Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Zoness posted:

pretty hosed up if one of the coolest block decks ever can't hack it in an all common format imo.

also i dont think ug madness played mongeese but i honestly dont remember. realistically what im saying is why isnt there a threshold deck gently caress this format.

With threshold you get werebear, without threshold you get angler. The 5/5 wins :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

This list is super tight so I'm not sure what you would even want to remove, although obstinate baloth seems like the weakest link in here (I'm assuming it's a counter for burn?) and something like Worldspine Wurm might be a useful swap as a NO target / hardcastable "worship" type dealie.

Obliterator and Baloth seem like the weakest cards in here by a wide margin as everything else is pretty tightly woven into the engine except for the singleton broodmate, which doesn't have a better replacement that meets the "flies and avoids a single target removal spell" because there isn't anything larger with hexproof that flies.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

empathe posted:

They should 100% be using Unhinged Basics and Expeditions where possible.

Each deck should have a different theme - some should be all foiled expeditions, some should be using revised basics to match their white border duals (are duals white border on MTGO?), one deck should be unglued, one judge promos, etc etc.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Skyl3lazer posted:

Do people bring in Sphere of Resistance against Miracles?

I've brought in Trinispheres against them as Lands but not sphere effects.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
yeah I've wanted to see terminus go away for years. it's retarded to have a wrath at 1 mana.

Top is definitely a busted card, but its brainstorm-level busted. terminus does what it does a lot better than brainstorm does what it does.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Skyl3lazer posted:

A friend reminded me of the greatest match of mtg's history so please enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLK4UYqk8s0

"if you know squee's name"

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Goyf is a really good card in a vacuum but the big hitters in the meta right now all work around it. The best Delver is BURg and has pyro and angler as better critters, Miracles doesn't run goyf, Eldrazi stand up against Goyf really well, etc.

Goyf is just a really great beater. We have another one of those now in Angler, and legacy, with few exceptions, has always demanded that creatures bring a lot more value than power/toughness to the table. The fact that it's gone on so long as The Legacy Creature is testament to how good it is, but he relies on the other 56 cards to make Be a Big Beater good.

Legacy is a format where there are entire decks built around amazing creatures that are bad legacy decks (Nic Fit) so when you say Goyf isn't the best in legacy any more it's not like that's saying goyf is terrible.

Legacy is like 3 good decks (Miracles, Best Delver Variant At The Moment, Rotating Third Option) and 700 terrible decks, and Goyf is still amazing in all but 3 decks at the moment.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

kirtar posted:

Prevents cascade into Living End as well. Or Restore Balance if someone is playing that for some reason.

I played against a restore balance guy with my modern dredge deck that had, at the time, 3 ancient grudge and 3 nature's claim in the sideboard, and G2 was basically me playing a land destruction deck, blowing up borderpost after borderpost every turn while he was stuck on 1 real land.

It was hilarious.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Defense Grid and City of Solitude are basically Duresses that are immune to Flusterstorm, and that you want to play early rather than holding for your critical turn like you do with discard spells.

We ran two D.Grid in our ANT deck's side for a while and against control matchups you would just swap them in for two of the duress effects.

They avoid creature kill that people bring in / keep in for Xantid Swarm and they are very hard to remove as most people do not keep a lot of artifact/enchantment hate in their deck.

I can see City potentially being preferable in the Miracles matchup as they don't have Abrupt Decay and they can't flip into a lot of 3s and they definitely didn't bring/keep Wear//Tear against your 4 LEDs.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

L0cke17 posted:

I have a dilemna. Should I register 4x moat for an upcoming legacy tournament, or 4x chains of mephistopheles? Or try to brew something with both.

Chains doesn't do anything against D&T or Eldrazi.

4x Moat + something for delvers and deathrites, win all day errday.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

Chains stops SoFI and Endbringer.

Are we just being pedantic here or are we pretending this is a reason to run chains against those decks?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

This is the Something Awful internet comedy forums. What do you think?

I feel its a 50/50 split, which is why I was asking.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Kraus posted:

That's dumb reasoning. Skilled players will sucessfully and swiftly complete their stacks. Bad players will get game losses.

This is how you get to play Goblins again, because Terminus isn't going anywhere.

When you're at a 30:1 player:judge ratio tournament (and they don't get better than that, let's be real) and 2/30 players are playing recruiter you're going to completely kill the judge's time.

Terminus should get axed :(

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Kraus posted:

The banned list is for format-warping cards, not for cards that require practice.

Sensei's Divining Top is banned in modern, though?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Rogue0071 posted:

So I am playing Miracles vs TES and my opponent and I just discovered that Rite of Flame produces 0 mana with a Rest in Peace out.

that's a bug, enjoy your free tournament entry fee reimbursement.

It should produce RR

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Rogue0071 posted:

Yeah, we both realized it was a bug. Can I file for comp even though I won the match (possibly because of the bug, not really clear if my opponent could have won that game anyway)?

I've filed for comp on matches I've won that have been bugged to hell. The game is busted regardless as to the winner.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

kizudarake posted:

Isochron scepter to put fogs on

I feel like you could remove 2-3 fogs to add some scepters and also stick like1- 2 lifegain spells in the main (and another in the side), either rest for the weary or whitesun's passage.

Besides burn and Ad Nauseam, there's also a lot of snapcaster / lightning bolt decks that can just dome you for most of it.

Keep in mind that against your opponents, with the howling mine mill plan, they're going to eventually draw all of their enchantment removal, counterspells, etc, so you can't just count on landing a leyline.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Massacre is the best grixis card for clearing the board against DnT. Dread of Night also does a lot of work.

If you want a card that does an OK impression of those but also hits TNN, you use Marsh Casualties.

Deluge is waaaay too expensive, and Virtue's Ruin is a mix of waaaay too expensive and also not as flexible as deluge.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Thisuck posted:

There's also Sulfur Elemental for hilarity sake, Rough // Tumble is also pretty good.

Sulfur Elemental wants your deck to have like a real live mountain in it though. Grixis against DnT is going to be stuck under wastelands, ports, and thalias, so the notion of getting to 3 is going to be hard at best.

It DOES get through their quad stack of wingmares, though!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Has he updated that for monastery mentor? He's had that book written practically since Gush was in standard

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Pontius Pilate posted:

Caleb had a modern league video of his bant spirits brew up on CFB recently and he did quite well. Apparently collected company is a pretty good card?

I layed against this in a 2 man and the loving spell quellers are powerful

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Agentdark posted:

Is grim flayer worth picking up for modern right now?

If you have a deck you want to play it in, sure. It's going to be more expensive now than when it rotates if you're talking about value pickups or something, though. It's not likely to become a modern superstar.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Has anyone tried a Rock deck with grim flayer and new Liliana? They seem like good additions in those colors. The answer is probably no, like usual, but maybe one day straight BG will be good enough. I really want to cast Phyrexian Obliterator one day.

Would new lilly really be better than old lilly in a rock shell?

Obliterator seems like the only card you really get going GB over Jund, and you lose a lot of awesome cards like Kolahan's Command and a great man-land.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Geralf's Messenger is actually a good gB pickup too that you don't get in Jund.

I think the rock deck will exist when there's enough heavy B or heavy G cards that cutting the third color makes more sense.

I don't think Mindbender is very good because it's only powerful on curve, it sucks as a top deck and in this kind of rock deck you want a lot of ability to grind or earn extra cards.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Cinder Glade is totally awesome in Titan Breach and I cannot the battle lands are good in any other deck that isn't counting numbers of a basic land, and Emeria the Sky Ruin just isn't that good.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I think it would be very viable in a miracles-heavy format as something you can drop turn 1 and then just kill them with and it doesn't die to StP. Against most other decks I think most of the regular spells are just better.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Rogue0071 posted:

The problem with this is that Miracles is already bringing in wear//tear for Vortex, Eidolon, and random SB cards. A lot of EEs around right now too. Also as a 1 drop it is really bad vs established countertop if you don't have it in your opener. Really for the Miracles matchup with burn you just want 4 firecrafts and try to knock your opponent low enough before they get cb/top to finish them off with them.

My anti-miracles choice is still vexing shusher over firecraft but I also don't play burn very often and haven't updated my list in a while.

I think the card would be useful because it gets down before they get CB in a miracles heavy environment, but I'm also talking about a miracles heavy environment to the point where you're significantly altering your maindeck to deal with it.

For a while miracles was like 50% of the local meta and I had a lot of 12 post success as a result, so that's what I'm talking about when I say miracles heavy, not just the usual representation. In those sorts of scenarios you're going to have maindeck vortices and probably some number of firecrafts somewhere and in that case scroll might be good.

The only deck scroll really has a strong presence in though is Pox, and Pox is bad.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Buy power because then you can play any vintage deck for like $20 and its going to hold its price better than legacy staples and you are already playing legacy with 2 different decks.

It is both the most financially sound and play-diverse purchase you can make.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Fingers McLongDong posted:

A friend and I were talking about getting to play more legacy again, so I figured I'd browse around for ideas to update my junk maverick deck. Why is Garruk Relentless suddenly showing up so much in maverick decks? It's in a lot of maindecks and often in the sideboard if not. I've been away from legacy for a while and haven't actually played since eldrazi was a thing.

I'm liking the inclusion of the handful of tireless trackers, and it's neat to see that Thalia, Heretic Cathar is way better in legacy than modern.

Miracles can't really interact with it and it kills all the random bears in the format.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Elyv posted:

What are you commandeering in modern, become Immense?

their search for tomorrow so you can ramp to gearhulk

I don't get why that gifts pile has quicken

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Jabor posted:

commandeer isn't very good when played at sorcery speed

wat

Molybdenum posted:

So you can play unburial rites at instant speed if they put the gear hulk in your graveyard.

Oh this makes sense, thanks!

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Winter Orb is just magical.
:allears:

I won this game, maybe 10 turns later?

what the gently caress are you playing?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

what happened here

The judge thought the player mentioning that he can search for an instant or interrupt was asking for the oracle text and the judge provided it, the player admitted that he didn't know it could find a sorcery because WHO THE gently caress WANTS TO READ THEIR CARDS WHEN THEY SPEND/BORROW $10k on a deck?

Opponent complained it was outside information (which it was, albeit accidental) so head judge said "it functions as you thought it did" so he couldn't search tinker to blightsteel, which was what the opponent thought he was going to do, but tinker couldn't do that anyways since blightsteel was in the bad player's hand.

The bad player also threw the game away prior to casting this and lost, because it turns out magic is hard when you don't know what the gently caress your deck does.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

TheTofuShop posted:

I sure hope people will stop complaining about affinity after gpdfw. it's my only modern deck aside from Burn. :ohdear:

People will never stop complaining about good decks.

Just point them towards shatterstorm and stony silence.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

EvilBeard posted:

I loved it back in the old Valakut (standard) days, so I thought I'd throw it in. I'm just testing it, so we'll see if I want to add a second Scapeshift or Emrakul. Generally either one is game over.

Having played a poo poo-ton of RG Breach, I would suggest the following things:

Emrakul is amazing not because he's a big bad that wins the game, but because he's a big bad that wins the game through a lot of hate. He kills Leyline effects and Bloodmoon effects.

You have 12 mountains, 2 forests, and 4 valakuts. If you ramp up to 7 lands without using forests (you don't ever want to find them unless there's a moon-type concern) or valakuts, you cannot scapeshift any longer, as you only have 5 fetchable mountains. This gets even worse if you have lands in the hand.

Simian Spirit Guide is only good for casting a ramp spell on T1. Your deck wants lands, not just ramp, and it naturally goes T2->4, T3->6, T4->Win. It also goes T1 Search, T2->3, T3 5 with breach. Simian spirit guide allows you to pretend that you're doing that T3 win with a different ramp spell, but is otherwise useless and not speeding up your clock in comparison to another land ramp spell.

Urabrask is spicy but the deck doesn't land on 5s often. With simian spirit guide you might?

6 "interaction" spells is about the absolute max this deck wants in the main, and you've got 3 bolts, 2 anger, and 1 courser. Consider shifting this mix up based on your meta. I run one fewer anger and an extra courser

Consistency is really key - I went up to 2 Summoning Traps and 3 emrakuls in my deck in the main. You only have 9 win conditions in your deck and one of them is a combo of breach+emrakul, one requires 7 lands, and 3 are summoners pacts, I wound up with 12 with my mix.

On the sideboard:

Spellskite seems really bad. You are either winning or they're pathing your guy and taking 6 damage / losing two creatures off the mountain from path. There's not much point in saving your primetime by taking a whole turn off of ramp.

Destructive Revelry - again, I avoid this entirely by relying on 3 emrakuls and annihilator 6's ability to clean up pretty much everything. 2 damage is pretty worthless, I would consider something easier to cast. You deal damage in chunks of 18 and the decks that aren't taking 2 off their manabase are decks you go long against.

Thragtusk - I prefer Obstinate Baloth as he hits turn 3 very consistently. Turn 4 for Thragtusk means they can easily have a skullcrack/command up and blank this. Baloth doesn't die to bolt, either, which is the chief benefit of the 3/3 off Thraggy - going T3 Baloth, gaining 4 to blank a burn spell, and then trading with bolt+critter or double bolt is better than going T4 to just gain 5 life and trade with double bolt in a lot of cases, imho.

Have fun regardless, emrakul and primetime are the most fun things you can do in magic that don't involve producing 10+ mana in a turn.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Elyv posted:

If you're willing to spend way the gently caress too much money Grim Tutor is a better card
also if you're willing to spend a bunch of money this deck seems like a solid home for liliana of the veil

I think that when you're mentioning the deck costs $300 it's because you're not looking to purchase a single card that costs $250.

I feel like a singleton buried alive would to a lot of work here, especially if you find yourself tutoring for a creature or entomb often.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I don't see why Duress would be considered a budget choice in that deck. You've already got 4 Thoughtseize and 4 CoBru, you want more 1 drop discard and the only other card that is arguably better is cabal therapy, but cabal therapy is typically strongest when you are trying to grab a specific card to go off on a specific turn, whereas the high quantity of discard here is really to grind them out. While it may have flashback potential off a grave titan, that's basically win-more.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Errant Gin Monks posted:

alright im done with Miracles. I own all the peices for it finally so it's being retired for now. Im playing Jund today at the tourney for a mox.

the new question is... finish Lands or finish Shardless. They would both cost about the same.

caveat: im not buying a loving tabernacle

Shardless. Budget lands isn't a deck worth finishing.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Errant Gin Monks posted:

it wouldnt be budget per se, just no tabernacle. The card isnt worth it to me for that kind of cash.

It wouldn't be budget miracles per se, just no force of will.

It wouldn't be budget reanimator per se, just no reanimate.

It wouldn't be budget Shardless, just no tarmogoyf.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Grim Flayer is very legacy playable.

What deck is running them? I've not been paying attention to legacy in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Taxing an infernal tutor for 2 is still useful a lot of the times - there are times when they've got a million mana and you're just hosed whatever, but there are plenty of times where they're cracking a tutor with exactsies up for their line of play.