Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

It's a 2 mana Swiftspear that doesn't have haste or even attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

AgentSythe posted:

I played it in one of the challenges on Saturday, yeah. I played a real deck in the second challenge and in the classic on Sunday

okay so how am I supposed to beat Death and Taxes on a consistent basis with Grixis Delver? I mean I can do it with my Super Delver draws and I do my best to protect my mana and value lands since I know they're going to get hosed up over the course of the games but that matchup seems tough

I told you, get really lucky and have them draw badly.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

AgentSythe posted:

It can't ever seem to beat multiple terminus so I guess I just throw in the Tundra and run those. can't ever lose

Speaking of death and taxes losing to terminus, I saw the following sequence of events at the classic yesterday: Miracles vs D&T, just going into turns in game 3. Miracles guy has countertop assembled and a baneslayer. D&T guy attempts to go for the draw by flickerwisping the baneslayer in attacks. Flickerwisp ability happens, miracles guy goes to second main, hard casts a Terminus, Baneslayer comes back.

Basilisk Collar + Endbringer is a delight. What does it want Crucible for? Fulminator mage matchups?

The third Terminus is when you lose.

Because it's a 1 mana Wrath which is still legal in this format for some reason, you see. If it cost a reasonable amount of mana or was at sorcery speed it would be extremely easy to beat.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

L0cke17 posted:

Before terminus there was no viable control deck though. Without it there would only be aggro-control and combo left.

...and now there's no viable aggro decks. So we traded a bunch of decks for one deck which would still be perfectly fine without a 1 mana Wrath.

Holy crap it's amazingly obvious that you play Miracles.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

AgentSythe posted:

holy mackerel what an event

also apparently we get two GPs this year, since Louisville in January is also Legacy

Noted eternal hub of the country, Louisville.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

The March Hare posted:

I sort of want to go just for BBQ.

North Carolina BBQ is much better imo.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Don't play Jace in Delver.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"WotC will never restrict this card and you are wrong if you aren't playing a deck based off of it."

~Fin

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

The most important thing would be having a quick clock so your opponent doesn't get time to draw out of it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

C-Euro posted:

I know it's not as good in this type but every time someone posts a Modern Spirits list my first question is always "why not run Lingering Souls?"

Because running a grindy card in a tempo deck isn't very good.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Cast triggers are insane in vintage. Especially cast triggers that also take their next turn.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Don't play Infect. It's not very good and I don't think I've ever played an interesting game with it. Death and Taxes is a lot of fun and by the looks of things it's probably going to get a lot better.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Walked posted:

Thanks guys; thats the way I was leaning. I tend to shy away from Modern Infect because its lacking in interaction compared to Jund; so while it's effective, it's not the most engaging. Legacy infect just about entirely fixes this.

:homebrew:

WHOA NOW you can't go using words like "interaction!" Who knows what that even means?!

It's not like legacy infect is much more interactive, it just has Force and Daze to protect its guys instead of Apostle's Blessing.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

some day you'll be truly enlightened and start foiling out pauper decks

My Ub Control is 3/75 Russian/Japanese foil and Tron is like 5/75 (with Alpha CoPs on the board because I have standards.) Any day now.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mehall posted:

The older build I had, with more Rhinos, had DL Dromoka in that spot, but Yosei is a lock with Recurring Nightmare.

I agree it looks too cute, but Yosei is better than you think, if you get to use the trigger repeatedly, and on a 5/5 flying body.

You may be right about hymn though. But BB is tough to guarantee early enough for it to be relevant.

You're probably already winning if you get to have a 6 mana legendary creature in play long enough to sacrifice it to Recurring Nightmare.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

strictly better has been called

It's like how Lava Spike is strictly better than Lightning Bolt because you can't accidentally target your opponent's 2/3 Tarmogoyf.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Lava Spike is better than Abrupt Decay or Dromoka's Command anyway.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I've literally never had Mindcensor snipe a land.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I bought the last cards for UW Spirits yesterday. Now I just need everything to show up in the mail.

Including the foil Rattlechains from Russia. :negative:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

L0cke17 posted:

Good man.

It's the first halfway competitive deck I've ever actually wanted to play in modern so hopefully it turns out to be real. Is there any kind of concensus on UW vs. Bant? UW seems like the much more common build.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

L0cke17 posted:

I dont know poo poo about modern. I usually just play mill when I have to play it. I stole the list from some other goon in here I think, or maybe some GP or something? I was most excited about russian cards. Theyre so pretty

Ohhhh bubby, have I got some things to show you.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Pontius Pilate posted:

Your ebay sales after lodestone got restricted?

It was a cash sale :colbert:

Edit:
Death and Taxes
Blue Tron

I've also got a bunch of cards in the mail. Off the top of my head, the Snapcasters, All is Dust, a 2nd Eldrazi Wish, New'mrakul if it ever actually shows up which I don't think it will at this point, Canonists, a set of Russian FNM Paths, a 2nd new Thalia, plus 2 foil Rattlechains. Once all that shows up the only thing I'll need for Tron is 7 more Russian foil TSP 289 Islands and another $30 Hurkyl's or 2 and 3 $20 Leyline of Sanctity. :suicide:

I guess I could buy the $500 foil on ebay.

I'm hoping to be able to get to Champs in October so I can sell all of my other stuff and hopefully find most of what I'm missing. Anyone else going?

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 12, 2016

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

It can also only be done from your hand.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Rollie the Guar posted:

Brain in a Jar does cast the card from your hand though, so it absolutely does let you fuse.

:psyboom:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Um, so it's just the Gifts combo with Brain in a Jar letting you cast stuff for cheaper (and uncounterable out of cards like Squelch)?

You still cast the spell.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

FTFY

I'm pretty sure that's the guy whose draws against me while he was dead on board were Abrupt Decay, Thragtusk, Resto, Pod, Eternal Witness. I drew land x4 obviously.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

This almost makes me want to play a Brainstorm deck again.

Almost.

No it doesn't.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Mezzanon posted:

I counted at least six spells with it, and it won me at least two games.

Spell Pierce is surprisingly good. I went up to 3 for a while but I'm back at 2 because I added Remands.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

suicidesteve posted:

This almost makes me want to play a Brainstorm deck again.

Never mind.

Behold my works ye mighty and despair!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

the sexual Shiite posted:

You looking for another masterpiece vial?

Why mess with perfection?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Snacksmaniac posted:

I was going to post the same thing.
Are you coming next weekend? Come and bring me Bazaars.

Maybe and I don't have any.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

on the other hand, then you are playing vintage

*shudders* the horror

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

someone tell me how to live the dream in modern, and that dream is to torrential gearhulk a commandeer

Gifts Ungiven for Gearhulk, Commandeer, Unburial Rites, Quicken.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

obviously their ad nauseam in your deck full of expensive poo poo

Wow way to steal my plan!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Was this the Stompy version that pops up a couple times a year? Have most of it built but got lazy about finishing it since there's no Legacy around here (and also $60 Cavern of Souls :negative:)

The one that proves that the other 67 cards don't matter if 8 of your cards are Ancient Tomb Chalice of the Void?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Cactrot posted:

Merfolk is actually kinda favorable against miracles.

Everyone always says this (they also say it about every deck so :shrug:) and I've never seen it win a game, let alone a match.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yeah it's a situation that 99% of the judges I know would be comfortable with the rewind, but hey this is the dude that (seemingly) also said a guy couldnt tutor for a sorcery because a judge said he could at table.

Are you talking about the Rich Shay thing? Because that's not what happened at all.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

what happened here

The judge gave his opponent a potential line of play. Rich called a judge on the other judge which apparently you can do? Rich's opponent decided not to use the information he was given and that was that.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

3/0d legacy with UW Landstill featuring 2 Hallowed Fountains, 1 Tundra, and 1 new Emrakul. Beat Death and Taxes, ANT, and BR Reanimator. I'll post a list of this pile when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

suicidesteve posted:

3/0d legacy with UW Landstill featuring 2 Hallowed Fountains, 1 Tundra, and 1 new Emrakul. Beat Death and Taxes, ANT, and BR Reanimator. I'll post a list of this pile when I get home.

Welcome to tier 0!

For the record, I took the Emrakul out for the Vendilion Clique that was in the board and replaced it with a Disrupt because man, Emrakul was not good. I think I was like, 5 mana away from casting it at one point and that was the closest I ever got.