Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I've never once been honked at at a light but I've also never been dicking around on my phone and missed a green, I feel like people who complain about this stuff and insisting that it was the instant the light turned are probably not being truthful to themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

This Jacket Is Me posted:

That was a bullshit probation.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

One time a guy in a pick up did this then passed across a double yellow throwing his dog around in the truck bed like garbage. Reported the insane man to the police and I guess it was a slow news day cause it was on the news he was amped the gently caress out on meth and carrying enough to get distribution charges. Hell loving yeah

holy gently caress tht dude's a badass

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Celluloid Sam posted:

and geese, as well
much like people and people in cars, geese are assholes

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Applewhite posted:

This but ships navigating in a narrow channel sounding five short and rapid blasts on their whistle the second you try to cross their bow at less than 1/2 mile in a seven meter sailboat. Bitch, I wasn't impeding your progress!

:golfclap:

and why the eff are u prob'd rn? ur like one of the most quality posters here (and certainly not some kind of villain or thug either) and ur posts and content (especially the more "adult oriented" animated content) are what GBS needs right now to stay fresh while retaining it's original signature brand of humour (ie. "The Internet Makes You Stupid" lol)

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 4, 2016

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

symbolic posted:

much like people and people in cars, geese are assholes

Every once in while I see a goose that's gotten destroyed by a semi. Those are good days.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Novo posted:

i've adopted a really chilled out driving style as i've gotten older and i still make great time. pretty much every pushy idiot i run across on the highways or off ends up at the next red light with me.

You only notice it when this happens because the rest of the time when they made that light and you hit the red and had already forgotten about them. Also cause the light cycles they made the next 5 lights too and didn't have to a waste a bunch of gas stopping at every intersection.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Honking in Finland is rare enough that people on the street will turn and look to see what is happening.

That's my story. What is your honking culture like?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Elukka posted:

Honking in Finland is rare enough that people on the street will turn and look to see what is happening.

That's my story. What is your honking culture like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLUm3Q-7iZA

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

I think I might have been traumatized from being in accidents because now I drive under the speed limit, won't go through intersections or merge lanes unless there are no cars around, and am constantly paranoid of other cars merging into mine.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

You suck at driving that's why. You're supposed to pull into the intersection and make the left turn when the light turns red. gently caress you for not getting that.

Edit - Seriously gently caress you.

No... only idiot morons do this. This only makes sense if you can guarantee that the people in the oncoming traffic lane won't ever ever ever run a red light, else your stupid rear end is stuck in the intersection for ages while cross traffic plows into you out of spite.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

XMNN posted:

last week I was waiting next to a Mercedes at some lights going on to the slip road for the motorway

he pulled away really slowly so I passed him because I was in the outside lane and accelerating normally then merged and moved out into the middle lane

about two minutes later the guy passes me on the inside and pulls out right in front of me so I go over into the outside lane, then he pulls out in front of me again so I just go back in and slow down

then he moves back in front of me and is just driving really aggressively in super heavy traffic on a really dangerous stretch of road as I tried to avoid driving into him/anyone else

which went on for about 5minutes then for some reason when we hit free flowing traffic and could drive fast he goes into the inside lane and starts doing 60 mph

I have no idea what it was about my guess is he didn't like being overtaken by someone driving a smaller car or something to do with all the chemical plants in the area poisoning the locals

There is no such thing as a "super dangerous" stretch of paved road in the United States.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

If you don't drive like an rear end in a top hat in Chicago you'll either never get anywhere, cause an accident, or get shot. Sometimes all three.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ArbitraryC posted:

You only notice it when this happens because the rest of the time when they made that light and you hit the red and had already forgotten about them. Also cause the light cycles they made the next 5 lights too and didn't have to a waste a bunch of gas stopping at every intersection.

This never actually happens

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I do it pretty much every day driving up and down the main highway where I live. Sometimes I'll pass someone without enough time to make the next light but a good chunk of the time I'll make it and when i do the lights are set up so that you'll make the next several too.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

The Kingfish posted:

I live in the Midwest where nobody ever honks their horn unless there is danger of an accident.

Right? If there's honking, people almost died.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

In some towns or particular strips of road, the lights are most assuredly on a set timer and driving through on all greens is quite possible. In Modesto, CA, you could go from one end of downtown to the other without stopping at a dozen or so lights by going at or slightly above the speed limit. Was pretty cool.

E: the No Cruising signs were great.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The only city I've ever been in where you couldn't somehow time the lights was Vegas.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Kaedric posted:

No... only idiot morons do this. This only makes sense if you can guarantee that the people in the oncoming traffic lane won't ever ever ever run a red light, else your stupid rear end is stuck in the intersection for ages while cross traffic plows into you out of spite.

http://bc-injury-law.com/blog/left-hand-turn-red-faultless-intersection-crash

quote:

5. the plaintiff concluded, and was entitled in fact and in law to conclude, that the defendant’s vehicle did not present a hazard, that he had plenty of time stop (as other vehicles had done) and that it was safe for her to proceed with her left turn;

You're supposed to pull into the intersection and wait and if some clown runs the red light and hits you they're 100% at fault. If you're objecting on safety grounds I'd argue you're also far more likely to get road rage murdered by the guy behind you if you don't commit to a turn so he at least gets to at the next green light than you ever were likely to get killed by a dude outright running a red light.

Hell, people who pull far enough into the intersection to let a second guy get in on committing to the turn deserve nobel peace prizes for being super cool dudes.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

vyst posted:

This. If you're really that pissed off throw geese into the car

ftfy

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dogmeat posted:

http://bc-injury-law.com/blog/left-hand-turn-red-faultless-intersection-crash

You're supposed to pull into the intersection and wait and if some clown runs the red light and hits you they're 100% at fault. If you're objecting on safety grounds I'd argue you're also far more likely to get road rage murdered by the guy behind you if you don't commit to a turn so he at least gets to at the next green light than you ever were likely to get killed by a dude outright running a red light.

Hell, people who pull far enough into the intersection to let a second guy get in on committing to the turn deserve nobel peace prizes for being super cool dudes.

The driver who is going straight has the right of way always you retard

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The driver who is going straight has the right of way always you retard

Read closer, the guy going straight in that example ran the red light. You only have the right of way when you're going straight if the light is green, dumbass, that's what the light being green means

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 4, 2016

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

Read closer, the guy going straight in that example ran the red light. You only have the right of way when the light is green, dumbass, that's what the light being green means

Newsflash : if the guy going straight ran the red then so did the car going left. Again, the person going straight has ROW (right of way )

E:NICE EDIT BITCH I SEE U

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I edited my post to say what I actually meant to say

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
"The light has turned red. This means i, a gbs dweeb turning left, have right of way. I'm a stupid retard"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As opposed to what, backing up directly into the traffic that now occupies the line or being in the middle of the intersection when the cross-traffic goes??? Your literal only option is to complete your turn lol

edit: If your real complaint is "you shouldn't pull out into the intersection on a solid green left turn" then say that instead so people can poo poo on you

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Newsflash : if the guy going straight ran the red then so did the car going left. Again, the person going straight has ROW (right of way )

E:NICE EDIT BITCH I SEE U

Congrats you have no traffic in whatever bumfuck town village you live. If the rest of us never sat in the intersection and turned left when the light hit red, we would literally be stuck in our cars until we died of dehydration.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
you can be a chill driver and still sync up with green lights. your travel time depends on your average speed not your relative position to other cars

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wizchine posted:

Congrats you have no traffic in whatever bumfuck town village you live. If the rest of us never sat in the intersection and turned left when the light hit red, we would literally be stuck in our cars until we died of dehydration.

Lol you dumbfuck let me spell it out for you:

-creep into the intersection when you're turning left
-yield to cars driving straight (even at red lights) bc they have right of way

Hth

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Lol you dumbfuck let me spell it out for you:

-creep into the intersection when you're turning left
-yield to cars driving straight (even at red lights) bc they have right of way

Hth

Congrats for coming around - that's what all of us do. I don't know what bullshit you were arguing before.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wizchine posted:

Congrats for coming around - that's what all of us do. I don't know what bullshit you were arguing before.

Silly bitch...

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Kaedric posted:

You're wrong and a baby

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
Amateur bisexual teens honking horns dot com

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNqIJ3e0OJw

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Good song

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Novo posted:

you can be a chill driver and still sync up with green lights. your travel time depends on your average speed not your relative position to other cars
Right but that's not the original point we were discussing, some dumb people extrapolate "oh a fast car passed me but we ended up at the same light" to "every car that passes me is going to hit the same lights I do" and that's just plain factually wrong, it's a confirmation bias thing where you notice it when it happens and don't notice when they do end up making the next light and shaving a few minutes off their trip.

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene
Left hand turn spergs: whats this all about??? Unprotected lefts or something??? Cause here in the San Diego area I think I know of maybe only one remotely close to me and I avoid it because i'm a babby who likes my left hand turn lights just telling me when to go and i probably would do it wrong because im not from some backwoods shithole where its feasible to turn left without a signal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Prude posted:

Left hand turn spergs: whats this all about??? Unprotected lefts or something??? Cause here in the San Diego area I think I know of maybe only one remotely close to me and I avoid it because i'm a babby who likes my left hand turn lights just telling me when to go and i probably would do it wrong because im not from some backwoods shithole where its feasible to turn left without a signal

Some intersections either have a green light left where you have to yield or start with an arrow but eventually end up being just a regular green with yield and in those situations if traffic is heavy enough to not have any regular openings it's generally standard practice to enter the intersection on green and then make the turn when it hits red because there's enough of a window for 1 or 2 cars to get through the empty intersection before crosstraffic starts flowing.

Honestly this shouldn't be a thing and it's mostly just poor planning on whoever designed those lights if it's a regular problem at those intersections but this is the solution people rely on in those situations and the locals will get upset if a clueless person doesn't realize they'll never have a good chance for a left without doing it.

• Locked thread