Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Voyager I posted:

Swords your Death's Shadow, make you gain (13 - Current Life), kill your other Death's Shadow has to be the best feeling.

If it was a 2-for-1, probably. I've had at least one game lately where someone propelled me back to 13 with a swords, and that put enough time on the clock for me to just kill them with a delver. I've been tending to bring in DRS out of the board in games where I expect my life total to be scary for most of the late game.

e: since swords on a Shadow will always put me back to exactly 13, I have been tending to leave an uncracked fetch up if I think that might be relevant. Hasn't been yet, but let me get another 100 matches in...

I have a suspicion that Leovold could be situationally very good in this deck, but I am not running any tutors, and I don't want to put in 2-3 of them. 1 seems dubious without GSZ.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Biaga posted:

I am curious to see what people think about the fat packs. My studies for the simester are coming to an end and I am thinking of picking up something for myself to celebrate. I am leaning toward a fat pack, but I am not sure if it's the desire for more cardboard or it could actually be worthwhile.

What Fatpack is the best possible bang for your buck right now? I have played draft a couple of times with kaladesh, at one my friend got a 170$ Mox Opal foil, but I know nothing of the value of other releases.

buying packs of any kind is bad EV compared to just buying singles. Your odds of getting a Masterpiece foil in a Kaladesh fatpack is 9/144, not very good. Buy packs if you enjoy the lotto-ticket nature of cracking packs, otherwise buy a single that you'll actually use in a deck.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

it turns out that Standstill Humans isn't a good deck. At least, I think that's what it was. It played standstill and cavern naming human.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

does starfield of nyx cause enchantments to trigger creature ETB effects?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Is anyone going to GP Louisville (or plays legacy) and wants to jam some matches on XMage? It would probably be a little later this month and im also not interested in buying into legacy on mtgo

i'm not going to louisville but I'm generally down for legacy testing. Assuming you want to play against real decks, the thing I am most proficient with is elves.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

first attempt at sultai vial. super fun. probably wants tarmogoyfs.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

speaking of MTGO players being bad, I just swung in with 2 4/4 grim flayers, to have one of them chumped by a deathrite shaman... while I had only 1 land in my GY....

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

black potus posted:

This story of playing two grim flayers in a deathrite shaman format is very illustrative of how modo players are bad thank you! :jerry:

Playing with a suboptimal build or a not-really-an-archtype (in this case, sultai vial) for fun is not the same as making obviously bad decisions in game. God forbid anyone have fun playing magic, right?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

RoflcopterPilot posted:

Anybody have a cool Death's Shadow list for Legacy I can mess around with? I found a couple random ones online but they don't look that great.

I've been experimenting with two different builds, with and without a street wraith / reanimate package. Here are where they both are presently:

This may just be a worse BUG delver, tarmogoyf overall is likely more reliable than death's shadow, but the games where you get to go to 1 and swing with a 24/12 trampler backed by force/flusterstorm are pretty exciting.

Maindeck reanimate is also funny against RBx reanimator decks that aren't expecting it and pass turn with a fatty in the yard.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 24, 2016

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

empathe posted:

Modern is such garbage right now holy poo poo.

Dredge, Death's Shadow...

...infect, burn

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Ville Valo posted:

Bought myself a NM Lotus for Christmas. I don't own any other power... but have every popular/ top tier Legacy deck. Time to break the bank and play some Vintage!

what's your day job

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Ville Valo posted:

Vidya game designer.
Right on. Are the hours as bad as I've heard? I've stayed on the non-game side of dev stuff for long enough that I don't think I'll ever make the jump.

quote:

:captainpop:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Finally managed to vial in a Leovold in response to brainstorm (jace +0) and it was as thrilling as I'd hoped, opponent scooped.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

From the pictures none of the old stuff appears to be rare so it's probably not worth very much, but if there's a single blue dual land lost somewhere in the piles that would change things.

They went through a sort of similar looking box that had been unsorted in the back room of my old LGS the summer before last and found a NM unlimited Time Walk mixed in with garbage.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

So, I was thinking to myself, "why not birdblade?"

Birdblade: Dark Bantics
2 birds of paradise
2 noble heirarch
3 derevi, empyrial tactician
2 leovold, emissary of trest
2 quirion ranger
2 true-name nemesis
4 stoneforge mystic
3 deathrite shaman
1 glissa, the traitor

3 winter orb
2 garruk wildspeaker
3 green sun's zenith
1 umezawa's jitte
1 sword of feast and famine
4 swords to plowshares
2 flusterstorm
3 brainstorm

2 tundra
2 tropical island
2 savannah
1 underground sea
1 bayou
4 windsweapt heath
4 flooded strand
3 gaea's cradle

board
3 disenchant
3 swan song
1 armageddon
1 ravages of war
1 sword of fire and ice
3 qasili pridemage
3 meddling mage

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

L0cke17 posted:

First, I love it. Even though its probably bad. Second, why not 4 DRS, and 4 brainstorm? I would cut flusterstorms, and play spell pierces. youre not gonna have a protracted counter-war, so itll likely be spell pierce that cant hit walkers or artifacts. Also I dont think derevi is good enough sadly. at least not good enough to play 3. And what does glissa get you? You can recur dead winter orbs or euipment? Seems win-more at best, do nothing at worst. Also maybe some baleful striges as cantripping fliers?

All good points. Derevi is probably not legacy playable, but trying to find non-nicfit homes for EDH cards is sort of my jam these days.

I might get rid of Leovold/Glissa and drop the black splash entirely; Leovold is a really powerful card, but this mana base is greedy as gently caress, I'd like to run 1 of each basic.

Glissa has been okay in a sultai vial brew, but that deck has vials.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

first stab at adjusting this list to the new meta:
MB:
-1 glissa
-1 grim flayer
-1 looter scooter
+1 TNN
+1 Fatal Push
+1 Jittay

SB:
-1 glissa
-1 executioner's capsule
-1 looter scooter
+2 fatal push
+1 SoFI

It's pretty great that tap top enables revolt; I will probably go up to 2. This is starting to look like Reid Duke 3Drops with vials, but, drat it, I was playing this months before he published that list! Turns out Leovold is good.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 26, 2017

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

also I tried to buy $35 in tix today and bought $351 by mistake, so... time to start buying power?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Aren't they dumping MTGO within a year for the new thing?

wait what? I assume that if there are paradigm changes they'll find a way to port stuff over / cash people out, or there would be mass mutiny.

my total MTGO portfolio is worth less than I will spend on beer in the next year so I'm not too concerned, though I am an object-oriented alcoholic

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

uninverted posted:

Functional alcoholism will have fewer side effects on your life.

I'm really glad someone chimed in with that

C-Euro posted:

poo poo like this makes me wish I had any Legacy scene at all around here. This deck is extremely silly.
Yeah, it's the only thing I miss about living near DC. My LGS is talking about trying to get monthly 16-proxy tournaments going, I hope it happens.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

empathe posted:

All of the value is either in redemption for paper which they only do for the new sets or secondary market. If their new thing kills either, value of digital cards will crater and go bye bye.

do you have more information on "the new thing"? I realize WoTC has been braindead about MTGO for years, but if they really replaced MTGO with MTGO 2.0, and did not port over the collections of existing users to the new app, it seems like they would instantly lose a lot of their heaviest users. Unless the new app is really standard-oriented only and doesn't have the legacy/vintage card set, in which case they would lose a lot of those people anyway.

that said, despite having probably a couple K in e-cards at this point, I have always thought of magic as disposed income. I'd never put money into MTGO that I am not prepared to burn in a fire... and magic is pretty much my only expensive hobby (and is not really expensive compared to lots of other hobbies).

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

thanks a lot for the long analysis and thoughts, that is interesting.

I think I've got about 2K in e-cards. Perhaps I will at least cash out stuff that I am not playing with constantly.

Evilweasel posted:

So, then, what the gently caress do you do with MTGO? You can redo the program, make it much better and not suck. That doesn't really change the economics so the payoff from the investment isn't all that big. A few more players, a little better player retention. It's maintenance, it's not really a significant change. And I think people underestimate just how hard it is to keep the program running: doing a card game where the designers add arbitrary rules every few months that have to be tracked forever and ever and each individual card can have its own unique mechanic means that you're in a constant state of throwing new code in and potentially breaking old code. I'm actually sort of surprised they manage it. So you've got to do this new ground-up program while still spending all that money keeping the old one and the new one up to date.
I agree, and have always thought that a lot of the most vocal criticism of MTGO comes from people who do not understand the difficulty and complexity of implementing something like Magic in code.

On the other hand, XMage works nearly as well as MTGO as far as game & card logic resolution goes -- and that's a pet project that doesn't, as far as I know, make any money.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 26, 2017

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

as the amount of people burned hard enough by a complete drop of MTGO to not migrate could still be a drop compared to opening up the digital side of the business to more users overall.

I disagree only because of the optics. When they eventually unveil whatever new thing is, they will need people to feel okay about buying boosters and buying into a collection. If they burn their bridges with people already invested in the current platform, I would assume that consumer confidence in the viability and wisdom of "investing" in the new app would be hurt significantly.

Quotes used because I think people who seriously treat any kind of Magic as an actual long-term investment strategy have a couple screws loose.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

edit: long since beaten

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

EvilBeard posted:

The Tabernacle is at the post office. Tomorrow, she is complete:

super pretty but that deck is bad IMO it doesn't have a single elf in it

i think BUG is way better these days now that it's reliably got 5-6 elfs in it. makes it 6/30s as good as the deck with 30 elfs

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

what the gently caress am i doing with my life

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

oh, you're on elves? No, it's a new deck called Delves, you've probably never heard of it

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

i do not understand that deck at all

assume your opponent will bolt your first three drops, then play an angler, berserk it and swing in with a couple nettle sentinels i think

not good, but hilarious. like most of my brews. i think this is less playable than my suicide delver list tho

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

this felt good but I also felt pretty obnoxious. TNN is pretty busted.

it felt doubly obnoxious because earlier in the game I totally tried to fatal push a flickerwisp without revolt. So I played badly and won because I drew 100% more TNN than he drew cataclysm.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

the best thing about resolving doomsday is that someone generally wins the game as a result.

not necessarily you...

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

can I get some feedback on this probably awful list I cribbed together? It's basically "Cards I own 4c gifts (with some credit to SaffronOlive for steering)". I'm not looking to make anything hyper competitive, I actually hate modern but I don't have access to paper legacy anymore so I'm just looking for a way to have some fun at FNM and resolve the occasional titan.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Star Man posted:

Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur

just like in legacy, I think the only thing stopping this from being playable in modern is Griselbrand

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm guessing you have no access to Lingering Souls, Lili, or Elesh Norn?

oops, I didn't post the whole list:

I do have lingering souls, as well. What should I cut for them?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

uninverted posted:

Eldritch evolutions seems bad in that deck. I think you're going to be prone to flooding with 24 lands, a bunch of mana dorks and no card draw. You probably want to go up to the fourth copy of gifts, since T4 elesh norn will be ten times better than anything else the deck can do.

I've only played about ten matches, but at least 30% of the games I've won have been off of Evolution, so I am not sure I agree.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Can you give an example of a winning line with Evolution? You have one creature to Evolve into your 6-CMC guys and one to bring out Norn. Unless you have a lot of GY hate in your area dropping the two Evolutions for another Rites and Gifts seems like a better move.

it's more that it's a general tutor that can find rec sage, can turn finks into a persisted finks + thragtusk, or yes, very late game can turn wurmcoil into two wurms plus a titan.

edit: other advice taken. Am now +2 lingering souls, +2 snapcaster, no maindeck wrath and SB wrath package is 3 cards with different names (verdict, wrath, DoJ)

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 20, 2017

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Agreed. I'd probably move supreme verdict to the board personally.

You can gifts for a wrath if you run 2 because you have eternal witness.

I think I'd rather have 3 because in the games where I need it, waiting an extra turn to witness it back may well cost me the game. As an elves player I have always thought that deck is a bit obnoxious, but the RG burning tree zoo decks floating around out there are even faster, if somewhat less resilient.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

well, as much as I love Eldritch Evolution and will continue to try to find a home for it ("Baby GSZ" as I affectionally call it, when I make sweet love to it each night) -- maybe if what I want to do is to make a jank-but-fun gifts list, Glittering Wish is just better. It doesn't 2-for-1 me when it gets countered, and if what I want is to be able to find Finks it works... and also finds Decay and a bunch of other things. I have long thought that Glittering Wish is just waiting for the right shell to be good, if not actually broken.

Of course, it would be a lot better if it could go grab a Deathrite from your board, but.... #modernBlues

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I continue to mess with this dumb but fun as hell 4c gifts/glitter modern deck.

Is it ever correct to play > 0, < 4 serum visions? I don't want to give up a full 4 slots for the playset, but am considering trying 2 as a way to have a little more dig when things get drawn out.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I would probably not dare take this to a large event, but for FNM purposes this deck is a riot to play.

Sideboard is still very much a work in progress, I need to get a read on what the local meta is. I am also working on white bordering my shocks and getting even more mismatched basics. What are the worst basic lands? Two serum visions is definitely wrong and those will be Think Twice once I dig those out of my box.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Are Jund/Junk playing Fatal Push now as well? There's no Junk in my area but we have a few Jund players. However Push isn't great against the decks I usually bring so I don't recall having it cast against me a whole lot.

anything that can reliably make black mana is messing with push, as far as I can tell. It's interesting to me that it seems to be warping the legacy meta more than modern.