Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sigma-X posted:

What format is this?

pauper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro posted:

So what AER cards are people excited to try in Modern/Legacy/Vintage? Fatal Push is a big one obviously but I want to try a couple Hidden Stockpile in BW Tokens and a couple Yahenni's Expertise in the SB of my Mill deck, maybe even MB.

I realize that it's basically a thread meme at this point but it was pointed out to me that Hope of Ghirapur could see play in Affinity, probably in a split with Vault Skirge in certain metagames; having a maindeckable piece of hate for a deck like ad nauseam or something to sacrifice on turn 3 to turn off a Nahiri player's Verdict for a turn or whatever seems like a thing that could be useful. Even against something like infect or suicide zoo(if this deck still exists post Probe ban) you can pop it to make sure they don't suddenly kill you out of nowhere the turn before you kill them.

Also, I think Spire of Industry could be a sidegrade to Glimmervoid. I've definitely killed a Glimmervoid by killing all their artifacts and Spire does tap for colorless for free so it probably deals you, like, one or two damage max instead of randomly getting killed for free once every 8 games or whatever.

Also Also Yahenni's Expertise seems good in Grixis Ancestral Visions decks, if only because it means you won't want to kill yourself when you topdeck an Ancestral on t4

also if trike is still playable in vintage shops Walking Ballista seems like a clear upgrade but man who ever knows with Vintage

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Does merfolk normally play chalice? :confused:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

would Bogles play more Kor Spiritdancers? Sram is a bad Kor Spiritdancer in that deck, I guess.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

and in the P9 challenge too

Rich Shay is in the finals of that event with some Walking Balista/Hangarback Walker shops nonsense. wizards please restrict these oppressive artifacts so i can gush in peace

No Walking Allowed

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I'm still confused that Dig and Company aren't banned in the format. I have no idea what's good in it but those cards have to be too good right

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ragnar34 posted:

And it bugs the poo poo out of me. There's a green storm spell that gives you a bunch of 4/4s, but I can't find a decent way to give them haste without messing up the rest of the deck.

Add one Concordant Crossroads, lose to force of will

As someone who likes Enchantress this deck is hilarious and probably not very good

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Suicide Black has some superficial similarities to suicide zoo. In both cases you're playing a deck that tanks its own life total and plays undercosted fatties (one deliberately, one as a consequence of playing the most efficient cards) and then finish them off with a pump spell. Suicide Zoo doesn't really exist anymore though and the new Suicide Jund deck is a bit different.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Jabor posted:

Bob + Emrakul.

No fear.

There was a Standard deck that ran Bob + Greater Gargadon and Hit//Run, people need to stop being afraid

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I played against this with both enchantress and d&t! It felt like a very bad mu on the d&t side; one of our games was pretty close but it felt like a fluke rather than how I expect the matchup to go, there are so many 4 mana enchantments that nearly lock you out of the game. On the Enchantress note, does anyone know how to get a scrolling hand on xmage now? Deck is literally unplayable without that :(

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro posted:

I might not be on the latest version of xMage but I always move the Taskbar to the side of my screen when in xMage so I can see the scrollbar for my hand. Not the most elegant solution but it works.

So the thing with Enchantress if that when your deck actually gets to fire you end up with like 20 cards in hand. Not being able to scroll through them is...awkward. There's some ways of getting an extra card or two to show up, but that's simply not sufficient.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It's not a Faerie if it's not on the Battlefield, it's a "Faerie card".

E: sorry, it's a "Faerie spell" when it's on the stack.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 19, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Smashing Link posted:

But not Hurloon Minotaur

Well, there's a reason minotaur was one of the face cards of magic for several years

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

myDad posted:

Speaking of...

No Congregation at Dawn?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

probably didn't have a fourth FoW in his binder

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Grixis Shadow plays a 6 drop

or at least, a card with a cmc of 6

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I feel like jtms slots in pretty naturally to Grixis Shadow

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

unban bloom

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ThePeavstenator posted:

and then I only tap things at a 45 degree angle

this is the real abomination here, because it makes the game state unclear

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Star Man posted:

I'm like the only person where I play that keeps track of life totals on paper. Play all the white border, mismatched editions cards you want in your schoolgirl anime sleeves.

Just keep track of your life total with pen and paper, represent tapped cards by turning them a full 90 degrees, and have your planeswalkers that enter the battlefield have their loyalty marked even if they're staying at their starting loyalty.

I keep track of life totals on my phone because it's FNM, who cares. If I play a GP or PPTQ the pen and paper come out. 100% agree with the others, although I've never seen any of the...unusual methods of marking loyalty.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro posted:

I was going to say "it doesn't make sense to ban anything from DS decks, they're just a pile of good cards like Jund!" and then remember that both BBE and DRS were banned specifically for how good they were in Jund :lol:

For the record I don't think Wizards would ban anything in DS with the intent to kill the deck outright, just to take it down a peg. I just don't know what that would be.

I don't remember offhand if BBE needed to be banned but DRS is actually broken as hell, there's a reason it's a top 5 spell in Legacy and playable in Vintage

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Voyager I posted:

Also, while we're on DRS chat, did they ever explain what their thought process was when they were designing the card? There are some obvious mistakes in retrospect, with the fact that it's a mana dork for mono-black decks arguably being a bigger fuckup than the fact that it's disgustingly powerful. Did fetch bases just not work the way they do these days when the card was printed?

Iirc it was designed for standard, where it was a good but fair card. There were no fetches in that standard, naturally.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

will of the naga did nothing wrong

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Scavenging Ooze, Kataki, Pridemage, Rec Sage, the 4/4 with cumulative upkeep of putting a card in a graveyard on the bottom, Stonecloaker, Manglehorn.

um, Jotun Grunt has a cumulative upkeep of two cards to the bottom :goonsay:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Any Chalice deck is probably a non-starter if you actually want to stick to the $500 price point.

Why yes I'm still salty about selling mine at $50, why do you ask?

When I had the deck built for a hot second I was running Ancient Tombs instead. Cheaper, but still not that budget-friendly.

Don't Chalice decks run both City and Tomb?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Fatal Push hits most things, but not quite everything, and also lol at the idea of banning a 1 mana removal spell when bolt and plow have existed literally forever

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Counterpoint: Black is pretty much already the best color at this point in terms of everything that isn't cantrips or counters. The only thing it was bad at was removal. Everything cost 2 mana or was extremely narrow at 1 mana. Did it really need a 1 mana removal spell that hits essentially every creature in the format?

Are you actually arguing that black is better than blue in Legacy? Even if that's the case, how does that make Fatal Push banworthy?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

I mean, is it not? It's close if not. Either way it's a mistake to not be playing both colors.

I can think of decent decks that are blue but not black, but not the other way around. I don't play Leg much, though

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

B&R List update

Thorn is restricted, Mentor is restricted, and Bargain is unrestricted

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I feel like Opt is probably better than Visions in Snapcaster decks but worse in storm. Of course it also feels much less bad to cast, which has to be worth something

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Today I borrowed Burn, went to a Modern PPTQ for the first time since RTR(well, they were just PTQs back then), went 5-1-1 and got ninth on breakers :(

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

it's a non-combo, non-pure control deck that does not play deathrite shaman. it is unplayable.

are you hating on death and taxes

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

rude as hell

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

i've actually changed my mind on the legacy deck im taking to EW now. I'm going to play death's shadow with 4 Dread of Nights

Elyv posted:

rude as hell

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't really know anything about 4c Loam, but a GSZ deck without Deathrite feels strange.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Star Man posted:

I would love to play a format where Serendib Efreet is playable but I also play Magic with people that would never show up for unlimited proxy Legacy or Vintage.

play TSP draft

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

no signal the clans is some hot tech

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tower does tap for mana, which I imagine is largely irrelevant in Lands but means I've seen it in Drazi before.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

UW Control is kind of a real deck in Modern because it can just wreck your mana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ponza started out as an LD deck in the 90s and the original Modern Ponza deck had a decent LD component. Most likely the midrange decks evolved out of the LD deck, kind of like how Modern Affinity contains 0 cards with Affinity for Artifacts