Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I guess we accept and hope being a pilgrim from Mecca grants us some mercy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Getting an extra 50% on top of the pay we were promised is pretty tempting, and we don't know for sure that there are any bandits. Accept.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Three dinars is not worth the risk to life and limb. On the other hand, we have dragged Hakim out of his way to Mecca with us. We accept if only to not risk Hakim's anger any further.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
All we have to do is peek over some dunes, accept.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I'm sure it's PERFECTLY SAFE. Take the money and scout ahead.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Page 478 posted:

You go up into the pass. Reaching a ridge of rocks, you glance back to see the others watching you nervously. Hakim gives you a wave which is obviously meant to be reassuring. It only serves to make you all the more resentful that he has sent you on ahead as bait for bandits.

Climbing cautiously among the ridges, though, you find no sign of bandits. You are returning to call the caravan on when you are overtaken by the dusk. While up on the higher slopes, you hadn’t realized it was so close to sunset. Soon you are engulfed in darkness. It would be foolhardy to go any further now. You could easily trip in the dark and break your leg. But if you stay put there are other dangers – the chill of night and the wild creatures that might be even now emerging to hunt. You do not relish the idea of spending the night unsheltered in these hills.

Then you see a light. Going closer, you discover a hut perched on a crag above the pass.

If you knock at the door, turn to 425.
If you think that might be more dangerous than sleeping in the open, turn to 260.

: Have you even entered a mysterious roadside hut yet this adventure? I'm sure there's a wise sage awaiting you inside.

: What?

: The hut dwelling dispenser of wisdom! It's a CYOA staple.

: I have no idea what you're talking about.

: Your funeral.

Character Sheet posted:

Jay Sherifman the Nomad

Skills: AGILITY, FOLKLORE, MAGIC, WILDERNESS LORE

Life Points: 10

Dinars: 16

Possessions: Ring

Codewords: Hajji

Kills: Embracer, a guard, an Infernal Machine and the tiny man inside it, a pointy-toothed native, Ejada, the Moon Dog, Skarvench, our credibility as a tactician, any chance of furthering whatever the gently caress kind of relationship we had with Lucie, some unlucky guard, an enormous ceiling spider, a particularly punitive yet otherwise non-descript Judain, the physical manifestation of Hate, a nightcrawler, a particularly bulbous cactus, Necklace of Skulls, a necklace of skulls, some jerk vines, a troupe of post-apocalyptic hell-puppets, a weird future ghost thing, embroyonic cyber-spider mech, pretty much every conceivable thing (x2), the post-apocalyptic speed limit, a second weird future ghost thing (albeit vicariously), the bestest robofriendship we're likely to come across this side of godhood, two traitorous Bocheii, whatever remained of the concept of privacy, Vajra Singh, our last (probably) shot at godhood

Failures: Root'd to death, despair!'d, swallowed and digested by a Colossus beetle, ate a pig and failed to avert an ecological cataclysm, slave'd and toil'd to death, pulmonary arrownation, stabbed in the eyes and left to "live" off the land, lightly dragon'd, tree'd from a great height x2, Countless Swords of the Westermen'd, gale'd, yardam'd, rack'd, pulp'd, flatten'd, eat'd (nobley), rubble'd, cul-de-sac'd, what-once-used-to-be-the-harbor'd, three magical bodyguards'd, orgy'd, bitter life-sucking cold'd, cascade of rubble'd, cold'd, celestial darkness'd, mutant plant'd, second shot'd, hypnotic trance'd, reality ripped right out from under us'd, Volent'd

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
If this is going to be another "nomad hospitality" Wilderness lore check I'm going to be mad. Knock on the door.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

This is clearly a trap set by desert hags. Run away!

Brerose
Jun 10, 2016
Let's see what this is. Maybe it's a lonely old man who just wants some company and will give us some food for being nice people. Knock on the door.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

We have the right skills for sleeping in the open, but knocking on the door sounds more interesting.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Knock Knock!

Whose there?

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Knock on door

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
We are agile and determined enough to cross the desert safely; if we knock on the door surely whoever is inside will grant us hospitality.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 425 posted:

The door is thrown open and you are dragged inside. Your first impression is the stench. It is as vile as a charnel house, and your guts bubble in turmoil. The sight of the hut’s occupants is even worse: a morbidly pallid old she-ghoul and her two sons with faces of doltish evil. One of them holds you while the other gives you a painful poke in the ribs and says, ‘A fine morsel for the supper-table.’

‘It’s a mortal, Ma,’ says the other son.

‘I can see that, you stupid boy,’ replies the mother with a voice like a goat being strangled. ‘What’s it doing here?’

‘Probably looking for the rokh’s diamond eggs,’ suggests the first son.

She shakes her head. ‘No, wrong side of the Red Sea for that. Don’t you boys listen to a word your old ma tells you? Oh well, get it trussed up. I’ll stoke the fire.’

They mean to eat you!

Record the codeword Kismet, then decide what you’ll do.

You can fight (turn to 370 if you have FOLKLORE; turn to 305 if not), use MAGIC if you also have a ring (turn to 327), or try to trick your way out of this somehow (turn to 348).

: They definitely are not sages, wisemen, or seers. Heck, it'd be generous to even throw the label dullmen at them.

: drat, my bad. I thought huts were a given for your obligatory scholarly infodump. Is there a chance these are particularly well-read undead who just make a lousy first impression?

: You're welcome to step inside and check the walls for diplomas.

: ...I'll let you lead the way on this one.

Character Sheet posted:

Jay Sherifman the Nomad

Life Points: 10

Codewords: Hajji, Kismet

Kills: Embracer, a guard, an Infernal Machine and the tiny man inside it, a pointy-toothed native, Ejada, the Moon Dog, Skarvench, our credibility as a tactician, any chance of furthering whatever the gently caress kind of relationship we had with Lucie, some unlucky guard, an enormous ceiling spider, a particularly punitive yet otherwise non-descript Judain, the physical manifestation of Hate, a nightcrawler, a particularly bulbous cactus, Necklace of Skulls, a necklace of skulls, some jerk vines, a troupe of post-apocalyptic hell-puppets, a weird future ghost thing, embroyonic cyber-spider mech, pretty much every conceivable thing (x2), the post-apocalyptic speed limit, a second weird future ghost thing (albeit vicariously), the bestest robofriendship we're likely to come across this side of godhood, two traitorous Bocheii, whatever remained of the concept of privacy, Vajra Singh, our last (probably) shot at godhood

Failures: Root'd to death, despair!'d, swallowed and digested by a Colossus beetle, ate a pig and failed to avert an ecological cataclysm, slave'd and toil'd to death, pulmonary arrownation, stabbed in the eyes and left to "live" off the land, lightly dragon'd, tree'd from a great height x2, Countless Swords of the Westermen'd, gale'd, yardam'd, rack'd, pulp'd, flatten'd, eat'd (nobley), rubble'd, cul-de-sac'd, what-once-used-to-be-the-harbor'd, three magical bodyguards'd, orgy'd, bitter life-sucking cold'd, cascade of rubble'd, cold'd, celestial darkness'd, mutant plant'd, second shot'd, hypnotic trance'd, reality ripped right out from under us'd, Volent'd

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 22, 2016

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
They don't seem particularly smart, so we can probably trick our way out.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The old stories are full of wily beggars tricking wicked monsters. Let's continue that fine tradition.

Brerose
Jun 10, 2016
We're pretty good with folklore, and probably know these guy's weaknesses. Let's fight. Craftily, though.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Let's use magic. Our Djinn is probably a champion kick boxer or something,

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008
If one of the options is to summon a djinn to beat up some ghouls, I don't see how you choose anything else. Use magic.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Fight it out folklore-style!

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Might as well get some use out of that Folklore skill. Fight.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
fight (turn to 370 if you have FOLKLORE. I know how to fight. With Kung-Fu or something.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug
Use magic. Open sesame! :unsmigghh:

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Fight for our lives!

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Really? You guys were too sissy for Peaks of Slayers a couple pages ago but now you want to challenge three ghouls to a contest of fisticuffs?

How proud you have become. And how blind.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
No, you see, we know their weakpoints this way... or something. Anyways, items through which you can use MAGIC have had a tendency to break after use in the earlier books, so I'd rather save it for when it's the only option we have. Fight with Folklore.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 370 posted:

The two sons are stocky and strong, but you can capitalize on their slow wits and clumsiness. The mother will be harder to beat, because legend has it that a she-ghoul can only be hurt by a weapon made of wood. Furthermore, you must strike well with your first attack. There are countless stories of ghoul-witches who have been felled by one blow, only to be replenished when a second blow was struck.

Now turn to 305.

Page 305 posted:

The two male ghouls are as large as bulls standing on their hind legs. They are a lot uglier, of course. Uttering howls to make your blood flow like ice water, they launch iron-hard kicks at your shins while shredding at your face with their long talons.

If you have SWORDPLAY and a sword, lose 2 Life Points. If not but you have WRESTLING, lose 4 Life Points. If you have neither skill, lose 6 Life Points.

If you can still stand, you step forward over the fallen bodies of the brothers. You spare no pity for the likes of them – they were mere beasts who lived by preying on blameless travelers. But your real wrath is reserved for their evil dam, the vulture-faced crone who now stands spitting and snarling before you. You will take pleasure in ridding Creation of her loathsome life.

Seeing you to be a doughty fighter, she makes a lunge towards a cleaver hanging on the wall.

You can strike at her with your bare fists (turn to 413), with a sword if you have one (turn to 391), or else look around for a weapon (turn to 435).

: Hey guy, what happened to all of your Life Points.

: *gasp*

: Oh, there it is, in the pool on the floor. And the table. And soaking those twisted claws. And spurting out of all those wounds on your arms. Hey, are you OK?

Character Sheet posted:

Jay Sherifman the Nomad

Life Points: 4

Kills: Embracer, a guard, an Infernal Machine and the tiny man inside it, a pointy-toothed native, Ejada, the Moon Dog, Skarvench, our credibility as a tactician, any chance of furthering whatever the gently caress kind of relationship we had with Lucie, some unlucky guard, an enormous ceiling spider, a particularly punitive yet otherwise non-descript Judain, the physical manifestation of Hate, a nightcrawler, a particularly bulbous cactus, Necklace of Skulls, a necklace of skulls, some jerk vines, a troupe of post-apocalyptic hell-puppets, a weird future ghost thing, embroyonic cyber-spider mech, pretty much every conceivable thing (x2), the post-apocalyptic speed limit, a second weird future ghost thing (albeit vicariously), the bestest robofriendship we're likely to come across this side of godhood, two traitorous Bocheii, whatever remained of the concept of privacy, Vajra Singh, our last (probably) shot at godhood, the ghoul bros

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Since we left our wooden fists back with the caravan, we'd better look around for another weapon.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Grab a board or something I dunno

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
We don't have a sword, and fighting the two brothers barehanded got us mangled! BRING ME A WEAPON!!!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cathode Raymond posted:

Grab a board or something I dunno

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Ok, just wanted to be sure the thread was actually indulging in the fruits of our lore.

Page 435 posted:

You snatch up the wooden stick lying beside the door. As you throw yourself forward to strike, the she-ghoul’s bony fingers are already closing around the handle of the meat cleaver. You stumble off-balance against the table. Everything seems to be in slow motion.

Will you lash her across the knuckles to stop her getting the cleaver (turn to 455) or wait until you are in position to give her a more solid blow (turn to 33)?

Character Sheet posted:

Jay Sherifman the Nomad

Kills: Embracer, a guard, an Infernal Machine and the tiny man inside it, a pointy-toothed native, Ejada, the Moon Dog, Skarvench, our credibility as a tactician, any chance of furthering whatever the gently caress kind of relationship we had with Lucie, some unlucky guard, an enormous ceiling spider, a particularly punitive yet otherwise non-descript Judain, the physical manifestation of Hate, a nightcrawler, a particularly bulbous cactus, Necklace of Skulls, a necklace of skulls, some jerk vines, a troupe of post-apocalyptic hell-puppets, a weird future ghost thing, embroyonic cyber-spider mech, pretty much every conceivable thing (x2), the post-apocalyptic speed limit, a second weird future ghost thing (albeit vicariously), the bestest robofriendship we're likely to come across this side of godhood, two traitorous Bocheii, whatever remained of the concept of privacy, Vajra Singh, our last (probably) shot at godhood, the ghoul bros

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Wait, if wood harms ghouls on touch, why does she have wooden furniture around? Slap her knuckles for this breach of common sense.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Folklore told us we have to make our first blow count. Wait.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Wait

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008
Wait

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Wait for our opportunity to strike.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 33 posted:

Your blow splits the ghoul’s head like a gourd. Whatever spills out is not like any human brain: a quivering black mass that reminds you of a dead octopus. Retching, you cast the wooden stick aside and hastily search the hut for anything worth taking. You find 15 dinars in a jar over the hearth – money no doubt stolen from the poor souls the ghouls waylaid and ate. Add this sum to the amount recorded on your Character Sheet.

You also take a thick woolen cloak. You have no desire to spend the night here, and you will need something to keep warm while sheltering amid the rocks. The cloak is crawling with lice, but you hold it over the fire for a few minutes so that the smoke drives most of them out.

Add the cloak to your list of possessions if you decide to keep it.

Then turn to 80.

Page 80 posted:

If you have a cloak, turn to 35.
If not, turn to 260.

: There's brain gook EVERYWHERE.

: Dude! Slay it, don't spray it.

Character Sheet posted:

Jay Sherifman the Nomad

Dinars: 31

Possessions: Ring, cloak(?)

Kills: Embracer, a guard, an Infernal Machine and the tiny man inside it, a pointy-toothed native, Ejada, the Moon Dog, Skarvench, our credibility as a tactician, any chance of furthering whatever the gently caress kind of relationship we had with Lucie, some unlucky guard, an enormous ceiling spider, a particularly punitive yet otherwise non-descript Judain, the physical manifestation of Hate, a nightcrawler, a particularly bulbous cactus, Necklace of Skulls, a necklace of skulls, some jerk vines, a troupe of post-apocalyptic hell-puppets, a weird future ghost thing, embroyonic cyber-spider mech, pretty much every conceivable thing (x2), the post-apocalyptic speed limit, a second weird future ghost thing (albeit vicariously), the bestest robofriendship we're likely to come across this side of godhood, two traitorous Bocheii, whatever remained of the concept of privacy, Vajra Singh, our last (probably) shot at godhood, the ghoul bros, mamaghoul

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Mama Ghoul went out like a chump to a non-fighter. Who'd have thought?

Keep the lice cloak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ha ha, I'd definitely immediately turn back the page when seeing that option.

Do you wish to take the cloak? Y/N

Next page: Do you have the cloak? Y/N

I think it's best if we take the cloak

• Locked thread