Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

i'm the four mana sorcery-speed spell in the deck filled with flash fliers

Sometimes you get a turn 3 Jace after you Spell Queller turn 2 and that just does things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Tell me why this Bant Humans list is good and/or bad-
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-bant-humans#paper

Basically dropping Rider, Freebooter and Thalia for CoCo, Quellers, and more Buglers/Reflectors (along with a slightly less awkward mana base).

You're giving up a shitload of percentage points vs. combo in the form of your disruption and the quickest clock in your deck to win grindier games.

It'll win the mirror on grinds every time but it's a lot slower and there's a definite downside to that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

speaking of Solidarity, just saw a spoiler for this card in the next set:

Growth Spiral
UG
Instant
Draw a card. You may put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield.

Throw a trop or two into Solidarity and this card is... pretty nuts, right? the trops even let you do stuff like cast hunting pack

Without a High Tide already active it’s a blind cantrip in a combo deck and that’s a sketchy proposition.

It’s not much different than suggesting they run Volcanics for Manamorphose.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If you resolve Wilderness Reclamation with that deck and have basically any interaction at all you win.

That’s it, from there you chain Mystical Teachings and eventually beat face with a Tar Pit or Snapcaster.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

speaking of BWx tokens decks, is that Cabal Therapist card they're printing for modern horizons A Thing? Seems pretty free with like a bitterblossom or something

All that card will do is make their removal suddenly a lot more live against tokens.

If it were usable the same turn it would be great but it’s not, card is just very slow.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Like I guess maybe they were afraid of blind Cabal blowouts?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Counterpoint: 2 of their top 10 cards are a joke Cabal Therapy and whatever Serra is supposed to be? The 4th worst 2WW planeswalker ever made?

Cabal Therapist is one thing but you're sleeping harder on that Serra than you should steve.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is the ability to do something like T2 Karn off of two Ancient Tombs, grab Mycosinth Lattice, T3 play City of Traitors, play Mycosinth Lattice, opponent concedes because they can't do anything as broken as it looks in Legacy/Vint?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

Karn, the Great Creator (4) (Rare)

Activated abilities of artifacts your opponents control can't be activated

+1 Until your next turn, up to one target noncreature artifact becomes an artifact creature with power and toughness each equal its converted mana costest

-2 You may choose an artifact card you own from outside the game or in exile, reveal that card and add it to your hand

(5)

Vintage is loving dead

I think a lot of formats are liable to have to be able to deal with that card, honestly.

The Splinter Twin combo with it gives no card disadvantage and one piece literally tutors for the other. It's a gonzo card.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Skyl3lazer posted:

Not sure the exact look of it now, but Anuraag is playing lists like these

I see Karn and I have questions

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

If they can't interact with it and stop you from dropping Lattice, they lose. It also has EE/Crypt/Relic/Needle as a wishboard package.

I now have answers.

I figured it would be playable but certainly not in that specific deck, lol.

Thanks!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

4 Ancestral
4 Footfall
4 Bolt
4 Serum?
4 Goyf
4 Shardless
4 Bloodbraid
9 ????????

23 Land

4 Dreadhorde Arcanist?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Talkin legacy my dude. Get those serum visions outta there

Get those lovely Goyfs out too

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
They’re definitely in better shape but they also have very little means to protect Teferi. They need to be able to throw Hierarch in front of him or rush him out turn 2 (very possible with Hierarch and if an Inkmoth is out does seem to result in an inevitable win next turn).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah the T4 thing is super dead and it’s not coming back unless they print something insane to slow down the format

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also free Stoneforge because the idea that it’s going to be a plague on the format is frankly a little silly at this point

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone know the pros and cons of Eldrazi Tron vs. regular Tron? Regular Ugin is fuckin $$$$$ right now

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

Blatantly stolen from suicidesteve in the discord but I feel you all should see this deck

https://twitter.com/itsJulian23/status/1146815335041048578?s=19

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

That deck is loving saturated with nonsense

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Bringing U/W to a 5K next week, haven’t played in ages, anyone have any pointers or advice for the deck?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I want to talk about Stoneblade with y’all. Specifically, this Stoneblade: https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=23015&d=357817&f=MO

I love it and it feels super good and fun to play! You run tons of solid disruption creatures while still presenting a quick clock when you need to thanks to the Forge and you have an endless stream of card advantage. I want to run it in a 4K next weekend but won’t have a ton of time to get reps in so I want to try to figure out what matchups are like for it before then.

Looking at the list it’s easy enough to identify a few potential weakness decks, specifically Urza and Tron where I count 10 separate cards that get brought in from the board. Burn also seems potentially problematic. What other decklists might pose a problem for it? The creature suite is very soft to Bolt so I could see that being a problem as well.

Playing it last night in a typical Thursday night modern setting I beat Jund twice (matchup feels pretty great), Ad Naus and 4CC Whirza. I think it’s really solid for grinding games out but I didn’t get much chance to see what the combo matchups are like for it.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 13, 2019

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

Is coco actually good in the deck? It seems like you already have so much card advantage in the deck and so wouldn't be super essential.

I found grabbing disruption creatures at instant speed pretty helpful last night, it’s mainly good for quickly re-establishing a board presence. It could easily be Tefs and/or Jaces but I’m not sure what that gains me when a large portion of the deck already either allows for reactive play at instant speed or heavily facilitates it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Posting this here, too: trying to decide between UW and Bant Stoneblade for an Open tomorrow in Modern. I'd like to hear people's thoughts on those decks, I know UW's got the better record overall, it seems like the more consistent option but Bant is powerful in it's own right and I really like a lot of the cards played in Bant shells.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Play whichever one you like best and have reps with, which I know in your case is bant. Don't do the day-before second guessing.

Yeah, I tried UW and just didn’t have as much fun in addition to misplaying a few times. Bant it is.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ilmucche posted:

I'm looking at getting into legacy and was told modifying one of my modern decks is a bad idea. That manaless dredge list looks cheap and loads of fun. How does it deal with leylines and rest in peace though? Are they not playing in legacy?

Force of Vigor, Cabal Therapy and good old fashioned going under them (also Leylines are bad in Leg)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also Force of Will exists and is a 4-7 of so Dredge just ain’t doing what it do in Modern

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

fadam posted:

What’s the classiest way to remember your pact triggers? Anyone make any lit acrylic tokens?

Neon flashing light in the colour of the pact placed on top of your deck before you draw

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

fadam posted:

I feel like that probably wouldn't fly.

Instead of actually working this afternoon I'm going to fire up AutoCAD and draft some 3d printable pact tokens.

EDIT: I'm thinking something like a big rear end pyramid that says PACT along the sides

Make one that has “Owning with Pacts in Magic” stenciled across it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

fadam posted:

is that a reference to something? I'm culturally illiterate

“Owning (the libs) with Facts and Logic”

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

That's not surprising considering it is the new deck and is made up chiefly of newer expensive cards that a lot of people probably haven't gotten yet.

Also it’s a $1600 deck with the biggest target imaginable painted on its head

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Why is just jamming Oko into [someDeck] bad but jamming Brainstorm/Ponder/Preordain into the same deck good?

Because as good as Brainstorm is it doesn’t invalidate every single creature and artifact that costs more than 2 without providing immediate value all the time forever

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Hell, Jace giving immediate value involves risking dying to Bolt.

Oko always gives you something and you'd need Bolt Snap Bolt to actually take him out in the same way despite costing a mana less. That's absolutely absurd.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also the posters drawing equivalencies might just be right that Delver is a ridiculous card that has no business being in Legacy and should be looked at next

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I thought the same thing after every banlist announcement that didn't include Oko or Astrolabe, especially since the biggest argument against Deathrite was the free mana fixing allowing 4-5 color decks to be strong.

I also think this constantly about Birthing Pod in Modern. I still think that ban was uncalled for, it wasn't so much the power level as "everyone just jumped on the bandwagon so there were too many copies showing up". But then you look at that compared to some of the other poo poo in the format now and I wonder....why can they unban JTMS and Stoneforge Mystic but not this thing? I don't even know that a pod deck would be playable right now.

Stoneforge Mystic without Jitte is less powerful than Pod.

Pod would still be good enough, Skyclave Apparition alone is such an enormous card for the deck that has been printed in the last 2 sets.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Smashing Link posted:

On my way to sell 3 Mox Diamonds today to pay for a new dog for my wife.

You’re naming the dog Moxie, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Finally a card that can put death and taxes in its place. The savior of the format! Now if they could just do something about zoo and solidarity.

I don’t think UR is a real big fan of it either tbf