Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ilmucche posted:

Going to be pissed when modern horizons drives the price of fetches even higher. Playing with straight basics and evolving wilds will be fun, I guess.

So like a month ago when they announced no modern legal cards would be included?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

double post: the parfait defender has logged on https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1740656#paper

I can't decide if I'm the 3 Path to Exile, 0 Swords in a deck that doesn't remotely care about life, the lack of a Moat in a Humility, enchantment prison deck, or the $900 set of Mox Diamonds above the $200 set of Scroll Racks but below the FOUR DAZES IN THE TEN PLAINS DECK?!

So I guess I'm the Trade Routes demolishing Dirk Baberowski.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Extremely no.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is the ability to do something like T2 Karn off of two Ancient Tombs, grab Mycosinth Lattice, T3 play City of Traitors, play Mycosinth Lattice, opponent concedes because they can't do anything as broken as it looks in Legacy/Vint?

If you're going to live in magical Christmasland why would you wait to win until turn 3?

Karn will probably see a little play in vintage. It seems like an absolutely insane card. One-sided Null Rod plus an ability that kills Moxes is really good.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Pontius Pilate posted:

I’m dumb, what’s the card that karn combos off with?

Mycosinth Lattice.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

that extra mana hurts, right? most of my doomsday piles have exactly what they need

Just get exactly what you need plus 1 mana imo

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

A deck that has never-ending 3/2 flyers is basically impossible to beat. Dredge is good depending on how many Creeping Chills they hit, and burn is bad but winnable.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

You really think Amulet and Ad Nauseam are good? Ad Nauseam felt ok at best. Basically your only real card game 1 is Wanderer. I'm undefeated against Amulet but it was more of a case of them whiffing than me doing anything.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Mmhmmmmm

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sampatrick posted:

I don't know if there exist cards in Legacy such that Miracles would go even against Karn Post

Kismet/Frozen Aether/Big Thalia plus Back to Basics.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Oh good ANT has a Timetwister to go with their Black Lotus now.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I always find it reassuring when there is a very clear best deck to beat and it crushes everything anyway.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Same for Legacy, I have no idea where Death & Taxes stands anymore.

It's easy. Are you Bahra? If yes, it's ok. If not it's bad.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Network42 posted:

Blue tron is fun a heck though, try that if you want to lose magic.

FTFY

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Nothing good in modern is fun and nothing fun in modern is good, hth.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I'm the 23 spell Delver deck splashing Angler and no other black cards.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Walked posted:

Man. I love that 4c Pile is back in legacy. I say this as a former 4c pile player. Yes my opinion is biased

Nothing has ever made me want to play it less. Now instead of a pseudo-planeswalker fueling every midrange trash pile, it's an actual planeswalker.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It rules that the card is RG and that's not even a problem for blue decks to splash for it.

:hmmyes:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

L0cke17 posted:

What nightmare pile is this?

It's exactly what it looks like. Miracles and Six.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

4/0d modern tonight with this pile.

There's some weird choices in there, mostly either from vanity or from seeing 2 elves, 2 goblins, and 3 UWx control among 9 people in the time before we started. You see, Jace is a foil. Venser is a Japanese foil. Wall of Blossoms is because I didn't own Wall of Omens. I also think the deck generally just wants green mana more early. Cataclysmic Gearhulk seemed good against a bunch of go-wide decks like Goblins and Elves. That last sentence is called foreshadowing. Chekhov's Gearhulk.

Match 1 against elves, I used my turn 2 Deputy of Detention to eat his turn 2 Elvish Archdruid. Then I played a Soulherder and got his turn 3 Archdruid as well and he never really recovered from being under the abyss.

+Winds
+Deputy
+2 Gearhulk

-4 Force

Game 2 I died on turn 3 after mulling to 4, in a game I could have won with turn 4 overloaded Winds of Abandon if all 5 of the lands I'd drawn hadn't been fetches.

Game 3 I absolutely ruined his mull to 6 with a turn 5 Cataclysmic Gearhulk keeping my Deputy on his Archdruid and the Gearhulk, losing a Hierarch and a Mulldrifter I'd Ephemerated into play (I can't recommend doing this enough) while leaving him a Llanowar Elf and 4 dead creatures. I had removal for the few creatures that mattered, plus Witnesses for days to get it back. On turn 5 I evoked Mulldrifter, Ephemerated it, and Pathed his Ezuri with an Eternal Witness in play to get Ephemerate and Path back on my next turn.

Match 2 against Tron I drew a million lands and like 4 spells game 1, and still would have won if he'd played a little less conservatively (he played an Oblivion Stone with 2 mana floating plus 3 in play, and if he hadn't cracked it right there I had the Knight to blow it up.

+ Rejection
+Stroke
+Pridemage
+2 Stony
+2 Knight
+Slimeball

-4 Coatl
-Wall of Blossoms
-2 Path
-Deputy

Game 2 his hand of 2 tron lands, green cards, sphere, star + sphere lined up poorly against my hand of turn 2 Stony Silence plus a bunch of creatures.

Game 3 I Forced an early Scrying, Tron hit its fail rate, and I had a Stony on turn 2 just in case it hadn't.

Match 3 against the pseudo mirror with Stoneforges and Aether Vials. I mull to 6 and have 1 land and 1 Hierarch for the first 4 turns. He has Mystic into Mariner into Stoneforge into Hardcast Batterskull after I Path his Stoneforge. Eventually I started drawing lands and was, after a LOT of chumping and wheel-spinning and nonsense, able to draw a Force of Negation around 25 cards into my deck, and catch his Batterskull on its way down for the 5thish time. Mariner was insanely annoying in this game. I had the Knight for his Batterskull the first time he cast it but not the 4th mana to pay for the trigger, otherwise this game wouldn't have been close. Eventually I assembled a large Soulherder while blowing up his equipment thanks to the Knight, and after seeing about 2/3 of my deck I find my first copy of Eternal Witness to assemble a Time Warp loop.

+Pridemage
+Winds
+2 Knight
+Slimeball

-4 Force
-Wall of Blossoms

Game 2 he led with a Vial but was a pretty similar story. He had a bunch of dead cards in his deck in Stoneforge, equipment, and Vials and I didn't. My turns were something like Hierarch, Path your Stoneforge, Knight your Batterskull (he had a turn 1 Hierarch to cast it on 4,) Soulherder make Knight a 4/3, Slimeball blow up your Sword of Feast and Famine, Soulherder it to blow up the Vial (which an observer VERY HELPFULLY reminded him of the Mariner trigger to save it,) and it really wasn't a game from there. Eventually I EOT Time Warped with Teferi and locked him out again with Witness + Soulherder.

Match 4 against UR TAKING TURNS???!!! We split and played for the extra pack. Game 1 nothing really happened and he died.

+Veil
+Stroke
+Slimeball

-2 Ephemerate
-Deputy

It looked like he only had a few win conditions in Cliques and Snapcasters so I left my Paths in to make it really hard for him to go off.

Game 2 I drew a ton of lands and died.

+2 Ephemerate (I'd spent the entire game 2 wishing I'd draw a copy of it and never did.)
-Wall
-Path

Game 3 I kept 3 lands, 3 spells, drew 9 lands and 1 spell, and still pulled it off. Turns out when your deck runs out of lands to draw, it becomes a lot more powerful if you're still alive. The key play was on my turn 3 after I'd played turn 2 Soulherder. I played Oracle, hit a fetch, fetched, and attacked him for 3 with the Herder, hoping to make him think I had a followup. The plan was to bait him into waiting on the Bolt I assumed he he had until after combat. He did, and on my 2nd main Bolted my 3/3 Soulherder... which suddenly became a 4/4 after my Hierarch went farming. Oracle got flickered, he didn't have the 2nd Bolt to kill it on the last turn it would spend as a 3/3, and I drew no more spells for about 7 turns. Fortunately he was missing a few land drops, even resorting to activating his Mikokoro to hit them. I Vensered his Mikokoro EOT when he was up to 6 lands, he chumped my giant Soulherder, untapped and Anger of the Godsed away 4 of my creatures plus his Snapcaster, making an 11/11 Soulherder against his 13 life. He neglected to Abrade my Soulherder in response to the triggers (although he was in very bad shape at this point anyway as I had run out of lands to draw.) I missed on my ~8 outer (2 Paths, 4 Ephemerate, 2 Eternal Witness) to combine with my Eternal Witness and Coiling Oracle in hand to make the Soulherder lethal but did draw Force, Oracle into Oracle into Oracle (making sure to tap badly so I couldn't play the 3rd Oracle and hold Force up.) He went to 2 and Force on his Temporal Mastery was GG.

Apparently I'm the first person there to pull off the 4/0 with this deck, thus continuing my stretch of to modern once a year, playing a deck I've never played before, and absolutely crushing.

I got some random stuff with my winnings, plus a pack of Horizons and WAR that were both trash.

As for changes, basic plains SUCKED SO MUCH SERIOUSLY I CAN'T SAY ENOUGH HOW MUCH I HATED IT. So I'll probably cut one for a Canopy Vista. Double Gearhulk probably isn't necessary but it depends on what you're expecting. The deck really can be tailored to beat what you want to beat. Moving Winds to the main doesn't seem unreasonable in grindfest the format. I'd love to find room for a Reveillark. I'm really not in love with Wall of Blossoms so I might try that switch. Flicker Lark, get back Venser, bounce Lark sounds absolutely filthy. A 2nd Knight in the main would also be nice. I'd also like to try a 5 mana Avacyn somewhere in the 75. I honestly don't think the deck needs Jace. Ephemerate seemed great but I think I drew it twice, not counting the one game where it finally showed up to set up a Witness + Time Warp loop.

Also worth noting that in almost every game I played that lasted more than a few turns, my land:spell ratio was pretty close to or over 2. It was pretty annoying. I don't know if I got spectacularly unlucky (how unusual!) or if the deck needs -1 land or what. Twice I had 1 mana producing land and around 4 fetches left in my deck. The last game I played, I had almost 40 cards left in my deck and only 5 were lands.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Play whichever one you like best and have reps with, which I know in your case is bant. Don't do the day-before second guessing.

My 4/0 FNMs records are almost exclusively the result of day before or, just as often, day of second guessing. I don't think I've ever brought a new deck for the first time and not 4/0d.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

You are a bad influence! Everyone knows you never win anyway.

I'll have you know I'm still the 12th best vintage player of all time! And I'm the only person to ever win a legacy and vintage tournament at our store in the same weekend. We won't even count the legacy FNM I won that same weekend. :smuggo: or my 20-something percent event win rate in legacy

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Play 'em. If people want to know what stuff does, they can ask. I had one guy whine once about how unfair it is to play foreign cards and blah blah blah, if anyone ever plays foreign cards against me I'm going to call a judge and get the oracle text on every card they play. Basically "we're in 'Murica, your cards should speak 'Murican." He's also a huge moron.

I played against a guy once who said something to the effect of "you might want to buy English versions of the cards so people can read them." He said this while playing his 75 card, unsleeved, mono-red deck featuring powerhouses such as viashino sandstalker and goblin balloon brigade. In legacy.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I always like "can I read that?" when I play one of my many bad cards that nobody else plays.

"You can try." I can barely even read it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Putting cards on top of your deck is not allowed at competitive. I don't think it's even allowed at casual but nobody cares. Just put a die on top of it, then lift the die off, draw your card, and put the die back like I always used to do with sylvan library.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

pee pee doo doo magic is a bad game

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Tim Raines IRL posted:

it was a fun ride

For like a year and a half.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Your opponent brought Grafdigger's Cage in against you

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

ilmucche posted:

Yeah I'm not following what that would do against spirits

It turns off Company in the exceedingly rare situations where you are able to cast and resolve a 4 mana spell that is still in your hand.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

little munchkin posted:

not sure what the shadow player's 75 looks like, but cage seems like an upgrade to the stubborn denials you're looking to cut

A 1 mana card that occasionally shuts off certain cards they might not even draw is not better than a 1 mana Negate against the deck that has Path, RIP, Company, and possibly Settle at a minimum.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Voyager I posted:

I don't mean this as a personal attack on you but I hate everything about this sentence.

Same but I do mean it as a personal attack.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Serious post: every deck I've ever owned or liked has been power crept out of legacy within a year, and I'd rather not play than play a 7 color pile of good cards. So I play Death and Taxes because it's the closest thing I have to a real deck. I even do alright with it because most players are very bad, and people in stores (remember those?) tend to just play what they have. Lots of non-blue decks for $ome rea$on. I'm like, one Force of Will (and one Tundra but lol) away from having Sharkstill or UW Miracles built, which can only mean it's not actually good. Also I don't have the red splash because I refuse to own duals at this point, so even if it is good, my build won't be!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Silhouette posted:

Pauper is almost good again, but as long as Tron is a deck in the format, the entire meta will remain Tron vs Delver/faeries with some renegades playing Boros monarch or burn

I just want to play my alpha Pestilences with 56 foils. Is that so much to ask for?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Mezzanon posted:

Have you ever been in a 6 person pod and played against someone from an 8 person pod whose deck is the same archetype but better in every possible way because they saw 6 extra packs worth of cards?

Because I have, and it’s the reason I don’t play flgs drafts anymore.

No, we just did a 13 person draft. It was a nightmare and I'll never draft at that store again.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Premodern is the only way I have any interest in playing this game anymore. Even if it was 100% proxies I have zero interest in any format wotc has any ability to print new cards for.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 12, 2022

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

It's been a lot longer than that. I don't even have a constructed deck outside of premodern at this point. And I'm like $500/8-12 cards away from having one thanks to being on strike when mh2 released.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

I'll let you know in about a month when I next play legacy if it had any impact.

Spoilers: it killed the viable non-blue deck.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

4. It also trigger on ETB.
It's also good at just murdering D&T's army of x/1s.

Finally a card that can put death and taxes in its place. The savior of the format! Now if they could just do something about zoo and solidarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

I don’t think UR is a real big fan of it either tbf

Sure, if it resolves and survives and they don't have delirium it's decent.