Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

eSporks posted:

Quit playing modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

C-Euro posted:

I have even more of this list :lol: And I do copy a ton of decks from goons, but I never copied this one. Thanks, maybe I'll give it a shot in the near future.

To jump in on the tokens talk, here's my list I've been using for a while to pretty decent success: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/404048#paper

Basically, you scoop to Dredge game 1 and mulligan aggressively into a Leyline. Tron's not that bad a matchup actually, at least from my experience....just gently caress that one guy at the Open who got a turn 3 Ugin on me (natural tron in opener, plus Gemstone Caverns and a redundant Mine to pitch to it...bastard).

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I'm considering finally moving off of Elves for that same reason. While I've always played green toolbox decks (first standard was Junk Reanimator before it got popular, same with Melira Pod for about 3 years until the ban, Junk Aristocrats....), I feel like lately I've been just having a lot of feelbad draws.

A lot of times I have a lot of options and a big decision tree. Do I go for the kill or play it safe and just hold up the ability to bounce my Reclamation Sage in case you slam Jitte? Do I try to draw one more 1-drop elf to keep going off with Glimpse, or do I fetch up a Shaman of the Pack for value and hope normal combat going wide is enough?

I can't decide if it's the meta, the deck, or just my usual lovely variance, but recently I've had a lot of games where I just whiff constantly or feel completely helpless and just hoping, like you said, to topdeck something very specific or lose. I'll try going off on 4 with double Glimpse and 2x 1-drops in hand, active DRS and Heritage Druid.....both 1-drops draw me 2 lands each and I'm stopped dead, and now I'm basically hoping DRS is enough to win the game on his own, I really need to draw a good 3-5 cards to try again from such a useless hand.

When the deck is good, it's REALLY good, and rewards knowing your deck extremely well and punishes your opponent for not (exactly what I loved about Melira Pod). I had some games I'll never forget at the Orlando Open last month.....but I had way more lovely games where I sat there like a slug with a few 1/1s.

I guess it's a situation where it's a little hard to ride out the variance. Your topdecks aren't super powerful without support. Heritage Druid is the most powerful card in the deck, but it feels really bad to draw after things fell apart and you really needed a GSZ/Rec Sage to get out from under a Jitte lock. If you go for it and somehow whiff, unless you have a Scooze or something to buy time, you're dead.

I still think Legacy is a format where you're far better off sticking with what you know....you'll do way better with a T2 deck you've been tuning and piloting for years than you will with the T1 flavor of the month. But after 2 years, I may finally be hanging up my Cradles and looking around at other options.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Maybe because I'm running more walkers or something? I'm not sure why but I haven't struggled with it, it's just Ugin that's unbeatable.I can usually take out a Karn easily if they minus it (what are they really exiling that's backbreaking), and if they plus I usually have enough on board to just ignore it and kill my opponent instead. As long as you have Path for Wurmcoil you're fine (also Thoughtseize helps), and they don't seem to be running nearly as many Oblivion Stone as they used to.

Games 2-3 just mulligan aggressively to a Stony Silence or insanely aggressive hand.

Maybe I'm just getting good draws. It isn't a GREAT matchup, I'm not happy to see it come down across from me, but I don't auto-scoop to it.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Sixfools posted:

How do you find ghost council? I have not used him since he was standard.

Here is what I use currently ET is huge and im going to move her up to 3 possibly.

There was a BW list that placed well a couple weeks ago that had lillies MB and 4xAslyum Visitor in the SB. Ive contemplated using it as a substitute for Bob before.

There are also some fun RWB token lists out there that look pretty fun to play.

He's amazing. I ran into a lot of control, particularly Jeskai, and he's perfect for that. He's also a fun surprise, as there are no actual creatures in the main, so most opponents side out any one-for-one targeted removal thinking path is pretty bad against Spectral Procession. You can sort of sideboard out of going wide and go bigger with him and Hero of Bladehold. I've found it gives you more flexibility after board if your matchup is bad and/or you know how they're going to sideboard against you in a way that favors bringing in more creatures.

I have been considering adding Liliana, but mostly haven't because I only have 1 right now. I really like the combo of Gideon and Sorin, though.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

This is a legit opinion, even if I loving loathe that name.

I've been running this online for two months or so: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/491719#paper.

I keep going 4-1 in competitive leagues, I always have to mulligan into oblivion in game 3 of the final round :negative:

One of my favorite wins was last night...

What I don't get is they saw a turn 2 BM game 1 that just got an immediate concession......why would you risk that when I had no threats down? What was the rush?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

nice. I've been playing a version with Eldritch Evolutions for magus and other shenanigans. also playing the Madcap Experiments + Platinum Emperion plan out of the board

Hmmm, that is a nice sideboard option against burn..... I just don't know that I'd want to cut the additional creature package (for things like Tron where I just cut all my burn and clog the board).

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Nope. The best feeling was killing 3 of the fuckers in Modern with a Primal Command. Turns out it says "target player" in front of "gains 7 life". They were only 4/4s, drew more creatures than spells I guess, so he couldn't even fetch and shock to save them.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

suicidesteve posted:

I play Blue Tron.

You are just the worst kind of person.

But I assume you're at least competent with the deck. The thing that drives me nuts about it on MTGO lately, I've done things like win "through a Mindslaver loop" ....my opponent couldn't actually figure out how to close the loop with sequencing, so I got to take a turn every other turn. Plus they were incredibly slow and made bad choices (you can't really do a fuckton of damage with Mindslaver effects against mono black when it's late game and I'm empty-handed, he was better off constantly recurring his Wurmcoil Engine and overwhelming me with the tokens).

I'll take the win, but I will never get that hour of my life back (same reason I despised eggs and currently want to set fire to anyone playing Lantern).

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Pretty much. End step, too. He would always be careful to leave up Academy Ruins and blue mana, but then would never use it. There were a few occasions where I was able to disrupt him but he could have recovered far more quickly than he did had he just activated Ruins in his upkeep or something.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The March Hare posted:

PSA: Please keep bringing surgical in against lands.

I mean, is that really a bad idea? It doesn't break the deck like, say, snagging a Tron piece in Modern, but nabbing recurring stuff like Punishing Fire or Loam seems good.

It depends on what he cut, I guess, you might just have even less useful cards. I feel like siding our your FOW and/or daze here is solid (you need to be fast, not reactive), though I'm seeing those in the graveyard so who the gently caress knows.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Tim Raines IRL posted:

thanks a lot for the long analysis and thoughts, that is interesting.

I think I've got about 2K in e-cards. Perhaps I will at least cash out stuff that I am not playing with constantly.

I agree, and have always thought that a lot of the most vocal criticism of MTGO comes from people who do not understand the difficulty and complexity of implementing something like Magic in code.

On the other hand, XMage works nearly as well as MTGO as far as game & card logic resolution goes -- and that's a pet project that doesn't, as far as I know, make any money.

I'm in the same boat, around 2k in my digital collection....I have a Legacy deck, 2 Modern, and a Standard together on there, plus assorted Fetchlands and stuff from past decks (goal was to eventually just have all the staples, especially manabase, and be able to be more adaptable to meta changes). I've sold out of the game twice over the last few years, both times to fund cross-country moves, and both times bought back in eventually (in the interim, I just popped in whenever cube was around).

As a programmer, I'll pile onto the sentiment that critics of MTGO are generally really ignorant of just how complex the system has to be. Any time outrage begins with "can't you just..." it's time to tune out as a developer, as these people think computers are magic and can do anything.

But like you said, XMage works. I think the big problem, especially after seeing their job postings somewhat recently, is they are stuck on horrific choices of technologies for this thing. It wasn't designed with this level of complexity and longevity in mind, and they just keep stacking more and more cards on top of the existing house. We saw back with the "oh poo poo big events don't work anymore" debacle that at some point you can't just keep putting band-aids on bullet wounds, you need to shut down and rethink your design. Unfortunately, they weren't willing to take that to its logical conclusion and instead just upgraded to a pressure dressing and gutted the scheduled events and got rid of dailies entirely.

It's a shortsighted but inevitable policy to see this and think it's not worth the investment to redesign. There's no immediate tangible benefit, but that's only if you're thinking about your bottom line for your department at the next quarterly or annual review. More long-term, the savings in terms of maintenance and potential lost revenue from glitches and down-time is huge.....it's exactly why at my company right now we're rebuilding our flagship product from scratch. It wasn't designed to scale this large, it's slow, it's bloated, and it keeps crashing and glitching and going down at inconvenient times. It's more expensive short-term to spend 6 months rebuilding it, and people are a little annoyed when we tell them, "Sorry, we won't be fixing that bug you reported, we're rebuilding the whole thing and that's wasted effort that just slows down the replacement." But 2-3 years from now, we reach the crossover point where we spent less time and money rebuilding than we would have trying to bail water for that same time period.

I hope their new management in digital will depart from that way of thinking, but I doubt it. It's a huge issue anywhere you have technology in an isolated branch of a more traditional company. They try to run digital products the same way they run everything else, and refuse to adapt their model to accommodate a completely different paradigm (see also: music and movie industries' refusal to adapt to digital distribution). But the root of the problem is that they expect all line items to correspond to a demonstrable ROI, which is virtually impossible in digital products, especially when the expense in question is maintenance. It's very hard to say rebuilding an already "working" system resulted directly in $XXX,XXX in generated revenue, or directly prevented what would have been ### customers leaving, when that expense's real purpose is just to prevent further expenses and problems in some vague future.

I work in nonprofit now, and I've worked in corporate.....proposal meetings are loving awful for those reasons and more. It always comes down to, "You can't tell me a precise ROI on this maintenance project? Sounds fishy. Research it more and try again when you have hard numbers." And I'd be willing to bet quite a bit that that's exactly how the management at WOTC/Hasbro has been thinking.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

evilweasel posted:

Hell, if they ported MTGO to work in a browser, that would be huge and solve the mac issue as part of it.

It's also way easier to maintain. Managing a front-end with javascript and poo poo is so much simpler than coding installable GUI clients.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

little munchkin posted:

Yea I don't envy the programming team, they built an incredibly complex system of rules and constantly have to implement cards that add new rules while breaking some of the old ones. That's a recipie for spaghetti and they don't have time to clean or ix anything because they have to do it all over again every 3 months.

That said, I was getting an error today that would not let me add new cards to my trade binder. Upon inspection, it was because I had 59,999 copies of some random common from 10 years ago in my "want" list. As a programmer myself, that's not something that should happen on it's own.

That's why I advocate rebuilding. There are newer technologies that make it much easier to build a system like this (as a side project I've been tinkering with how I'd design a new rules engine). Rules are complicated, but in a sane, modular design there shouldn't be cards breaking in a flashback draft that worked 3 years ago just fine.

That error is hosed up, though. Sounds like someone broke a loop somewhere. Also probably referencing binders by an index so they can gently caress up where things get added, otherwise why would it ever interact with that binder.

I think their developers could make this thing great....just a matter of management allowing it.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I've won a nonzero number of cube games to my opponent doing that.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Tim Raines IRL posted:

great, now not only do I have to lose to Miracles, I have to deal with 25% of their cards being this yugioh bullshit

This is 90% of the reason I want to play these versions. To tilt other players who hate them.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
As a former Miracles player, I'm surprised it took this long. I think it'll be nice to not have to wait 20 minutes after each round for the guy who built Miracles last week to get that 1-0-1 win. I don't have a problem with the deck in a vacuum, but I do have a problem with it being top dog meaning a lot of players jump on the bandwagon and have no idea how to pilot it efficiently.

Part of that's on judges for allowing so much slow play. At GP Orlando I saw a lot of rounds in my side events where people would play quickly in their third game suddenly, but the second time is called they both breathe a sigh of relief and settle in for 15 minutes of durdling.

Full disclosure, though; I play Elves, so this is loving awesome for my deck. I was actually contemplating taking it apart and unloading my Cradles if there wasn't a shake-up soon.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
In a week that's been full of nothing but wall to wall poo poo related to MTG, that made my night.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I crossed the 2/3 foiled out mark on my Cube this week. I'd say I'll turn it into a downpayment on a house one day, but even if I sold out of this game, you know I'd keep this stupid thing.

In other news, I got scammed on a re-backed lotus, hence my post in the trade thread looking for other power. Thank loving christ for paypal's buyer protection, though; this is why you don't send poo poo F&F.

I already lined up a replacement though. Buying a minty one from Chris VanMeter of all people. He's a really chill dude, happy to wait for my refund from this debacle to resolve.

Mezzanon posted:

This year I turned legacy staples into becoming debt free. I know how good that feels man, congrats!

Three years ago I unexpectedly lost my job after moving across the country. I made it 8 months by selling a Legacy deck and two Modern decks.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 10, 2017

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Voyager I posted:

There are plenty of generic midrange value cards that will haze you for tapping out for a Jace in a format where countermagic costs mana.

Which is why no one's going to be tapping out on turn 4 to play a Jace, they just wait until turn 6 when they can hold up a Mana Leak, Remand, Spell Pierce....

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

suicidesteve posted:

The kind where it's impossible to get 4 people together to do a stupid cube, never mind 8.

In hindsight, pimping my cube this hard was perhaps a mistake. The number of people I trust to play it was narrowed by that choice, and it was already hard enough to try to find 8.

We've done a lot of 4 player, and it works well enough.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I'm pumped to play a ton of Legacy in Atlanta this weekend :black101:

I never get to play around here anymore, the one store that stole all of the Legacy players (thanks to allowing proxies) is run by this Libertarian dipshit I refuse to give my business to :smith:. The upside is that the less savory side of the local magic community here naturally gravitates to that guy, so by avoiding his store I rarely have to deal with MRAs and racists, the community at my regular store has been filtered rather nicely.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The March Hare posted:

Yep, not poor legacy guy who owns elves and pimped out lands here to confirm I wish every card dropped to a dollar over night.

:same:

Most of my "investments" would survive reprints and abolishing the reserve list, especially if they keep reprinting everything with awful CGI "art". I'd take a hit to value if it meant I got to play this format at more than just GPs.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Star Man posted:

It's not art if pixels were used to make it.

It can be. I've seen a few done really well and I have tried and failed to do it myself for my proxy stuff.

But if WOTC bought it, yeah it's garbage.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Archenteron posted:

Chalice of Life//Death

I love that I'm not the only one who plays this card for some reason.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Archenteron posted:

More pridemate triggers on command, turns on faster and provides a nice incremental clock compared to Aetherflux, and loss of life means funny interactions with worship, Angels Grace, etc

Rally seems spicy, I didn't think Mesa was in Modern and is worth considering. Rally wouldn't be bad but I'm leery about fivedrops, and Genesis Chamber makes Confusion a godawful clusterfuck.

So all in all, some good ideas already, thanks!

I love Chalice in my Oloro EDH deck, and it was stupid for the 5 minutes I played Sisters myself. I also just inexplicably love that card and Elbrus, the Binding Blade.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
My land destruction is probably 60/40 with storm, mostly game 1 is awkward. 4 out of 5 times a game 1 turn 2 blood moon and removing their Baral/Electromancer is just game, but it all depends on their draws. With my luck, they just always draw all 4 Manamorphose in the top 15 of their deck and win anyway.

After board I just bring in Grafdigger's Cages. As long as I can keep their cost-reduction creatures clear (not hard to do with Bolts and Bonfires), they generally can't go off without Past in Flames. If I lose game 1, though, game 3 I need to aggressively mulligan to a turn 1 Cage or I guarantee I'm dead, since I can't get ahead of their curve with blowing up lands. Hooray for the sideboard roulette format!

It feels like it's in the same place WOTC was with Dredge a while ago. They wanted to ban it out of dominance, but didn't want to actually ban a card with the word dredge on it. They keep taking storm's rituals or whatever, but also keep printing more cantrips and things like Baral, so it's a wash. Even though you could beat Pod with sideboard hosers, that ate a ban, so I'm not really sure why storm continues to get a pass.

Even when I crush it, it's not a fun deck to play against (and I can't see how it's fun to play solitaire). Either way, it feels like one player is always sitting there not playing magic, which doesn't make for particularly interesting games to me.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Yeah if it isn't clear I loving hate Modern and make no apologies for playing a troll deck. I'm just as bad as anyone who plays storm.

I honestly just have it together in case it's all that launches at an FNM (which is pretty often, lately). I wish there was a Legacy community around here :(

I've been having a lot of fun with Vintage on MTGO, though. I mostly just rock Cube drafts when I can get the people together.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

C-Euro posted:

Confession: I am building Ponza (and I'm almost done with it!)

Protip: Play a full playset of Stormbreath Dragon. loving all star right now. Inferno Titan sucks.

My list if you wanted to take a look: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/491719#paper

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I honestly haven't played her enough yet to say. I'd say you can survive just fine without her, I did for the longest time, though she gets so much play outside Standard already I don't know how cheap she'll be long-term.

Those sideboard slots used to be a pair of Sudden Shock to deal with Infect and Affinity, but online I think they're actually Shatterstorms right now because the latter is rampant on there.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

suicidesteve posted:

Turns out Reanimator is REALLY bad against Death and Taxes and Miracles is just bad.

First round of Legacy at GP Atlanta my Reanimator opponent had what's usually a god hand: Chancellor reveal, Unmask exiling an Animate Dead to take my Swords to Plowshares, land, Dark Ritual, Entomb, Exhume. At first I was like, "Yay, I got to play so much Magic, that was fun," but Karakas off the top? Same problem Lands has with their combo, we can deal with their big flashy poo poo without even spending a card.

She punted hard, though. Seeing my hand was all little white creatures, she Entombed Elesh Norn. No matter what she chose, I bounce with Karakas, but if she had gotten Griselbrand or Sire of Insanity, she could have gotten some kind of value.

She was pretty pissed at the time, but we bumped into each other the next day and did a pretty decent-sized trade.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Yeah it's usually a pretty open and shut game on one side of the table or the other, and Karakas is just unbeatable if they don't have Wastelands to deal with it.

On the other hand, my round 3 mirror match was absolute insanity and really rewarded good play. Game 2 I was stuck on 2 land and he exiled my Vial, and he even had a Port so I was really out of it. It was actually a crazy back and forth that I was eventually able to pull out of at 3 life and win.

My opponent was super pissed but had made a few misplays I think, most notably naming Mother of Runes on a Council's Judgment when there was a Sword of War and Peace sitting on the battlefield. It took another 5 turns, but when I finally got to equip that on a Thalia it was just game over; he can chump block with a Revoker or find a Jitte or another Judgment, otherwise pro-white leaves him zero ways to interact so why waste the ONE way you had to remove the equipment?

I thought it was a really good game, though :shrug: (if a bit tedious, especially coming off playing against a Pox/Abyss deck....another surprisingly good set of games).

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Aston posted:

The D&T mirror is great.

It's really loving tedious, but I do think they're really challenging and often reward really tight play more than a lot of other mirror matches you could get. Sometimes variance is a bitch, but while I dread them, I think they're really skill-testing.

They're REALLY miserable when your opponent just bought the deck and has no idea what they're doing and tanks for 2 minutes every turn. Miracles had/has the same problem. But if you both play quickly it's not too bad.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
:same:

I still dread it because it takes forever and also need to be at the top of my game, but I think it's a really skill-testing matchup for both players and a lot of the really great matches I remember from Atlanta were mirrors. It's why I'm loving Vintage right now; except for Dredge, I feel like every game really requires me to focus and play my hardest.

I also might be biased because my record with the mirror that weekend was like 4-1 or something nuts like that. Like you said, it's a dance, deploying threats you don't mind using to bait out Judgments and stuff, and a lot of my opponents just played it straight and dumped their hands, dropped their Ports into early Wastelands, etc. It's really tricky and the game is decided by the most minute decisions. That game I mentioned earlier was 100% decided by my opponent choosing to exile a Mom instead of a Sword.

loving all-star in my list, though, is my one-of Palace Jailer. That dude has done more work than anyone else.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

suicidesteve posted:

I don't even own Force of Wills anymore: smuggo:

Mine sit in the binder looking pretty but unused, just for people like Johnny Five-Jaces.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Vital Signs posted:

I have always thought of company decks as decks that can have a lot of variance, especially with your one ofs.

Yeah it felt like they were imitating pod decks in that way, except pod + Chord meant that could reliably tutor for any singleton creature. I'd have to do the math, way too early for that, but I feel like a one-of creature is only going to appear in 1/2 of your games if you hit all 4 CoCo (so more realistically less than 1/4 of your games).

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I just took what I already had and jammed in some BBEs and tweaked my creatures (as I expected to, I saw an uptick in aggro so need to drop the curve a little and add more early lifegain).

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/939158#paper

Huntmaster is pretty dope right now with this bizarre Flameblade Adept nonsense flying around, when you need that second blocker on turn 2-3 and the wolf token saves your rear end.

Still, there's nothing like turn 1 Arbor Elf, opponent plays a Colonnade or some other tapped land, turn 2 land, Utopia Sprawl, BBE cascade into Blood Moon.

Side note: Despise the word "Ponza" with every fiber of my being. I have no idea why, it's just the stupidest nonsensical name for a deck.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
You'd be surprised. Turn 2 or 3 Cascading into another Utopia Sprawl or Birds to let me play 2 spells the next turn or go Monstrous with Stormbreath sooner isn't the worst thing in the world.

It's not the most broken thing you can be doing with BBE, but it upped the consistency of finding my mana denial cards for sure. Plus, I've already faced down two JTMS, and both times they dropped him on an empty board and thought it was safe to Brainstorm. So nice to sneak in a haste threat after they tap out instead of inevitably getting my dragons hit with Cryptics.

Working on Jund, though, and BBE into Blightning is what I want to be doing there.

EDIT: No, I'm still running 3 Stormbreath. I cut Thundermaw, though he could come back if I see a ton of Linging Souls (I haven't seen a single copy of that in weeks).

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Archenteron posted:

What the gently caress how did I forget about this.

I did the same thing recently. I'm running an incredibly fun Birthing Pod deck in Legacy, and the list I based it on had no 6-mana creatures, just 5, 7, and 8 (Griselbrand). I was always stuck with a Thragtusk sitting there like a chump, or I'd never find my Myr Enforcer, but I couldn't Pod up to it.

6CMC was easy, Wurmcoil Engine is kicking some rear end because it leaves behind dudes when he gets sacrificed. It took me longer than I care to admit to think of what a better 7 mana artifact creature might be to go alongside Enforcer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

C-Euro posted:

It's not the same thing but one of the budget Modern decklists on MTGGoldfish is a BW Vampires list trying to kill people with Blood Artist-like effects and Rally the Ancestors. It's a few years old and doesn't account for any of the new Ixalan vampires so maybe check that out?

I was playing a really fun Junk Aristocrats deck for a while because I missed that from RTR/ISD standard so much. All 1-2 mana creatures + Flip Lily + Return to the Ranks. It was surprisingly consistent and really fun to play, not least because your opponent has zero idea what's going on. It would be budget if the mana base wasn't so bad, as 3-color usually is.

I will always remember the first round of a PPTQ I took it to, sat down across from an insufferable ultra-Spike with a fully foiled out Jund deck. Turn 1 Tukatongue Thallid, pass.....opponent just stares, takes my card without asking to read it (hate that), throws it back down and says out loud, "What the gently caress...". Absolutely crushed him, turns out targeted removal is awful against a deck that wants to sacrifice its own creatures regularly. He got game 2 by having all the discard in his opener to take my Return to the Ranks, but otherwise it was pretty easy. The final game he tried to bolt my Voice Elemental token that was at the time a 3/3 when I had an uncracked green fetch on board....he saw Dryad Arbor both of the previous games, there's no excuse.

He was fuming with his buddies after about losing to "not even a real deck", even though he played like garbage and was clearly on tilt from turn 1 seeing something unfamiliar.

Now I kind of want to play it again......