Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I know its uproxx but heres a nice 3-yr old article on Muhammad Ali and Malcom X's relationship

http://uproxx.com/smokingsection/muhammad-ali-malcolm-x-fallout/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Doltos posted:

I think Robinson breaking the color barrier was an unbelievable impact on professional sports in the same vein as Ali's talk about Vietnam and racism in America. Only issue is Robinson was also a conservative republican who voted for Nixon and was all for the Vietnam war, so it's a little confusing to me when people here are praising his activism when he was really main lining traditional values of the era. Owens also wasn't really an activist at all and was fighting the much realer fight of getting paid so he could eat. I'm sure if he was in Ali's era he'd have had an easier personal life which would have allowed him to fight for his causes, but even then he was also clearly on record saying he didn't support the black panther salute at the Olympics.

So taking activism out of it, which was just one part of what made Ali the GOAT, if we're talking about pure impacts on sports I don't see how Robinson or Owens equals the other huge names of the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Soccer, and Boxing. I just don't see it. Apparently that makes me worse than Hitler again.

No one is saying you are worse than Hitler. I agree with you, of course the average American person is more likely to know who Gretzky or Michael Jordan is compared to Jesse Owens. The former are clearly much more famous. Johnny Manziel is more famous than Jesse Owens.

But it's just...that's a stupid, worthless point to make.

And yeah, Owens and Robinson weren't focused on activism primarily. But again, who cares? What is your point? What is "pure impact on sports" and why are you trying to rank athletes on such a dumbass metric.

• Locked thread