Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
A variety of them, was libertarian for a stretch, stopped when I noticed it was contradictory. I still haven't found a good answer though, everything's flawed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

smg77 posted:

So you've settled on nihilism?

I'd love to know why so many young people go through an obnoxious libertarian phase. Is there some sort of cabal pushing Ayn Rand novels on impressionable teenagers?
Nihilism is laziness, I'm still a marxist but marxism is not without it's flaws, I just think it's flawed because it's 'missing' pieces as it were. So I guess that puts me in erratic marxism with Varoufakis.

I can't speak for anyone else, but to me libertarianism worked because it had a kind of just-so story to it. It's one of those systems that, once you're 'inside' it, it's not hard to visualize all problems as relating to it in some way - the issue is that it's incredibly simplistic, and the 'surface' of it (i.e. it presents itself as kind of an extension of hippie-liberalism live and let live) contradicts its material reality (the recreation of feudalism).

Though I can't deny there's probably a gendered component to it. Men are brought up with the expectation of being self-reliant, to ask for help is to declare weakness, which is never to be shown under any circumstances. So if you're a young man who's insecure about their gender, you'll end up over-compnesating, and advocating a world were everyone is expected to do everything themselves for themselves Because Liberty neatly squares with that.

Which probably explains why it's a common thing for this sub, along with the idea that if you're here, you're somewhat interested in politics (so not having a position isn't acceptable). Same thing with reddit I guess.

• Locked thread