Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

As a fellow teacher, I'm really sorry you've had such a hard time. If you're unhappy where you are, though, I'd recommend trying to get a position somewhere else. I think it's important that you find a school that you feel glad to be at; I almost accepted a position at a different school than the one I'm currently at, but I started having nightmares about it, and I'm so, so grateful that I trusted my instincts. I'm in an LDR right now, and I've basically refused to move because I lucked into a job at an amazing school with a supportive administration and colleagues, and I'm terrified of rolling the dice again in a new school.

Good, supportive environments do exist, and what works for one person might not work for everyone, so don't be afraid to put feelers out if where you are is making you miserable. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

I dunno, it's def possible to teach without being an alcoholic or depressed (I'm neither, but I may just be a freak of nature), but it's gotta be the right circumstances, I think. My admins have always backed me up on stuff, which I've heard is sadly unusual. I also have a super high tollerance for student bullshit, and I think teenagers are hilarious. My students aren't worse than I was, they're just different, and I don't think that's bad.

I don't think that anyone should do the job unless they love it; not all the time, certainly, but at the end of the day if someone consistently hates it I really hope that they're able to find something they like more because everyone deserves that (and also the kids will eat them alive). Who knows, maybe I'll feel different in 20 years (I'm only on year 5, so I guess I still have time to be a burnout statistic), but I loving love what I do, and I want to keep doing it as long as I can.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Everyone talks about getting summers off as some huge perk, but honestly, that's time they don't pay you for, right? So, unpaid days off isn't really a great perk, in my opinion.

FYI, we do get paid during the summer, but it's for work we already did; technically the state holds back some of our pay so we get paid roughly the same amount every month, extending it through summer.

• Locked thread