Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

Edit: does anyone know what’s up with the pioneer meta right now?

Winota, Lotus Field, and a couple of flavors of UR (Phoenix or Narset + Day's Undoing) seem like the decks to beat, or at least the decks that people love to hate. There's also a Rakdos Midrange deck that's gaining popularity but I think the "correct" build is TBD.

From an outside observer, Pioneer looks pretty cool right now but I think we're about to hit the point where enough people are playing the format again that its flaws are going to become obvious enough to start driving people away again. Plus no one is running paper Pioneer events near me, and the renewed interest + low volume of drafting on MTGO has made the format more expensive than it has any right to be. So I'm just going to chill with my Bant Spirits list from two years ago and my half-finished BW Auras list until something changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

I picked up two of the pioneer challenger decks, bw auras (gently caress), and lotus field combo (hell yeah)

What are the general upgrades for the lotus field deck?

I don't have any experience with Lotus Field but the Goldfish page is here-
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/pioneer-hidden-strings#paper

And yeah Auras got borked by the Lurrus ban :( it's a shame because I have a bunch of reps with Historic Auras decks and was hoping to port that experience to Pioneer. Oh well.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

kalel posted:

latest eternal glory podcast episode is pretty good, there's a lot of practical advice about attending a paper tournament. the first and most emphatic bit is "take a shower" which made me lol

there's also a tidbit where one of the hosts (boshnroll) says "no one gives a poo poo about how you lost" which felt pretty relatable. asking for emotional support when you take a harsh L is good, but going into unwarranted detail about the game state is just tedious and annoying. wish I had the balls to just say that myself to my cedh friends who do that lol

I think it can be worth talking about how you lost as an exercise in "could I have won this with a different line?", but as the losing player you definitely have to go into such a conversation with that objective in mind. Most people don't!

And my paper tourney advice that doesn't get enough discussion is to make sure you eat and drinking enough, both before and during the event. When I was still playing paper FNMs I'd bring a Clif Bar or something even to an event that small!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Smashing Link posted:

Introducing to the thread our new pup, Mox Diamond ("Moxie"). Drake (Gilded) was under discussion but my wife thought people would confuse him with the musician. And Hellfire just didn't seem to fit with his personality.

gently caress yes, I love a good Magic success story.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

Start the parade!

My understanding is that MonoU is pretty favored against MonoG outside of Skylasher shenanigans, but great write-up and great win :toot:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ilmucche posted:

Yeah modern is weird. I don't really know how to describe it but it feels less fun than it was in like 2018. Everything feels so powerful?

Everything just does too drat much-

-Creatures with such useful ETBs that you're willing to go down a card to use them.
-4-color decks that can not only handle a Blood Moon, but sometimes run it themselves.
-A 1-drop that can put the game away on its own.
-A Gray Ogre that tutors and casts your deck's best spell on cast.
-Decks that can not only run 80 cards, but that are better off running 80 cards than 60.

No I'm not bitter that I finished foiling out Mill right as it became unplayable, where'd you get that idea

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

HootTheOwl posted:

Ban fetches then. But they won't.

Shortly after Pioneer was announced, I predicted that Modern was going to become Legacy without the Reserve List and Pioneer would become Modern without fetches, and I haven't seen anything to take me off of that prediction :colbert:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

HootTheOwl posted:

Look at you idiots paying mana for spells. You idiots. You loving morons.

Modern.txt

I had a epiphany a few weeks ago that the Rhinos deck (really any Cascade deck) is just an exercise in "how many ways can I take advantage of the rules around printed mana costs?"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

It's been a lot longer than that. I don't even have a constructed deck outside of premodern at this point. And I'm like $500/8-12 cards away from having one thanks to being on strike when mh2 released.

Relationship to Magic status: It's Complicated

Mezzanon posted:

Pretty big reason for me stepping away from the game.

Plus any new deck will cost me $500 in cards that can be cast for zero mana.

To be fair, 90% of my move away from Modern is a larger move away from paper Magic over the last few years due to the sequence of COVID -> LGS re-opens but cedes 60-card Constructed to the other store in town that's further away -> we move further away from both LGSs -> we have a baby. And clearly a lot of people, if they aren't in love with Modern, at least enjoy it enough to roll with its current punches. I'm just not willing to put in the practice or money that present-day Modern demands, and that's OK! But I should probably just stop putting it off and just sell my Modern stuff that isn't currently sleeved up (which is most of it).

I'm actually hoping that Pioneer picks up a little more here, I have Boros Prowess almost built and the BG Midrange deck I enjoyed in late 2019 got a couple of nice shots in the arm with Sheoldred and LotV. Once the kid becomes a little easier to solo I could be convinced to venture out for a local Pio event.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

GoutPatrol posted:

I played magic in paper twice since my child was born and the last time my mind was so broken I played goblins in modern not even remembering how to do the combo. I went 2-1 and that was the last time I touched a card to play, 6 ish months ago.

Coincidentally by not playing alot of magic I feel like I have alot more money for baby stuff

I think the deep dark secret is that I never cared about actually playing Magic as much as the amount of time I spend posting about it and money I've spent on it in the past would indicate. But I think that's quite a few people lol

Like speaking of Yawg, I bought a near-complete paper 75 last year for $400 (was missing Catacombs, which I already owned). I still haven't played it and probably never will at this rate. Sad!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
A fun branching point in the timeline of Magic that I like to think about sometimes is the fact that Blood Moon was put in Eighth Edition because of a fan poll on Wizards' website 20 years ago. Can you guess what other piece of red nonbasic land hate it was up against? That's right, Dwarven Miner lmao

I saw a bit of scuttlebutt on Magic Twitter the other day that Wizards had taken down a bunch of their old articles, I hope these poll results still exist in some public capacity because I'd love to see if anything else that made an impact in Modern made it in off of a vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/march-6-2023-banned-and-restricted-announcement

Expressive Iteration and White Plume Adventurer banned in Legacy, congrats Legacy players (unless you were on Delver or MonoW)