Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

rabidsquid posted:

why was GBM standing motionless in mid before he died

He's listening to Riv who's having a very bad word salad day, and his brain broke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

rabidsquid posted:

There is zero future flexibility. They're not going to replace Febiven or Rekkles or Yellowstar. Which means they have future flexibility in importing a top laner. Which is the exact same.

Yeah, this is what makes it so baffling. Unless they know Yellowstar is going to retire before next season and wanted to lock in Kikis while he's still available, this doesn't make sense in the short and mid-term.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

henkman posted:

On the whole this is how I feel as well, but every time they try to they come up with some really weird and convoluted way to do it. On the other hand I don't have any easier ideas myself

TBH, I'd rather have them keep firing the poo poo cannon and seeing what sticks to stop Xv0 laneswaps than the alternative of giving up. The timing could be better, though.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

toaster? are you okay?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Has Pulse used that "He who controls the Splyce controls the universe" line before? Because it was nosold by everyone.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Firebert posted:

When Korea sends its players, they're not sending their best. They're not sending Faker. They're not sending Ssumday. They're not sending Gorilla. They're bringing toxicity to our soloqueue. They're sending tiltlords. They're sending boosted animals. Some, I assume, are decent players.

:vince:

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Libertine posted:

Why the gently caress would side selection be the same for all five games in a series?

Because both sides get to pick which sides they get (1,3,5 for higher seed, 2,4 for lower seed), and one side hates counterpicking while the other side likes to counterpick.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Libertine posted:

Yeah but in evaluating how good a team is (ostensibly the purpose of these tournaments) being able to do both is crucially important. I'm not sure why it's not Blue/Red/Blue/Red/Higher Seed Choice as a format.

:riot:

But yeah, I don't disagree.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Luna Was Here posted:

wait, I havent been following league drama much lately, did riot leave all star voting up to the players coached and poo poo? because that seems like an incredibly :riot: move

I think it was supposed to be balanced out by the fact that Player of the Game awards were also being added to the MVP calculations. It's still pretty :riot:.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Libertine posted:

Despite never winning a single relevant match in their entire team history people in the LCS studio really like chanting U-NI-CORNS.

They got to the EU LCS finals in their first split, didn't they?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Lovechop posted:

:gonk: :gonk: :gonk:
:gonk:
:gonk:

:gonk:       :gonk:

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Yeah, it's their playoff record. Cloud 9 is 1-0 in playoff series in summer. It's a stupid thing to track given that it's a single-elimination tournament, but probably not the most stupid thing Riot has tracked.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Lovechop posted:

for just a few dollars rivington bisland the third will shout out "weed poop" for all to hear

Today's word salad brought to you by weedlord420, who paid $4.20 for me to read the following, etc etc.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Powercrazy posted:

And the capitalists will regret it once the workers of the world unite and institute full communism now.

I know this is now the Bad Analogy thread, so this following post is probably off topic but Riot makes money by viewers. The brands built up currently are one of the major factors in people watching, and if a large section of fans no longer have a team solely because Riot told everyone to gently caress off, they will probably not come back. This is the owners' leverage, and it's enough to probably get a few more concessions out of negotiations.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

The chance of either side going nuclear is slim. It should be zero, but Merrill may still want to see what his knee tastes like after trying his foot and his shin.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

This is the best pick and ban analysis from Riv all split.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

well, at least he went with titanic rather than ravenous?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

dicks assassin posted:

what is happenin

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Savage Cracker posted:

Makes you appreciate Riv a lot more; he at least manages to utter random words instead of random letters

I dunno, Pastry seems to just be getting overexcited. Riv gibberish happens at the weirdest times.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

The epic nerves meme

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Wol posted:

IDK wtf your actual position is here but if C9 swaps out Meteos for Contractz next year I might have to be a C9 fan

The joke is that you replace Meteos with Rush.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Kashuno posted:

Jatt tells you why the monte vs jatt question is actually just fine

https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sp2jvc

Link is dead.

But yeah, the question is generally fine. It's bullshit, but it's not any more bullshit than most bad interview questions are. The real shitshow portion is the fact that there's a right answer when asking to pick between them, and on top of that, answering the question wrong gets people shouting. If it was an analytical question, where you compare strengths and weaknesses, etc, it would maybe even approach a good question.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

dicks assassin posted:

Maybe this is a stupid question, but if Riot pays the teams, and tells the teams they have to pay the players a certain amount from that money, why doesn't Riot pay the players directly?

Are players considered Riot employees? Indirect pay is usually one of the better ways to establish someone as an outside contractor instead of an employee. Only good reason I can think of.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

rabidsquid posted:

that was a really prescient statement, dragongem

I had something resembling an effortpost ready to show how corporate structures can make it so two companies that share a parent can literally have no control over one another. Then I read Dragongem's post and nodded sagely.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

rabidsquid posted:

a lot of band wagoners are hitched up to the BUNG TRAIn and i could not be more sick about it

I'm on this bandwagon only so that DoA can say the thread title at some point outside of the group stage.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

exethan posted:

he's still a retard for doing all of this through twitter

Normally, I'd agree, but Riot only actually reacts to things if Reddit and/or Twitter get in their face about it. It's not good.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Smol posted:

Regarding that Riot esports profitability article, I don't think they're even trying to add all the extra skin sales and player acquisition to the equation. Because their esports ventures are sure as hell profitable, they just don't want to look like it.

Well, it's also easy to say it's not profitable when you have these extended battle arena sets built all over the world and rent arenas for days/weeks at a time. There are a lot of expenses they can file. Alternatively, there was the other article that says they have no idea what they're doing, so it could be that too. Riot Esports should be in the black, even if just barely. If it's not, they're probably just overspending on Cool poo poo(tm).

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

moush posted:

If someone offers you a job for less salary then you deem acceptable, you turn them down (especially if there are people that think it's good enough). Only a baby starts a crusade on social media to tell the company that they're wrong.

Counterpoint: Riot probably wouldn't have changed anything without a social media shitstorm, because that's how they do things.

Basically, in the world of Riot vs Monte, everything is wrong and the only definite winner was going to be fans of internet drama.

EDIT: Alternatively, both sides won since freelancers are getting paid better and Riot doesn't have to deal with Monte anymore. gently caress, I don't know anymore.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Typical Pubbie posted:

For C9 to have any hope at worlds Smoothie must take on the mantle of Hai Hai Lam and spend every second post-laning phase telling Meteos where to go and what not to do. Jensen needs to do the same except during the laning phase. Impact solo kills everyone and Sneaky welcome to my butthole weaboo bitch cummies jerk off in the bush.

stop sharing c9's secret strats. has anyone seen the earring recently?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Typical Pubbie posted:

Signaling to your team mates that an ability will be ready in 5 seconds is effective use of comms. It's everything else that's the problem. I mean I guess you could say CUM SHOT is indicative of a distinct lack of esports professionalism but it's really a minor thing.

C9's efficient use of comm memes has gone down drastically since season 4.

Seriously, if this is a typical set of comms for C9, I imagine Reapered is either contemplating quitting or throwing Memeos and Sneaky out a window.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

RealFoxy posted:

They can't claim that LCS is a loss-leader if they turn around and refuse advertising because it distracts people from buying new skins. That means that the goal of LCS is advertising and they're just investing it to grow their company, like a commercial :v:

That's what a loss-leader is. Just because they can theoretically not make it a loss-leader by losing some of their control over branding/etc doesn't take away the loss-leader status. They're selling a product (LCS) at a loss to make money on other products (skins, champions,etc).

EDIT: Bad terminology.

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 22, 2016

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Luna Was Here posted:

Lmao if you buy riot saying the lcs isn't profitable. There's no way it isn't profitable anymore. The only reason riot says the lcs isn't profitable is because they are counting purely ticket sales and any on-site merchandise that is sold(MAYBE online lcs logo T-shirt sales but probably not). They aren't counting anyone who goes and buys a skin because they saw bjergsen or meteos using it and thought it looked cool, they don't count anyone who watches esports and buys a T-shirt from the merch store because they saw a bunch of people wearing it and thought it was cool, and they apparently aren't counting the Challenger or championship or team skin lines when they say that their esports division runs at a loss. There is absolutely no way the lcs isn't profitable, otherwise it would've been killed the moment Tencent entered the picture

LCS isn't profitable. Riot Games is profitable. LCS is a loss-leader. LCS makes Riot Games more profitable. This is how people talk about businesses, especially when you're part of a multi-billion dollar company.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Luna Was Here posted:

Except for the part where that's not what a loss leader is

It's not a perfect example, but it is a loss leader. It's a product that is not profitable by itself, but creates a profit for the company at large beyond the costs of the initial product through selling related products.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

rabidsquid posted:

we almost certainly will never know, either. even if a party involved in any of this did release some numbers we'd need total transparency from everyone and that will just straight up never happen. maybe some things would get cleared up if riot hired a commissioner to oversee lcs/act in the owners interest, but that just doesn't seem likely as no esport has ever had something like that happen. that would necessitate a players union too and real sports that have had unions for a long time still gently caress that up tremendously so i dont have a lot of hope for a league players union

Also, if Riot became publicly traded, but lol on that happening any time soon.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Wol posted:

don't tell me that's an actual position monte holds

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I want to listen to weirdos like Deficio, who asks his co-casters to kiss him and talks about Kench all the time.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Kibner posted:

I only watched the last 10 minutes of this game. I think I'm the real winner.

hell same

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Safety Scissors posted:

Relax boys C9 just wanted to get control of the game at 69 mintues. Leaked coms confirm this.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

"we made a cumback" -Jensen 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Jerkface posted:

OH MY loving GOD I JUST REALIZED THEY COULD HAVE TOLD METEOS THAT HE WAS PLAYING THE FLASH WOLVES AND MAYBE HE WOULD HAVE GANKED

:vince:

• Locked thread