Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
Alright, Legacy League let's do this. Playing Legend Miracles.

Match 1 - Mentor Miracles with Predicts
1-2 Loss

Match 2 - Entreat Miracles
2-0 Win

Oh boy I hope Match 3 is Miracles!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Skyl3lazer posted:

It went down some, at one point Miracles was 27%

VVVV Eldrazi is easily Tier 1. It has an amazing Miracles matchup, and very good matchups against other decks that aren't Shardless. Really, Shardless and (maybe) Lands are it's only actually bad matchups.

Yeah, I know. I sold my Wastelands to re-buy them when EMA drops so I took myself off a ton of my decks at the moment.

It's just crazy!

My match 2 opponent was terrible as well. He went through tons of manipulation to try to find a 3-drop to counter my Clique and then later a Venser both of which were cast via Cavern...

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

suicidesteve posted:

MTGO opponents are mostly terrible. You should come to legacy tomorrow. We started kinda late last week.

Can't for a bit. Buying a dumb house.
Also starting a new job later this month, but it's EST hours so I should be showing up more into the Fall.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Played Miracles in a League run, mirror match 4 out of 6 matches (had one nullified for a feature/bug issue).

Go to run the Gauntlet... get Miracles.

Sigh.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

The March Hare posted:

The worst thing about legacy gauntlet is absolutely the basic lands btw.

I know, I almost puked. The upside to getting the deck I actually play is that I know the match-ups really well.

Poor poor Lands guy...

edit: pretty easy 3-0. First two matches were walkovers. Third match was tough, guy was a good player that got Shardless BUG, but I Blood Moon'd him out game 2 and 3.

empathe fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 8, 2016

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

They should 100% be using Unhinged Basics and Expeditions where possible.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Ran a second Legacy Gauntlet, got Punishing Knight. 3-0'd vs. all blue decks.
Blue is clearly overrated.

Match 1 vs. ANT
Game 1: Opened w/ Chalice on 1 w/ a Mox Diamond, matter of time.
Game 2: He Empty'd on turn 2 for 6 dudes, forgot to sideboard out Maze of Iths which actually saved me lol. GSZ's for a Scavenging Ooze and eventually stuck a Liliana.

Match 2 vs. Shardless BUG
Game 1: Wasteland locked him pretty hard on Loam. He scooped pretty early. Nothing like getting that Ancestral Vision with no lands in play, huh?
Game 2: Stuck a choke on turn 3 after he Decay'd my Sylvan Library. Got a Liliana and Punishing/Grove up. He flooded after that and eventually got out from under Choke but at that point he was top decking.

Match 3 vs. Sneak and Show
Game 1: He forced by Chalice on 1 and eventually played a Show and Tell. I put a Knight into play. He drew 7 cards, discarded to hand size on his turn. I untap, play Liliana. He draws another 7 to find force, whiffs, and I have him sac and swing lethal with Knight.
Game 2: He show and tells an Emrakul into play on Turn 2, I put in a Knight. Cast Containment Priest which sticks and Knight for Karakas and then bounce Emrakul. He blood moons, I chalice on 1. Clock him w/ the 4/4 Knight and Priest while he hopes for Blue Mana (which he took himself off of).

GG ez QP ez 30 fun points.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Backno posted:

HOLY poo poo HOLY poo poo HOLY poo poo!!!!!!!!!!

Clay is a kid at my local shop here in Indy. Kid wins the Classic in Indy and now this. So freaking proud of him. In November he had to get a kidney removed where cancer was found in it. Months of chemo later here we are.

https://goo.gl/photos/E2pciWPpnQRDc7Lj6

After his first round of treatment the shop pooled together and built Modern Affinity for him as a get well soon gift.

That's really awesome. Hope they got him treated in time!

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Backno posted:

edited the post to make this part more clear.

Nice. Magic community is great.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Skyl3lazer posted:

So Miracles lives through the B&R. I really wish WotC did justification paragraphs on "No changes" the same way they do on the bans and unbans.

Please don't kill Miracles. The issue is bad players / slow toppers, not power level.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

suicidesteve posted:

Welcome to tier 0!

For the record, I took the Emrakul out for the Vendilion Clique that was in the board and replaced it with a Disrupt because man, Emrakul was not good. I think I was like, 5 mana away from casting it at one point and that was the closest I ever got.

How was new Gideon? I'm interested in this.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

suicidesteve posted:

Can anyone tell me why people are bringing in Surgical against me playing Death and Taxes? I mean besides the obvious answer that MTGO players are just really, really bad. I've had 2 people do it this week.

Surgical is just a fun card and lots of people like jamming it as a "gently caress your 4 of" card but yeah it's not great vs. D&T.

I guess it's semi legit if they really can't deal with Wasteland?

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Modern is such garbage right now holy poo poo.

Dredge, Death's Shadow...

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Gitaxian Probe & Golgari Grave Troll now banned in Modern.

Also, they hosed up Standard bad and are trying to fix it.

WotC go home ur drunk

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/january-9-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-01-09

Whew, managed to get $15 in tix for my copters and relfector mages on MTGO before the buy price cratered.

empathe fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 9, 2017

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

NovemberMike posted:

Dredge is still fine. It's not as good but still fine, and if people stop putting hate in their board then it might even be better.

Wizards absolutely does not care about storm. I don't think it's even on their radar anymore.

Is there another Dredger that can be used? What does it dredge?

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Unban Top gently caress Modern let's go full control

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

suicidesteve posted:

Yes and ban Terminus. In both formats.

Where's the fun in that?

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

I'm cashing out of MODO. This digital next poo poo is likely to destroy collection value.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Elyv posted:

Does merfolk normally play chalice? :confused:

Yeah they usually do in a lot of lists.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Tim Raines IRL posted:

wait what? I assume that if there are paradigm changes they'll find a way to port stuff over / cash people out, or there would be mass mutiny.

my total MTGO portfolio is worth less than I will spend on beer in the next year so I'm not too concerned, though I am an object-oriented alcoholic

All of the value is either in redemption for paper which they only do for the new sets or secondary market. If their new thing kills either, value of digital cards will crater and go bye bye.

Wizards themselves won't cash people out at what the cards are "worth" because those are secondary market prices. I cashed out because I couldn't risk losing all that value. I miss it but I like that money more.

If I'm wrong I can always buy back in. If I'm right, I dodged a bullet.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Tim Raines IRL posted:

do you have more information on "the new thing"? I realize WoTC has been braindead about MTGO for years, but if they really replaced MTGO with MTGO 2.0, and did not port over the collections of existing users to the new app, it seems like they would instantly lose a lot of their heaviest users. Unless the new app is really standard-oriented only and doesn't have the legacy/vintage card set, in which case they would lose a lot of those people anyway.

that said, despite having probably a couple K in e-cards at this point, I have always thought of magic as disposed income. I'd never put money into MTGO that I am not prepared to burn in a fire... and magic is pretty much my only expensive hobby (and is not really expensive compared to lots of other hobbies).

Basically everything that evilweasel said.

I had like 5.5k in the system and sell price and while I'm happy to sink cost in to play, I'm way happier to be able to cash out and get that money back while WotC figures out what the gently caress it wants to do.

Again, if they don't gently caress it up, I can always buy back in.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Tim Raines IRL posted:

thanks a lot for the long analysis and thoughts, that is interesting.

I think I've got about 2K in e-cards. Perhaps I will at least cash out stuff that I am not playing with constantly.

Yeah I think keeping 1 deck in the format's you play is probably fine.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I disagree only because of the optics. When they eventually unveil whatever new thing is, they will need people to feel okay about buying boosters and buying into a collection. If they burn their bridges with people already invested in the current platform, I would assume that consumer confidence in the viability and wisdom of "investing" in the new app would be hurt significantly.

Quotes used because I think people who seriously treat any kind of Magic as an actual long-term investment strategy have a couple screws loose.

That assumes that the new platform/game/version would have a secondary market. Hearthstone doesn't. All the money in that game goes straight to Blizzard.

I would tend to agree that they shouldn't end up doing a scorched Earth move, but they are also trying to make the most money possible and there's probably some lovely Excel doc somewhere that decides if they are going to burn everyone or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Wow. These invocations are terrible looking.