Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
mfw i troll my org's top laner by making him pick teemo and we're gonna win with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
oh poo poo right i was in like two fantasy leagues lmao

also are they grandfathering in all the players who were literally about to earn residency status or are they just flipping a giant middle finger to everyone

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

YancyQ posted:

Keith will forever be Piglet's white whale

Keith always plays better when Piglet's career is on the line.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
so have riot said whether or not theyre going to get booths for worlds this year?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

RealFoxy posted:

Phreak just had an argument with Hotshot and Regi. They both wanted booths because of how distracting it is. Phreak said some bullshit about how it "Disconnects the fans"

They're probably trying to get another one of those matches in the middle of the crowd. Every pro player complains about how hard it is to hear comms because of all the chanting, Phreak retorted "But you can feel the vibrations even in booths.

Flash fact: It's about trying to drown out the fans so you can actually hear what your team is saying, not about trying to deafen them for baron sneaks. But Riot Games knows more than OGN who have been doing E-Sports for decades.

and even then vibrations from the booths aren't all that pronounced and people in this game cheer for literally anything happening (like ward kills, scuttle crab frags, missed cannon creeps), and its not like baron sneaks even happen anymore. when was the last time someone even did one?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Crazy Larry posted:

Does DOTA2 still have the thing where you can stream the matches directly from the client, along with all of the extra charts of stuff like gold generation/damage/etc.? Cause that's something I really wish LoL would do with the new client.

you betcha. almost anything that you wish league had, dota almost certainly has. replays, sandbox, extensive custom game designing, in game public tournaments

Kashuno posted:

I just read a nice twitter conversation between regi and phreak where regi calls for booths and phreak unironically asked him how he knows booths will be better if he's never been in booths in front of crowds the size of LCS finals

wait is that really what he said? I saw a little of it but holy :riot: if thats what he ends up implying

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

RealFoxy posted:

Yeah, someone linked a video of some huge E-sports All-Stars match where they showed off how effective the soundproof booths were. You could barely hear anything, and when the host came out it was pretty loud, but Phreak's response was "That event isn't as big as League's World Championships

Oh yeah, the video they did at last year's TI. And he's wrong, that Dota event is ABSOLUTELY bigger than Worlds

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
wait, I havent been following league drama much lately, did riot leave all star voting up to the players coached and poo poo? because that seems like an incredibly :riot: move

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Going back a couple of pages, if Riot did something like, I dunno, make some skin for a champion that had a high impact on that year's competitive scene, then, oh I dunno, maybe make a themed skin for that champion, maybe around the Blue color schema they tend to use for their competitive events? Yeah yeah, sounds good so far (maybe a little to out of the box for riot), but wait for it, Riot then takes all the sales from the skin and (wait for it) adds that money to the (WAIT FOR IT) prize pool for Worlds? Whoa! Crazy! Ridiculous! Real off-the-wall idea I know, just spitballin here, but I can't help but feel that maybe, just maybe, the small independent studio of Riot Games could maybe spice up their big Championship Prize Pool money with that idea.

Also the fact that Riot still considers 10 bans to risky to implement is just really stupid. They always say that they don't want team strategies to revolve around banning out one specific player but it's almost always mentioned that if shutting down a pro team is as easy as shutting down one player then that team probably deserves to take the loss until either that player can get a deeper champion pool or their team can play with the fact that they essentially had their overall team comp potential expanded by five more champions they are able to consider for pickings.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Tsm going to summer split finals to face cloud9? I'm shocked

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I really doubt it was an issue of tsm essentially having a fourth ban and that fourth ban being the cause of clg's loss. Sure it may have been irritating but if your p/b relies on one of two gimmick comps and you're vs the best team in your region you're probably going to get styled on regardless

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

ArbitraryC posted:

e: Like you can point to a gold lead but clg has been statistically down in gold in most of their games, having 2 kills and their team working together is an important thing even if they were down 600. To pretend it's just about the gold lead is to ignore literally the entire season as they've consistently been pretty mediocre about gold.

I coulda sworn that I read some analysis somewhat recently that showed that on average clg had the most dominant early game of any lcs team

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
that is a loving pendragon level response holy gently caress lmao

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
i swear to gently caress I just had this discussion in the main thread but literally all riot has to do is take like 25 or 50% of the money they get off of the Championship line of Skins and putting that into the prize pools.

also that response is almost the same level of response he gave when the whole SpectateFaker debacle was going on, Tryndamere needs to be one of the people Riot's PR department does not allow access to his own social media accounts lmao

e: sneaky on Tryndamere's response

Luna Was Here fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 23, 2016

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

*searches for the tweets where monte talks about the player salary problems in LCK*

hmmMmmm

yes because casters need to be concerned with every single issue that they cannot have an impact on the outcome of, rather than being upset at getting dicked out of your team and then it comes out fan favorite lcs teams are doing the exact same poo poo yep SeemsGood 4Head

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

he's only talking poo poo about this because they're not his employer, and not because he's some righteous bad rear end crusader of justice.

thats actually not what I said or made him out to be at all, but nice try

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
When is that bit?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
any other talking point aside that caster poo poo is some real fucky poo poo.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Sexpansion posted:

Acknowledging Luna's good work here

I finally made it big boys

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Jerkface posted:

Thats actually why I posted that Dyrus tweet, because its your question getting that sweet sweet exposure !

I actually posted the original clip like 3 pages ago and then put it in the mod skype for dyrus's stream which is probably how he saw it, good use of $4.20 imo

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

dicks assassin posted:

If only Riot could figure out how to let LunaWasHere's poor financial decisions contribute to the prizepool, LCS's money problems would be solved.

unfortunately all 12-16 year old me has accomplished is lining the pockets of Marc Merrill when instead I couldve just thrown money at tsm and clg buying all of their jerseys and ensuring they were financially viable

also lmao at all the people going "well maybe the orgs are just HIDING the money...." I don't buy that poo poo for a second. The contracts these players have are almost certainly in the upper echelons of 5 digits, so with 5 players per team that's already a huge chunk of whatever money sponsors are bringing in. You also have to factor in living costs: all of these teams are based in Los Angeles because they HAVE to be because that is where the LCS studio is, and LA is one of the most expensive places to live in the US so housing and food prices are probably through the roof on org's that house anywhere from 5 to 8+ people (accounting for coach and management staff that may or may not be on site). I'm not sure if Regi is overstating the financial situation or not but if one more org were to come out saying how much Riot shafts them I'd be inclined to believe it. The fact that Riot is actively trying to stop team's from doing sponsor promotion and halt progress on bringing new sponsors in should be a big red flag to anyone, both as a casual consumer of the pro scene or a top dog of the esports environment.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Jerkface posted:

please donate to imaqtpie

gently caress that imaqtpie probably makes more than most lcs teams do yearly, give me your poo poo instead

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Nook posted:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sp1j7d

NME Owner Chachi has some stuff to say about Marc Merill's post. Notable because this is a perspective from a bottom end LCS team which we almost never hear about.

holy gently caress you talk about dropping bombs, this is some poo poo right here

"read the twitlonger you fucks posted:

We have three Smash players and pay their rent, losing money, because we like Smash -- for perspective, in order to lose as much as LCS cost us in three months, we would need to fund those players with no income for 25 years.

you wanna talk about a fuckin loss leader hot drat

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

IXIX posted:

So if these team owners don't like the patch schedule (understandable), what is the ideal patch schedule? Is it one patch per split? But you're still probably signing players on 1 year contracts so you can potentially get screwed by the midseason patch. Is it one patch per season, with the patch for next season announced but not implemented before worlds so you know what player types to be looking for?

Ideally the best time to do big shake-up patches is either right after Worlds ends or right after MSI. The MSI patch is still a risky time to do it because it means the break period between Spring and Summer Split meant for players to relax in the relatively short offseason between those two splits is instead going to be consumed by learning new strats and game plans so you can try to end up on top on the new patch ecosystem. The best time to do the big shake up patches that change some fundamental thing about the game (it always seems to be turrets) is right after Worlds, not right before. Doing it right before is both not enough time for teams to come up with strategies leading into the second most important tournament of their careers (number one most important is relegation tourneys HEH) but it also means that players who were gods on the previous patch system might no longer be able to output the same kind of performance they have been for sometime and can lead to teams looking like crippled versions of their previous self.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of skins, seems that when riot uses any of the team orgs logos on the world championship skins are used the teams aren't compensated LMAO

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

The Erland posted:

I really don't get how this situation has devolved this far. The big teams like TSM/CLG/C9 clearly have enough collective leverage over Riot that it should be relatively simple to force their way to a better deal.

yeah except Riot has the ultimate bargaining chip in their hand: they can go "nah, get outta here" and ban all 3 orgs from the lcs. doing so would mean nuking an unbelievably large chunk of their player base away from the game but if it came to it it would be the ultimate nail in the coffin for Riot, so its something I can absolutely see happening and I doubt any of the orgs want it to happen because it would mean that ultimately their LoL teams would be meaningless so they would likely release them after giving them some post-nuke guidance and most of these orgs are player first so I doubt they would risk pushing Riot to the absolute breaking point and instead are content with keeping things the way they are. very unfortunate but its why I imagine all this stuff seems to be so stagnant

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Killed By Death posted:

I would wager at least 10 of the 15 players currently starting on TSM/CLG/C9 could very easily make a large income for themselves via other eSports methods (mostly streaming) - they could even stay on their team while they did it, Riot can't possibly stop them. Or they could just go play for other teams. Riot banning the players for the actions of the org would be so unbelievably unconscionable, in both ethical and PR terms, as to essentially be impossible.
I wouldn't be surprised. I can also see Riot trying to weasel out of TPA/SSW because "those teams don't exist anymore", at the very least.

While streaming would be an option for the players I don't think Biofrost or Hauntzer stream ever so they don't have an audience to fall back on. However (and I probably should have said this in the first post) is that if Riot somehow got to the point of bargaining where they decide to go full nuclear I would sort of expect some mass revolt from all of LCS, that if the 3 longest standing teams in NA got banned for arbitrary reasons then that would be all of LCS going with them. All of the LCS owners seem to be somewhat close to each other so I would expect some form of solidarity and I would be pretty surprised that in the event of full nuclear meltdown, the rest of the LCS orgs just shrug their shoulders and go "eh"

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Allaniis posted:

I don't know about streaming being sustainable for very long. Dyrus and OddOne used to be super popular when they were active pros, but their viewership has tanked to around 1k. Now, the only ex-pro I think who can manage to hold a crowd is qtpie.

I don't know much about Oddone's viewership but I can say that that's not close to Dyrus's numbers. he usually sits at like 3-5k when hes playing other games (usually Overwatch) and will jump to 10k+ when he switches to League. I think Oddone is mainly a variety streamer but I was pretty sure his viewership was average 3k daily, both of those guys are sitting pretty.
e;

Libertine posted:

NB seems even with him but is on way less whenever I check. Pure anecdote though. Where are the stats for top twitch streamers?

you can go to twinge and see broadcast stats for most everyone. for instance, here's imaqtpies from today: http://www.twinge.tv/imaqtpie/streams/#/22982958224

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

TLDR
"regi is right"
"im a loving idiot"
"we're going to do way better next year I promise"
"but don't worry, we've already set the bar pretty high in the past for the poo poo we need to fix so I'm sure next year will be better"
"please stop hating me"

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

panda clue posted:

Oh my god I just fell in love with Regi all over again.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sp1mpa

So far it has been confirmed to have been signed by TSM, Immortals, CLG, TL, C9, Apex, and Envy. He isn't going to let them piddle around for a year and not do anything. Good for you, Regi.

Oh my god REGI needs to chill the gently caress out I can only get so erect

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

anybody who gets into "professional" overwatch should be embarrassed with themselves.

Lolwut

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

RealFoxy posted:

The day they couldn't use their own cameras to see the players so they had extra OGN crew in the booths wearing cut-out faces of all the players to compensate was great

you cant just go and say something like this and then NOT link it, seriously hosed up imo

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

iSurrender posted:

It's exactly like Brexit in the sense that one party and their supporters think they have leverage because the other party needs them, when in reality you have very little leverage because they need you less than you need them. Yeah Riot "needs" orgs (orgs' actions can help or hurt Riot's bottom line.) just not to any extent close to what being in the LCS can do for them.

I still don't see this as being a parallel to Brexit, it seems more like a Pixar vs Disney situation where Pixar wanted more control over their poo poo and Disney told them "lol no" and then Pixar hosed off and did A Bug's Life and (i think) Monster's Inc and Disney was like "haha jk can you come back", except in this case instead of character control its revenue control/franchising, the difference between the two is iif all of the LCS orgs go the 'hosed off' route then there might not be a Disney/Riot/LCS to come back to if the Solomid Invitational ends up being more popular than whatever the heck shitshow Riot throws together

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Bell_ posted:

Sorry, that was a bug Ekko.

is there a clip of this?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
nvm i found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0kkaTqGYng
that is the most brutal creep block second only to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-tGm1vkaAc

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Nook posted:

what is this kassadin on my screen

who,,,is.,,,he?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
c l pee

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Doublelift carrying clg to world's as usual

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Wuxi posted:

Is there even any midlane talent in NA? We got Bjergsen/Jensen/Froggen who are all european and then Pobelter who for all his talent really isn't known to show up in big series' and then that gaping void.

Pobelter was on clg the only time they ever looked like a force to be reckoned with last year and since then it's been clpee 24/7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
holy loving poo poo
https://twitter.com/lol_tyler1/status/770045246210240512

• Locked thread