making assumptions about your list). Sol lands also turn into an actual good deck right now so you can't really go wrong

also, anyone playing doomsday in legacy right now? i saw it top 8'd a super iq or whatever the sunday events are called but I'm not convinced it is better than ANT. still, seems sweet.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I have experience with Shardless and with Sultai Delver too. Just not sure which one is best for the weekend though I don't know if their Eldrazi matchups are much better than Grixis.

Grixis Delver with Stifles is probably not good (though most aren't playing Stifles anyway) but that eldrazi deck is still a Stompy deck. they don't have any manipulation like you do. More Pierces and Strixes seems good.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I have no idea if that is really correct, and even if it is, I will not write it that way

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

I have a dilemna. Should I register 4x moat for an upcoming legacy tournament, or 4x chains of mephistopheles? Or try to brew something with both.

W/b Parfait with both, not close

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Kraus posted:

Lame. I was hoping for some unbannings in Legacy.

Unban Frantic Search you loving cowards

what do y'all think about bedlam reveler in noted bad format modern? maybe something like this:

4 Tay Tay
4 Delver
4 Stormchaser Mage
3 Bedlam Reveler

Bolts, Lava Spikes, Mutagenic Growths, Probes, Serum Visions, Dismembers, vapor snags, maybe some remands

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

when you get hierarchs you should get that thrun outta there and play wilt-leaf liege since your plan is just to smash face with huge idiots. i also think i want some number of RIP with Dredge running around (and you also have no goyfs)

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Fingers McLongDong posted:

He can't play RiP because he's running Lingering Souls, voices, and kitchen finks.

Also I think I may have been the one to originally suggest the Thrun because I ran one maindeck at GP Charlotte in anticipation of jeskai Nahiri decks and it was fantastic all weekend. Wilt-Leaf would be better if you're expecting more creature based matchups.

okay but RIP turns off their whole deck

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

yes

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Pontius Pilate posted:

Though speaking of new moon cards and burn has anyone tried one or two bedlam reveler? I'm hoping one is enough of a free roll cause I like the card.

i've been playing the "list" i posted on this very page. it's been fine. I don't think i'd play reveler without all the free stuff like mutagenic growth and probe

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

Anyone playing in the sunday Legacy even at the Baltimore Open this weekend?

Assuming I scrub out of Standard, so yes

e: I brought two legacy decks with me. One is the correct choice, but the other just feels so right

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

if you're on the scepter plan you'd probably want to find some room for silences too

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Star Man posted:

Is there a reason that I'll see Boreal Druid used instead of Arbor Elf in Modern Elves lists?

you should play neither, but the reason is that Boreal Druid always taps for mana, whereas it's not insane to have a draw that doesn't have forests in that deck. in a deck that always wants to blow your opponent up by turn four, it was thought the consistency is more important than the upside arbor elf provides

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

uninverted posted:

I think boreal druid is supposed to be a higher floor, lower ceiling nettle sentinel replacement, so play nettle sentinel?

yes do this and i mostly saw boreal druid in the beck//call versions, which you should not play

skyblazer what are you playing on sunday

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The Mighty Quinn trip report: it's bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

Oh lmao were you the guy playing that? It looked sweet

I played it in one of the challenges on Saturday, yeah. I played a real deck in the second challenge and in the classic on Sunday

okay so how am I supposed to beat Death and Taxes on a consistent basis with Grixis Delver? I mean I can do it with my Super Delver draws and I do my best to protect my mana and value lands since I know they're going to get hosed up over the course of the games but that matchup seems tough