Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
It's really easy to throw one copy in knightfall, especially the newer lists with chord of calling. Even if you're not ghost quartering people out, guaranteeing double landfall for retreat to coralhelm with a fetch in your GY is pretty nice, not to mention how great horizon canopy is with the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
This new god is the best thing to pair with Beck since Nigel Godrich.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
How about Elves?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

After playing a few leagues with it, I think Nissa, Steward of Elements is really solid in Knightfall or any other blue Collected Company deck. Playing it with X=1, ticking up once, then zeroing for the rest of the game is going to put you really far ahead, and it's hard to pressure her behind your wall of creatures. If lightning bolt ever comes back or the format speeds up she's out, but I like the card a lot right now. If you're playing the vizier combo it's even a semi-respectable way to spend infinite mana.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Main
4 Birds of Paradise
1 Breeding Pool
4 Chord of Calling
4 Collected Company
4 Devoted Druid
1 Duskwatch Recruiter
3 Eternal Witness
2 Forest
1 Gavony Township
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Kessig Wolf Run
4 Kitchen Finks
4 Knight of the Reliquary
1 Misty Rainforest
3 Noble Hierarch
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Plains
1 Retreat to Coralhelm
1 Rhonas the Indomitable
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Stomping Ground
2 Temple Garden
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Viscera Seer
4 Vizier of Remedies
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard
2 Ceremonious Rejection
1 Izzet Staticaster
1 Mirran Crusader
1 Nissa, Steward of Elements
3 Path to Exile
2 Qasali Pridemage
1 Scavenging Ooze
2 Unified Will
2 Voice of Resurgence

I took 5-color collected company to FNM, going 4-0 with a split in the fifth round. The deck is basically a hideous frankenstein mashup of knightfall and abzan company.

Round one I beat a casual BW life gain/drain deck, round two I beat conventional abzan company, three was junk, and four was a really difficult match against UW control. I split with a guy on a unique build of grixis shadow with JVP, young pyromancer, and claim to fame (I lost when we played it out for fun).

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Going halfway on collected company is really weird, either run four copies with 28+ hits or don't play it at all.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Voyager I posted:

That's kind of the issue with Spirits right now - there just aren't enough good cards to really make it consistently powerful.

Assuming you're on the Bant build, these are the powerful cards-

Yeah, it feels like the deck would be great if it had one more card you were happy to run four copies of.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
It was kind of weird for the creature-killing color to be third-best at killing creatures. Black's power level has slowly been going up and up though, in modern even more than legacy. I don't know what wizards could do about it short of some really hamfisted bans or creeping up the other colors a bunch.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Which deck has a problem with manlands/swarms but also cares about not wrathing its own guys?

I could see it in the D&T sideboard if elves and merfolk style decks got popular, those matchups are pretty bad and that card could make a significant difference.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

Literally nothing you can do will make elves a good matchup and merfolk folds to a few Jitte hits just like every other creature deck. Paying 4 mana for a non-creature spell against the deck that kills you on turn 2.5 is also not a very good plan imo. Wing Shards would be a better option and literally nobody has ever cast that card, including me because I've never drawn it. Never mind that they're probably up 10 cards even if you do wipe their board.

I was talking about modern.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
If they play gifts with a cost reducer and three open mana, you're deterministically dead regardless of what you pick.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Played bant spirits for the first time at FNM tonight. I beat GW tron, GW ranumap excavator/azusa company, a variant of the saffron olive mono black vehicles deck, and lost a close match to storm. The deck felt really good the whole time. Putting together double drogskol captain was what won a big percentage of those games.

I'm on a slightly different list (below) that plays zero geist of saint traft and four nebelghast herald. The herald is kind of an embarrassing card to be playing in modern, but it does a lot in matchups that are about creature combat. I'm much lower on geist than most people in this deck. Your plan should be to ignore their ground guys as much as possible, and hexproof is not an important keyword to a deck that already has a million ways to protect its creatures.

4 Collected Company
4 Drogskol Captain
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
4 Nebelgast Herald
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Path to Exile
2 Phantasmal Image
4 Rattlechains
4 Selfless Spirit
4 Spell Queller

3 Botanical Sanctum
1 Breeding Pool
2 Flooded Strand
1 Forest
2 Gavony Township
2 Hallowed Fountain
2 Island
2 Misty Rainforest
1 Plains
1 Razorverge Thicket
1 Temple Garden
4 Windswept Heath

SB: 2 Aven Mindcensor
SB: 1 Blessed Alliance
SB: 1 Burrenton Forge-Tender
SB: 1 Dispel
SB: 2 Dusk // Dawn
SB: 1 Eidolon of Rhetoric
SB: 2 Rest in Peace
SB: 2 Stony Silence
SB: 3 Unified Will

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

C-Euro posted:

How were the matches against Tron and the Ramunap deck? I thought Spirits was a dog to big mana decks, and I'm about to finish that Ramunap deck and need to know what to watch for when I play our local Spirits guy.

E: No Kira either?

I expected the tron matchup to be bad but it turns out that you have a good enough clock to pressure them, and you can dance around a lot of their sorcery speed haymakers with your flash creatures. You also have a lot of nice sideboard options against them: stony silence is great, and a fast curve of creatures followed by hitting their first payoff card with unified will wins a lot of games.

The GW value/ghost quarter company match is all about getting damage in with fliers while protecting your creatures from path. They gain a lot of life and gum up the ground really hard, but you can still expect to kill them pretty quickly if things are going according to plan. Double captain almost wins on the spot. Nebelghast herald made it hard for them to either race or block with birds of paradise. Spell queller hitting their company is a blowout, but my opponent played around that really well. Hope the opponent doesn't blow up all your lands early on, that's how I lost one of the games. Voice of resurgence is good against you, that's probably your highest priority path target after a big knight of the reliquary.

I might try to fit in a copy of Kira, it's definitely a good card.

uninverted fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 7, 2017

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Star Man posted:

Should I hold off on getting a playset of Future Sight edition Horizon Canopies until next month or just get them now for ~$60 each?

It ought to drop a good amount; they're printing it at rare. I also want a copy and I'm going to wait.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Is there a UB aggro/control deck that, instead of playing bad faeries, plays good cards? I'm thinking something in this vein:

The strongest version of this archetype is probably grixis shadow. If you want to have fun, somebody at my shop plays a sweet UB thing in the ice deck with pretty reasonable success.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
How good/necessary are the two copies of JVP that keep showing up in infect lists lately? I have most of the rest of the money cards for that deck but I have a hard time justifying shelling out for those.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Kazu Negri took the most recent modern classic with a throwback (still w/ devoted druid) abzan company deck that's heavy on black cards, including four maindeck tidehollow sculler along with distended mindbenders in the sideboard. Definitely a cool approach to the deck. There was probably some inspiration from all the humans/taxes doing well lately. Disruptive weenies are where it's at right now.

EDIT: Also only five one-mana dorks, that's the lowest I've ever seen.

uninverted fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 23, 2017

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Star Man posted:

How badly does Modern Elves lose to UR Storm on a scale of "try to be on the play" to "play another deck"?

The former, especially if you have the devoted druid combo. Pack some sideboard hate (hatebears/rest in peace if you're in white, hand disruption if you're in black) and you'll be fine.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
My first modern deck was BG elves with four shaman of the pack and it treated me really well. SOTP lets you play like a red deck: you get in some damage with the initial swarm, then you zap the opponent in the face if they can stabilize. It's a different enough angle than attacking for 100 with Ezuri that opponents would often be prepared for one and lose to the other, although they're both countered by sweepers.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Disdainful stroke is a very real SB card in modern, it hits most cards that you bring in negate against as well as primeval titan, eldrazi and delve creatures.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Vital Signs posted:

I have always thought of company decks as decks that can have a lot of variance, especially with your one ofs. It is a meta call for sure. Seems to me that you want to play the second version more, so do that until your meta forces you to change some slots.

They're not really higher variance than other decks. Jund and abzan have a lot of scattered one and two ofs too, but they're all just resource denial cards that are slightly better or worse against different people or bad in multiples. Everything in GW company does some variation of "develop my board while picking up incidental card advantage". You're rarely going to lose games because you drew one value bear instead of another.

The combo-based collected company decks are a different animal, but chord still makes them very consistent.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
I want them to unban SFM so that knightfall has a good two-drop besides scavenging ooze.

please play supreme verdicts instead of those other wraths

Listen to this guy. Supreme verdict is so much better than any other wrath against death's shadow and jeskai queller.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
By jeskai queller I mean the tempo-oriented jeskai decks. I know you can spell queller a supreme verdict. The card is still a giant upgrade over straight Wrath against aggro-control, that one particular interaction excepted, because it's frequently going to kill a geist when your opponent held up logic knot or a gurmag angler when they held up stubborn denial.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
I finally took the garbage Nebelghast Heralds out of my Bant Spirits deck and switched to the standard Geist of St. Traft version. At the end of the day you're playing a three mana 2/1 in modern, and I kept getting destroyed by cards like Darkblast. I predict that the Jacepocalypse is going to be very good for this deck.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Someone already had this idea
I don't know if it's particularly good but I'm close to having all of the pieces and I really want to try it out.

I think the archetype has potential but that list has some weird choices. It needs to decide whether it's a beatdown deck or a GWx grindy creature deck; wild nacatl and courser of kruphix are pretty odd cards to put together. And zero path to exile main deck can't possibly be right.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Has anyone tinkered with BBE in a Knightfall deck? Testing with Jace has been pretty reasonable so far but I know some people are trying that route too and it seems worth testing.

Typically the deck’s worst matchups are Tron and Control and I’m looking to improve those. Jace seems incredible vs. both Control and Lantern but just makes us durdle more vs. Tron. I’m looking at slapping 3 Geist in the board for those matchups but I’m not sure about it, does BBE change the nature of those matchups? Is it actually worth trying over Company?

If I went that route I would cut the paths and use bloodbraid elves as collected companies #5-8. Flipping a reflector mage off bloodbraid elf is a buttload of tempo.

Tron is always going to be tough, but I like the control matchup after adding a few selfless spirits maindeck.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
IMHO the way to go in knightfall is to run MD reflector mage, go slightly higher on the JTMS and retreats, and cut path to exile. Tapping and bouncing the opponent's creatures while you develop your own board is just as good as killing them permanently in this deck.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/980264

Look at this crazy Pyromancer Ascension deck that just got a 5-0. Its only win condition is literally putting seven copies of the card Lightning Bolt on the stack.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Jund should be a totally fine matchup. You have some game against combo decks where removal is live (storm, devoted druid decks) but things like ad nauseam or grishoalbrand are going to be really rough.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Yoked posted:

Has anyone played Elves in Modern? Considering it Top 8'd at the past GP and I watched Reid Duke play a Vizier version recently, I was considering putting it together as it looks fun as hell, but need the Caverns and some of the dual lands.

What match ups are it bad for it? It seems like either Ugin or other combo decks could be real bad for it, but would otherwise be even or good against a lot of the other popular decks. I may be reading it wrong though.

Affinity will usually out-goldfish you game one, and both sides have comparable sideboard bombs against each other (stony silence for elves vs. ghirapur aether grid and grafdigger's cage for affinity). You have a very limited ability to play around any kind of sweepers. Other combo decks are either a bit faster (storm, grishoalbrand) or can time walk you to death (ad nauseam, U-based scapeshift).

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Has anyone played around with Shalai, Voice of Plenty in Modern GWx? I haven't had the chance to do so yet but I've seen lots of deck in those colors running one or two, from regular GW Company to Chord to Saheeli Rai combo. Gonna try her in Chord as a way to protect the combo and another infinite mana sink.

She fits devoted druid decks like a glove. They're always interested in almost-playable midrange cards that contribute to the combo.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Counters Company/Devoted Druid crew- do you like the GW build or the Abzan build more? I've been working on the GW build because I've had that GW Company shell built for a little while. Meanwhile the Abzan version seems more all-in on the combo which might be better in certain cases, and I think the Abzan version has been around for longer. Thoughts on either?

Which colors you want to play mostly comes down to what you want to do with the ~6 slots outside of the combo and the mandatory support cards (mana dorks, company, chord). You get knight of the reliquary and some tireless trackers for GW, the kitchen finks side combo for abzan, and reflector mage or spell queller if you want to get spicy with bant. The third color improves your sideboard pretty significantly, but GW gets a bunch of utility out of its lands.

If you want to beat interactive decks, play GW. If gaining infinite life is good, play abzan. If you want to bounce gurmag anglers with reflector mage or destroy the mirror with spell queller, play bant.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

C-Euro posted:

I do have Quellers and Mages along with Bant lands, though I don't think I've seen a Bant Devoted Druid list before. Got one on-hand to share?

Sure, here's what I'm currently playing. The second walking ballista could definitely be a Shalai. Jace in the sideboard is totally optional; Nissa, Steward of Elements is almost as good for 1/20th of the price

Main
4 Birds of Paradise
2 Botanical Sanctum
1 Breeding Pool
4 Chord of Calling
4 Collected Company
4 Devoted Druid
3 Duskwatch Recruiter
4 Eternal Witness
4 Flooded Strand
2 Forest
2 Gavony Township
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Horizon Canopy
2 Misty Rainforest
4 Noble Hierarch
1 Plains
4 Reflector Mage
1 Rhonas the Indomitable
2 Scavenging Ooze
1 Temple Garden
3 Vizier of Remedies
2 Walking Ballista
4 Windswept Heath

Sideboard
1 Aven Mindcensor
1 Burrenton Forge-Tender
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
2 Qasali Pridemage
2 Selfless Spirit
4 Spell Queller
2 Stony Silence
1 Vendilion Clique

uninverted fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 16, 2018

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Two out of those three decks have ever top 8ed anything, and stompy isn't one of them.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Primeval titan was a big one not too long ago, but RG scapeshift seems to have fallen off lately.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

How does it beat 4 Terminus Control?

Terminus is extremely good against spirits if you can miracle it. But you're relying on a specific card to win a matchup that's fundamentally hard in a metagame clock sense (control vs. aggro-control).

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Playing some number of threats and then holding up a counter for the opponent's sweeper, combo kill or 4-drop stabilizing creature is what aggro-control does, and that's what every spirits win looks like (besides the geist nut-draws). It also loses to real aggro decks and beats real control decks. I don't know what criteria you could have in mind that spirits doesn't meet.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
There's definitely a spectrum, where you have naya zoo at one end, RUG delver a little further out, and grixis delver past that. Spirits is more like RUG delver than either of the other two. Call it "disruptive aggro" instead of "aggro-control" maybe, but it's seriously misleading to just call it an aggro deck.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Worth noting that against spirits, abrupt decay is only relevant against mausoleum wanderer. Spell queller is worded so that it can hit abrupt decay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Usually when you see a bunch of one-ofs in a deck it's for one of two reasons. The first is that the deck sees a lot of cards and has a lot of options that are equally good but slightly different for a particular slot. For example, if you look at a typical blue moon list, you'll find 2-3 of abrade, forked bolt, roast or similar at one copy each. The second is when you have a tutor effect and a set of narrow utility cards. Abzan company decks might run one scavenging ooze, one fiend hunter, and one Shalai to go get with chord of calling when appropriate.

uninverted fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 22, 2018