Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
look, how else are you gonna cast jace five times in a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It requires six mana and is disrupted by both Force of Will and Lightning Bolt. I don't see it making waves in Legacy.

Karn looks like Tezzeret-but-better in Vintage though, and if he does see play then there's an argument for devoting a sideboard slot to the lock.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Konstantin posted:

I don't see why, the only new things it gets are Flusterstorm and the UG land. Both are good, but not game changers, especially when the opponent also gets Flusterstorm and the new Force. There will be a lot of judge calls, as this is the first instance I can think of in Modern where a player retaining priority is relevant.

They get a +5 damage 1-mana pump spell.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
In Modern, the chance of a particular sideboard card being in your opening hand is big compared to the chance of it not being in your opener, but you drawing it early enough to matter. So in an objective sense, leylines are quite good at getting on the board early and hindering your opponent, compared to the other cards in the format you could be running.

In Legacy, there's so much cantripping and card selection in the format that it's the other way around - you're more likely to find a particular card during the game than you are to see it in your opening hand. So you want cards that are impactful when you draw them, rather than cards that cost 4 mana and are unplayable.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Also, cantrips don't actually do anything on their own. They just let you use the other cards you've put in your deck more effectively. How your deck actually plays is going to be defined by the other cards you put in your deck.

If someone has Oko in their deck, then a good portion of their games are going to be "Oko games", which are all pretty much the same.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The fact that it shows up on the list at all actually tells you that it's probably not the optimized version of its archetype, in fact it's at least 20 cards different.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
UR Delver might be a real thing if you can run 6 Volcs and not get wasted off all your actual mana sources. But overall I don't think it changes much - the fact that Wasteland exists makes basics actually really good, and fetches are the premier land even in non-blue decks because they can be either basics or duals depending on what the situation calls for.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm hesitant to really jump into Pioneer because the last few formats I enjoyed were just absolutely ruined by Wizards noticing that they were popular and then deciding to print some cards specifically to shake them up. Noticing that pattern has generally got me checking out of Magic entirely.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Yes, but only for +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters specifically. If you have a +1/+1, a -0/-1, and a -1/-0 counter all on the same creature, they all just stay there.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
at last, people can play brainstorm in peace without their virtual card advantage being clobbered by cheap real card advantage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Even if it ends up that a couple of 7-2s do make the cut, the guy who was 7-1 and decided to play the last round to try for a better seed is going to get in on breakers well ahead of someone who's been slumming around the losing bracket.