Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I play infect in paper legacy. I have a great community near me when there isn't a horrible pandemic.
I like Infect because I feel like it gives you a little bit of everything in the Legacy experience. You get the cantrips cartel for consistency, FoW so you don't just autolose to combo, you can play the combo game yourself but in a fairer way so it never feels like your opponent just can't do anything, and you get to alternate between playing aggro/tempo/control game plan based on the matchup and your draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Mezzanon posted:

I also play legacy infect. I’ve been testing a white splash for t3feri in the main and geist in the side as well.

I do white sometimes for swords and rest in peace, depending on how my meta is shaping. There is a lot of lands/loan in my area though, so staying ug for a safer manabase can be worth it.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Eternal Weekend looks like it was a big success. The third legacy event even hit it's cap of 672 players. The top 8s look pretty diverse too from what people have been putting together.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Legacy really needs some bans. I wish they would just ban Oko, then evaluate for 2 weeks to see if anything else needs a ban. At this point I'd be happy to see Oko, uro, and DHA all banned.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Probably wouldn't change much. I've seen a deck run a shockland as a fifth dual land, but I don't think most decks would. It would be a buff to field of the dead decks that sometimes run a few shocks to hit the 7th unique land.
That said printing identical lands violates the RL anyway, so there is no advantage in doing that vs just reprinting them. The other option that gets floated sometimes is just to print fetchable fast lands.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
UR delver is too strong and they will need to ban something out of blue xerox at some point, though I don't think they will ever be willing to touch brainstorm.

Pauper is in a decent place right now for something that kind of feels like legacy where value matters. UB faeries is a fun deck.

I also got interested in premodern recently for something that feels nostalgic but is also a decent format on its own. The ban list helps give the format its own distinct feeling. The lack of any fetchable duals also means mana bases are usually real cheap. I'm putting together UG madness, dead guy ale, sligh, and The Rock for a battle box for casual magic.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Mezzanon posted:

I miss playing legacy infect, but love playing cycling storm in pauper because tireless tribe is no longer a deck.

Infects not too badly positioned right now. It's not great but people are getting kind of durdly and simic infect is having some success with people going up to 3 berserk and 3 scale ups.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

kalel posted:

here's a random thing I want to talk about

I was introduced to mtg via commander, but the eternal format I'm most interested in now is legacy. part of the reason for that is because I find the content creators more enjoyable to watch/listen to than those of other formats. I especially really enjoy the legacy content created by brian coval (boshnroll) and phillip gallagher (thraben university) on Youtube. I like that their content is made specifically for Youtube and isn't just a rip of a recording from twitch.

A lot of content creators I've tried to watch fail to meet a specific criteria that I personally find essential to my enjoyment of watching mtg gameplay: thoughtful, skilled play which is communicated in-the-moment in an easily-grokkable manner. In fairness the cross section of skill magic players with skilled content creators is very slim, but this dearth is exacerbated by the fact that a lot of Youtube MTG gameplay content is recordings from twitch where they're clearly distracted and not playing the best they could, and it's just disappointing. (the other, softer criteria include: not having CoNtEnT cReAtOr voice, and playing bo3 and not bo1 (only a problem for mtga creators))

by the way, if there's any content creators people know of who fit that description, regardless of format (legacy, other eternal formats, standard, limited, whatever), definitely lemme know!

If you like Brian and Phil you probably should give their fellow co-host a try to with Bryant Cook: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheEPICStorm He is a bit more on the Content Creator side of things and I know he rubs some people the wrong way but he knows legacy combo really well.
Andrea Menguicci also makes some good stuff https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwIFsLCPrc1NGoNS0OGn0mw he doesn't have his own channel but is part of Channel FireBall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
It's ok against DnT I guess but it's only going to get the EtB and plague engineer is scarier. It's going to be really strong against infect but once again PE is even better. It's a strong card I just don't know if it's enough to shore up blacks many weaknesses In Legacy.

neaden fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 18, 2023