Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!
Anybody know of any Legacy in NYC that starts later in the evening? I'm in the LES area and don't mind traveling anywhere in the city...but I work until 7pm during the week and every single spot I can find starts at like 6pm :( At this point I'm considering asking if I can just register by phone or something and give away a free loss round 1 just so I can get there in time to play a few rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Why should I be playing City of Solitude over Defense Grid in ANT?

Why would you be playing either of these in ANT? Do you have a list? I've only ever seen Defense Grid in Vintage Storm. That and also Serenity for the lists that splash white instead of red in the side. I just can't imagine either of those played in ANT....not sure what you'd cut for them.

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004

mcmagic posted:

It's relatively new tech. Paul Cheon was playing it at GP Columbus and in some of his ANT videos.

Rogue0071 posted:

I have had city of solitude played against me out of ANT. Seems like you could swap it in for Xantid Swarm - it has a similar effect, isn't vulnerable to creature removal (bolt often stays in vs storm, and as miracles I leave in some plow/terminus/staticasters for empty the warrens, dark confidant, and xantid swarm), works the turn you cast it, and is stronger vs miracles. It is significantly more expensive, though, so not all upside.

I've always thought both of those would be way too slow and expensive for Legacy. City isn't that bad if you're playing Trop + Bayou (I run the 15 lands with both personally) but I still can't imagine losing anything to fit in 2-3 more cards in the side. I guess I'll have to watch the Cheon videos and see how they ended up. I just feel like we already have the tools to beat any deck we'd ever want Grid/Solitude against. I don't even have Xantid in the side and took out Carpet of Flowers a while back too. Shrug.

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004

The March Hare posted:

Any of you nerds playing legacy at Montasy in NYC tonight? I'm doing my first sanctioned event with lands and I'm missing 7 of my sideboard cards so I'm running some... interesting sb options.

So if you see a bald dude running some atypical lands poo poo feel free to say hi.

I wish I could but I work until 7. I wonder if I can call in and sign up and just take a loss the first round so I can still play. I'm Legacy starved here because apparently every single shop starts everything so drat early :(

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
Somebody talk to me about B/W Death and Taxes. I play ANT almost exclusively right now and have always thought building a non-combo backup deck wouldn't be a bad idea. I've seen a few lists around where they basically bring in Scrublands, discard, and Dark Confidants and cut some of the extra fat on the traditional mono white version. Just trying to see the pros and cons with the black splash, beyond the obvious. Here's a list similar to what I've seen. Seems like the mana-base is worse and it's harder to grind with added life loss due to Bob and fetches?

3 Flooded Strand
3 Karakas
4 Rishadan Port
4 Scrubland
2 Plains
4 Wasteland
3 Windswept Heath

4 Dark Confidant
4 Flickerwisp
4 Mother of Runes
1 Phyrexian Revoker
2 Serra Avenger
4 Stoneforge Mystic
4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Thoughtseize
1 Batterskull
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Umezawa's Jitte
4 Ęther Vial

SB

1 Bitterblossom
1 Circle of Protection: Red
2 Containment Priest
1 Enlightened Tutor
2 Ethersworn Canonist
2 Orzhov Pontiff
1 Pithing Needle
2 Rest in Peace
1 Seal of Cleansing
1 Thoughtseize
1 Vindicate

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

The only real difference between Doomsday and ANT is when you cast Ad Nauseam or Tendrils in ANT you win the game, and when you cast Doomsday you tank for 40 seconds, realize you screwed up the pile, and scoop.

Pretty much this, but if you're playing Doomsday or ANT in the first place (which I am the latter and have considered the former), then you're ok with the above situation because part of you hates yourself anyways and that's totally awesome. I don't think it's better than ANT but it's a fun way to mix things up. It's pretty sweet playing a card that says "BBB: this game is about to end one way or another."

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004

mcmagic posted:

I want to just stick with Grixis for this weekend but I hate the Eldrazi matchup. Talk me out of switching...

I would just stick with it because you might weaken your other matchups by switching to something like Shardless. Unless you're going to try to change your sideboard up specifically for Eldrazi, I'd say you're better off just hoping you don't run into them more than once or twice...and if you do hopefully you can pull out with a win. But then again I don't play Grixis so I'm not sure how bad that matchup is for you.

edit: and yeah what standard.deviant said

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
Guys should I build a third Legacy deck or continue buying power so I can finish vintage storm please decide for me

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

"Continue" suggests that you've already started buying power, and at that point you might as well take it all the way.

I've got a few but still a long way to go. I guess completing power makes sense because then building almost any vintage deck will have most of the hard work done already. I've just been really itching to play D&T with the black splash for Bob and discard.

Thanks for the help everybody!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
Anybody have a cool Death's Shadow list for Legacy I can mess around with? I found a couple random ones online but they don't look that great.