Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
I'm trying to find a cheap modern deck that I can gradually build into something competitive. Right now I'm looking at either building a super cheapskate version of Kiki Chord or Abzan Company (shittier manabase, replace Noble Hierarch with some other mana dork, etc.) or building a budget UR delver deck and working my way into Jeskai control or Grixis delver. Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Stormchaser Mage
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Mana Leak
2 Spell Snare
4 Serum Visions
2 Electrolyze
4 Gitaxian Probe
1 Dismember
2 Spell Pierce
1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
2 Vapor Snag
2 Sulfur Falls
10 Island
8 Mountain
2 Steam Vents

Sounds like the consensus is to go for delver, would a list like this be a good place to start for ~$150?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
The stormchasers are pretty much a placeholder for snapcaster mage, I agree that they're not great. Is Grim Lavamancer still good without fetchlands in the deck? Also, is 22 lands right or should I have fewer?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
You're right, the aggressive version seems a lot better. I'll probably end up playing something like that. Thanks for the help everybody.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
I think boreal druid is supposed to be a higher floor, lower ceiling nettle sentinel replacement, so play nettle sentinel?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Went to my first modern FNM with budget elves (mono green and sylvan messenger instead of CoCo, basically). I beat kiki chord and somebody's standard ramp deck (lol) and lost to infect. Attacking for 100+ damage on turn four is really satisfying, it turns out.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Has anyone here had experience with the bant retreat deck that got 8th & 9th at Baltimore? It looks rad, like abzan company with a less consistent combo but a better fair game.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Is Dromoka's Command worthwhile in Modern? I have a copy of that lying around and am tempted to throw it in the SB since every mode is useful here.

Abrupt decay is way better.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

There an archive somewhere of this vintage tournament?

https://www.twitch.tv/cardtitan/videos/all

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
http://wpn.wizards.com/en/article/eternal-masters-reprint

They're doing another small print run of eternal masters for the holidays.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Star Man posted:

I want to play Bitterblossom and Ajani Vengeant in Modern. Should I build up for WB tokens or Sun and Moon first?

Play both, build Mardu badstuff.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Any chance that a UWB Delver list could work in Modern with Fatal Push being a thing? Something like

I think an esper deck with removal, counterspells, and delve threats/lingering souls could be viable, but I don't know if you want delver in that deck.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/553522#paper

Abzan company with Saffi Eriksdottir + Renegade Rallier got 2nd at the modern classic this weekend. It looks like they're using it to get infinite scries with viscera seer. No tron in the top 16 is surprising.

EDIT: Actually it gets infinite bolsters too if you have Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit out.

uninverted fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 23, 2017

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I have a theory that people who play Modern gravitate to whatever their first formative Standard deck was. That's my only explanation for why I want to play that deck, INN/RTR was just after when I got back into the game, and Sphinx's Revelation/Nephalia Drownyard control was my weapon of choice.

I started during Collected Company standard and my current modern deck is CoCo elves with plans to build abzan company or knightfall soon, so there might be something to that.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
If you don't want to shell out for bitterblossoms you could probably get away with hidden stockpile as a slightly worse sidegrade. It's literally 100 times cheaper.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Tim Raines IRL posted:

wait what? I assume that if there are paradigm changes they'll find a way to port stuff over / cash people out, or there would be mass mutiny.

my total MTGO portfolio is worth less than I will spend on beer in the next year so I'm not too concerned, though I am an object-oriented alcoholic

Functional alcoholism will have fewer side effects on your life.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Things are pretty varied, the printing of fatal push and a wave of bannings just shook up the metagame. It's very, very roughly a rock-paper-scissors situation where fair decks (jund/junk and lots of different snapcaster mage decks) beat linear aggro (burn, affinity, infect and so on) which beats "big mana" (tron, which can be GW or GB instead of GR, various flavors of valakut, and bant eldrazi) which beats fair decks. Pure combo is on the uptick and threatening to disrupt things, with ad nauseum, goryo's vengeance and a supercharged cheeri0s (really) putting up results.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Regionals decklists are up. Lots of spice in there, including storm, living end, landfall aggro with renegade rallier, and BUG delver.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
I picked up the new gifts ungiven storm deck since it was super cheap on MODO, and it feels really really strong. You can go off deterministically on T3 with just a ritual and gifts ungiven if you managed to stick a baral/electromancer the previous turn, and there are tons of hands that win on T3 or T4 from an empty board. Playing baral on T3 and remanding their T4 play to loot a past in flames into your graveyard is also the most disgusting thing ever.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

The March Hare posted:

Got a link or a list?

Sure, I found it here along with a nice guide and a video series.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Elyv posted:

I'm still confused that Dig and Company aren't banned in the format. I have no idea what's good in it but those cards have to be too good right

It looks like everything is 3-4 color Cards I Liked From Standard and rally is the best deck.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Eldritch evolutions seems bad in that deck. I think you're going to be prone to flooding with 24 lands, a bunch of mana dorks and no card draw. You probably want to go up to the fourth copy of gifts, since T4 elesh norn will be ten times better than anything else the deck can do.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Where's the death's shadow?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
My FNM with abzan company went really well. I won against everything but tron with grafdigger's cage and ended up in third. I tried a build with four renegade ralliers and I'm never leaving home without them again. You can drop the wall of roots because you can get all the mana you need by rebuying fetchlands with rallier. It leaves you more dense on action but still very fast, not to mention the backup Saffi Eiriksdotter combo they enable.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I actually cut all the Ralliers from my build. Tried 3 rallier/1 saffi and didn't like it, then cut rallier one by one as weeks went on. I played with 1 at a 2k and it was alright but I had several times where it was a no-value 3/2, especially when I companied into it and didn't have anything to sac before company was cast. Currently using a 3rd eternal witness instead and I think I like it more personally, but abzan coco lists are so flexible I don't think it's wrong either way, I do think rallier is pretty good if you're on a version with Voice but I'm also on no voices currently.

I'm also trying no walls after looking at a few recent top-placing lists in favor of playing 4 nobles instead of 3, I think being able to go wider against shadow decks seems pretty good. Can't decide what I like better though.

It's interesting that we had such different experiences with the card. I found that I pretty much always had either a fetchland or a viscera seer (I added the third to be more combo-oriented) and an expendable creature when I needed to activate the rallier.

All three of the major variants of the deck (renegade rallier with saffi, archangel of thune package, and BDM-style tireless trackers and courser of kruphix maindeck) are pretty good in my opinion. If you're expecting a lot of graveyard hate you probably want to pick one of the latter two, if not I like the first one.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

wiskibubbles posted:

So sense my deck of almost 4 years is no longer someone convince me of something to play. Right Now I'm Missing cradles from elves and the lands from dredge. Or do I just play 4 color pile control

UWx stoneblade is a pretty natural place to go for ex-miracles pilots. A full 4-color build placed OK at the Worcester open.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

Like it should be with your sweepers!

They really did nail it right out of the gate by putting Wrath at four mana, any more makes control anemic and any less makes control overbearing.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
1 Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Chord of Calling
4 Collected Company
4 Devoted Druid
2 Eternal Witness
2 Forest
4 Ghost Quarter
4 Kitchen Finks
1 Misty Rainforest
3 Noble Hierarch
2 Overgrown Tomb
2 Razorverge Thicket
3 Renegade Rallier
1 Rhonas the Indomitable
2 Temple Garden
1 Verdant Catacombs
2 Viscera Seer
4 Vizier of Remedies
2 Voice of Resurgence
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills

2 Abrupt Decay
1 Burrenton Forge-Tender
1 Courser of Kruphix
2 Path to Exile
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Scavenging Ooze
4 Tidehollow Sculler
3 Tireless Tracker

I brought this unconventional build of Abzan Company to FNM and went 4-1. Notable inclusions are the new infinite mana combo with Rhonas as the mana sink and four main deck ghost quarters. I know cutting Gavony Township is heresy, but I wanted to improve the Tron matchup since it's common at my shop, and I thought that repeated ghost quartering with renegade rallier could be a strong line against some of the greedy manabases running around.

I won four goldfishy matchups (elves, affinity, the mirror, and infect) and lost to Lantern. The deck is noticeably quicker and more consistent with the new combo; it can hang with any of the fastest decks in the format like Storm. I wish I could have seen how it performed against a conventional midrange or control deck, but overall I'm really excited about where Company goes from here.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Walked posted:

Alright guys. I've got two weeks to pick a deck and jam as many mtgo leagues as possible before SCG Baltimore (modern)

Assuming cost and collection aren't prohibitive, what would you pack?

I'm considering a Deaths Shadow variant obviously, but I expect everyone coming gunning to beat it.

Considering Abzan combo with Devoted Druid, UW Control, Lantern (leaning hard away from this as I expect burn and Tron to be really well represented, but it is what I have the most seat time with).

But anything is on the table as far as I'm concerned.

Abzan company with the new combo is a fantastic deck, but it takes a lot of reps to get comfortable with it and it's a pain to play on MTGO.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
1 Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
3 Birds of Paradise
4 Chord of Calling
4 Collected Company
1 Courser of Kruphix
4 Devoted Druid
2 Duskwatch Recruiter
3 Eternal Witness
2 Forest
2 Gavony Township
2 Ghost Quarter
4 Kitchen Finks
1 Misty Rainforest
3 Noble Hierarch
2 Overgrown Tomb
2 Razorverge Thicket
1 Scavenging Ooze
2 Temple Garden
2 Tireless Tracker
1 Verdant Catacombs
2 Viscera Seer
4 Vizier of Remedies
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills

3 Abrupt Decay
4 Path to Exile
1 Phyrexian Revoker
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Selfless Spirit
1 Sin Collector
2 Tireless Tracker
2 Voice of Resurgence

Compared to the list I posted a few pages ago, I trimmed the ghost quarters to two (four colorless lands is fine with so little black but gavony township is 100% necessary to the deck) swapped to duskwatch recruiter as the mana sink, and added tracker/courser of kruphix maindeck instead of renegade rallier and voice of resurgence. I had a few too many games with the previous build where I had infinite mana and nothing to do with it, and rhonas is too slow to be a real card in modern when you have no natural 4 power creatures.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

myDad posted:

Btw, while impractical within the constraints of the deck, there's a neat combo with: your sac outlet, Saffi Eriksdotter, and Reveillark that lets you infinitely loop any creatures with 2 power or less (Fiend Hunter, Fulminator Mage, Tidehollow Sculler)

Saffi eriksdotter is also a combo with renegade rallier, viscera seer, and anafenza kin-tree spirit but the new combo is way better so it doesn't make the cut anymore.

Also, if someone surgically extracts your kitchen finks you can still win with infinite mana by repeatedly sacrificing and re-buying two eternal witnesses with an anafenza on the board to get infinite bolsters.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
It's completely reasonable to run a ballista instead of the second recruiter, but I think recruiter is a slightly better card when you're not combo-ing and the times when it makes a difference to the combo are very fringe. With the build I posted, you can use the tireless trackers and courser of kruphix to draw anti-hate cards you put on top of your deck postboard (like abrupt decay) when you have infinite mana and recruiter, so winning through rest in peace or similar isn't an issue.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

myDad posted:

Tireless Tracker is great for a really weird reason.

When you have infinite green mana & Duskwatch Recruiter out you can activate the ability on his human side an arbitrary number of times. Since it looks at the top 3 cards and puts them on the bottom of your library in any order, when the size of your library is a multiple of 3 you scry any single card you want to the top. When the size is NOT a multiple of 3 you can rearrange your library as you like. In the latter case you can rearrange your library to enhance the effectiveness of Collected Company, which can be drawn after rearranging your library with Tireless Tracker.

I think it's a neat trick, but I don't see how Courser of Kruphix comes into the discussion.

e: Since this was started as primarily a discussion between a more all-in on combo vs toolbox & one-of approach I'd like to open it up a little more. Do you think hand disruption is a significant problem alongside Surgical Extraction? Have you thought to minimize the effect these spells can have at tearing apart your gameplan, and how does your approach more embody the combo or toolbox side?

The courser is relevant in case you don't have a land drop in hand to get the clue. It's mostly in the deck because it's a good card though.

EDIT: This iteration is barely a toolbox deck at all, it's a combo/goodstuff deck. Game one you either kill people with the combo when they tap out (80% of the time) or piece some kind of fair win together with creature beats (20% of the time). Post board against heavily interactive decks you want to take out combo pieces in favor of removal and more value dudes.

uninverted fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 16, 2017

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Ballista is probably great if you're running into a lot of affinity, the mirror, or other small creature decks. I might've also written Rhonas off too quickly if builds other than the one I was using are better at turning him on. The win condition choice is a total judgement call, but I feel pretty strongly that you should max out on viziers and devoted druids before adding more than one or two infinite mana sinks. You can almost always use infinite mana to get to a win or an irrecoverable advantage with this deck.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

triple sulk posted:

What do you all think of Counters Company (https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-counters-company#paper) in modern? Looking to finally get into the format having not really played at all since New Phyrexia/Innistrad, and doing some solitaire with it in Cockatrice it feels like a lot of fun getting the infinite mana combo off. I liked Twin a bunch when it was in standard, so I guess that makes sense as to why I like this. Just looking at the other decks in the meta, Grixis Death's Shadow seems cool, but it feels perhaps a little too focused in its win condition.

The land base isn't cheap which isn't a surprise, but I don't mind since it potentially carries over to other decks.

(Thanks to C-Euro for pointing this thread out)

The deck is real good. Half of your matchups (almost any deck without interaction) feel unlosable, and you can win a lot of the other half if you navigate correctly. If you like to tinker with the last few cards of a deck to suit your local meta the archetype gives a lot of room for that too.

I'm looking into this version myself. It's the vizier combo incorporated into a Knightfall shell rather than the abzan company shell. I think the overall card quality is higher (knight of the reliquary > kitchen finks) and the reflector mages should buy time to bridge you into the grindy eternal witness phase of the game.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

triple sulk posted:

It seems like I could go with the one I linked and at least I'd have lands in possession if I wanted to slot in the few cards that make that variation. Viscera Seer's ability seems nice and flavor wise I don't mind the splash of black. That said, I can see why the variation you linked would be good, too.

The abzan build is great too, it's what I play right now. The kitchen finks also make burn a super easy matchup, and saccing your board to viscera seer can let you look at a crazy number of cards when comboing is your only out.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

triple sulk posted:

Isn't the Seer's thing that if you have the Vizier on, you can just infinitely scry and the Kitchen Finks keep coming back sans the -1/-1 added and you get infinite life and potentially win that way?

That's why you put it in the deck, but it's also just a nice card to have on the battlefield. If the opponent tries to remove one of your creatures, or you want to chump block, you get a free scry out of it. If you're in an irrecoverable situation and you need to draw the right card to win on the next turn, you can sacrifice all your incidental mana dorks and eternal witnesses and so on to try to find your last combo piece on the opponent's end step. Most of the cards in the deck have a similar story, they're part of a combo but they have applications beyond the combo.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
UB reanimator should be a good pick, it's supposed to beat up most other combo decks.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Typhus733 posted:

I absolutely concede that I could just be wrong but I think pure representation is a factor in modern. The raw popularity and price of a deck can definitely matter. Also I don’t play rw prison/sun and moon but I thought it actually had a good match up against the current ds lists. The Abrupt Decay lists are super greedy in the mana base and as well as the grixis version, could possibly beat one chalice or blood moon but would get stifled by a deck built around that kind of hate.

Again, I could be just dumb and wrong.

It's kinda like Painter in legacy. Even if it's really good, it's weird as hell and none of the expensive pieces transfer so it isn't going to see a ton of play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

myDad posted:

Speaking of...

What's the glittering wish for?