Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Roger Craig posted:

Bobby Flay because Gordon is just acting

Watch him on the original British version of Kitchen Nightmares and he comes across as nice and reasonable. Americans want drama so he adopted a super rear end in a top hat persona

yea the swearing is almost friendly in the UK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
Yea he usually doesnt start off as the rear end in a top hat. Hes brutally honest.

Most episodes start

He arrives, super nice to everyone

He gets served poo poo food

They ask him if they liked it

Hes brutally honest and says no it sucked.

Then it gets personal and an argument starts.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Airborne Viking posted:

Is that the one where he tries cooking a bunch of the local dishes and ends up loving most of them up? Because that was hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDCROH7A2-4

Yea its really cool.
Hes not experienced cooking asian so hes basically just a gifted student learning for a week then helping cook at dish at a local restaurant. He does ok on the indian stuff.
They feed him tarantula in cambodia too. He goes hunting with the ex headhunters in north india and hes like "these guys are nice but you can tell theyll fuckin kill you if you cross them".

Its like five bucks on amazon video totally worth the money

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I wonder, is, is there anything he does like? :shrug:

theres been a bunch of episodes where he likes the food. Happens less often in the US version

Kind of self selecting though. If the restaurant had good food they probably wouldn't be failing so hard.

The F word has had 2 seasons where they look for the best restaurants from each cuisine

SurfaceDetail fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 5, 2016

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Gordon Ramsay is a Goon.

Things I think when I think goon

Good looking dude in good shape who runs marathons
wife and 4 kids
is a millionaire at the top of his profession
Is meticulous and neat
Type A
Strives every day to be the best possible and expects that of his employees
has employees

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
He does get legit mad at work but he always pushes himself twice as hard and is insanely nice by all accounts otherwise

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
I would let ramsay cornhole me if that wasnt clear already

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Roylicious posted:

That one was super depressing. Kid looked like he was going to have a nervous breakdown at any moment (understandably).
the son was def a goon.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
Please respect other, better cultures op

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Roylicious posted:

The stat is 70% of restaurants that make it past the first year only last another 3-5 years. 90% of restaurants still operating past the 5 year mark stay in business at least 10 years. Plus that data is skewed by the vast numbers of people that are just like the people on Kitchen Nightmares but don't get on TV or have a famous chef help them out.

What is interesting though is doing an internet search on the restaurants in the episodes, many of them end up closing anyway because they are so deep in debt or because the owner just changes the menu back to the old thing as soon as Ramsay leaves.

yea when these people go on the show most of them are literally only a couple months from closing. They get some new decor and some expert advice but you still have the same broken people running it.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Strategic Tea posted:

Does the son not have a legal claim to the money, given that it was presumably invested with the son's name slathered all over it as the beneficial owner?

Assuming it wasn't misrepresented on the show (a distinct possibility) son has a slam dunk legal case if he was over 18 when this happened. And a 5050 shot if his dad did this when he was a custodian. But theres no money to sue for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

criscodisco posted:

Wouldn't those numbers also be skewed in the other direction by places like Applebee's that never close, or are chains not included in the data?

I think that number refers to non chain restaurants. I know they don't include fast food like McDs, which actually aren't awful investments.

• Locked thread