Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
My sister is obsessed with Gordon Ramsey and will buy anything with his name stamped on it but every time I call while she's making dinner it's just a double oven full of Totino's for the hubby and kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Don't ever gently caress a chef because they rarely smell like anything but onions.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

MiracleWhale posted:

the great thing about marrying a chef is they always have a full set of sharp kitchen knives so if you think about it it's a problem that practically solves itself

Yeah but if they're finger banging you and a piece of onion slides out from under his fingernail that's how you get toxic shock syndrome.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

MiracleWhale posted:

yet another reason why I always ask my lovers to put on latex gloves before the fingerbangs commence

That seems like it would kill the mood. Besides, what are they supposed to let their friends smell later, the glove?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I'm phone posting from Bloomingdale's and they've never heard of it.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Roylicious posted:

I like his UK shows where it is more about cooking and he is way more mellow. He's said that the US producers and whatnot have told him to take it up a few notches for the US so that's why he is nonstop tripping out on those ones.

Honestly just looking at the production values is enough to tell you the difference between what the UK market expects vs what the US expects. Theirs is very low key, with soft music transitions, whereas in the US version the VO guy is practically shouting at you, with lots of loud bass-y "dum badum" pieces. They manage to make a show about cooking look and sound like Survivor.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
My sister has the hots for him, too, and I don't understand it. His face has the texture of a fat lady's butt.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Jose Oquendo posted:

I also love the idea of just cooking up some shrooms w/ salt and pepper. Never thought of it, but I think I like that more than the eggs.

Is that not a pretty common thing? Maybe my family just ate lots of mushrooms, but when I cook a steak or a big breakfast, I always do a side of sauteed mushrooms.

It's really top notch if you can find some morel mushrooms, but I haven't seen those at the grocery in ages. My dad and I used to "hunt" for them in the woods when I was a kid, and we'd slice them, dip them in for and fry them in butter. Good eats!

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

kiimo posted:

It was all funny watching the crazies up until that moment and then I was immediately enraged. This kind of poo poo happens all the time too. There could be a whole thread about former servers telling stories about getting ripped off by shady dickhead managers and owners. It always kind of irritates me when the media praises small business owners and vilifies corporations. I've witnessed so much bullshit from greedy, soon to be burning in hell small business owners that would never fly in a corporation.

I know the onus is on the server, but honestly most servers don't realize that. If they do know, they shut up about it because the manager makes the schedule so you don't piss them off or you wind up getting nothing but lovely lunch shifts.

When I was waiting tables, I got screwed over a number of times because people would "dine and dash" and I'd have to cover their bill, because "I should have been watching my tables better". I later found out that it was illegal to make me pay, but honestly if you're a server you probably don't have legal expertise. Doubly so in the pre-internet days, like when I was waiting tables.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

the great deceiver posted:

this one is absolutely brutal and that fat gently caress deserved all of it. jesus storing shellfish like that, what the gently caress was he thinking

That's the New Orleans one someone was talking about earlier. One brother was incredibly dim-witted, and the other was that dangerous mix of borderline retarded and very quick to anger.

The most confusing part was that the restaurant was basically two completely different restaurants crammed together with a doorway from one dining room into the other.

I love KN, but it's made me wary of small mom and pop restaurants, unless they have a long reputation of excellence. I wish Ohio would adopt California's system of cleanliness grades. A few months ago my partner and I went to a little Mexican place and the food was excellent. I went to leave it a nice yelp review and learned that it had been closed down twice in the past year for pest control and food storage issues.

I still left it a nice review because the food was wonderful, but it still grossed me out a bit. Sometimes I'm just better off not knowing.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I think "gash" is a lot more offensive than oval office. Also it hits the ear better.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

OctoberBlues posted:

Is that the one where the guy used the same menu and just put a sticker over it, lol

Yes. It's also the one where Gordon was going to cook them a meal but the clean plates were literally crawling with roaches. If I'm not mistaken, they also had a garbage can full of refried beans they were scooping servings out of.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Roylicious posted:

The stat is 70% of restaurants that make it past the first year only last another 3-5 years. 90% of restaurants still operating past the 5 year mark stay in business at least 10 years. Plus that data is skewed by the vast numbers of people that are just like the people on Kitchen Nightmares but don't get on TV or have a famous chef help them out.

Wouldn't those numbers also be skewed in the other direction by places like Applebee's that never close, or are chains not included in the data?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Who's on first?

• Locked thread