Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

L0cke17 posted:

Casting it off omniscience doesnt count.

Well I cast mine using a Serra's Sanctum so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Don't know if anyone else cares about GW hatebears, but I'm thinking Renegade Rallier could take up a slot or 2 in the deck. 3 cmc is the sweet spot in that deck but his ability to get back ghost quarters and about 40% of the decks creatures seems nuts. Resto angel, displacer, and flickerwisp blinking him means free GQ or horizon canopy, which is the kind of grindy value that deck wants.

Also saw it suggested that he combos with Saffi Eriksdotter, but aside from being hit by collected company it's nothing reveillark didn't already do. You'd either have to play a 4 card creature based combo or use blasting station to win, and those options don't seem better than the normal Melira/anafenza options.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You can evolve a bird into this guy if Saffi is in play and you have a sac outlet. So the combo is easier to set up. I am buying 4 to see how many I will need in my Naya toolbox deck.

Right, but a sac outlet by itself does nothing unless that sac outlet is blasting station (which can't be chord/evolved/companied into). Yeah, viscera seer can scry into a wincon, but oherwise it's a 4 card combo which makes it inherently weaker than the 3 card combos you can tutor and company your way into.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Anyone have a good modern esper narset list?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Molybdenum posted:

https://deckbox.org/sets/1606353

If you have the cards

Mainboard
-1 seachrome coast
+1 mystic gate

Sideboard
-1 blood baron
+1 baneslayer angel

Cool. Any tournament reports or good/bad things to say about it? I just need snaps to build it. Have you tried the non-walker build for comparison?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Mezzanon posted:

I brought Bogles to GP van two years ago and went 5-4. I think it's slightly better positioned right now? I'm expecting, jund and junk and grixis. With people meta-ing tron to counter that. And assumedly people going affinity to counter tron.

Bogles and spirits are both not great against tron.

New spirits tech is bant instead of U/W which means gavony township and green lands instead of utility lands. 1x steel of the godhead seems like the max (if that).

Bogles seems great against push decks, especially if people are running a split on Lily of the veil vs last hope. Bant spirits has Kira, wanderer, lords, queller, and rattlechains.

I'll probably just build both and see what I can do.

Is maelstrom pulse still popular in G/x lists?

Any Liliana split is 3/1, if they play last hope at all. I think Spirits has a lot more game against tron than bogles just because it can play at instant speed so you can hold up your Companies and flash guys if you predict an Ugin or queller an o-stone. Don't know what the affinity matchup feels like though. Tron and ad naus seem popular right now and GBx decks are very high in percentage, and most do run a single maelstrom pulse.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Went 3-1 at modern with esper walkers. I dunno if the deck is good enough to have legs but it's super fun to play. Lost to eldrazi tron because they kept ripping reality smashers off the top even after I thoughtseize or kill the first 2. Beat 2 infect variants and mardu midrange. Went 3-1 last week too, beating affinity, grixis control, and something else I forgot, losing to gw tron.

Been playing with 24 lands with 4 serum visions but still get stuck on 3 sometimes, maybe should go up to 25 lands since I want to hit 4/5 lands pretty consistently. Most games it isn't a problem though.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Esper Walkers:

4 Serum Vision
4 Lingering Souls
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Thoughtseize
1 Collective Brutality
1 Supreme Verdict

3 Path to Exile
3 Fatal Push
2 Esper Charm
1 Blessed Alliance

3 Snapcaster Mage
1 Tasigur, the Golden Fang

2 Narset Transcendant
2 Gideon Jura
2 Liliana, the Last Hope
1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

3 Polluted Delta
3 Flooded Strand
1 Marsh Flats
2 Shambling Vent
2 Creeping Tar Pit
2 Hallowed Fountain
1 Water Grave
1 Godless Shrine
1 Darkslick Shores
1 Concealed Courtyard
2 Ghost Quarter
2 Island
2 Plains
1 Swamp

SB:

1 Disenchant
1 Geist of St. Traft
1 Wrath of God
1 Supreme Verdict
1 Timely Reinforcements
1 Baneslayer Angel
1 Vendilion Clique
2 Lost Legacy
2 Surgical Extraction
2 Countersquall
2 Runed Halo

Overall the deck is really flexible in terms of what you want to play. If you don't like the 7 walkers I listed, pick 7 of your own. I've seen some lists online with 4 LotV, some with none. 2 Narset seems good and Gideon has been great almost every game so I'm happy with 2 there. The Sorin is a flex spot I have been testing but in 8 rounds I've never actually gotten to play him. The 2 Last Hope have been AMAZING and the only time I take them out is against tron decks. I've seen is suggested elsewhere to use Gideon, Ally of Zendikar, which may well just be better than Sorin, I just happen to be a big fan of Sorin's ultimate and his ability to stabilize your life total combined with lingering souls. Ultimately you want to kinda lock the game down a bit using the walkers and building to ultimates so Sorin seemed better with that theory in mind. The single blessed alliance and Collective Brutality have both been great and I wouldn't touch them, personally. Tasigur is also optional but he's been good every time I drew him. I've seen 1-3 supreme verdicts in other esper decks depending on the build but it seems like a meta call and 1 has been fine for me.

Sideboard is also flexibile. The lost legacy are actually in there because someone else is borrowing geists from me and I wanted to see how they'd work. I got to rebound legacy with narset against tron once and it felt great, I think they're pretty good if you expect a lot of tron or combo. Surgical and countersquall don't seem like they can be cut, same with clique. Haven't gotten to drop baneslayer yet. The wrath/verdict is probably flexible depending on what you expect, you can always put a second verdict in the main to free up a spot.

Deck is super fun and getting to play gideon and narset is awesome. Killing things one by one until you can drop a narset they can't deal with is awesome. I've won a couple of games by grinding out a narset ultimate and other fair decks without a maelstrom pulse in hand have a really hard time killing such high loyalty planeswalkers.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I dunno, I've really liked the Narset. Could just be a meta thing but she's slammed some games shut that were otherwise neck and neck. Gideon AoZ is pretty good though and I could see running him, I've seen some lists not run OG Gids at all in favor of AoZ. I just really wanted to test these other walkers and they've worked well. I almost ran Elspeth KE over Sorin and might still. Old gideon is just so difficult for midrange decks to deal with and there's a good number of them around here.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Went 5-2 playing abzan company at a modern IQ yesterday and tiebreakers put me 9th out of 66 :(

Deck still seems pretty good. Played merfolk twice, jund, affinity, burn, blue tron and gw tron. There was a weird number of traditional jund decks there and a pretty good number of eldrazi tron and G/x tron there too. Lost to jund and affinity, played well all day except making 2 big back to back punts against affinity that cost me the game. Might do a writeup later if anyone cares.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Abzan Company IQ trip report:

Round 1: Loss 0-2 to Jund. This kid seemed pretty young (20 at most), and was friendly enough. Started off the conversation by asking what tournaments I go to and friendly-bragging that he got second at an SCG Open recently, can't remember which. Not much of note happened here but both games mainly consisted of him having dark confidant and scavenging ooze and me having no way to deal with it. Maindeck I only have 1 fiend hunter and couldn't contest his t2 bob at all. He dropped and ooze and we played a long game 1 but eventually I ran out of gas and lost to his card advantage. Game 2 the same thing happened except he saw 3 dark confidants and I was only able to deal with three while also battling another scavenging ooze and I simply lost to jund doing jund things while I couldn't stop it. I boarded in 2 path, 2 decay, and 1 maelstrom pulse but it wasn't enough. Matchup seems somewhat difficult if they don't hit t2 bob but you're just going to lose games where people are drawing 2-3 cards per turn to your 1, even with company. Possible I should have looked more aggressively for one of the tireless trackers.

Round 2: Win 2-0 vs Merfolk. Had to play my friend that I drove down with. Merfolk seems like a very winable matchup. Game 1 I had 2 different mana dorks so his 2 spreading seas couldn't do enough. His hand also wasn't aggro enough but neither was mine. He was keeping his vial on 2 to use a harbinger of the tides to bounce my anafenza if I tried to chord for the combo and buy a turn. At the end of each turn he was activating his vial whether he had something or not, which is a trick I use when I play hatebears. I eventually had out a viscera seer and anafenza along with 2 hierarchs and had a chord in hand. I wanted him to tap the vial for 2 so I could chord and combo in response, so I just said "end step?", he takes the bait, and I gain infinite life. He later told me he tapped the vial out of habit but didn't actually mean to because he was holding harbinger. Game 2 I board out 2 tracker 2 voice and I think 1 melira, bring in 2 path, 2 decay, 1 qasali pridemage. We play a long game where he doesn't draw any gas except for a could of non-lords, I end up with a bunch of mana dorks and maybe 1 finks. We both draw terribly but eventually I draw a company, get some power on the board, use prowess triggers to put counters on a bird of paradise, and eventually find a gavony township to simply overpower him. He ends the game with something like 8 out of 20 lands in play and not much to show for it.

Round 3: Win 2-0 vs Burn. Easiest win of the day, seems like a freebie unless you just mulligan badly. I play 4 maindeck kitchen finks and a scavenging ooze, along with spike feeder and archangel of thune. Honestly not much to say here. He gets me to around 8 but I combo off with finks/melira/seer on turn 4, and game 2 I draw the total nut and combo off on turn 3. Turn 1 land, hierarch, turn 2 land and finks, turn 3 land, viscera seer, chord for anafenza. Not much to say, I think I boarded in Burrenton Forge-tender and pridemage, took out both tireless trackers.

Round 4: Win 2-1 vs Blue Tron. Very friendly opponent who was excited to be doing well at his first modern event, and with blue tron of all things. He had a good attitude and that made playing him all the more pleasant. Game 1 he's on the draw and shows a gemstone cavern, exiling an expedition map. Turn 2, he plays a tronland and is able to remand my t2 play. Turn 3, second tron land into map, turn 4 wurmcoil, turn 5 ugin, and I scoop. Board in 3 fulminator mage, qasali pridemage, sin collector, 2 tidehollow sculler. I've learned against all tron decks to go bare minimum on combo stuff and just try to be aggressive and find as many fulminators as you can. I board out both melira, 1 seer, 1 anafenza, 2 finks, and a wall of roots. Opening hand doesn't have a fulminator but does have some ramp, a chord and an eternal witness, so I keep. Turn 1 bird, turn 2 draw fulminator and kill a tronland, turn 3 play tidehollow sculler and pridemage, turn 4 eternal witness, get fulminator back, beat down with 2/2's, turn 5 reuse fulminator, he draws for his turn and scoops. Game 3 was a little bit more drawn out; turn turn 2 he plays a chalice on 1, repeals my only mana dork after that, I get down a sculler and a witness so I can keep hitting land drops while holding 3 mana dorks in my hand. Try to play them into the chalice every so often but he catches them all. Find an early fulminator with chord, he can't find the third piece by the time I use witness to get it back and recast it. He scoops and shows me a hand full of every wincon in the deck, so the game really could've gone either way.

Round 5: Lost 0-2 to affinity. Game 1 was at least interesting and he had a solid game of beatdowns but he gained enough life from an early skirge+plating that got fiend huntered that I can't kill him before he finds an ornithopter to attach plating to and finish me off. Game 2 I mulliganed to 6 and kept a hand that was poo poo but had a white source and a path, with a ton of potential if I can just find 1 of 17 green lands... I never do. I actually could have bought myself 2 more turns to find that green mana if I'd pathed his steel overseer when I had the chance but I got caught up in my own frustrations and hosed that up, not realizing until after. Shouldn't have kept the 6, and when I did I should've made better use of my path, so I deserved my loss. Feels bad losing that way but have no one but myself to blame.

Round 6: Win 2-1 vs Gw Tron. Decided I had a chance at tiebreakers to still top 8 if I win out so I keep playing. I have no idea how I've managed to beat tron twice today, but I did. Goes similar to when I played blue tron; He had tron only on turn 4, my hand isn't aggressive and he blows up the board with an O-Stone. Turn 5 drops an Ulamog, exiles some lands. I don't draw the fiend hunter, it isn't exiled with the ulamog attack but I don't draw it again so I scoop. Board the same as I did against blue tron; combo stuff out, fulms in, scullers and pridemage in. I didn't bring in sin collector this time since they have so many fewer instants and sorceries. Games 2 and 3 are almost identical. Turn 2 fulminators, eternal witnesses to get them back, tidehollow scullers and generally a 2/2 beatdown before they can recover. I'm extremely pleased with the fact I've been tron variants twice today.

Round 7: Win 2-1 vs Merfolk. This again. Game 1 is very routine; birds into finks, he taps out turn 3 so I mainphase company and do it again the following turn. Combo off with seer/finks/anafenza on turn 5 gaining infinite life, he makes me play it out so I scry melira to the top and then put infinite bolster triggers on the stack and kill him. Board the same as I did against merfolk earlier. We have a little back and forth but eventually he cuts me off of double white with spreading seas while I have fiend hunter in hand. He kills me with 2 meerow rejerey out and a master of waves that I can't do anything about since fiend hunter is stranded in hand. Game 3 I have a path and a decay along with a few small dudes. I essentially out-tempo him and he's stuck on 3 lands, one of which is mutavault so he struggles to only play 1 thing per turn. At a certain point he only has a Lord of Atlantis and a cursecatcher out along with a relic of progenitus, while I have a 3/3 ooze, finks, and hierarch. I only have 4 mana but already have him to 6, so I cast a company into the cursecatcher, knowing if he sacs it that he is forced to block with the Lord and will have no creatures. He does so, trades with finks, forgets to activate relic, and I win next turn. Saccing relic wouldn't have let him win but it would've bought him a turn, although I think he was still too far behind to win.

All in all, a good day. Sucks to drive 90 minutes just to get 9th in the breakers, but it happens. I was really happy with the sideboard overall, although I wasn't sure about some maindeck choices. I decided to play 2 voice of resurgence because I was expecting there to be more deaths shadow and I like voice in grindy matches but I only played jund once and didn't see one. I also decided to play 2 tireless tracker for the same reason, plus I love that card and it's been great, but by adding the voices I forgot I was going down to 22 lands with 9 fetches. I need to cut the 2 voices for a 3rd viscera seer and a 10th fetch for the tracker. I didn't get to use Archangel/Feeder combo a single time today, but I think it's still correct to play it over redcap right now. There's a lot of graveyard hate out there right now because of shadow, so having a non-graveyard combo feels like a really good idea and there weren't any games where redcap would have won that finks didn't.

Might stick with the deck for a while, it seems pretty decent right now. Does require some practice to play but I think I'm getting better with it and it's actually a super fun deck.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Cool thing that happened with esper walkers: snap dies to my own wrath. Liliana, the Last Hope -2 a few turns later to get back snap and then cast snap to flashback wrath. Snaps back in the yard to be rebought by LLH again a couple turns later. Value!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Yeah tasigur is good in multiples when you have thought scour. He's ok as a singleton without. I'll also disagree slightly above colonade being better than all other UWx manlands just because there's an argument for creeping tar pit, it's just usually harder to use since a lot of control decks are primarily UW.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

Yeah, for better worse Modern is really wide open right now though locally I'm starting to see a slight narrowing around Death's Shadow. This makes control, where you need to understand the opposing deck, a tougher thing to pilot.

Creeping Tar Pit is only a step behind (I'm putting those in my own Esper Walkers deck because I'm too cheap for Colonnades :lol:) but flying might as well be unblockable in some matchups, plus 4 toughness puts it out of Bolt range. It's also bigger than any flying creature that sees regular play in Modern, and survives combat with them. The only time where I would definitely want Tar Pit instead is if you have a lot of Lingering Souls in your meta, but even then Colonnade has vigilance so it getting chump blocked is a little less painful.

I actually have both manlands and prefer tar pit in my esper walkers build. 2 mana cheaper to activate is a big difference in a tapout style control deck and I think they're a little better against walkers, at least against tron since Worldbreaker can't get in the way. I really think it comes down to how many UW lands you need though. Colonades are better overall I think because the decks they fit in more are just better than the other options, along with the points you made.

I still love me a stirring wildwood though, what do I know!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

L0cke17 posted:

As far as Colonnade vs Tar pit goes in my esper draw-go control list I'm currently playing 2/2 Pits/Colonnades. I have found that I often would rather have pit than colonnade, so I'm thinking of swapping over to 3/1 or even 4/0. Fatal push really pushed the list towards more black mana, and the only WW card in the deck is verdict.

I'm actually doing 2 pit/2 vent in esper tapout, but it's honestly a BW control deck with a blue splash for snap, visions, and narset. Shambling vent is far and away the best manland to come out of the second half of that cycle, abzan lists mostly run 2 now. Manlands are the best.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

uninverted posted:

My FNM with abzan company went really well. I won against everything but tron with grafdigger's cage and ended up in third. I tried a build with four renegade ralliers and I'm never leaving home without them again. You can drop the wall of roots because you can get all the mana you need by rebuying fetchlands with rallier. It leaves you more dense on action but still very fast, not to mention the backup Saffi Eiriksdotter combo they enable.

I actually cut all the Ralliers from my build. Tried 3 rallier/1 saffi and didn't like it, then cut rallier one by one as weeks went on. I played with 1 at a 2k and it was alright but I had several times where it was a no-value 3/2, especially when I companied into it and didn't have anything to sac before company was cast. Currently using a 3rd eternal witness instead and I think I like it more personally, but abzan coco lists are so flexible I don't think it's wrong either way, I do think rallier is pretty good if you're on a version with Voice but I'm also on no voices currently.

I'm also trying no walls after looking at a few recent top-placing lists in favor of playing 4 nobles instead of 3, I think being able to go wider against shadow decks seems pretty good. Can't decide what I like better though.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Looking at a lot of abzan midrange sideboards and seeing 2 Gideon AoZ in there. I used to run 1 in the side and it was great but is there any merit to running something like 1 Gideon and 1 Elspeth KE or Garruk Relentless instead of 2 Gids? Or is the common consensus that Gideon is good enough that it's worth running 2 and doubling up vs having 2 different walkers on board.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Star Man posted:

Every time I watch a series of Modern matches with a deck that uses Mishra's Bauble, I always wish it could be a Spellbomb instead. If it weren't for that fuckin zero, I bet it would be.

That and it replacing itself for free, which spellbomb can't. I've been looking at abzan midrange decklists online lately and seeing a lot with 1-2 spellbomb main though.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Doublepostin but I was just looking at the bizarre results from the modern classic last weekend. Top 8 is some normal looking decks except the UB fairies deck and then the Mono-Black zombies deck. It lists 4 gifted aetherborn, don't know if that's right or it got played to give extra devotion for the single grey merchant and block goyfs. A second fairies deck in top 16 and the hardened scales affinity deck that's been discussed here as well.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Nice job! I'm curious, why do you want war monk vs jund? I'd probably have done 2 rip 2 geist after boarding, Liliana seems bad for killing geist when you have that many creatures and rip/path mean goyfs don't do a good job stopping it. Isn't monk just open to more removal?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Yeah the matchup seems fine for you regardless. I guess I don't like war monk there because it turns on decay/terminate/pulse and I imagine the average goyf being 4/5. Seems to have worked on for you though! How were the leagues structured? When we do leagues here it lasts a month, play when you can, and is a point system. Sometimes worse players do ok in league because they can show up more than others and we don't have any kind of tournament at the end.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Enchantress is a prison deck that usually runs 1 enlightened tutor, does that count?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

does it? i thought sterling grove was the tutor of choice

e: maybe if i would have stopped and thought a little bit i could have come up with some scenarios where you want E tutor, like if your win con is Helm, or you have any other hateful artifact in the board

It's been forever since I got to pull it out but I always ran 1 enlightened tutor and 2 sterling grove, and I always ran 1 Emrakul and 2 RiP/1 helm as win cons. Don't always want to pop your groves and grove can get needled/revoker'd so it was nice having another option.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
New version of abzan company with druid/vizier combo, duskwatch recruiter and walking ballista feels really good, like an actual improvement. Haven't gotten to test Rhonas over ballista, but the utility of ballista feels like a worthwhile tradeoff for not being a company hit (unless you also hit eternal witness, kinda). I was definitely comboing off more consistently tonight since there are now more easy to use combo bits in the deck. Recruiter also felt pretty decent, every time I played one it ate a removal spell but usually got me a card first and you can hit it with rallier. Beat esper control, merfolk, and bw tokens, lost in 3 to bant eldrazi. Eldrazi player had a nut draw game 3 with 2 TKS and 2 smasher, drawing a 3rd TKS. I had turn 3 win in hand but it got stripped by seers. Going to continue testing but it feels good. Also tried out a new SB this week that felt pretty good. New list:

3 Noble Hierarch
3 Birds of Paradise
3 Viscera Seer
3 Duskwatch Recruiter
3 Vizier of Remedies
2 Devoted Druid
4 Kitchen Finks
2 Eternal Witness
1 Walking Ballista
1 Renegade Rallier
1 Anafenza, Kin-tree Spirit
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Tireless Tracker
1 Selfless Spirit
1 Fiend Hunter

4 Collected Company
4 Chord of Calling

4 Windswept Heath
4 Verdant Catacombs
1 Marsh Flats
2 Temple Garden
2 Overgrown Tomb
1 Godless Shrine
1 Horizon Canopy
1 Razorverge Thicket
2 Gavony Township
2 Forest
1 Plains
1 Swamp

3 Fulminator Mage
2 Sin Collector
1 Kataki, War's Wage
1 Burrenton Forge-tender
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Orzhov Pontiff
1 Phyrexian Revoker
1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
2 Path to Exile
1 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Worship

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Walked posted:

I'm on a very, very similar list and also really liking it. I'm leaning 2 Duskwatch / 3 Druid though.Mainly because Druid can help ramp you into a T3 Collected Company in a pinch.

Yeah I wanted to make sure I had at least 8 dorks still but I don't think your split is wrong either. Not sure if 3 Duskwatch is necessary although they were pretty good last night. I learned last night that druid is super cool and tricky to use, especially when you have an Anafenza out or a Gavony township. Anafenza bolstering let's you make a lot of mana. Let me know what kinda results you have, I'm probably going to test this all the way into the modern open in June.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Walked posted:

I'm doing the SCG Baltimore later this month and may bring this general list. Pm me if interested in doing some testing on cockatrice​! Really want to mail it down

I will if I ever have time, this month is the busiest of the year for me unfortunately. What's your current sideboard like? I changed about 5 cards last night but didn't get to test them all, pretty happy with it overall though.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

L0cke17 posted:

Would it not be better to stick to a purely white win-con? Something like the white theros god who will never be a creature, but makes creatures for you with your excess mana? And who cares if they kill 1 token, or even a few. Youve already got elspeth tokens. Or something like Luminarch Ascension, which should be live relatively fast. Or even Metallurgic Summonings :swoon: That would be amazing. If you want to splash red instead of green you get the best token producing non-creature, Assemble the Legion, and it only requires 1 red, not the effective GG your manland does.

Usually a white mana-dump wincon is white suns zenith. Efficient and better in decks that don't tap out.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I actually added selfless spirit to help my tron matchup to give me insurance vs o stone, it forces them to find Ugin instead which is beatable with instant speed interaction. I really want to test Rhonas vs walking ballista but I was pretty impressed with ballista last week. I assumed rhonas would be better but ballista can't be pathed or hit by karn/ugin.

Agreed about the deck being more consistent and faster, I wasn't running as much new combo as you but I really think being able to use the new combo has taken the deck up a little bit.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Don't play abzan company unless you have time to grind out reps. If you don't want to play a shadow deck then I'll second the eldrazi tron recommendation, it's a very good deck. I'm always down for a goon report on UW control, even if it isn't the best.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Fingers McLongDong posted:

3 Noble Hierarch
3 Birds of Paradise
3 Viscera Seer
3 Duskwatch Recruiter
3 Vizier of Remedies
2 Devoted Druid
4 Kitchen Finks
2 Eternal Witness
1 Walking Ballista
1 Renegade Rallier
1 Anafenza, Kin-tree Spirit
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Tireless Tracker
1 Selfless Spirit
1 Fiend Hunter

4 Collected Company
4 Chord of Calling

4 Windswept Heath
4 Verdant Catacombs
1 Marsh Flats
2 Temple Garden
2 Overgrown Tomb
1 Godless Shrine
1 Horizon Canopy
1 Razorverge Thicket
2 Gavony Township
2 Forest
1 Plains
1 Swamp

3 Fulminator Mage
2 Sin Collector
1 Kataki, War's Wage
1 Burrenton Forge-tender
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Orzhov Pontiff
1 Phyrexian Revoker
1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
2 Path to Exile
1 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Worship

My current list from a couple pages ago. Havent gotten to play it in a week and a half. Another goon was saying he likes 3 druid/2 recruiter, both seem good. Deck is good and fun and new combo makes it better than before.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Have you tried a single ballista? It's much easier to go off with when you have infinite mana and is a great value singleton.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

uninverted posted:

It's completely reasonable to run a ballista instead of the second recruiter, but I think recruiter is a slightly better card when you're not combo-ing and the times when it makes a difference to the combo are very fringe. With the build I posted, you can use the tireless trackers and courser of kruphix to draw anti-hate cards you put on top of your deck postboard (like abrupt decay) when you have infinite mana and recruiter, so winning through rest in peace or similar isn't an issue.

I run multiple recruiters along with a ballista. Finding any when you have mana is an instant win. Recruiter finds ballista, after all, and ballista gives you a non-graveyard way to combo win. Same reasoning people ran thune/feeder combo before.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Walked posted:

So I've been busting my butt on Abzan Company Combo for SCG Baltimore next weekend. I think I've found something close to the optimal build; right now I'm 9-1 across two Comp League runs today on this build.

Really, really feels solid. The lines of play and level of redundancy is simply nuts. It's resilient to discard; has multiple lines to get to the combo finish, and can grind with the best of them.

It feels like it's got play against the entire meta; no match feels like an instant loss. It can slide into midrange / grind, and threatens a combo finish at every turn. It's not hit by incidental GY hate for dredge. Deck simply feels really, really solid.

Have you changed much since we were discussing in here a couple weeks ago? I know I went down to 2 recruiter and up to 3 druid and liked it better, which I think was your suggestion. The only thing I've lost to in 8 rounds over the last 2 weeks was dredge, partially because I think I boarded wrong. I tried to board in a few single answers like path when really i think the answer is to aggressively look for combo .

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Walked posted:

I've found ballista not to be ideal. Can't Chord or hit off CoCo which is a big deal. I'm running Rhonas with a red splash for Kessig Wolf Run as plan b/c.

Full list and write up tonight

I've had opposite reactions to ballista, weirdly enough. I'm used to having at least one creature that can't be hit by company (archangel or redcap) but it's usually easy enough to find an e-wit to get ballista back with. Plus I've had a bunch of games where ballista was played for value. Maybe the number of path to exile at my store scared me off rhonas.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
The single knight is cool. Lots of games are won with township. I don't know if you can actually cut the Anafenza from main- vizier+seer+finks gives infinite life and scrys but doesn't necessarily win the game. Scrying Anafenza to the top means infinite bolster triggers to close things out for games where Rhonas isn't an option.

I'll be interested to read a full report on Baltimore if you do one. I'm mostly happy with my list but I like comparing results. Coco decks always seem different from person to person.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Other company players: I've seen Dusk//Dawn suggested for the sideboard, has anyone tried it? Seems like a huge slam dunk against something like jund shadow or eldrazi decks. Don't know if it's just being cute or not though and I'm low on testing time.

I'm also seeing people discussing the idea that straight GW might be better than abzan, cutting out the seer/finks combo. In theory I guess it's a little more consistent since it has room for renegade ralliers but I don't see how it can be significant numbers more consistent. I also like that abzan has multiple combos and ways of winning in case druid gets shut down and has black sideboard options.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

myDad posted:

Has anyone else on GWx Collected Company faced Elves or Ponza? Curious what some big hitters were out of the side or a general strategy.

One of the guys in my group has played elves for a long time. It's a decent matchup, at least for the abzan version, because they don't have interaction. I bring in orzhov pontiff and maybe eidolon of rhetoric but I actually don't bring paths in at all. They go too wide and path doesn't keep them off fast companies. It really comes down to keeping hands that can combo or find combo.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

DangerDongs posted:

I played Abzan Company before the combo, and one thing I really appreciated with the deck was that all the creatures like rallier, Voice, Finks, Tracker etc were powerhouses on their own that forced your opponent to react, and then you could just combo at instant speed while you had them backed against the wall from card advantage. The counter companies deck trades away so many of these high value creatures for the parts of the combo.

Has anyone tried a more traditional list, but something more like -2 Melira -1 anafenza +3 Vizier, -2 Wall of roots +2 devouted druid, and just a single Duskwatch recruiter and Ballista. This way you can preserve at least 2 voice main, and maybe tracker / C of Kruphix.

I tried this for a while before going for a full 4/4 on druid on vizier. Honestly going all in on the combo pieces is just better and so much more consistent. The deck feels much less like a toolbox deck now, which is what I really liked about it, but wins a lot faster and more consistently instead. At least the sideboard is still a big toolbox and I often cut some combo bits when sideboarding.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Ignore people saying to play infect in modern. Probe got banned at the same time that fatal push and walking ballista entered the format, meanwhile the best deck is full of discard and playing stubborn denial. It's not great anymore. If you have dredge go grind out reps with that. Grave troll getting banned didn't stop it from actually being pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
My teammate got 31st at the open this weekend with Gw elves! We all helped each other the night before at the hotel with sideboards and sideboard guides and it's always good to see a teammate do well. Also chameleon colossus was awesome every time it came in and won games against grixis shadow players. Two of the guys tried gw tron, one lost his win-and-in for day 2, the other didn't do as well. I tried abzan company and started off 3-0 but got stormed on twice and then lost 2 more after that. Companied 4 times in one game and never saw ooze or eidolon. Had a fun weekend though, SCG events are always well run.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=114135