Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i avoided windows 10 for a while. but i just bought a new computer and it already had windows 10 on it :( i have just resigned myself to it, there's no way i'm putting windows 7 on a brand new computer. i disabled all of the spyware, but i know of course that microsoft is sneaker than that.

oh well i guess i love you big brother?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Prettz posted:

i've used firefox on windows, osx, and linux, and on every single one firefox quickly chomps up as much RAM as that OS will allow and then just sits there running the CPU freeing up little chunks of memory then immediately reallocating them. it does this infinitely until you close it. even if you have just 1 tab running, on windows 7 that's a 1.5 gigabyte tab.

Sadly I experience the same thing but I like Firefox way too much. Chrome is so stupidly minimalist that you can't even change tab behavior, or hell, even just click a down arrow to go to your recent sites.

Firefox does this weird memory leak thing where pages will just become completely black and I have to resize the window to be able to see the page. Seriously it's like I'm using a computer from the 90s.

The thing I don't get about Firefox bringing my laptop to a crawl is that even if it is in fact using 2gb of ram, my laptop has 16gb so why the hell is it causing it to run like a 486? It would make a bit more sense if it was using 14gb of ram, but I have a ton available. Maybe I don't understand how computers work.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

nah i get lovely internet web browsing performance on windows 7 computers too.

web browsers are all dogshit

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Sadly I experience the same thing but I like Firefox way too much. Chrome is so stupidly minimalist that you can't even change tab behavior, or hell, even just click a down arrow to go to your recent sites.

Firefox does this weird memory leak thing where pages will just become completely black and I have to resize the window to be able to see the page. Seriously it's like I'm using a computer from the 90s.

The thing I don't get about Firefox bringing my laptop to a crawl is that even if it is in fact using 2gb of ram, my laptop has 16gb so why the hell is it causing it to run like a 486? It would make a bit more sense if it was using 14gb of ram, but I have a ton available. Maybe I don't understand how computers work.

That's not a memory leak i think that's it trying to recover after the video driver crashes or something like that. It should just pull up an error and restart but they do that weird thing instead

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Same here.

But chrome does all the same memory devouring behavior that firefox does. And all the overloaded websites that bring firefox to a crawl bring chrome to a crawl just as badly. The only real difference is that chrome has a much worse UI.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I blanket block all scripts and this helps a lot, though it makes it a pain in the dick to shop online

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

also websites in general just keep getting fatter:

maybe websites wouldnt be so harsh on phones if they got rid of all the ads and useless articles

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
how do i know which windows i have like where does it show the number :confused:

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Personal: Do it right the first time and you never have to do it again.
Business: Do it right the first time and you never get paid to do it again.

It's not personal, it's just bissnssss.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

JiveHonky posted:

how do i know which windows i have like where does it show the number :confused:

you count the number of windows you have on your hand aor maybe write them down

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ork of Fiction posted:

Personal: Do it right the first time and you never have to do it again.
Business: Do it right the first time and you never get paid to do it again.

It's not personal, it's just bissnssss.

Yeah Microsoft made this mistake with windows 7...

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Robo Reagan posted:

you count the number of windows you have on your hand aor maybe write them down

thanks! looks like i am only on windows 4 so no need to worry!

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i use firefox or chrome

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
anyway pick you're spot on

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Use noscript, and when it inevitably completely fucks up some pages you can manually enable scripts.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I don't want windows 10 only because of the constant dialogs asking me to update from 8. i don't want to be manipulated into an OS update even if it's theoretically supporting more stability and securities.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
Sounds like your OS is a POS, op. :|

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Prettz posted:

i've used firefox on windows, osx, and linux, and on every single one firefox quickly chomps up as much RAM as that OS will allow and then just sits there running the CPU freeing up little chunks of memory then immediately reallocating them. it does this infinitely until you close it. even if you have just 1 tab running, on windows 7 that's a 1.5 gigabyte tab.

that, and/or the website is coded like absolute garbage.

funnily enough SA is the only site that doesn't crash my idiot browser.

maybe radium's lovely code wasn't so bad

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

try posting this question in yospos, they solved my streaming media player problem in like 3 minutes

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I do have solid state drives in my laptop and desktop, both of which are robust machines. but for some reason the browers are just... loving... slow....

Art files with 43530573 layers are fine though

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wouldn't it just be great if you could just run the freshest version of programs over a fiber channel and not have to download poo poo every time someone wants to reprogram a radio button?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
imagine going back to 2005 and saying "in the year 2016, Adobe Photoshop will literally run faster than your web browser, no matter how fast your internet connection is"

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

anyway pick you're spot on

Jesus Christ get all that poo poo off the screen. :catstare:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

imagine going back to 2005 and saying "in the year 2016, Adobe Photoshop will literally run faster than your web browser, no matter how fast your internet connection is"

Web 2.0

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i'll wait for windows 11

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

TheShazbot posted:

maybe radium's code is so lovely that the programmers couldn't figure out how to properly shittify it more, to the proper lovely extent

didn't the site break for half a day because someone wanted to change the display date or something

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Most modern programming is going towards kernel processes, and microsoft has made a point of making a cryptographic abstraction layer to keep programmers from accessing or loading processes directly into the kernel. They run a lovely archaic static kernel that doesn't have any actual mass and every process tha uses it has to go through some rediculous kernel panic script check that makes sure there aren't any entropy violations because the Fire Marshall would get sooooo mad and poop his pants in anger, and nobody wants to hurt his feelings. So instead of just making an actual nice cool kernel mass every kernel process has to go though a retarded series of checks to make sure your board isn't going to arc out or melt. Because we're still in the loving Cold War and we can't admit that processor kernels have mass because Russia would get sad about the iron process.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

TheShazbot posted:

More like it was never updated and a 2016 computer is insanely fast by 2004 standards

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Most modern programming is going towards kernel processes, and microsoft has made a point of making a cryptographic abstraction layer to keep programmers from accessing or loading processes directly into the kernel. They run a lovely archaic static kernel that doesn't have any actual mass and every process tha uses it has to go through some rediculous kernel panic script check that makes sure there aren't any entropy violations because the Fire Marshall would get sooooo mad and poop his pants in anger, and nobody wants to hurt his feelings. So instead of just making an actual nice cool kernel mass every kernel process has to go though a retarded series of checks to make sure your board isn't going to arc out or melt. Because we're still in the loving Cold War and we can't admit that processor kernels have mass because Russia would get sad about the iron process.

thanks for the nerd poo poo, nerd

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

no joke i bought my first windows 10 laptop a couple weeks ago and it convinced me to switch to a desktop linux distro

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

kernel panic! at the disk drive

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Parallax Scroll posted:

thanks for the nerd poo poo, nerd

Windows is programmed around not hurting people's feelings. :colbert:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

kernel panic! at the disk drive

If only you could just somehow bus light directly to the ram. :shrug:

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Ferroque posted:

no joke i bought my first windows 10 laptop a couple weeks ago and it convinced me to switch to a desktop linux distro
congrats, that's actually a downgrade

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

well i'm dual booting and it's nice to have an os that doesn't constantly bug me about things, run things secretly in the background, have ads in the start menu, keep asking me to use cortana, etc

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's like, just run your drat kernel through the middle of the earth like everyone else in the free world. You don't need any localized mass, as a fake electron cloud or actual atoms, unless you are in space and going through interstellar magnetic fields. Or you're an antisocial prick and want to keep your poo poo secret from everyone but the cia.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I so rarely do anything actually important online, I just want it to be fast when I am looking at the hours costco is open or w/e

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Pick posted:

I so rarely do anything actually important online, I just want it to be fast when I am looking at the hours costco is open or w/e
but you never know when you'll need 900 megabytes worth of javascript objects, so better to just keep that memory allocated at all times just in case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Parallax Scroll posted:

i'll wait for windows 11

It'll be worse. Desktops are dying. They're going to turn your PC OS into a phone OS whether you like it or not.

• Locked thread