Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

CrimsonSaber posted:

The worst part about the ABC episode is how the husband was stealing employee tips. I'm surprised that nobody burned that place to the ground.

It was all funny watching the crazies up until that moment and then I was immediately enraged. This kind of poo poo happens all the time too. There could be a whole thread about former servers telling stories about getting ripped off by shady dickhead managers and owners. It always kind of irritates me when the media praises small business owners and vilifies corporations. I've witnessed so much bullshit from greedy, soon to be burning in hell small business owners that would never fly in a corporation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
If you don't live in a shithole state you can file a dispute with the labor board and they sort things out fairly quick though. Managers/owners taking employee tips is explicitly illegal in CA.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Let me tell you about Kansas politics.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Germstore posted:

Well, it's more or less the same population too, but it's still not cool to misrepresent your product even if the difference comes down to marketing.
Huh well I know poo poo about lobsters so if you say so. I just remember in the show he spotted it right away so if there is no visible difference he must have been told by his staff before going in.

vvv Well I feel both better educated and saddened. That guy was such an rear end in a top hat I wish he was objectively and unarguably wrong.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 21, 2016

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Ramsay is probably wrong on that one tbh according to Google. It wouldn't be the first time, he has his Brit ways.

I like him but he can't take a bit of spice for example. He goes to Thailand and tells the Thai people they are making it too strong, Anthony Bourdain goes and says 'that's some good poo poo.'

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Darkhold posted:

Huh well I know poo poo about lobsters so if you say so. I just remember in the show he spotted it right away so if there is no visible difference he must have been told by his staff before going in.

The larva float out in the bay so any difference is environmental in later life stages. It may result in differences, but to go back to the dog analogy it wouldn't be like two different breeds it would be like two dogs from the same litter raised in different homes.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Maybe Ramsay's point is that those particular lobsters were caught in Nova Scotia and not Maine and thus even though they are the same drat lobster you can charge 2x for the 'Maine' one and thus he is ripping people off?

Although meh whatever if they're literally the same species.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
I liked when the pizza place sold lovely lobster and hospitalized the customer.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I like when Gordon takes sexy showers.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Dude gets his shirt off in every episode.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

kiimo posted:

It was all funny watching the crazies up until that moment and then I was immediately enraged. This kind of poo poo happens all the time too. There could be a whole thread about former servers telling stories about getting ripped off by shady dickhead managers and owners. It always kind of irritates me when the media praises small business owners and vilifies corporations. I've witnessed so much bullshit from greedy, soon to be burning in hell small business owners that would never fly in a corporation.

I know the onus is on the server, but honestly most servers don't realize that. If they do know, they shut up about it because the manager makes the schedule so you don't piss them off or you wind up getting nothing but lovely lunch shifts.

When I was waiting tables, I got screwed over a number of times because people would "dine and dash" and I'd have to cover their bill, because "I should have been watching my tables better". I later found out that it was illegal to make me pay, but honestly if you're a server you probably don't have legal expertise. Doubly so in the pre-internet days, like when I was waiting tables.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
In Vegas there's a union to protect you from poo poo like that.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Was there ever an instance where he goes into a restaurant on KN and he likes the food? The only one I know is from the UK version where he was eating New Orleans style something.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think I remember one where he thought the person was an amazing bakery chef and told her to concentrate on that alone. If I remember right his advice was ignored.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jimson posted:

If I rmb correctly he's actually a legit chill dude and has other shows outside of the country where he just cooks and talks and stuff. I think they did an interview where he said they told him to really play up the angry British chef gimmick.
this is the case yeah

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Chromatic posted:

Was there ever an instance where he goes into a restaurant on KN and he likes the food? The only one I know is from the UK version where he was eating New Orleans style something.

Yeah but it's reaally rare. I think it happens like twice during the whole USA KN run.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

This thread inspired me to go watch one of the more recent US Kitchen Nightmares episodes. I happened to pick one where some dude's dad literally stole his trust fund to start the business. :wtc:

Got a link? I tried googling and found the delightful story where some NJ Restaurant owner killed himself after an episode.

This poo poo is getting dark as hell.

e:nvm got it....Burger Place.

spud fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 21, 2016

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTzltxwecE0

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
JFC every single restaurant in season 2 went out of business

S01E01 - Peter's - Babylon, NY **closed**
S01E02 - Dillon's - New York, NY **renamed Purnima, closed**
S01E03 - Mixing Bowl - Bellmore, NY **closed**
S01E04 - Seascape - Islip, NY **sold** **closed**
S01E05 - Olde Stone Mill - Tuckahoe, NY **Sold**
S01E06 - Sebastian's - Toluca Lake, CA **closed**
S01E07 - Finn McCool's - Westhampton, NY **Sold, then closed**
S01E08 - Lela's - Pomona, CA **closed**
S01E09 - Campania - Fair Lawn, NJ **sold, then closed** 3 years later
S01E10 - Secret Garden - Moorpark, CA

S02E01 - Handlebar - Mount Sinai, NY **closed**
S02E02 - Giuseppe's - Macomb Township, MI **closed**
S02E03 - Trobiano's - Great Neck, NY **closed**
S02E04 - Black Pearl - New York, NY **closed**
S02E05 - J Willy's - South Bend, IN **closed**
S02E06 - Hannah & Mason's - Cranbury, NJ **closed**
S02E07 - Jack's Waterfront - St. Clair Shores, MI **closed**
S02E08 - Sabatiello's - Stamford, CT **closed**
S02E09 - Fiesta Sunrise - West Nyack, NY **closed**
S02E10 - Santé La Brea - Los Angeles, CA**closed**
S02E11 - Cafe 36 - La Grange, IL **closed**

S03E01 - Hot Potato Cafe - Philadelphia, PA **closed**
S03E02 - Flamangos - Whitehouse Station, NJ **renamed The Junction** **closed**
S03E03 - Bazzini - Ridgewood, NJ **closed**
S03E04 - Mojito - Brooklyn, NY
S03E05 - Lido di Manhattan Beach - Manhattan Beach, CA
S03E06 - Le Bistro - Lighthouse Point, FL
S03E07 - Casa Roma - Lancaster, CA
S03E08 - Mama Rita's - Newbury Park, CA **closed, still offers catering**
S03E09 - Anna Vincenzo's - Boca Raton, FL **closed**
S03E10 - Fleming - Miami, FL **closed**
S03E11 - Sushi-Ko - Thousand Oaks, CA **closed**

S04E01 - Spanish Pavillion - Harrison, NJ
S04E02 - Classic American - West Babylon, NY **closed**
S04E03 - PJ's Steakhouse - Queens, NY **closed**
S04E04 - Grasshopper Also - Carlstadt, NJ **sold**
S04E05 - Davide - Boston, MA
S04E06 - Down City - Providence, RI **closed**
S04E07 - Cafe Tavolini - Bridgeport, CT **closed**
S04E08 - Kingston Cafe - Pasadena, CA **closed**
S04E09 - La Frite - Sherman Oaks, CA
S04E10 - Capri - Eagle Rock, CA
S04E11 - Zeke's - Metairie, LA **closed**
S04E12 - Oceana - New Orleans, LA

S05E01 - Blackberrys - Plainfield, NJ **closed**
S05E02 - Leone's - Montclair, NJ
S05E03 - Mike & Nellies - Oakhurst, NJ **closed**
S05E04 - Luigi's - Anaheim, CA
S05E05&06 - Burger Kitchen - Los Angeles, CA **closed**
S05E07 - The Greek at the Harbor - Ventura, CA
S05E08 - Michon's - College Park, GA
S05E09 - El Greco - Austin, TX **closed**
S05E10 - Park's Edge - Atlanta, GA
S05E11 - Spin-A-Yarn Steakhouse - Fremont, CA
S05E12 - Charlie's - La Verne, CA
S05E13 - Cafe Hon - Baltimore, MD
S05E14 - Chiarella's - Philadelphia, PA
S05E15 - Zocalo - Philadelphia, PA **closed**

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

spud posted:

Got a link? I tried googling and found the delightful story where some NJ Restaurant owner killed himself after an episode.

This poo poo is getting dark as hell.

quote:

Gordon Ramsay went to Los Angeles based “Burger Kitchen” restaurant, a supposed haven of gourmet burgers. Gordon, however, was less than impressed. Upon meeting the owners you find that already the father, Australian immigrant Alan Saffron says that Yelp killed the business. Now what is Yelp? An online community of restaurants and business listings, along with customer reviews. Here the owner says that there is a conspiracy against his business. Alan also unashamedly told Gordon that he opened the restaurant by basically taking his son’s inheritance money, which added up to $250,000. The inheritance money from Alan’s father who also left Alan the same amount. Now, I will go back to the grandfather later because he plays an important role.

Actually this whole write up is interesting I was gonna quote more but meh: https://themillieblog.wordpress.com/2011/11/06/burger-kitchen-on-kitchen-nightmares-exposed/

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Gordon slapping down other Chefs will never not be great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjV5QH57lGs

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

Chromatic posted:

Gordon slapping down other Chefs will never not be great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjV5QH57lGs

this one is absolutely brutal and that fat gently caress deserved all of it. jesus storing shellfish like that, what the gently caress was he thinking

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

the great deceiver posted:

this one is absolutely brutal and that fat gently caress deserved all of it. jesus storing shellfish like that, what the gently caress was he thinking

That's the New Orleans one someone was talking about earlier. One brother was incredibly dim-witted, and the other was that dangerous mix of borderline retarded and very quick to anger.

The most confusing part was that the restaurant was basically two completely different restaurants crammed together with a doorway from one dining room into the other.

I love KN, but it's made me wary of small mom and pop restaurants, unless they have a long reputation of excellence. I wish Ohio would adopt California's system of cleanliness grades. A few months ago my partner and I went to a little Mexican place and the food was excellent. I went to leave it a nice yelp review and learned that it had been closed down twice in the past year for pest control and food storage issues.

I still left it a nice review because the food was wonderful, but it still grossed me out a bit. Sometimes I'm just better off not knowing.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

There goes my stomach.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
can ramsay be donald trumps running mate even though he wasnt born in the usa?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Minarch posted:

He can be his Kissinger

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Requesting a name change to "Gordon Ramsay's rear end" with this as an av

:nws::nws:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Minarch posted:

no. the vice president must meet all the same qualification requirements as the president.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

dude.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
The show is going to be boring now that ramsay got eaten by dogs. Oh well.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

I'm on the 2nd season of Kitchen Nightmares. Not bad for what it is, easy drama and Gordon yelling at people.

I wonder if Gordon's massively high standards is just a tool to get the chefs as stressed as possible. I'm not really into fine dining so I wouldn't know.

PepperSinclaire
Jan 21, 2007

But everyone's doooing it!

OctoberBlues posted:

Requesting a name change to "Gordon Ramsay's rear end" with this as an av

:nws::nws:

It's like a raw turkey :barf:

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
im the OP and the point of this is are you americans offended by oval office, everyone missed the point

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Nonviolent J posted:

im the OP and the point of this is are you americans offended by oval office, everyone missed the point

hello op, to thoughtfully answer your question: yes, oval office is one of the more insulting insults you can use in the USA. especially against women. it is way more effective than bitch. when turned on a guy, it's pretty bad too. come to think of it. yes. i am offended by just having typed this.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
oval office is a pretty good flavor though

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnXPMHj68LM
everyone quote this

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

These Kitchen Nightmares waitresses and hostesses are always so darn cute.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

thathonkey posted:

hello op, to thoughtfully answer your question: yes, oval office is one of the more insulting insults you can use in the USA. especially against women. it is way more effective than bitch. when turned on a guy, it's pretty bad too. come to think of it. yes. i am offended by just having typed this.

lol shut up oval office

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I think "gash" is a lot more offensive than oval office. Also it hits the ear better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
you cook like old people gently caress

• Locked thread