Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
agreed op, they are overprescribed but also clinically useful in some cases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
there's always alcohol

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
once i was prescribed xanax and threw out the whole bottle unused. then i moved out of the PNW and enjoyted life again

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
psychiatric science is not bad, the OP's issue is with psychiatric and broader mental health practice which is poo poo

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Oh hey, this actually isn't GBS. Sorry, I got confused.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

AARO posted:

I think a better approach would be to talk to the schizophrenic about the hidden microphones. Why do these microphones matter? Even if they are real how can it hurt them that someone is listening to what they are saying. If they are trying to hide some criminal details of their lives then that is what should be addressed. Whether or not the hidden microphones exist isn't the real issue. It's about trying to get them to live in their reality without the feeling of distress.
Please don't try this at home, validating crazies has a very poor track record of helping them. I appreciate critique, but don't dare start saying "Why didn't anyone think to try _____." They thought of it.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 4, 2016

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Can you bold the part of that that says "help schizophrenics by agreeing with them that the lizard people are real"?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I don't believe that your sources say that it should be a tactic of therapy to actively affirm a patient's delusions, but if they do say that, then they are bad.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Brainiac Five posted:

I'm glad that you're such an intellectual titan that you stand firmly convinced that the psychiatrist should start pummeling the recalcitrant schizophrenic with their fists to exorcise the hallucinations, and feel no need to consider any evidence to the contrary, code jockey.
I'm sorry that you are so incompetent at perceiving the difference between "active affirmation" and "passive acceptance" that you feel compelled to use plat powers to win this silly argument.

• Locked thread