Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

mehall posted:

This is what I'm looking to move into, from my current version of Nic Fit, since I feel like I can lose some of the midrange easy-wins as I feel I'm strong enough against the aggro decks I'm facing.
Combo is basically a wash for this deck, I hope they don't have it, and hope I draw some hate post-SB, so trying to find where i can gain against the control decks has been key, and this deck plays super sweet.

Thoughts?
(Other than "replace your temple garden with a savannah, and get more ABU duals!")

Comedy suggestion: slip a copy of False Prophet into the 75

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Well with Miracles dead I'm thinking of making a bant control-ish list running the usual suspects.

Force
Snap
Daze
Brainstorm
Ponder
Jace
Noble Heirarch
Tarmogoyf
True name
Etc etc... see how it plays.

I've been waiting for the day this cool deck does anything else again ever, maybe today is it's day: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=6650&d=238217

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Take UR delver without the cryptic serpents, it's a perfectly serviceable deck. Some people have been trying goblin guides (which I don't care for) or soul-scar mage for goyf and angler metas, with mixed results. Price of progress is in a reasonable spot right now, and a spicy thunderous wrath singleton or just one plain ol fireblast can win out of nowhere.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
UR Delver :getin:

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
That list's been floating around The Source for a little while now. It seems neat, if not as powerful as other storm lists. Some people have actually been dropping the Hazoret's Undying Fury all together.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
We had a guy at our shop trade four sneak attack, four show and tell, and two emrakul the aeons torn for all ixalan packs last week. Some people just are aren’t that bright when it comes to packs.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I once played a legacy open running Solidarity during the Dig Through Time days, and R1 went past time, well beyond my match, because of a D&T mirror that ended in a draw G1. It looked cool as hell.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
It would only cost me about $85 to get the last two goblin guides and handful of commons I need to just have Legacy Burn (lava spikes are oddly pricy). I don't know if it's really worth it to have access to the deck, but I guess if I ever do get a chance to play a legacy event, it keeps me from being unable to play because I won't spend the dough on volcanics/ gives me another option besides old builds of Solidarity or All Spells.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
A part of me says "why not?" in a world where I want the goblin guides anyway so that I'm fully 7-8 expensive lands away from any reasonable 75 of UR delver, a deck I started putting together simply because I already had the blue cards, half the red ones, and four wastelands. At that point Dig Through Time had just gotten banned, and Solidarity was becoming an exercise in frustration. On the other hand, I could not spend the $85 and put it aside to start in on maybe getting those volcanics (or tarns at least).

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

The March Hare posted:

I've basically never played modern, am I Really loving Stupid for wanting to play a U/B/W deck that just runs a bunch of discard and fatal pushes/paths on 1, some remands and snaps on 2, ashiok on 3, jace and cryptic on 4 w/ some sweepers in there somewhere?

As someone who also never plays modern, that all sounds fine in my mind except that as much as I love Ashiok, I don't think it's good enough to see play over either of the 3-drop Lilianas. The Last Hope probably fits better in the deck you're describing since it sounds like you want to be able to hold up countermagic a reasonable amount of the time.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Mezzanon posted:

I just realized (between asking for information on Legacy infect vs legacy Goblins) that I have all the cards for legacy burn except a singleton sulphuric vortex. Since I'm babby's first legacy player, why not bring burn??

I actually don't hate burn right now, just because I like casting Price of Progress against decks like Czech Pile, Grixis/BUG/4-Color Delver, and Lands. I'd rather be on UR Delver, but burn still gets to play it.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Years ago my older brother ripped a Gaea's Cradle, and when he quit the game he gave it to me along with the rest of his collection. I sold it recently and asked him what he guessed they went for these days. "Oh dang! 15 bucks?" :classiclol:

Now I can justify buying a volcanic for legacy, even though I rarely get to play, because it's I can kinda convince myself I'm basically just trading for it instead of throwing a profit right back into the hobby.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

The March Hare posted:

Solidarity is the best deck. Also: unban dig through time.

It really is a blast to play and I miss having DTT to make it reasonable. Even, then, it might be fun to throw it back together again sometime to take for a spin.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Tim Raines IRL posted:

gently caress me for not buying volcanics

:respek: I dumped my old gaea’s cradle and some extra fetches for two at $350, and I’m really regretting not dumping my grim monoliths and maybe some other junk for at least one more.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

or of course the most common counterplay, casting a Reset

My man :c00l::respek::c00l:

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Remember when drawing for your turn was a trigger you could counter with stifle? Good times.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

The March Hare posted:

I'm at the point where I'm considering building high tide because "all" I need are candles. So, at least y'all aren't me.

If it makes you feel better, the proper build right now (or at least the one being championed by someone who's prolific with it on MTGO) doesn't play candlesticks. I don't know if this is the guy, but this is the list: http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=19642&d=325990&f=LE

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Going into a legacy tournament with no idea on the meta, would you rather run A) U/R delver, a complete list of basically any build from wasteland/stifle builds to goblin guide sligh builds with complete sb B) Sneak and Show, but without access city of traitors or intuition, and not an ideal sideboard C) Solidarity, complete in all it's glory, or D) Breakfast Burrito, mostly for giggles?

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

:cmon:

But play a Steam Vents and a sideboard Expansion // Explosion

I don't have any, but in a pinch, I've got Volcanics

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 14, 2018

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

It's suboptimal but I guess.

Here's my list I've been trying. I'm still not sure the AKs are better than Opts.

I really like AK with Mission briefing, it's a part of what makes me want to put the deck back together. I just like AK in general, to be honest, though it may not be good, I haven't played with it in years.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Is Mardu Pyromancer still a competitive modern deck (assuming enough practice with the deck)? I'm really only K-commands away from a non-LotV build of the deck now that I've been able to scoop up some shocklands, and since my Monday nights will finally be free in the not too distant future and modern mondays are probably my store's most attended events, I've been thinking about putting it together.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

BaronVonVaderham posted:

There's an arena thread? No one shuts the gently caress up about arena in the main thread still, so I would have never guessed.

I know it wouldn't achieve anything, but boy howdy do I want to quote the poo poo out of this in the main thread.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
In about a month I'm going to be free on Monday nights and able to go to Modern Mondays at my LGS, and I'm not sure what I want to try and put together to attend. I have all of the shocks, all of the khans fetches, and scalding tarns, but basically nothing in the way of man-lands or fast lands, and a smattering of staples that applies more to legacy than to modern, mostly grixis stuff. I know I could put together a reasonable version of burn (I have it together in legacy from old U/R delver parts) but I'd like to get something different together sooner rather than later for my own enjoyent's sake. I know my meta includes GR tron, titanshift, amulet bloom, 8-rack (I think two players?), Infect, burn, storm, and jund. Any suggestions for something that wouldn't be too crazy expensive to build and wouldn't roll over to a large % of that field?

E: flipping through lists on mtgtop8, it looks like death's shadows themselves and mishra's baubles are about all I'm short for Grixis Shadow, outside of sb LotV and k-commands, if that helps.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 25, 2019

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Flipping through Death's Shadow lists with a buddy, he mentioned something I hadn't thought of: Are there any lists running around trying to replace gurmag angler with pteramander? My inclination is that it's not good, unless maybe you completely rebuild the deck around it, The more I think about it, the more I'm not keen on it because it's vulnerable to more removal, usually takes more mana, and doesn't benefit from fetches and street wraith. On the other hand, it flies and is better against bounce/phoenixes, but I'm not certain a slower and more evasive strategy is what the deck wants.

Also, I really want to put postmortem lunge in grixis shadow, even if it's wrong.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
After years away from the game I've been playing premodern lately, and it's great because it's a format that WotC can't possibly go and gently caress up (and also no expensive dual lands and as an unsanctioned format they let you play gold bordered cards).

It is in large part a nostalgia trip as well, but the games are genuinely great to play out a lot of the time.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
You don't even have to be an old grog to play premodern, you can just pick up madness for $50. A fair bit of the true aggro decks can be had pretty cheap too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Kinda plays nice with Cabal Therapy too. I'd guess it shits all over 8 cast's lunch.