Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

I told you, get really lucky and have them draw badly.

It can't ever seem to beat multiple terminus so I guess I just throw in the Tundra and run those. can't ever lose

Speaking of death and taxes losing to terminus, I saw the following sequence of events at the classic yesterday: Miracles vs D&T, just going into turns in game 3. Miracles guy has countertop assembled and a baneslayer. D&T guy attempts to go for the draw by flickerwisping the baneslayer in attacks. Flickerwisp ability happens, miracles guy goes to second main, hard casts a Terminus, Baneslayer comes back.

Basilisk Collar + Endbringer is a delight. What does it want Crucible for? Fulminator mage matchups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Yeah I cut Dread of Night (and something else) for Baleful Strix. I was expecting more eldrazi but instead got Mom'd

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Thisuck posted:

Yeah, the slightly higher cost is only mitigated by not being affected by Thalia and Wingmares, Ports and Wastelands are still a bad time. On that note, I'm slowly building up my D&T deck, just gonna go with judge promo Ports, got one last week, 3 more to go!

you monster

also I never tried massacre because keeping a swamp in play is actually kinda hard against that deck. i might just bring the dread of night back in and figure out somewhere else to cut.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Oh lmao were you the guy playing that? It looked sweet

on the other hand i could just jam The Mighty Quinn every event

what were you playing? that event was small so I probably saw you

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

kizudarake posted:

Eldritch Elves/combo elves

What's your list for this? I don't play with Shaman of the Pack but I almost always want to be able to cast my tutor at instant speed without using actual mana. Evolution is better when you have less of a board, but if you're in that situation then sacc'ing an elf is not free at all.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

kizudarake posted:

My current list is the hoogland Iona elesh norn allosaurus rider package, but I can't start play testing until my buddy from my local store brings back my regular combo elves deck.

That one's full of the normal combo elf stuff with 4 chords, 4 coco and 3 Genesis wave, dump a shitton f mana into mirror entity's ability, and 5 mana into ezuri's ability, then swing for several dozen trample damage

oh okay. I haven't seen the Hoogland list - I was thinking of the second thing you said

Skyl3lazer posted:

I was the guy playing belcher in the 4pm sat event

Were you the guy that got Echoing Truth'd out of the game by that High Tide guy that couldn't combo unless he went infinite with bought back Capsizes?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

EvilBeard posted:

Las Vegas 2017 gonna be lit

holy mackerel what an event

also apparently we get two GPs this year, since Louisville in January is also Legacy

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

It would be interesting if there was a strategy in vintage that punished decks for setting back land drops, possibly through a combination of wasteland and specific taxing effects. Of course this deck would have to get disruption in place quickly, so perhaps some combination of artifacts and some card that made it easier to cast artifacts ahead of schedule

just a thought

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Kraus posted:

Is this erotic fiction?

Depends entirely on if you enjoy casting the card Monastery Mentor or not

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

Or I just typed the dates wrong or something but that would require thought I guess

you better hope that high tide guy doesn't show up or you're hosed

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

so does anyone in here watch Rich Shay stream, or the VSL? I'm putting together Landstill independently, but he's been doing well with a version that has New Emrakul in it. I'm curious if anyone has seen how those games play out, and if that card is better than a consecrated sphinx or any of the other big blue finishers. it seems really bad without having watched the games, and really hard to cast without an academy+requisite artifact count.

i guess with a standstill out and both players just kind of staring at each other you might build up to enough mana to cast the thing

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

oh that's right the mindslaver is an on-cast trigger. lol

how much trouble does he have casting the thing?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Walked posted:

Anyone else going to the Baltimore SCG in November? I'm going to do the main legacy event and then modern when i fail to make day 2.

Trying to drag my brother and a guy from work, but TBD

yeah probably

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I've been messing with a dumb (modern) BUG Elves list that's heavy on 4 drops and uses Eldritch Evolution instead of CoCo because I'm sick of casting CoCo. Master Biomancer feels like a card that ought to be playable somewhere in modern; of course it's very weak to Path, but it survives bolt, and in an elf shell it's not hard to get it out of dismember range.

gonna need a list for this immediately

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Walked posted:

So after having finally putting a couple legacy decks together: legacy is the bomb. Holy moly fun

some day you'll be truly enlightened and start foiling out pauper decks

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

strictly better has been called

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Star Man posted:

Question for Dredge players: how happy are you when your opponent is playing Living End?

extremely irritated, because I have Insolent Neonates and other awful cards in my deck

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

seems funny out of the sideboard of enchantress, but other than that I don't see it. bug nic fit with pod maybe but i've already listed off two joke decks

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Fingers McLongDong posted:

In 2 games against a Jeskai player Mindcensor cost him 7 lands.

WotC keeps this card unbanned but I can't have something simple like Frantic Search? Pretty hosed up

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

since there isn't twin running around anymore i took spellskite out of the main in elves and replaced it with a selfless spirit and it has been absolutely nuts.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Pontius Pilate posted:

Your ebay sales after lodestone got restricted?

:holymoley:

i will not be at champs because i bought a house instead of power

e: and even if i did have my power finished off I'd still be playing a horrible deck

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

pitch dredge or regular dredge

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

the depth sideboard owns actually since it dodges all of their hate

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i prefer to not cast spells when playing dredge and using my draw 2 every turn to find what i need

though i wouldn't play the Dark depths version in non-pitch dredge since the therapies and countermagic give you a bunch of time. vengeful pharaoh is also great since it is still effective under the most common hate, Cage

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

So what you're saying is you would rather not cast spells in dredge, but you would only play depths in the dredge list that casts the most spells?

I mean I knew you were going to be willfully obtuse because you're a loving magic player so i should have said I am not in the business of paying mana to cast spells in dredge

i've learned my lesson

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Um, so it's just the Gifts combo with Brain in a Jar letting you cast stuff for cheaper (and uncounterable outside of cards like Squelch)?

paying 1 mana and tapping an artifact to put 4 1/1 fliers into play and drawing four cards seems like, if i may borrow a phrase, gas

e: also lets you cast sorceries at instant speed, which is particularly interesting with supreme verdict and opponent man-lands

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i think it was in old RDW decks but a 3 mana card that doesn't do anything seems worse than any of your millions of lava spikes or prices or eidolons

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

if by colorless eldrazi you mean the temple/eye/Sold Lands deck with chalice and all the artifact based disruption, that deck is extremely good and i'm not sure less well positioned than any of the viable delver flavors

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

mcmagic posted:

The only deck I would play in a legacy event is Belcher.

this, but The Mighty Quinn

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Ville Valo posted:

When does Colorless Eldrazi bring in Oblivion Sower out of the sideboard? It's obviously great in the mirror - where else? Lands? Miracles?

seems great in any matchup where the card Life from the Loam might be cast

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

Went 3-0 playing RG Ponza at Modern. It felt fun land-screwing people but I had alot more fun playing the Sudden Reclamation deck.

what's your list? I'm putting together a list i put in the Brewhaus thread with Eldritch Evolutions

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Biaga posted:

I am new to the thread and was introduced to the game via some close friends. They are seriously addicted, like I am worried sometimes, but in an effort to avoid my taunts they have recently purchased me a commander deck in hopes I will, like them, fall in love with the game. The commander deck they gave me was the Wade into Battle, and I was hoping to get some advice from goons on how to min-max it, because obviously I am totally not curious about beating them. Any advice would be helpful or if there is any trick of the trade I should know I would be greatful.

In addition to the main thread, there is a Commander specific thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636688

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

This almost makes me want to play a Brainstorm deck again.

Almost.

No it doesn't.

god that masques brainstorm is loving hot

e: yo mezzanon, how many people did you gack with your spell pierces? i know i never play around that card and most people playing modern don't either

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 21, 2016

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Going back to BW Tokens for just a moment, somebody please talk me out of building this version instead.

if you want to play that you either need more lili's or collective brutalities for when you draw the spaghetti monster

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

on the other hand, then you are playing vintage

Star Man posted:

How imperative is it to have Horizon Canopy in decks that play green and white? I'm planning on trying out an Eldritch Evolution Elves deck for FNM and Horizon Canopy is far out of my reach while I'm still in school. I've got a set of Temple Garden, Razorverge Thicket, and Windswept Heath, so getting access to both colors isn't an issue. But is having a land that can be sacrifice to draw a card going to make that big of a difference to me when I can't drop $70 on a land?

the only time it matters is if you have lots of critical noncreature white cards, since caverns can be used to cast the creatures in a pinch. even then, getting there with fetches and temple gardens is not hard. the draw a card thing is not relevant

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

someone tell me how to live the dream in modern, and that dream is to torrential gearhulk a commandeer

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Gifts Ungiven for Gearhulk, Commandeer, Unburial Rites, Quicken.

:vince:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Elyv posted:

What are you commandeering in modern, become Immense?

obviously their ad nauseam in your deck full of expensive poo poo

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Dehtraen posted:

Eldrazi
Death and Taxes
Miracles
Death and Taxes
Death and Taxes
BR Reanimator
4c Delver
Hex Depths

Actual lists --- Vintage up top, legacy below http://www.cardtitan.com/coverage

well i guess i'll just throw delver in the garbage

e: i know there is literally a delver list in there but playing against the card "sword of fire and ice" makes me very sad

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

what happened to your NRA av

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Are you talking about the Rich Shay thing? Because that's not what happened at all.

what happened here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

finally, pauper can return to its rightful place as the best eternal format:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-online/pauper-banned-list-change-2016-11-03

hail satan