Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

AARO posted:

Where did I criticize antipsychotics?

Some people need antipsychotic drugs. But they are probably given out too often as well. These drugs actually shrink the size of the patients brain so they shouldn't be given out willy nilly.

I think a better approach would be to talk to the schizophrenic about the hidden microphones. Why do these microphones matter? Even if they are real how can it hurt them that someone is listening to what they are saying. If they are trying to hide some criminal details of their lives then that is what should be addressed. Whether or not the hidden microphones exist isn't the real issue. It's about trying to get them to live in their reality without the feeling of distress.

Like if they say "The water is poisoned and only I know about it". Don't say "No it isn't poisoned!" Say "Ok, we'll get you some bottled water so that you can avoid this." That is true therapy. Helping people cope with their own reality.

There's a gigantic distance between the best practice of meeting a patient where they are at and enabling their illness. When your "own reality" involves hidden microphones and poisoned water conspiracies, the objective of any mental health professional worth a poo poo really ought to be an ultimate reconciliation of one's "own reality" (I.e., delusions) with actual, tangible reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread