Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

AgentSythe posted:

better hope you find those four river of tears to cast your jace

e: if anyone ever wants to play bad decks or bad cards, or wants extremely bad opinions on how to accomplish something in a game of constructed Magic: the gathering, I'm your man
I don't really keep up with new sets, is there any sweet new tech to add to my nic fit doomsday deck? What about porting it to vintage?
Deck: Veteran Explorer Doomsday

//Main
4 Veteran Explorer
1 Wild Dogs
1 Elvish Spirit Guide
1 Tinder Wall
1 Broodmate Dragon
4 Summoner's Pact
4 Dark Ritual
2 Manamorphose
3 Culling the Weak
1 Dryad Arbor
1 Forest
1 Mountain
3 Swamp
4 Verdant Catacombs
2 Wooded Foothills
1 Badlands
1 Bayou
1 Taiga
1 Tendrils of Agony
1 Cruel Bargain
4 Cabal Therapy
2 Doomsday
3 Infernal Tutor
4 Burning Wish
2 Gitaxian Probe
4 Lion's Eye Diamond
1 Lotus Petal
4 Sensei's Divining Top

//Sideboard
1 Empty the Warrens
1 Tendrils of Agony
1 Natural Order
1 Hull Breach
1 Massacre
1 Thoughtseize
1 Dreadbore
1 Tremor
1 Toxic Deluge
1 Infernal Plunge
1 Infernal Tutor
1 Phyrexian Obliterator
1 Obstinate Baloth
1 Vexing Shusher
1 Ruric Thar, the Unbowed

Display deck statistics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

mehall posted:

Okay, this is dope, and I now know what I'm gonna practice on xmage, to see if I wanna build.
Love me some Doomsday.
It's not good, but its really fun. It has some the wackiest lines and and attacks from so many angles that your opponent has no idea whats going on. Turn 1 natural orders are a lot more common than storm kills.

AgentSythe posted:

You already have the hot Wild Dogs technology to make sure you can turn on your culling the weak/other sac cards and isn't just dead in your hand if you already have enough mana.
Wild dogs != Wild Mongrel. Dogs is there to be a cantrip you can pact for, good for getting into doomsday piles.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 6, 2016

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

AgentSythe posted:

??????

I didn't say wild mongrel

i said it's not dead in your hand (the cycling) which can be used with pact also, and you can culling the weak/cruel bargain/cabal therapy it in pinch
I completely misread what you said and I thought you were talking about discarding dead cards to wild mongrel.

I do think my faorite part of that deck is just being a storm deck with a way to flashback therapy.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Maybe this post belongs in the main MTG thread, but I don't read that one. While watching VSL they were talking about the risk of running "off color" moxes in eldrazi decks. Wizards swears that eldrazi mana is not a 6th a color, but when you start weighing the costs of off color moxen it absolutely is. After seeing these eldrazi decks play out for a while, they definitely do run into mana problems, they do get blown out by bloodmoon. It functionally plays exactly as a 6th color would. So wizards line about it not being a 6th color is BS.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Elyv posted:

I really hate the Eldrazi white manabase, it looks absolutely awful. They usually run 6 plains/karakas, 1 mox pearl, 1 black lotus, and 4 cavern for white sources with often 3+ creatures with nonoverlapping creature types(some combination of Thalia, Wingmare, Displacer, Stoneforge) and then they have cards like Rest in Peace or Disenchant in their sideboard and somehow they expect to cast all these spells. If I was playing that deck the first thing I would go would be cut 3 moxen/caverns/cities for 3 white sources. They can be plains, they can be Brushlands (if you're worried about colorless sources), they can be something else entirely, I don't care. I just don't understand how anyone can look at that manabase and go "hmm, yes, this is correct".
Yea, that decks mana is atrocious. It's a 2 color deck with no fetch lands. This is exactly what I mean, wizards takes the firm stance than eldrazi mana was not a 6th color, and some techno babble about how the mechanic has always existed and is nothing new. Then you see the constraints it puts on play and deck building, and it absolutely is a 6th color.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Can wizards please make a playable red planes-walker with a + ability other than loot?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

Legacy playable? Sounds dubious.
I'd settle for any format really. I think the last one we had was koth right?

Ok, I guess its not as bad I thought, but 1/4 red planeswalkers have a loot ability.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 12, 2016

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Looks like its time for dredge or 12 post.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

If you guys missed the finals of GP Prague, its worth watching. Link to Game 3 here Its miracles vs Storm
Miracles player is holding force, force, flusterstorm, flusterstorm, surgical extraction, snap caster, blue card, and has a top in play. Storm player manages to win.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

mcmagic posted:

That guy was one of the better storm players I've seen. A well deserved win.
For sure, even game one was really sweet. He baited on a counterspell on an Infernal Tutor when he was floating PIF on top. Even if miracles chose correctly and countered the PIF instead of the Infernal Tutor, he was set up to win the following turn. That guy was just incredible at playing to his outs and he found some incredible lines only by knowing exactly what he needed to do.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Faeries was my deck, looks like its time to load up mtgo again.

C-Euro posted:

I'm not doing poo poo in Pauper but I really should because my store does a Pauper FNM once a month and it's a fuckload cheaper to get into than everything else. I'm halfway to an Izzet Blitz deck except people are telling me it's bad? I also have a bunch of Pauper-eligible Goblins and could maybe come up with a list that uses them but I've been too lazy.
Are they using mtgo rules, or paper rules? If its paper rules play high tide.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Razzled posted:

I'm super bummed that my little tier 2 modern deck somehow marauded it's way into a PTQ crushing deck that managed to get itself banned not 6 months after I bought all the pieces...

Is there anything similar I can salvage as much as possible from my Amulet Bloom deck into?

Maybe scapeshift or some sort of Valakut deck?
Quit playing modern. This happened to me 3 times before I realized that.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

So is Dredge in Modern a real deck now or is it overhyped nonsense?
To answer question ask yourself WWTWOOD, what would Travis Woo do. If he says yes, the answer is no.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

AgentSythe posted:

so does anyone in here watch Rich Shay stream, or the VSL? I'm putting together Landstill independently, but he's been doing well with a version that has New Emrakul in it. I'm curious if anyone has seen how those games play out, and if that card is better than a consecrated sphinx or any of the other big blue finishers. it seems really bad without having watched the games, and really hard to cast without an academy+requisite artifact count.

i guess with a standstill out and both players just kind of staring at each other you might build up to enough mana to cast the thing
I don't really have any real advice for you, but Spirits is the new hot deck. Build that. Man I can't wait for tomorrow.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

It was a staple for a time, but so was kheldon mauraders. Too many other options outclass it these days, and the whole format has gotten faster along with having sources of life gain like deathrite shaman. Going long doesn't fit into burns plan anymore.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I always hated shusher vs miracles. They almost always leave in path and maybe terminus in since burn is so creature heavy now.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Pontius Pilate posted:

Also vintage storm lists are hilarious.
Just jam all the restricted cards, then add dark ritual and lands.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

ETM had a controversial judge ruling on a chalice.

Player a casts chalice on 1.
Player a casts pithing needle. It resolves.
Passes turn to player b.
Player b untaps and notices the missed the chalice trigger.

The judge ruled the pithing needle stays in play. Current procedure dictates that a missed trigger gets added to the stack at the moment it was missed. In this case, the missed chalice trigger goes on the stack, but pithing needle is already in play and therefore there is nothing to counter.

I agree that it was handled by the book, but It seems like everyone agrees that re-winding in this specific case would have been a much better solution.

I wonder if we could add a little discretion for these situations. Perhaps allowing the game state to be re-wound if both players and the judge agree to do it. Of course this opens up the possibility for player a to rule scum his opponent and not allow the re-wind. It jus seems impossible to have a ruleset that will always find the correct option, so I feel there should be some avenue to customize the option for the specific setting.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Intentionally playing into your own chalice is cheating in a way that playing into an opponent's is not.

The guy just brain farted though, he wanted to play needle and chalice that turn, then decided to play chalice first to play around daze.

The next turn with the warping wail seems an honest mistake too. How often does your chalice on 1 get proliferated? Both players were probably still tilting from the lengthy judge ruling. He was a good sport about it, sac'ing the token.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The guy that played into his chalice did get a GRV, and a second when he did it again.

The controversy was just over allowing the needle to stay in play instead of rewinding.

It also ended up being completely irrelevant to that game.

The judge was also saying they are trying to address all missed triggers in the same manner, giving the opponent the option of putting them on the stack as soon as they are noticed. They are trying to get away from distinguishing from beneficial and negative because with cards like Bob it's unclear.

Chalice just happens to be an edge case where this resolution does nothing. I get the judges reasoning, but there still has to be a better way. Newer cards are templated to avoid things like that, I'd be curious about doing some errata to fix it.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 31, 2016

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The players were good sports in both rulings too. The judge advice guy admitted he wouldn't have seen the line without the judge saying anything and just decided to get an instant an instead. He even scooped to rich after turns since it was clear rich would win, and the main reason they went to time was his inexperienced sloppy play.
No one should ever be forced to concede in that situation but it's still very respectful to do so.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Printing Paradoxical Outcome was a mistake, the deck is just way too good. I think Wizards needs to ban or restrict Gleemox to keep it in check. https://clips.twitch.tv/richshay/StrangeTigerBibleThump

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

mcmagic posted:

No it's not. It's not more than a 1 of any other decent deck.
You take that back buddy. Doomsday will be referred to as nothing less than "The Best Deck", this is followed closely by Nic-Fit.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Star Man posted:

No, the truest statement in this thread is:

And you carry out those player bannings with a shotgun.
Ban all cards excluding doomsday, swamp, and dark ritual.

For actual content VSL apparently started on the 3rd and I missed it.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I have a theory that people who play Modern gravitate to whatever their first formative Standard deck was. That's my only explanation for why I want to play that deck, INN/RTR was just after when I got back into the game, and Sphinx's Revelation/Nephalia Drownyard control was my weapon of choice.
My formative standard deck was Runeflare trap, but I have never even considered playing the time warp deck. I did play a ton of storm in modern though, so at least the colors were the same. I tried to make runeflare trap work, but the format is too fast for it.
I am also convinced to this day that Runeflare trap was the best deck in ALA/ZEN standard. It has exceptional winrates vs Jund and U/W control. It was just a massive dog to vampires and RDW.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

C-Euro posted:

I can't even tell what the combo actually is here. Repeated triggers of Door?
The deck is the combo. And the sideboard. Its a 75 card combo.

Can we please see this on SCG with Sully/Cedric/Matthias doing commentary. Who am I kidding SCG never streams legacy anymore.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

EvilBeard posted:

I don't know why you'd want to Root Maze when you could just play an Eternal Witness (or Primal Command for an Eternal Witness bouncing another land), and then rinse repeat while watching your opponent die inside.
This was my favorite thing about that nykthos genesis wave deck. Primal command is such a rage inducing card.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

If I weren't on my phone I'd post my rediculous NIC fit storm deck. Turn 1 ruric thar is one of the funniest things you can do in legacy.

Edit:

Deck: Veteran Explorer Doomsday

//Main
4 Veteran Explorer
1 Wild Dogs
1 Elvish Spirit Guide
1 Tinder Wall
1 Broodmate Dragon
4 Summoner's Pact
4 Dark Ritual
2 Manamorphose
3 Culling the Weak
1 Dryad Arbor
1 Forest
1 Mountain
3 Swamp
4 Verdant Catacombs
2 Wooded Foothills
1 Badlands
1 Bayou
1 Taiga
1 Tendrils of Agony
1 Cruel Bargain
4 Cabal Therapy
2 Doomsday
3 Infernal Tutor
4 Burning Wish
2 Gitaxian Probe
4 Lion's Eye Diamond
1 Lotus Petal
4 Sensei's Divining Top

//Sideboard
1 Empty the Warrens
1 Tendrils of Agony
1 Natural Order
1 Hull Breach
1 Massacre
1 Thoughtseize
1 Dreadbore
1 Tremor
1 Toxic Deluge
1 Infernal Plunge
1 Infernal Tutor
1 Phyrexian Obliterator
1 Obstinate Baloth
1 Vexing Shusher
1 Ruric Thar, the Unbowed

Display deck statistics.

Think I need to add a crop rotation and cavern of souls.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 4, 2017

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

C-Euro posted:

This deck confuses me and fills me with a sense of dread. But I do love a good wishboard, I wish (:downsrim:) they were legal in Modern but they'd probably be too good, or at least make combo decks better than Wizards probably wants them to be.
Its got infinite lines. Its not good, but its fun. It makes ridiculous amounts of mana, finding a way to win that mana is the though part.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

There's surgical extraction...

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

as always, doomsday

non-comedy answer: Shardless BUG is basically blue jund and one of the easier decks to play since all of your cards powerful and efficient. i mean the problem with legacy is that you just need to jam games of it and get experience.
Doomsday is not a joke man, its what I'll be playing. I need to check and see if there is any new tech for it.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

agreed, the joke was suggesting it to a brand new legacy player

e: i'd play it except that I really want to jam some games with Walking Ballista Food Chain
Whats wrong with suggesting fun? I migrated from burn straight to doomsday.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

It's not even close to what you want, but maybe look at Jaco drazi?

It's got discard like disruption in thought knot seer, and undercoated aggro rush creatures.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Nissa Nic Fit, make it happen.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Gnumonic posted:

I'm not gonna piss and moan about it, but Doomsday was the only thing keeping me playing MTG, and after having every. single. modern deck I thought was kind of neat end up banned, I think WoTC and I just have different ideas of fun. Time to part ways.

Anyone have any tips for selling off a collection? Tcgplayer/Ebay still the way to go?
I'm feeling very the same. I sold out of paper a while ago, and was just about to buy into doomsday on MTGO. Its the only magic deck I enjoy enough to devote money to any more. I sold my collection on SA Mart. Some goon bought the whole thing for roughly 5% below TCG low. Pretty hassle free.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Well for starters, Doomsday seems like exactly the kind of deck that doesn't rely on a single card to operate, so I'm sure you'll be fine if you stick with it.

If you're committed, though, at least take it to the Buy/Sell thread first. TCGPlayer/eBay are good if you're willing to put the time into selling singles, if you just want it gone try to find a big SCG/GP event in your area.
SDT was hugely important to that deck. Aside from just filtering. It let you have a permanent draw source to get into piles with. It let you cast things with LED. It turned chain of vapor into a 1U removal spell that cantrips. It added 1-2 extra storm to common piles. It was arguably as important to Doomsday as it was to Miracles, both decks certainly made full use of it beyond draw fixing.

Gnumonic posted:

Legacy Doomsday requires SDT to function. I'm saying that as someone who has played the deck thousands of times online and goldfished it for hundreds of hours in person. The Stormboards is basically in farewell/reminiscence mode at the moment, and if those guys are giving up then you can be sure the deck is dead.

Thanks for the tip about SCG/GPs though. I'll hit up the next one that's close and clear everything out.
Yea, I've been reading stormboards, its a bit depressing. A couple guys are going to stick with it. One guy is trying bauble and second sunrise which just sounds like good fun. If Doomsday is still alive after this I think its as a blue control deck with combo finish. I don't see a fast version competing with ANT any more.
On the bright side, its worst match-up is gone and you don't need green for abrupt decay any more.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You know with that shadow of the grave card doomsday may actually be playable. Have a good hand, cast this thing and crack an LED in response you discard your hand, get the mana, get everything back, play Doomsday and make the stack with cards in hand.
Eh, I'm not quite seeing, its completely dead without LED might as well be on infernal tutor and normal storm at that point. Doomsday itself can also grab cards from the yard for you.

Some people are trying out three wishes as way to cast things off LED.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Chamale posted:

I came up with a Breakfast Burrito variant that kills the opponent by forcing them to concede or time out on MTGO.
:golfclap:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Whats a bav player?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Cactrot posted:

Gitaxian probe is a very skill testing interactive card.

Do I go for the freebie or pay full retail? Cast it now, also now, or immediately?

So many decisions.

I don't disagree with the sentiment; however casting git probe later is a real option that not enough people take. Playing GP properly in doomsday was also really tricky since it was an important combo piece on top of being info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Cactrot posted:

I like that you took my joke post seriously.
Good humor has a basis in truth.