Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I just lost to Enchantress as UW in modern in three highly silly games.

The first game I didn't really know what he was up to but I kept a removal heavy hand, I immediately put him on jank when I saw the 2 or 3 drop that lowers the cost of enchantments. He made a bunch of mana and wasn't doing much so I tapped out for an Entreat to make a 2-turn clock... and he dropped a doomwake giant followed by 3 other enchantments. Game two I ground him out under RiP (he had Whip and Nyx Weaver shenanigans). I also used surgical extraction on a Kruphix's Insight, he pointed out that was probably not a very common interaction.

Game 3 I kept a RiP hand that was probably otherwise too scattered; he made a million mana, drew a million cards, I top decked a terminus when it was literally the only thing that would buy me another turn but he rebuilt immediately. I think he was down to single digit cards in his library, or close to it.

I'm confident that if I played against the deck a whole bunch, the $1000 tier deck has the upper hand, but it was completely hilarious to me and I haven't had that much fun losing a game in a long time. In hindsight tapping out for Entreat was wrong, but I guess I'm just not that good at doing lots of math and anticipating exactly Doomwake Giant into two fertile ground and a mana bloom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Angry Grimace posted:

But emblems are in the Command Zone.

great, all we're missing is a way to turn your emblem into a Commander and then you can cast it off a command tower

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I just cut back on Patreons and a bunch of other bullshit to justify $60/month for Manatraders for a while.

It's too expensive for what it is, but it works pretty well and gives me a way to grind games with a bunch of decks in advance of a Leaving a Legacy 2-5k in a month.

I also just buylisted around $1500 worth of stuff, picking up a couple tundras and a USea.

Any bostongoons that might be at that 2-5k? If I go I'm gonna be tempted to play Miracles but probably should play infect; I feel like my odds of making correct decisions with a grindy go-to-turns deck in a 9-round tournament are not very good. I'm also high off of playing Infect at a ~15 person LGS tournament in NoVA last week as my first time playing sanctioned legacy since 2016, and going 4-0 (round4 opp and I agreed to split in advance, but played and I destroyed him in 2 games).

That last round opponent was playing a fully foiled ANT deck, with Beta dual lands which he had bought as graded 8.5s and cracked out of their cases. poo poo you see in NoVA, I guess -- no one around here has that kind of money. Also he had bought them post spike and said the Volcs were $10,000. Each.

My only gripe against Infect is that it's probably more variance prone than UW? Round one was against BR reanimator; I'm not terrified of that matchup, but lucked out in that in game 2 I had naturally drawn the Bog at just the right time to play it, and game 3 he kept a sketchy hand where he had to unmask himself to bin a fatty, which left me with a Force for his reanimation spell... and had the bog in my hand again when I untapped. That game was bizarre because I didn't draw a single pump spell, but had 2 nexus and 2 stalkers on the board at the end of the game.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 9, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

ilmucche posted:

Do they just send you the deck? I imagine there's a crazy amount of insurance on those cards.

I'm just using it for MTGO grinding; they do have a plan that lets you rent paper decks but it's not very useful to me so I didn't look at it in detail.

XMage is fine for playing for fun / drafting new sets before release, and it's free but for actual tournament prep MTGO leagues seem better.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yeah you just pick what cards you want and they give them to you, and you have a limit of 'manahours' per month (cost of borrowed cards * time). The limit to how much you can have rented at once goes up over time and by paying more.

Which store?

Gaming Etc, I think it's sat 11/17, player registration by 11, player meeting @ noon. Guaranteed 2k, scales with attendance ($40 buy in), I believe they did this several months ago and it was a 3.5k @ 140ish players.

It's kind of dumb for me to even be thinking about this because I don't have anyone from VT to go with and I don't know anyone going, but my urge to play legacy is strong.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

The result of the thought experiment, "Sarkhan isn't modern playable, but...". There might be an entirely different build based around dragons, but I'm sure enough that it's worse that I started here.

I played one match against a mardu deck where I landed t1 blood moon game one and then won a grindy game 2 off of garruk/jace, then played against mono U fish and got obliterated in a match where he stumbled on land drops g2 and I had him dead to board when he passed turn t3 (and still might have lost if he'd just had the nuts again as he did in g1/3). I think I needs anger of the gods or blasphemous act + negate for that matchup to be winnable.

I'm going to take some version of this to FNM for a little while. Curious what people might do with it, especially the board (my meta is pretty similar to mtgtop8, spirits is something I usually see in the t4 decks with the others more of a hodgepodge that sometimes includes t2/3 stuff like Gifts decks or U tron or whatever). Scavenging ooze definitely needs to be here in some number.

I'm not convinced this deck is worse than ponza and it has more interactive games with midrange decks. I want to play the control matchup; I've been playing a lot of UW lately and I am fine with this list against it, might not be much better than 50/50 but I think it's at least that.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 14, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

How are you getting turn 1 Blood Moons?

sorry t2 have been drinking (obviously, look at the list I'm trying to play in paid games)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Brownhat posted:

Infect:

Has Force of Will? Check
Potential for extremely unlikely turn 2 kill? Check

Turn 1 if you run the SSG/expedite package

On a serious note I'll probably play infect at a 2k next month because it's the best deck I own besides miracles and even though I'm trying to grind the gently caress out of both decks online, I doubt I can play UW well for 8 rounds. Convince me I'm wrong

What I want to play is Rector Fit or opposition, but...

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 14, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Rapidly running out of poo poo to buylist, though I think in this case I doubled my money on the stuff I did sell (largely on the back of a few things like an Alpha black knight and KLD sol ring). Might get rid of the rest of my masterpieces to get a couple volcs.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

nice, my Maverick pieces showed up today.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Walked posted:

Miracles is so fuckin fun right now

What version are you playing? The vibe I get is that AK builds are better against Grixis but I still see lots of predict/portent lists.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

L0cke17 posted:

Is miracles back to good again? I haven't touched legacy at all really since the top ban.

Yes. 2nd highest meta share on goldfish @ 8%, 8% on mtgtop8, frequently showing up in paper T8s.

What did it's share peak at right before the top ban, 25% or something dumb? 8% seems fine to me, 25 is not.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Walked posted:

I waffle over running the red splash because I have sweet beta Volcs but I personally feel that UW is a little better right now.

I played in DC a couple weeks ago against someone who had spent $10,000 each on two 8.5 graded beta volcs, and then cracked the cases open to play with the cards in ANT :-P

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Walked posted:

But I think I know the guy you played. Some people got fat stacks I guess :shrug:

He was a super nice guy, a great opponent, and pretty humble about his incredibly pimp deck. He told me he bought back into legacy a couple years ago and built a bunch of decks, then after prices ballooned this year, sold most of it to foil & pimp ANT. Sounded like he's in tech management at a huge and very well known tech empire, so yea in that area I would not be shocked if it's a $300K a year job, and if I had that kind of money I might be buying beta volcs too because at some point shoving money into a 401(k) might stop feeling satisfying? It was mainly shocking to me because that deck is worth more than most families see in a year around here (rural Vermont). I got an equal culture shock when I watched some young guys in Georgetown bump the curb trying to parallel park a porsche.

It actually made me a little sad to talk to him so much and then leave and fly home the next day; I don't miss many things about that area, but random encounters with new-to-me cool-seeming MTG players is one of them, our playerbase up here is much more predictable, mostly a lot younger, and a lot smaller.

If you've been playing at Curio and/or Victory, and were doing so between like mid 2014 and late 2016, we probably crossed paths.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

all this spirits talk makes me realize i should sleeve UWr instead of UW tomorrow

:getin:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Also he plays against Creeping Chill Dredge in round 1 and that deck looks real nasty.

I haven't played against this yet so I've just watched one game from the sidelines and read all sorts of nonsense. Do you think it makes dredge too good, or just another broken maybe tier 1 deck among other broken maybe tier 1 decks?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

sometimes being able to chump two turns in a row has been more relevant on Finks than the lifegain has.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

4-0'd a 12 person FNM with GB elves, which I haven't touched in 18 months but jammed a couple clancallers and a side rear end Trophy in.

Just did elf things and got lucky / ran hot so not too much to say, with the exception of a really stupid game against storm where I believe I exiled every card that says 'storm', both PiF as well as most of my creature base with a scavenging ooze over many turns.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

digging this. Saw someone playing esper basics on stream from Eternal Weekend.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

I placed 28th in legacy champs with no karakas lands and i think i was the highest placed lands player? idk but basically gently caress karakas.

Nice, congrats!

I really need to find a decklist for that Dan Miller esper miracles list; I've been playing online with strixes and lilianas, and I may just crib that list wholesale because it is fun and lit.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

But definitely do put back to basics, terminus and Lily the last hope in the same deck because it's lit af

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Just slammed a (modern) grixis delver list together for giggles, might take to FNM this week. I put 2 Nimble Obstructionists in.

I played a (paid queue) test game on MTGO, got paired against storm, lost g1 to a million goblins and won the match with Obstructionist in both cases. This is not irrelevant in my meta, and I think it's a pretty hilarious interaction. Trickbind is too terrible a card to play despite my best efforts, but a 3/1 flash flyer that occasionally does double duty seems fine. Thank god that card doesn't have Spirit on its type line.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 28, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Well, I sure make questionable decisions (with buylist $).

Nothing says "Legacy" like running a $700 downgrade over a $30 bitterblossom in the sideboard.... (of course, this card also has Nyx Fit implications in additional to being the best worst card in my depths sideboard)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Archenteron posted:

Fun-of mainboard that poo poo to make blue decks flip their wig

I definitely will at non-comp REL. Maindecking chains and library for a large event seems dubious (but hilarious).

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Anyone else going to Niagara Falls? I'm locked, got an airbnb (lol Buffalo, nice 3 bedroom apartment to myself in pretty nice spot for $60/night), even managed to trick the bad CFB site into letting me find the event page and register (it might be linked properly by this time. I would hope.)

I'm taking some Depths variant, but I wanna spend a little time grinding some leagues with the BUG version before I lock on a 75. I've spent a lot of time with BG; my impression is that BUG is a little more all-in combo. It's a bad comparison but if the BG deck is jundy then BUG seems more similar to SnS.

Assuming I don't make day 2, I might do some Turbo Town Turbo Depths, but I also have a lot of connections to Buffalo so I might just end up hiking to the eternal flame or something.

suicidesteve posted:

My explanation is that [sultai reclamation] is bad.

When I saw this list I grinned; when I looked at it hard enough to see how it actually wins games, I immediately ordered the $20 or so in cards (plus a Nexus) that I needed to finish it in paper.

I don't really like modern but it's the only non rotating format I have access to. Since I generally end up wishing I was playing something else, I like decks which have a decent chance of making my opponents feel the same way. At a glance, this deck looks more obnoxious to me than mono U turns, and I also think it might be better; it seems very difficult to deal with if it gets Reclamation online, but even if it can't your deck is full of removal and not particularly soft to combo. Without having played it, but watched some streams, it's not clear to me that it's a worse deck than UW.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 26, 2019

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I just played a random MTGO opponent for tickets with that BUG wilderness list, and it ended up being one of the most tense matches I've played in a while. I got paired against G tron; game 1 he just overran me with an early karn that I couldn't recover from.

Game 2 I paced their tempo with growth spirals and remands on their first payoff cards for getting tron online, and then got a wilderness reclamation and managed to take an extra turn, chain a couple teachings, get another reclamation online, and do some generally annoying stuff. He casts Ulamog and kills the reclamations, but I tutor assassin's trophy, blow up tower and then extract it, edit away the Ulamog, and he just scooped from there with 8 minutes on the clock. I punted in this game by not having a stop set on my own end step; I could have chained several turns together before the turn where he cast Ulamog. My kid comes in to say goodnight at some point, letting the weirder of our two cats into the room.

For the second half of game 3 the cat was starting to be real pissed off about wanting to get out of the room, and I didn't want to take ~15 seconds to deal with it, so that was fun. They had an early relic, they crack it when my yard has a bunch of spirals and some counters. I draw my singleton field and kill tower while they're tapped out. They surgical my field which probably made them sad (they missed taking the one in the yard). They TKS me and take a teachings, leaving me with an edict, on their swing the next turn I edict and draw a reclamation, which I am able to play and also play a teachings / teachings with 2 mana up to remand something and then played snapcaster and started beating with snapcaster & tar pit. With under a minute on the clock I figure I should speed it up and so I teachings for a third snap to shave a turn off the clock, and won with ~30 sec left.

This deck is hilarious. Not going to turns with it every match seems quite doable with repetition, but I think I need to goldfish it in paper a whole bunch now that I see what the lines are, because you need to be able to just go go go. It feels like you're making a lot of decisions and it does have that toolbox element, but it seems more straightforward to find the correct play than UWx, because it's actually more proactive.

I wouldn't hate one jace in this deck; Ashiok is also a funny thought, at least for the sideboard, because making their library smaller by 6-12 cards makes the BSZ plan more viable. I did BSZ myself to draw 7 once while leaving cryptic up, which felt great, and is not something I've ever done in modern before. Not losing to an Ulamog is interesting, too.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

C-Euro posted:

I've been watching videos of the deck and playing around with it myself and the 60th card feels like a flex spot, a lot of times I'll see people simply running Hieroglyphic Illumination there and I think the guy who came up with the deck said he tried Search for Azcanta in that slot but ultimately didn't like it. Jace is probably good there but I've been going for the extra spice and running Nissa, Steward of Elements there. Drawing her early is great for fixing your draws and when I've drawn her I've been able to cast her for X > 6 and win the game on the spot.

Deck is fun but pretty hard to play, I definitely think the UGx Growth Spiral + Wilderness Reclamation + instants shell has legs but it feels really unrefined. I've also seen a Bant version pretty close to the BUG version and Caleb just streamed a UG version that runs fewer instants and more Flash creatures along with 4 Tireless Tracker. You could maybe even get away with a RUG version running Expansion//Explosion as a wincon :getin: I hope a pro tries this shell out at a big Modern event sometime because I'd be really curious to see what they come up with.

Horizon Chimera has flash.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

I’m going to Niagara Falls and I don’t know what I’ll be playing, but it will assuredly be bad.
Nice. I'm in BG depths, probably just pure golgari, and negotiating with my LGS owner to get a Tabernacle that's "sleeve playable, I swear" for $300 because it barely survived "The Pickle Incident". He said that once it is removed from sleeves, still reeks of dill.

My plan is to get it, but have Chasm as a backup, and consult with head judge before registering list.

Do you smoke weed? Will probably be bringing some to give away, we have too much

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Walked posted:

So I've been playing an Esper version of Thief of Sanity in legacy for the last week or so and it's been waaaaay overperforming my expectations.

Both in terms of fun per hour spent; and in winrate.

Turns out, generally speaking, most decks run cards that are generally good against their own gameplan. 12post seems to be about the only TRULY bad matchup; there are some rough ones (burn); but everything else feels winnable.

What have your depths matchups been like? I see you have snaps + edict plus one more edict sideboard, and 2 swords, 1 wasteland. So, that's like 6 pieces of interaction, plus 3 stall strixes. Doesn't seem awful by any means, but looking at the list I wouldn't be terrified of the matchup from my side. Basically I have more discard than you have interaction (plus 11 other creatures to sac to an edict), and the only card that thief can hit that does anything is Sylvan Scrying to help you find your own wasteland, which is a 2 of, and Vampire Hexmage has first strike.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 11, 2019

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Valicious posted:

I started building tron as it looks really fun. I have most of the cards bought, but I’m not sure on an exact decklist that features new Karn, Liberated, and Lattice. The last time I played Modern was with Affinity in 2013. Are there any good lists/videos out there right now?

here's where I am in life right now, but I am too cheap to buy OG Karns and Ugins.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

RIP legacy support at any major regular circuit

it was a fun ride

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I'm going to laugh in 3 years when the average modern deck costs three thousand dollars.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

after spending days yelling about the idiot whales who will buy lairs and the ongoing Pokemonification of magic, I realized that the faerie in Bitterblossom is holding an opium poppy and so of course now I have to go be an idiot whale and get the playset, because if there's one thing I take more seriously than making GBS threads on Hasbro it's ethnobotanical references in pop media

also the flavor of losing life every turn to an opioid addiction is great. Given the current US political climate and opiate crisis, I am going with "Hasbro censors don't know what an opium poppy looks like" on this one.

:drugnerd: never a more apt use of this emote :drugnerd:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Happy to see we're in the brief minute of Legacy where people think anything is possible, I lost to a Dragonstorm today :allears:

ilmucche posted:

If deadguy ale wasn't literal thousands I'd be playing it

what's pricey besides scrublands and a chains? I have 1 scrub and a chains, I could see trying a 3-shock version of this.

I'm p sure I am done buying more ABUR duals

HootTheOwl posted:

Can't wait for whatever flavor of xerox is best now.

A delver deck will almost certainly always be tier 1 and a UWx control deck will likewise almost certainly always be tier 1, why is that a problem? I don't have an issue with xerox strategies being strong, my mind breaks when it gets to "well, I guess I just jam Okos into [someDeck] until they loving ban Oko because otherwise I'm shooting myself in the dick"

Legacy players are never happy. If you want to go play a perfectly fine and fun midrange format where xerox is a tier 2, Historic awaits!! (This isn't a dig, I love historic).

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 16, 2021

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I'm hemming and hawing on pulling the trigger on a year of Manatraders, right as Arena gets lit as gently caress with brainstorm and storm and other such fun.

The fact that WoTC is just jamming all that poo poo into Historic at once makes me realize I was wrong about what they want the format to be, power levelwise and mechanically. I will be a bit surprised if we don't get some of this stuff banned, because there's enough coming in that I expect we're going to have at least 1-2 tier 0 decks emerge. Time will tell. I'll be trying to force fetchland esper control, of course. After buying the Japanese alt art cosmetic for Brainstorm.

Meanwhile I'm just going to be a dick and point out that Reserve List Card Illusions Of Grandeur, despite having roughly doubled like everything else, is still below its all time high. Running a TCG buyout on this card would only cost $1800. I offered to split it with a friend, who declined. I made the same offer when we could have bought out Thawing Glaciers at $7 for about $3000; in that case we would have done real well. I'm not doing any of this on my own because I think it's dumb, counterproductive to my beliefs on the reserve list, and generally a waste of money. If I had a couple friends splitting and egging me on I would probably burn the cash and overcome the morality just so I could check "organized and attempted a magic card buyout over the internet" off my bucket list.

to be clear I was very sure that Thawing Glaciers was a very solid bet because the card is absolutely stupid in casual EDH. I am much less certain on this one; it's a unique effect, but it's not a killshot in EDH, and even though Legacy has dicked with it from time to time it's not much of a card.

I'm kinda headfucked by Legacy prices, honestly. If stuff goes up another 25-50% I am going to be in a situation where suddenly I am breaking my basic rule of "do not have more than 15% of net worth in collectables" and I might just sell half of it and pay my mortgage for six months? It hurts my balls to think about doing that, but, money is money and food is food and roofs that are fixed don't leak.

Fetches are never leaving legacy, and DRS isn't coming back unless something gets really FIREd up.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I am gradually gearing up towards paper; I figure it'll be Dec/Jan before I try to do any Legacy things (hopefully LaL), but I could see myself doing modern FNMs again as soon as the fall when our kid is in preschool and we're sort of assuming some level of risk, but also assuming case counts here are going to be lower than they are now because vaccine uptake here has been fantastic.

I'm down my Chains, but back up to 4 cradles for Legacy, and I will just need Dino Bois and a lot, a lot, a lot of relevant recent practice with that deck; I might sell some cardboard to actually buy it on MTGO.

I turned Manatraders back on to start messing with modern. I am just assuming I will end up playing some mix of UW control and some kind of Urza deck, once the meta settles over the next 6-8 weeks, but I also went ahead and ordered a foil borderless playset of Elvish Warmaster, because the card is fairly broken and I want to mess with Elves again in Modern, even if it's still pretty tier 2.5 and likely has some nearly unwinnable matchups. I haven't touched the deck since the early Shaman of the Pack era, but I've played with Warmaster enough in Historic to think it's fairly bonkers and am unsurprised to see it as a 4 of replacing 1-drop dorks in the current modern lists.

Quirion ranger and yavimaya make it a little tempting to tinker with Growing rites; I've been blown out by the card in Historic, and Yavimaya lets you do some dumb stuff. But, maybe just untapping Elvish Archdruid is good enough and Growing Rites is still a trap.