Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
I like his UK shows where it is more about cooking and he is way more mellow. He's said that the US producers and whatnot have told him to take it up a few notches for the US so that's why he is nonstop tripping out on those ones.

darkhand posted:

Ramsey is less douchey than those guys on kitchen rescue shows like Jon Taffer who yell at underpayed food service workers

He's always pretty much cool to the line cooks unless they do some really stupid or hosed up thing, which is appreciated. Kitchen Nightmare's is 95% directed at the owner and head chef.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
The F Word is really good.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

criscodisco posted:

Honestly just looking at the production values is enough to tell you the difference between what the UK market expects vs what the US expects. Theirs is very low key, with soft music transitions, whereas in the US version the VO guy is practically shouting at you, with lots of loud bass-y "dum badum" pieces. They manage to make a show about cooking look and sound like Survivor.

....... tonight on KITCHEN NIGHTMARES... the chefs push Gordon Ramsay to the limit

The most exciting episode EVER

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Kitchen Nightmares is SUPER formulaic but I dunno that a lot of it is actually staged. Not hard to find a restaurant opened by people with 0 industry experience who can't cook or operate a professional kitchen but think their poo poo is fantastic because their homie said so once.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

JonathonSpectre posted:

It always cracks me up. Hey, yeah, the business is failing and I'm an inch from being out on the streets but it can't be because of the food! That's my food! I put that burger on the menu! What the gently caress do you mean seaweed, maple syrup, and pickled ox tail don't make sense as burger toppings?!?! WHAT DO YOU KNOW ANYWAY? This is the very finest Wagyu beef!

I love that too.

He straight up is like 'well what do you think the problem is?' and the response 90% of the time is 'the problem is there's no customers!!!' lmao

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

This thread inspired me to go watch one of the more recent US Kitchen Nightmares episodes. I happened to pick one where some dude's dad literally stole his trust fund to start the business. :wtc:

That one was super depressing. Kid looked like he was going to have a nervous breakdown at any moment (understandably).

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
If you don't live in a shithole state you can file a dispute with the labor board and they sort things out fairly quick though. Managers/owners taking employee tips is explicitly illegal in CA.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Ramsay is probably wrong on that one tbh according to Google. It wouldn't be the first time, he has his Brit ways.

I like him but he can't take a bit of spice for example. He goes to Thailand and tells the Thai people they are making it too strong, Anthony Bourdain goes and says 'that's some good poo poo.'

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Maybe Ramsay's point is that those particular lobsters were caught in Nova Scotia and not Maine and thus even though they are the same drat lobster you can charge 2x for the 'Maine' one and thus he is ripping people off?

Although meh whatever if they're literally the same species.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Dude gets his shirt off in every episode.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
In Vegas there's a union to protect you from poo poo like that.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Chromatic posted:

Was there ever an instance where he goes into a restaurant on KN and he likes the food? The only one I know is from the UK version where he was eating New Orleans style something.

Yeah but it's reaally rare. I think it happens like twice during the whole USA KN run.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

spud posted:

Got a link? I tried googling and found the delightful story where some NJ Restaurant owner killed himself after an episode.

This poo poo is getting dark as hell.

quote:

Gordon Ramsay went to Los Angeles based “Burger Kitchen” restaurant, a supposed haven of gourmet burgers. Gordon, however, was less than impressed. Upon meeting the owners you find that already the father, Australian immigrant Alan Saffron says that Yelp killed the business. Now what is Yelp? An online community of restaurants and business listings, along with customer reviews. Here the owner says that there is a conspiracy against his business. Alan also unashamedly told Gordon that he opened the restaurant by basically taking his son’s inheritance money, which added up to $250,000. The inheritance money from Alan’s father who also left Alan the same amount. Now, I will go back to the grandfather later because he plays an important role.

Actually this whole write up is interesting I was gonna quote more but meh: https://themillieblog.wordpress.com/2011/11/06/burger-kitchen-on-kitchen-nightmares-exposed/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Weird BIAS posted:

Do they ever touch on the fact that most successful restaurants exist for 3-5 years only?

The stat is 70% of restaurants that make it past the first year only last another 3-5 years. 90% of restaurants still operating past the 5 year mark stay in business at least 10 years. Plus that data is skewed by the vast numbers of people that are just like the people on Kitchen Nightmares but don't get on TV or have a famous chef help them out.

What is interesting though is doing an internet search on the restaurants in the episodes, many of them end up closing anyway because they are so deep in debt or because the owner just changes the menu back to the old thing as soon as Ramsay leaves.

• Locked thread