Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

empathe posted:

Please don't kill Miracles. The issue is bad players / slow toppers, not power level.

Then they should ban top to discourage slow play :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Mef989 posted:

I've been playing a lot of modern merfolk recently and was looking at building the legacy version. I'd probably be playing mostly on MTGO, though there is a small legacy crowd that's beginning to grow in my area so I may translate it into paper. Is it actually any good or am I going to get stomped by more common archtypes like miracles and delver.

Merfolk is actually kinda favorable against miracles.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

suicidesteve posted:

Everyone always says this (they also say it about every deck so :shrug:) and I've never seen it win a game, let alone a match.

I've never dropped a match against miracles either though.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Allstone posted:

For me the stand out stuff is different printings of the same card behaving differently. Like that means the code for giant growth takes 5 times the amount of space as titanic growth which is real silly and a recipe for bad scaling. Like it also means that a lot of effects are hard-coded per card? Which would contribute a lot to their lives being difficult in terms of coding new cards

I imagine they did it that way because of city in a bottle style effects?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

suicidesteve posted:

Those work on all versions of the card.

If this were true it would hit mountains.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Allstone posted:

The oracle text reads 'originally printed'. Mountains were originally printed in Alpha, so they're not affected. Fourth Edition Brass Man was originally printed in Arabian Nights, so it gets hit.

Yes, this is what I'm saying, if it hit all versions of the card it would hit mountains. The card does not function that way, it works in the way you described.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Mezzanon posted:

I have collections of revised and unlimited basics that I use in every deck based on whether I feel like seeing that cute lil sideways T or the word tap.

Best basics.

Same, but Unlimited only.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Anyone in this thread going to Vegas in June? I'm trying to figure out what to play and test beforehand. My three options right now:

ANT
Aluren with Mesmeric Fiend for all the fast combo I expect to pop up with Miracle's demise
This

that last one is what i am leaning towards because it is sweet but i suspect my testing will reveal it to be Very Bad

I'm gonna be there playing the best deck in all formats, burn.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I'm having trouble picking a deck for Vegas,. I had initially planned to play Burn in both Legacy and Modern, but Legacy burn is really bad/hard to win with and I haven't had much luck with it in Modern lately either, so I'm starting to get cold feet. I've got a number of decks available, but most of them are real bad in both formats.

For Modern I've got Burn, Infect, Dredge and Merfolk and for Legacy it's the same list sans Dredge, but I've got no chalices for Merfolk which makes it harder to play.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Oh, I guess I also have Storm for Modern. I've got all the cards for the current build, but I haven't played the deck since it had Probe and was still playing Pyromancer Ascension.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Thanks everyone, this kinda confirmed my thinking as I was leaning toward Infect and Dredge. If anyone going to Vegas wants to hang out, PM me, I'll likely have scrubbed out on both day ones despite your advice :)

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

http://deck.tk/9gi66BCX

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Phyrexian librarian and I were planning on getting drinks after the inevitable day 1 legacy scrub out.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I dropped at 3-4, fun times but I feel like I need more practice. A lot of modern infect experience doesn't really transfer over :/

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

suicidesteve posted:

Shouldn't it say Gitaxian Probe?

Gitaxian probe is a very skill testing interactive card.

Do I go for the freebie or pay full retail? Cast it now, also now, or immediately?

So many decisions.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

eSporks posted:

I don't disagree with the sentiment; however casting git probe later is a real option that not enough people take. Playing GP properly in doomsday was also really tricky since it was an important combo piece on top of being info.

I like that you took my joke post seriously.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Those tokens are awesome.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The effect lasting indefinitely is tempting, wonder how many judge calls that one would get.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Mezzanon posted:

Real talk though does anybody have any experience on Legacy Goblins/Infect?

I have played Legacy infect badly a few times, and will be doing so at GP Seattle.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

What is 4c pil?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Soul Glo posted:

maybe they forgot an "e"

I was hoping it was somehow 4c pili pala and there was a new hole in the meta for jank :(

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Finally put it all together for GP Seattle, it'll be good to play legacy again

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

EvilBeard posted:

You monster

What's really monstrous is the price on foil crop rotations.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

extremely triggered by those berserks. I will post my extremely bad deck later

I bought them when the FTVs were half the price of unlimited berserks, but CN2 hadn't yet come out to bring the overall price down. So I ended up still paying too much for the worst version.
:sad:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Just touched down!

Just left the venue after losing my trial and getting some some dope rear end signatures.

You've got my number, we'll meet up after the scrubout for beers.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

C-Euro posted:

Has anyone tried running Bedlam Reveler and Thing in the Ice together in Modern? Both creatures like it when you cast a lot of instants and sorceries, and Reveler doesn't get bounced by Thing on account of also being a Horror. Running four of each other in UR alongside some Snapcasters might be too many creatures for that type of deck though.

E: Oh I guess this guy did, will have to watch it sometime-
https://youtu.be/hWi5nv3RHJw

When probe was legal this was my thing, but with fewer lands, more Kiln Fiends and TBRs.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I like how literal the art on the ice age fuery justice is, 0 thought went into it but it still looks cool.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Errant Gin Monks posted:

RUG delver resurgence incoming.

I desperately want this to be the case, but it probably isn't :sigh:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Good god hierarch needs a high volume reprint.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I was just referring to the fact that the hierarchs are almost a third of the cost of the deck above, but yes to that as well

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Holy poo poo, I need to ditch the back my back to basics. I bought them for like $5 when I tried to play merfolk in legacy, it went about as well as you can imagine it did.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Errant Gin Monks posted:

How the gently caress is back to basics 100 bucks.

I guess miracles plays it and a lot of basics now, and it is unlikely to be reprinted even though it is not on the reserve list.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Everyone loves goyf reprints, so that decision was incredibly weird to me. They could have just plunked in vengevine instead and no one (or at least fewer people) would have batted an eye.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

so the story here is that known degenerate suicidesteve was playing Solidarity, and I was on UWr helm. In response to me playing a Leyline of Sanctity (my deck has a WHOLE LOT of cards that do not matter even a little bit in this matchup), he starts going off. The stack is Leyline of Sanctity, High Tide, Force on High Tide, High Tide, Force on second High Tide. This loving sicko Cunning Wishes for mindbreak trap, exiling both forces and the Leyline and proceeds to go off.

You should both be locked up for participating in this.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Lost out on top 8 at a legacy 1k by placing 9th with everyone above me ID'ing :sigh:

Edit: infect is still a hell of a lot of fun.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Anyone else going to be playing Modern at GP Portland?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Mox Hombre posted:

never let people put you down for your deck and card choices brother. embrace the uro astrolabe pile idiot within you, like i do. everyone should play exactly what they want and other people should mind their own business

Yeah, people keep asking me why I play infect even when it isn't good in the meta and I have other better choices, but nothing is like the rush of making them have it and the getting to ten anyway.

You just gotta play the deck that is fun for you.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I'm kinda into that even if it does mean using MTGO, I haven't been able to play Legacy in forever.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

It would change legacy in the sense that more people could play it, there would be no downsides.

Edit: it could make wasteland less attractive?

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Smashing Link posted:

Can someone remind me the name of the card that gives 9 poison counters if you are playing with a Companion? I think it costs G or GG.

I don't think this exists, the last card to dole out poison counters was in kaldheim and it cared about creatures with death touch.