Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Gazpacho posted:

psychiatric science is not bad, the OP's issue is with psychiatric and broader mental health practice which is poo poo

Also the dearth of research on the effect of psychotropic medication on children and adolescents, which is pretty alarming given how often they are prescribed amphetamines, antipsychotics and SSRIs.

One of the issues is that there simply aren't enough child psychiatrists. It's a notoriously low-paid specialty, but even if it paid more I'm not sure how many more psychiatrists would go that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Emils katt posted:

You're mostly correct OP. The problem is anti-depressants are being prescribed too liberally by doctors often not trained in mental health, sometimes only after a quick 15 minute talk with the patient. Too many times you meet a patient on medication where even a simple short or medium term therapy would do wonders because, lo and behold, if you spend some actual time with the patient and trying to figure out the source of his or her problems, some obvious self-destructive behavioral patterns (including thinking) often emerges. Preferably everyone prescribing those pills should have some form of therapeutic training to increase their understanding of these sorts of problems, enhancing their ability to determine what kind of help is best for that particular individual (which in some case will be medication).

Then there's the loosey-goosey nature of diagnosis itself, and the fact that usually insurance won't cover therapy or medication without a diagnosis. It's as if medical billing as applied to psychiatry was set up by people who thought MH diagnosis had objective meaning.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sergg posted:

Try taking care of a paranoid schizophrenic patient when they aren't on meds and see how fun that is. Why yes, I DO love it when a dude flies into a rage and smashes up the facility with a wooden board and threatens to murder the staff because of the 'hidden microphones'.

I have, I still have the same concerns about clinical diagnosis and med management though.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Brainiac Five posted:

Huh, so you're willing to split hairs over this difference, in order to win this argument, while imputing your desires onto me, because you are cowardly.

*writes "aggressive" in notebook*

• Locked thread